PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Wins 2004 Stanley Cup

max_boost
07-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Just signed Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne

I bet you Patrick Roy is itching to come out of retirement with a deadly team like that!

Sakic
Forsberg
Hejduk
Tanguay
Kariya
Selanne

Kariya signed for 1.2million U.S :dunno:

Hakkola
07-03-2003, 03:28 PM
F'in sweet!!!!! Selanne is my favorite player, and Roy was one of my favorites, my favorite goalie for sure, hipe he comes back :) Are they one year deals like everyone else is getting?

ecstasy_civic
07-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Just signed Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne

I bet you Patrick Roy is itching to come out of retirement with a deadly team like that!

Sakic
Forsberg
Hejduk
Tanguay
Kariya
Selanne

1.2 million??? thats not very much. he was playing for almsot 6M last year i believe.

/////AMG
07-03-2003, 03:29 PM
:eek: hells ya, sweet. Hey you got a site where you got his info from? nhl.com? I gotta tell one of my friends, Hes always lookin at hockey stats in school lol. He has to know. Thanks.

Altezza
07-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Sweet! The Avs have always been my fav...

88CRX
07-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

1.2 million??? thats not very much. he was playing for almsot 6M last year i believe.

He actually made $10m last year.... so maybe he just wants to win the cup and he took less money for a better chance...

and seriously i had to go check out espn.com cause i though you were pulling my leg :D

Hakkola
07-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Nobody is gonna get a big contract this year, with the talks starting after this season, salaries will be going down.

max_boost
07-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Derian Hatcher just signed for 5 years 30 million U.S with Detroit.

The reason why 1.2million is because that will be under the league minimum salary and being a 10 year veteran in the league, Kariya will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of next year.

Both are 1 year contracts, with the new collective bargaining agreement coming up, it may possible wipe out the entire 2004-05 season.

The NFL rocks, salary cap and revenue sharing :D

ecstasy_civic
07-03-2003, 04:15 PM
holy shit, hockey is going to hell

K271
07-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Nice, at least no one can say Kariya sold out for the money! Hope Hasek comes back too! Then Detroit and Colorado will beat each other silly in games.

accordboi_02
07-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Man that's crazy... in today's NHL, having not one but TWO huge scoring lines??? It'll be interesting to see if the Avs can set a new record for points in a season; if they stay healthy, I don't see how anyone can beat them - all that's left for them is to pick up a good goalie, i.e. Cujo...

91_Integz
07-03-2003, 05:23 PM

The reason why 1.2million is because that will be under the league minimum salary and being a 10 year veteran in the league, Kariya will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of next year.

isn't it because Anaheim still owes Kariya money too? :dunno:

sexualbanana
07-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Selanne signed first and Kariya wanted to play with Selanne. The best seasons Kariya had were with Selanne so he took the cut.

5.9 R/T
07-04-2003, 12:51 AM
You can't buy the cup. Av's will be lucky to see the second round.

The_1
07-04-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
:werd: just like Detroit and NY Rangers with all that money spent and didnt even make the playoffs

sexualbanana
07-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

I think it's gonnaget interesting in the 2nd round with Detroit, Vancouver and Dallas. Personally, I think Anaheim won't make a dent because I feel they had a very lucky year. Giguere did an unbelievable year but a lot of goalies have a great year, get their teams deep into the playoffs and have done nothing since. Jim Carrey for example. Wild are getting there, but they probably have another year of building to be a serious threat.

Of course a lot of people thought this last year. Fortunately for teams like Detroit and Colorado, they've learned that they can't be complacent in the playoffs and will actually play hard this year.

max_boost
07-04-2003, 02:21 AM
Money can't buy the cup but experience, talent, and desire will prevail!
The problem with the Rangers, EGO, all about the $$$. I doubt they give two shits about winning.

Bananaboy is right, complacency kills. I hope the AVs have learnt their lesson after dropping three 3-1 series leads now. After winning two cups, they are just reloading for another run. Avs are going to steamroll through the regular season, only question mark is goaltending.

And then there are teams like the New Jersey Devils, just play the system.

max_boost
07-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by The_1

:werd: just like Detroit and NY Rangers with all that money spent and didnt even make the playoffs Blame it on Giggy, the man was possessed.

lammer
07-04-2003, 02:25 AM
CALGARY FLAMES ARE GONNA LIKE WIN THE CUP MAN! hahaha...what a shame..calgary hasn't do any damage to the NHL...they should start winning games soon

but i dont think avalanche are gonna get very far without a goalie. but if they got a good goalie between the pipes then i will be back to make a nother opinion about them.

SI-vic
07-04-2003, 03:12 AM
In Baseball, its possible to buy the World Series.
Look at the NY Yankees!

Team_Mclaren
07-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Aves :thumbsup:
Now all they need is a good goalie, hopefully no cujo!!!:thumbsdow caseu he just SUCK!!!!!
I hope they get provin (spell!?):D he may be old but his stil good

Ferio_vti
07-04-2003, 06:28 PM

Yah, what's up with that?? Quite the pay cut there.

evylgrynn
07-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Once he has a huge year (playing with all those guys, its pretty much a garantee) then he can sign with anyone anywhere, probably for big bucks again.
I dont think Avs need a great goalie, just a good one (remember Detroit with Osgood) with all that firepower
but they still will never match the old Oilers

Dope Dealer
07-04-2003, 11:14 PM
I heard that both Selanne and Kariya might sign with the Ducks next season (Avs contracts are for only one year).

We'll see....

max_boost
07-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by evylgrynn

Once he has a huge year (playing with all those guys, its pretty much a garantee) then he can sign with anyone anywhere, probably for big bucks again.
I dont think Avs need a great goalie, just a good one (remember Detroit with Osgood) with all that firepower
but they still will never match the old Oilers Don't forget Tom Barrasso

No team can rival the Oiler's Dynasty unless they have a prolific scorer to match up against Gretzky. Only person that comes to mind is Lemieux and his early 90's Penguins.

boosty
07-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Kariya has made enough money for his grand kids to retire... he's got way more money than he knows what to do with and the driving force for him is to win a Stanley Cup. Even though the Avs didn't do so hot in the post season this last year, with two first lines (karyia, sakic, selanne) and (hedjuk, forsberg, tangay), if they can land a semi decent goalie (wouldn't surprise me if Cujo waves his no-trade clause to play for the Avs), there's no doubt they'll be the heavy favourites to win the Cup this coming season.

evylgrynn
07-05-2003, 08:24 AM
Don't forget Tom Barrasso

No team can rival the Oiler's Dynasty unless they have a prolific scorer to match up against Gretzky. Only person that comes to mind is Lemieux and his early 90's Penguins.

Yeah, too bad Lemieux's stuck playing with a bunch of minor leaguers, he could have signed anywhere else (Colorado??) and made back the money he would have lost with the Penguins
But his loyalty is impressive

But Colorado's lineup is probably the best around in the last few years, I think Detroit's in trouble even with Hasek!!
I dont see the Avs getting Cujo, unless Detroit pays part of his salary and I don't know if they want to help out their main competition

accordboi_02
07-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Avs probably won't get Cujo... You think Detroit would WANT to give him to the Avs? No way!!
But the Avs will most probably pick up an experienced goaltender - they are putting all of their eggs in this one year; once it's over, Forsberg, Sakic, Kariya & Selanne are all free agents, and we also can't forget about the labour issue at the end of this season.
They would be just stupid to not get a goaltender; isn't Byron Dafoe still available???

sexualbanana
07-05-2003, 10:39 AM
I think the Avs will do fine with Aebisher. He's not great, but he's pretty damn good. Good enough to keep the Avs winning, especially with the depth that Avs have.

Hakkola
07-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Colorado wouldn't take Dafoe, they have a history of only really employing french canadian goalies, I liked Denis, they should have kept him, I'm sure they'll find someone good though, maybe aebischer will be ok though.

sexualbanana
07-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
they have a history of only really employing french canadian goalies,

That's because for some odd reason, most of the good goalies are french.