PDA

View Full Version : is my laptop out for the count?

ercchry
09-14-2007, 02:04 PM
alright so to day all my electronics hate me, but the worst of it has to be the laptop, that fucker is pissing me off

so this is what happened, yeasterday the think was acting up a bit, the computer that im on right now never once lost the internet but my laptop would lose it and find it every now and then, so no biggy. but then it started taking forever to load video (you tube) it took over 10min to load a 2min video so i got pissed off and closed it (so didnt turn it off just in hibernate)

alright so to day i go to open it and it resumes windows and then my desktop pops up and i get a blue screen saying that the computer has shut down windows to prevent damage or some shit, so i restart it and then it loads up normal, i log on and then when my desktop loads i get the same message, so i turned it off

now since the last time i had this problem (last year) it was from my wireless internet card deally, i took it out then turned it back on and then the only this that pops up now is a black screen with the words

"opperating system is missing"

so yeah everything is in nice and tight and from the last time i used it till this happened i didnt even move it

so if it is fucked for good is there anyway to get my files off of the hard drive? because i really want all of my music, pictures, photoshop, etc...

thanks for any help

Skyline_Addict
09-14-2007, 02:12 PM
i have the exact same problem, though i don't know its cause. do you have a dell by any chance?

ercchry
09-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
i have the exact same problem, though i don't know its cause. do you have a dell by any chance?

no its a toshiba, but my dad's dell has a problem kinda like mine too, but his sounds like the harddrive is about to blow up when he turns it on, mine makes only a noise of the disk drive oading for about half a turn then nothing

GOnSHO
09-14-2007, 02:27 PM
try and take a pciture of the blue screen for me.. im a computer tech at a large company and just had that happen with another toshiba here.. i could tell you whats wrong with it, it could be simple or your laptop could be toast...

ercchry
09-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
try and take a pciture of the blue screen for me.. im a computer tech at a large company and just had that happen with another toshiba here.. i could tell you whats wrong with it, it could be simple or your laptop could be toast...

problem is i can no longer get the blue screen is just has the toshiba loading screen for half a second then it says that the OS is missing :banghead:

coolme
09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
"operating system is missing" can mean the following:

1.) Your hard drive has bad sectors in the the boot sector, in which case, your hard drive is beginning or has died.
2.) You have some kind of boot sector virus that's corrupting your Master Boot Record.
3.) Your boot files are corrupted. (bootmgr in vista or boot.ini in xp)

anarchy
09-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm no tech but maybe it's your harddrive that's gone.
If it's making funny noises and that's where your OS is located, then that could be your problem.

Sounds like your computer is starting up so your mobo, processor is working I think.

Once again, I'm no tech, just someone that's run into their fair share of computer problems.:banghead:

ercchry
09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by coolme
"operating system is missing" can mean the following:

1.) Your hard drive has bad sectors in the the boot sector, in which case, your hard drive is beginning or has died.
2.) You have some kind of boot sector virus that's corrupting your Master Boot Record.
3.) Your boot files are corrupted. (bootmgr in vista or boot.ini in xp)

can i fix any of these problems?

Originally posted by anarchy
I'm no tech but maybe it's your harddrive that's gone.
If it's making funny noises and that's where your OS is located, then that could be your problem.

there is no noises

GOnSHO
09-14-2007, 02:44 PM
coolme is right.

1. not fixed easily.. might be able to save files still but....
2. again not easily fixed.
3. easy but not really.

ercchry
09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
coolme is right.

1. not fixed easily.. might be able to save files still but....
2. again not easily fixed.
3. easy but not really.

well all i really want is the files, but its like 15gig worth atleast...

coolme
09-14-2007, 03:32 PM
1.) Get a live-cd (I prefer Bart-PE)

2.) Get a live-cd with anti-virus software

3.) http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/xp_repair_fix_master_boot_record_recovery_console Use this instead

There are probably easier ways to solve you problem, but these are the solutions that I can think of right now.

ercchry
09-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by coolme
1.) Get a live-cd (I prefer Bart-PE)

2.) Get a live-cd with anti-virus software

3.) http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm

There are probably easier ways to solve you problem, but these are the solutions that I can think of right now.

what is this live cd you speak of?

i dont have my original xp disc with my computer but my brother has a toshiba satellite m50 (i have a satellite pro 6100) and i found his product recovery disc but when i put it in my computer it just didnt load, just a half assed attempt at spinning

coolme
09-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

what is this live cd you speak of?

i dont have my original xp disc with my computer but my brother has a toshiba satellite m50 (i have a satellite pro 6100) and i found his product recovery disc but when i put it in my computer it just didnt load, just a half assed attempt at spinning

Well, the recovery disks should load, I am not sure why that doesn't work. But a live-cd is a cd that allows your computer to boot off of without the need for a harddrive. It allows you to access your data in the damaged harddrive, so you can back it up or do a virus scan...etc

What I'd do is backup all your data first, then do a MBR repair.

ca18det240sx
09-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Get a laptop to PC hard drive converter, plug your hard drive into your home computer, and transfer off whatever you can get.

anarchy
09-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

there is no noises
Sorry I misread your post - it was your dad's hard drive that made noises.

But I think the laptop to PC converter might work. A buddy of mine has done that before.