PDA

View Full Version : question about dessert at silver Dragon

Kritafo
09-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Okay when we got for Dim Sum, we get the Almond Flavored Gelatin dessert with fruit salad on top. anyone know when you order it they pour a clear liquid on it, what is the liquid? I bought the gelatin yesterday at T & T but it says nothing about the liquid they pour over

dj_rice
09-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Cream of Sum Yung Gai

infected
09-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Isn't it just a syrup?

l/l/rX
09-15-2007, 01:06 PM
im pretty sure its just a syrup...

Kritafo
09-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Okay so what is the syrup? Your right, it's thick anyone I have tried to look it up on the net, but I don't even know what it's called? I mean I have the dessert gelatin box but it just shows the picture of the dessert...which is the same one we get at Silver Dragon.

Pihsiak
09-15-2007, 06:49 PM
When you open a can of fruit cocktail, there's a sugary liquid right?

pretty much it me thinks.

dj_rice
09-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
When you open a can of fruit cocktail, there's a sugary liquid right?

pretty much it me thinks.

That liquid is a simple syrup and natural fruit juices mingled together from canning

The syrup the OP is talking about my guess is just plain ol simple syrup which consists of sugar and water boiled down

scboss
09-16-2007, 04:04 AM
The Almond Flavored Gelatin dessert with fruit on top doesn't come with a syrup poured on top because the almond flavored gelatin powder already contains sugar. But if there really is a syrup....I'd imagine they are just using the syrup that comes in the canned fruit cocktail because it's slightly flavored by the fruit.

The tofu gelatin dessert which sometimes comes with fruit on top which does come with syrup is called dao foo fa. If this is in fact to what you refer, the syrup that is poured on top is a simple syrup boiled with ginger. Good luck.

Kritafo
09-16-2007, 09:17 AM
so they syrup they are pouring over the dessert I know is whiter than the syrup I suspected it was some kind of sugar mixed with the fruit juice. It isn't clear like the fruit juice would be

Thanks for all the help, I will make it today and let you know if it resembles the flavour. I hope it does, my kids love that dessert!

dj_rice
09-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Coconut milk?That is my only other guess...

n1zm0
09-16-2007, 03:32 PM
my mom has made this before when i was younger, it was just water and sugar boiled, she used to put a few slices of ginger in it too iirc.

Strider
09-16-2007, 09:25 PM
It's a simple syrup made from sugar and water with a bit of ginger.