PDA

View Full Version : Fire at my apartment

viperous
09-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Fire on the 8th Floor (http://www.nicksimonsen.com/2007/09/14/fire-on-the-8th-floor/)

Awesome, just when I was about to get cozy and go to sleep, the fire alarm went off. Not my apartment one, the hallway alarm.

At first I wasn't sure what to make of the situation, but after I started hearing doors opening and people taking the stairs, I decided that it would be a good idea to leave too. You could smell smoke as you passed the 8th floor.

Nothing really big happened. Though I counted 4 fire trucks at the scene (4th Ave, 4th St SW). Stood around for 20 minutes before they let us back in.

But those 20 minutes of standing gave me time to think about one thing. I have a shit load a electronics to lose to a fire. I know it's not as valuable as pets, but it's still a lot of money.

PS.
The firefighters were pretty calm handling the situation. :thumbsup:

jdmXSI
09-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Good to hear everyone is ok

JRSC00LUDE
09-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Think of it as a gentle reminder to buy insurance. Did you happen to see any hot neighbor chicks running down the hallway in their panties?

teggypimp95
09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Did you happen to see any hot neighbor chicks running down the hallway in their panties?

I like where your heads at :poosie:

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-14-2007, 09:03 AM
I have an ex-classmate who lives in that apt building... Good to hear that everyone is ok. How bad was the damage, and did you find out what the cause was?

viperous
09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Think of it as a gentle reminder to buy insurance. Did you happen to see any hot neighbor chicks running down the hallway in their panties?

Sadly no, most were literally fully dressed. Maybe next time :(

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
I have an ex-classmate who lives in that apt building... Good to hear that everyone is ok. How bad was the damage, and did you find out what the cause was?

I don't know yet. Even in a full elevator on the way down this morning was pretty silent.

eina15
09-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Wow, glad to hear you/everyone else was ok.

Fire Insurance FTW...its reasonably cheap and so worth it. Although, its not like you'd be able to replace pictures etc., at least you won't be left with nothing!

codetrap
09-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah. Anyone without tenants insurance is a complete fool. For the price of 4 starbucks a month, you can insure your place enough to replace everything, as well as cover secondary residence while your place is getting fixed.. and a whole bunch of other crap.

The whole, "it'll never happen to me" is all fine and dandy, but people tend to forget that it's not their own stupidity they're insuring against, it's the stupidity of the other people i the building.

Case in point, a kid and his dad in my old building thought it'd be ok if they had a campfire in their bathtub. Gutted their suite, and caused a ton of water/smoke damage to surrounding suites.

The people who had insurance were upset. The people who didn't figured the building insurance would cover them. They got quite the surprise...

eina15
09-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
The people who didn't figured the building insurance would cover them. They got quite the surprise...

Oooh yeah. I think many, many people are relying on the building insurance...which covers just that, the building. Anything inside those walls is up to you.

If you own the unit, you should also make sure you increase your insurance if you do any upgrades. Someone we know replaced their bathroom lino to tile, but didn't up their insurance. Their toilet broke, flooded the bathroom and ruined the flooring (as well as the ceiling in the unit below them). They went through insurance thinking it would all be replaced to what it had been.....instead, they got some crappy lino back.

ken-gsr
09-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Definitely get insurance! It is just stupid not to. That way when your stuff goes up in flames - who gives a shit (as long as everyone is ok). You will get all new toys (probably better then what you had before).

frozenrice
09-14-2007, 02:10 PM

Owasina Hall (high rise student residence) at SAIT was awesome for that. :thumbsup: