PDA

View Full Version : 2007/2008 U of C Engineering Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

nobb
04-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Well in regards to the mandatory ESS thing, there was a vote on how students felt before they implemented it. But like most people, I am pretty apathetic to these things so I was too lazy to vote. I didnt think they would actually get enough votes, but I guess the people who voted were mainly the ESS fanboys.

I did not notice any difference before and after the mandatory membership. Maybe there was an extra free bbq or something. Money probably goes into that stupid poets thing which only a handful of people care about.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Just finished the 317 exam, I don't think it was that terrible... we'll see when the marks come back, haha!

Eleanor
04-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Out of curiousity, who did you have for 317? Sun, Boyd?

IncredibleToad
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Boyd, Sun, it doesn't matter cuz he'll probably get Sudak next year, and it's going to suck.

Eleanor
04-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by IncredibleToad
Boyd, Sun, it doesn't matter cuz he'll probably get Sudak next year, and it's going to suck.

I don't find sudak that bad, his notes are good, he does them way too fast, but not too bad.

CaptainCanuck
04-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Damn, really? I thought he'd be lax about that sort of ting, but I really can't feel sorry for anyone that got booted, I assume he made it abundantly clear beforehand what calculator they needed - Schlenker is anything but ambiguous. Especially when he's ranting about Saskatchewan. :rofl:

ENGG 317, Away! Prepare for rape! :cry:

As long as the calculator is a regular scientific (NON-alphanumeric storage) its fine, you can get by w/o a shulich one under the ECON prefix.

The reason alot of people get kicked out is because they are dumb enough to write formulas/cheet sheets on their calculators and calc covers. He sees stuff like that, and he sends you packing.

gretz
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
gretz - jeremy - grad. 3 year mechanical engineer

arian_ma
04-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I don't find sudak that bad, his notes are good, he does them way too fast, but not too bad.
Man what are you talking about lol his notes are terrible!
He starts off every major section with "assuming you know all of the theory behind stress..." Like no, I don't fucking know the theory, and I don't know what the 39 different letters in this equation mean so why don't you take one minute in the first lecture to define wtf these letters are so that I don't have to go to hell and back to find out wtf is going on.

His examples are half assed, he skips vital steps which confuse the fuck out of anyone trying to study out of his notes, he assumes you know (and remember) everything, and during midterms and assignments he makes up problems which no one in the class has ever seen anything of the like and expects us to solve it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the class, I just think he could have done a WAY better job.

For example: we had Dr. Sun for that one tutorial, and she spent like 15 minutes saying "Here's what this formula represents and this is what this variable means and does" and I was like...oh...that's it? Are you serious? Why was I confused for so freaking long.

/RANT :whipped:

gretz
04-25-2008, 02:11 PM
no matter what course you are taking with physics, stress/strain, geartrain ratios, calculus to back solve... the profs never tell you what you need to know - they can always do a better job

BerserkerCatSplat
04-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Out of curiousity, who did you have for 317? Sun, Boyd?

I had Federico, he's a really nice guy but his teaching methods leave a lot to be desired. He's better than Lepeng Li, but I'd say Boyd's probably the best of the bunch, followed by Sun.

Originally posted by CaptainCanuck

The reason alot of people get kicked out is because they are dumb enough to write formulas/cheet sheets on their calculators and calc covers. He sees stuff like that, and he sends you packing.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Although, I took the evening lecture that was mostly 40 year old guys and they cheated like crazy. :rofl:

Schwa
04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Cheating is the only way to stay ahead in engineering. :O

JoniBoy
04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
Cheating is the only way to stay ahead in engineering. :O

If you consider using previous year's lab reports as a..."reference", then yes, it is the only way haha

IncredibleToad
04-25-2008, 11:03 PM
What are these roadmaps everybody speaks of? I don't need a map to get to the Mech building...

479 FTMFL....tomorrow is judgement day

A|pine
04-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Sudak is going to Australia so he may not be teaching it =0

XylathaneGTR
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM

Damn, really? I thought he'd be lax about that sort of ting, but I really can't feel sorry for anyone that got booted, I assume he made it abundantly clear beforehand what calculator they needed - Schlenker is anything but ambiguous. Especially when he's ranting about Saskatchewan. :rofl:

ENGG 317, Away! Prepare for rape! :cry:
WHen i took 209 in the F07 semester, he mentioned mutltiple times through out the class to use ONLY the Schulich Calculator and nothing but.
Like i said, when i was writing the final, the TA actually picked up my calculator and checked to ensure that it was a schulich approved calculator when they brought the attendance sheet by...

Eleanor
04-26-2008, 07:10 AM
What are these roadmaps everybody speaks of? I don't need a map to get to the Mech building...

479 FTMFL....tomorrow is judgement day

LOL, i don't like the term roadmap, it's more of a street sign :thumbsup:

badatusrnames
04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
T4gUSdTY15I

Now I just hope I didn't fail too many courses and it isn't permanent freedom!!

Aleks
04-26-2008, 06:24 PM
I am glad they did it. What's the point when you can program everything into an HP?

I used my TI calculator that I bought for $19.99 in Walmart in grade 10 all thru Engineering. I didn't even know how to use an HP. Never had any need for it. :zzz:

gpomp
04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
ah yes, the university of calgary engineering department produces yet another year's worth of elitist pricks. can't wait to see what's in store next year. :thumbsup:

Eleanor
04-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
ah yes, the university of calgary engineering department produces yet another year's worth of elitist pricks. can't wait to see what's in store next year. :thumbsup:

Wow, what entailed that comment?

gpomp
04-26-2008, 06:36 PM
the comments on page 5, when you kiddies got called out by a real engineer.

Eleanor
04-26-2008, 06:40 PM
How did we get called out, n00bit had no idea what he was talking about. :nut:

badatusrnames
04-26-2008, 06:45 PM

Maybe you're getting Schulich confused with Haskayne?

Eleanor
04-26-2008, 06:48 PM
^ :rofl:

Skyline_Addict
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM

^^ thanks for the advice with the Schlenk, I'll definitely use it on him for econ209...I took econ201 with him and I'm still in awe at how much of a machine he is...i took the evening course and he could talk and draw his supply/demand curves for 2.5 hrs, only stopping for a 5 minute break to refill his water bottle haha

yeah. he is not human. in my Natural Gas Markets course, he wrote notes down on a projector for the entire class of each and every class and everyone had to be on caffine pills just to keep up with him. i would've gladly paid 20 dollars for him just to print off the notes from which he transfers onto the projector. would save everyone alot of time and trouble.

IncredibleToad
04-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Yep, got the same deal even in econ201

BerserkerCatSplat
04-26-2008, 11:46 PM

lol wut

I'll be the first to say that there's a ton of assholes in this faculty, but I wouldn't say that disliking an ill-conceived attempt at unnecessary standardization makes me an "elitist prick."

sabad66
04-27-2008, 01:19 PM
So, does anyone else think they got 50% on the ENEL327 final yesterday?

LuxCars
04-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

i heard about that test. my friends took it...but they think they got 30%

diamondedge
04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars

i heard about that test. my friends took it...but they think they got 30%

I hope I got 30%...christ. The last question required us to sketch the amplitude response of a signal. Like, 232 times. I swear to god I've never seen the word sketch used so many times in one question.

And they put another exam in our gym too, SOCI something. Some people finished so quickly (apparently) that they left right as the 30 minute elapsed...

Gabe

CaptainCanuck
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

Holy! 50%!?!? You must have aced it!

Seriously man, when i took that course, my prof guaranteed our class that everyone would pass....and sure enough i made it through without even knowing convolution.

sabad66
04-27-2008, 11:57 PM
haha well I lied.. I think I got 30% max lol. That's a good sign if everyone thought it was hard though..

arian_ma
04-28-2008, 12:27 AM

lol wut

I'll be the first to say that there's a ton of assholes in this faculty, but I wouldn't say that disliking an ill-conceived attempt at unnecessary standardization makes me an "elitist prick."
lol :werd: would you rather do things 'properly' with absolutely no direction and get 30% on every single lab and assignment or follow some direction and learn while you do it and get a good mark at the same time?
I guess I am a prick too.

Eleanor
04-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I guess I am a prick too.

You are a prick :poosie:

IncredibleToad
04-28-2008, 04:40 PM

You are a prick :poosie:

You love getting pricked

461 was a shitshow today, thank god that's the end of THAT chapter

Eleanor
04-29-2008, 09:30 AM

You love getting pricked

461 was a shitshow today, thank god that's the end of THAT chapter

SUMMER IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

IncredibleToad
04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
SUMMA SUMMA SUMMA TIIIIME!

Geography took 15 minutes to write this morning haha

Have a great summer everyone

Schwa
04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Eleanor and IncredibleToad, are you guys going on internship?

IncredibleToad
04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
absolutely!

sh0ko
04-29-2008, 02:23 PM
that 327 was garbage.. i heard fear say to leung "how come no one knows how to answer these questions"

for f*** sake.. i ended up like dancing at the front for like 30 minutes then just peaced

Eleanor
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah, i'm going on internship as well. Start on monday.

diamondedge
05-01-2008, 01:23 AM
GL, hope you enjoy it.

ENEL 327 - something I don't have to think about until bloody marks are posted.

Gabe

sh0ko
05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
^^^ oo gabe gabe gabe!!

327 was stupid

tha_bandit
05-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 93accord
so i'm taking ENGG 349 :( this spring and its a different prof this year >> "Zhongchao C Tan". anybody taken a class with this guy before? the previous prof had open book exams

^^still looking for answers, anyone else with us?

...BTW did anyone start getting their marks back.....i sooooo Scared about my last two exams!

IncredibleToad
05-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I had Tan teach ENME341 (fluid mechanics I) and he is a really reasonable prof, he seems to keep things pretty simple and straightforward. We had weekly assignments and quizzes every two weeks, the quiz would just be a question straight off the assignment, give or take a few numbers changed.

His midterm and final didn't have any nasty surprises, it was all similar to stuff we had done before and if I remember correctly, a question or two were from his 'recommended practice problems list' and he was great at answering any questions you had on the exam.

I had no idea he would teach 349, pretty much a course from hell but I don't know how well Tan would be in effectively communicating the material to you guys.

In any case...good luck and god bless :eek:

Eleanor
05-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah I had him for 341 also. The course itself was pretty easy and he seemed to do a good job, but when we got to ENME 495, (Fluid mechanics) he was apparently supposed to cover a lot more material then he did. :dunno: Our 495 prof was kind of pissed that we didn't know what he was talking about cause it wasn't covered in 341. I don't know who's to blame but just a heads up.

badatusrnames
05-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by tha_bandit

...BTW did anyone start getting their marks back.....i sooooo Scared about my last two exams!

I've been checking ten times a day since I finished, I find that ENGG profs take soooo long to get their grades up! I hope that just means that they are being thorough.

I'm incredibly worried about two of exams as well... I can't stand this waiting!

r0g3r
05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by tha_bandit

^^still looking for answers, anyone else with us?

when i missed dr.li's classes i usually go to dr.tan's 349 lecture in the afternoon and I thought he was by far the best, I find that dr.sun is horrible, I don't know why people say shes good??

dr.tan goes step by step through all his problem assignments that he hands out almost every class. :D

diamondedge
05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
ENEL327 Posted on Blackboard
WOO never have to take that again.

Gabe

tha_bandit
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
ENEL327 Posted on Blackboard
WOO never have to take that again.

Gabe

:werd: :D

ZigZagZ
05-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Taking 349 & 325 this spring..
I heard from a bunch of people that Dr.Tan is a good
prof and easy quizzes.

LuxCars
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Did they have to curve that ENEL327 exam?

tha_bandit
05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars
Did they have to curve that ENEL327 exam?

prob....i seriously thought i got a 25-30% but ended up above class avg. :dunno:

r0g3r
05-07-2008, 08:12 PM
has anybody taken ENGG 513 yet? I'm wondering what type of course is this? (does it require midterm/final?) Also, what is the difficulty level of this course?

jwslam
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
anyone else fucking fail ENGG311?!?!

and the summer one is limited to 24 ppl and it's already full?
wtf am i supposed to do now?
is there ways i can shuffle 4th year option courses into my third year (coming) so that courses that require 311 as prereq i can take in 4th year? so that i don't have to take an extra year?

BerserkerCatSplat
05-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
anyone else fucking fail ENGG311?!?!

and the summer one is limited to 24 ppl and it's already full?
wtf am i supposed to do now?
is there ways i can shuffle 4th year option courses into my third year (coming) so that courses that require 311 as prereq i can take in 4th year? so that i don't have to take an extra year?

A friend of mine failed it as well, he's going to get his exam back and see if he can wring some extra marks out of it. I passed with a pretty average mark, which I'm quite happy with considering how badly I screwed up on the midterm. :rofl:

jwslam
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM

A friend of mine failed it as well, he's going to get his exam back and see if he can wring some extra marks out of it. I passed with a pretty average mark, which I'm quite happy with considering how badly I screwed up on the midterm. :rofl:

i did SO bad on the midterm. which prof did you have?

badatusrnames
05-07-2008, 09:57 PM

I passed with a pretty average mark, which I'm quite happy with considering how badly I screwed up on the midterm. :rofl:

Exact same boat for me... the thing that baffled me is that I walked out of that midterm thinking I did well and completely bombed it. They really weren't generous on giving out many part marks for it though, it was pretty binary marking, either right or wrong...

Grade deadline is tomorrow at 4:30 and I only have one back so far... ENGG profs are sooo slow... All of my exams were in the first week too.

Pahnda
05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
To the people above, I thought ENEL 327 was one of the 'gimme' courses in 2nd year...

Maybe it's just that my friends and I had Fattouche for it or something.:dunno:

BerserkerCatSplat
05-07-2008, 10:17 PM

i did SO bad on the midterm. which prof did you have?

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Exact same boat for me... the thing that baffled me is that I walked out of that midterm thinking I did well and completely bombed it. They really weren't generous on giving out many part marks for it though, it was pretty binary marking, either right or wrong...

Pretty much what got me, they gave almost no part-marks for understanding the process, etc. Well, that, and I apparently had an attack of temporary retardation or something. Worst mark I've ever gotten on any test, ever. I had Clarke for a prof, he's a nice enough guy - he did put up with the buttplug and dildo incidents, after all.

jwslam
05-07-2008, 10:33 PM
wah? buttplug and dildo?

yea.. i didn't even come half way to passing the midterm.
i had moore.
but for my labs my TA gave me marks for doing nothing haha

badatusrnames
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM

he did put up with the buttplug and dildo incidents, after all.

Elaborate please.

diamondedge
05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda
To the people above, I thought ENEL 327 was one of the 'gimme' courses in 2nd year...

Maybe it's just that my friends and I had Fattouche for it or something.:dunno:

I wish. ENEL361 was the gimme. More or less with AMAT307.

Gabe

r0g3r
05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
lol i got 8/30 on the 311 midterm HAHAHAHA, still managed to pass some how....

edit: oh and i am not looking forward to the 317 mark.... the test was a give away but I messed up, what shoould have been easy marks.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Elaborate please.

Well, Clarke was well-known for being pretty obviously gay. So, about halfway through the semester someone stuck a big red buttplug on his desk. He laughed at it and left it there for the whole lecture. Then on the last Friday lecture, somebody superglued a huge cock'n'balls dildo to the blackboard. Clarke paid one of the girls in the class $5 to pull it off the board, she had to wrangle this monster cock for a good two minutes until it came off, it was uproarious.

Man, I hope 317 turns out OK, that class has me worried. I think I did fine on the final, but there's always that doubt that it was harder than you thought it was....

Pahnda
05-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
I wish. ENEL361 was the gimme. More or less with AMAT307.

Gabe

AMAT 307... I was thinking of 309 when you said that. I'm interested in math but even I could understand why everyone else thought AMAT309 was mostly a waste of time.

ENEL361 was a good course, one of the few really interesting courses in 2nd year. Did you have Magierowski? He's awesome, people kept giving him beers on the last day.

ZigZagZ
05-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I had Engg 233 final 8 in the morning and then 45 min apart(since exam started late) i had Engg 311... Ohh man that was the worst day of my life...
Anyone here taking 349 or 325 in spring?

jwslam
05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
lol i got 8/30 on the 311 midterm HAHAHAHA, still managed to pass some how....

edit: oh and i am not looking forward to the 317 mark.... the test was a give away but I messed up, what shoould have been easy marks.

i got 7/30 on mt.
i think the only reason i failed the course is cuz it's required that you need 47% on exam marks combined
APPEAL
anyone wanna guide me though this?

diamondedge
05-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda

AMAT 307... I was thinking of 309 when you said that. I'm interested in math but even I could understand why everyone else thought AMAT309 was mostly a waste of time.

ENEL361 was a good course, one of the few really interesting courses in 2nd year. Did you have Magierowski? He's awesome, people kept giving him beers on the last day.

Edit. That's my mistake, I meant 309. I think Smag is the only prof that teaches 361. And yeah, he deserves every beer he got :)

Gabe

r0g3r
05-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by ZigZagZ
I had Engg 233 final 8 in the morning and then 45 min apart(since exam started late) i had Engg 311... Ohh man that was the worst day of my life...
Anyone here taking 349 or 325 in spring?

yea one of my friend also had 233 in the morning then the 311 after, he told me the 233 was hard and he was pretty must exhausted going into the 311 exam. That would suck so much. =(

ZigZagZ
05-07-2008, 11:33 PM
it was horrible man.. couldn't even start that 311 exam ...
sat there for an hour and a half doing nothing.
Then eventually wrote some stuff down the last few mintues.

yea one of my friend also had 233 in the morning then the 311 after, he told me the 233 was hard and he was pretty must exhausted going into the 311 exam. That would suck so much. =(

diamondedge
05-07-2008, 11:33 PM

Well, Clarke was well-known for being pretty obviously gay. So, about halfway through the semester someone stuck a big red buttplug on his desk. He laughed at it and left it there for the whole lecture. Then on the last Friday lecture, somebody superglued a huge cock'n'balls dildo to the blackboard. Clarke paid one of the girls in the class $5 to pull it off the board, she had to wrangle this monster cock for a good two minutes until it came off, it was uproarious.

Man, I hope 317 turns out OK, that class has me worried. I think I did fine on the final, but there's always that doubt that it was harder than you thought it was....

The one stuck in ENA103 ? LOL.

Ah, the things that entertain us throughout the (sometimes) helllish engg life.

r0g3r
05-07-2008, 11:36 PM
it was horrible man.. couldn't even start that 311 exam ...
sat there for an hour and a half doing nothing.
Then eventually wrote some stuff down the last few mintues.

wahhh? did you manage to still pass the course? I applaude you if you still did.:thumbsup:

ZigZagZ
05-07-2008, 11:41 PM

wahhh? did you manage to still pass the course? I applaude you if you still did.:thumbsup:

Yeah man i actually ended up passing... i couldn't belive it.
I was so scared when i heard the marks were up this morning.
Did you take chem 357 as well?

r0g3r
05-07-2008, 11:43 PM

Yeah man i actually ended up passing... i couldn't belive it.
I was so scared when i heard the marks were up this morning.
Did you take chem 357 as well?

i didn't take that, im in civil, you in mechanical?

ZigZagZ
05-07-2008, 11:45 PM

i didn't take that, im in civil, you in mechanical?

nope im still kinda stuck between first/second year and now
im taking spring/summer to catch up to finishing 2nd year.
I eneded up applying for Chemical engineering and now
just waiting for the results to come in.

Disoblige
05-07-2008, 11:45 PM
jwslam had said you needed atleast a combined grade of 47% in the exam portion to pass. Was it 47% to begin with, or was it initially 50% and they're being leanient about it? I'm asking because I was wondering if it's the same case for ENGG 233.

r0g3r
05-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
jwslam had said you needed atleast a combined grade of 47% in the exam portion to pass. Was it 47% to begin with, or was it initially 50% and they're being leanient about it? I'm asking because I was wondering if it's the same case for ENGG 233.

i remember there was also a certain condition in 233 to pass, something similar to 311, however my friend did not satisfy that but he was pretty close, within a couple of percent, but they were lenient and let him pass.

Disoblige
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I asked because you need a combined grade of 50% with the midterm and final. But thanks, you did answer my question. I guess if you're a couple percent, they might be nice about it.

r0g3r
05-07-2008, 11:59 PM
yea it was originally 47% for 311, since i got only 8 on the midterm i had to have gotten 39 out of 45 marks on the final LoL,most likely not, i think it was my prof being lenient, who knows. I might get a copy of my test just to see how well I did.

ZigZagZ
05-08-2008, 12:03 AM
yea it was originally 47% for 311, since i got only 8 on the midterm i had to have gotten 39 out of 45 marks on the final LoL,most likely not, i think it was my prof being lenient, who knows. I might get a copy of my test just to see how well I did.

My prof said that if you did better on the final than on the midterm they would bump ur overall grade.

r0g3r
05-08-2008, 12:15 AM

My prof said that if you did better on the final than on the midterm they would bump ur overall grade.

really? it's pretty easy to get more than 30% on the final though...that sounds a bit sketchy.

I hope its the same deal with 317, i did pretty bad on that midterm also, hahaha, man i need to stop slacking....

badatusrnames
05-08-2008, 06:47 AM
They had to have changed the 47% policy for 311, with a 40% average on the MT, they would've been outright failing half the class...

317 has me worried as well, I did ok all year in that class and went into the final with about 75% in the class, but I know I fucked up huge on that final.

It's such a shitty policy to outright fail someone in the class as a whole if you fail the final. You could have a good record all semester, but if you have a shitty few weeks leading up the exam period and/or a bad day when you write the exam, then that whole good semester is down the toilet because you wrote one bad exam. Theoretically, you could fail the course with a 75% final average.

I can almost understand not awarding a grade necessary for promotion in the course (ie a C- or better), but an outright F is harsh.

That being said, I emailed my prof about it and while he wasn't saying much, I don't think they apply a policy like this without discretion and will look at your performance throughout the year and decide whether or not to fail you.

They also adjust what a fail is on the final (50% is standard) based upon the performance of the class as a whole, because if the midterm mark was any indication, half the class will be failing 317...

I hate to be a whiner, but does anyone else feel that their killer exam schedule definitely hurt their performance this year? Chem/Oil & Gas people wrote all five in the first week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

I know you should be prepared before hand and only need to review material during exams, blah blah blah, but seriously, how can people do well with a schedule like that??

jwslam
05-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

it says in the outline it's 47

jwslam
05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
They had to have changed the 47% policy for 311, with a 40% average on the MT, they would've been outright failing half the class...

317 has me worried as well, I did ok all year in that class and went into the final with about 75% in the class, but I know I fucked up huge on that final.

It's such a shitty policy to outright fail someone in the class as a whole if you fail the final. You could have a good record all semester, but if you have a shitty few weeks leading up the exam period and/or a bad day when you write the exam, then that whole good semester is down the toilet because you wrote one bad exam. Theoretically, you could fail the course with a 75% final average.

I can almost understand not awarding a grade necessary for promotion in the course (ie a C- or better), but an outright F is harsh.

That being said, I emailed my prof about it and while he wasn't saying much, I don't think they apply a policy like this without discretion and will look at your performance throughout the year and decide whether or not to fail you.

They also adjust what a fail is on the final (50% is standard) based upon the performance of the class as a whole, because if the midterm mark was any indication, half the class will be failing 317...

I hate to be a whiner, but does anyone else feel that their killer exam schedule definitely hurt their performance this year? Chem/Oil & Gas people wrote all five in the first week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

I know you should be prepared before hand and only need to review material during exams, blah blah blah, but seriously, how can people do well with a schedule like that??

mech wasn't that much better
tue wed thur fri wed
but yea. wtf. fail because you don't pass the final cuz you're having a bad day or the last few concepts in the class were killer, which they always are

Inzane
05-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I did my Engineering degree at U of A, and graduated back in '96. Back in my day it was very common to have four exams stacked inside two days. So bascially 4 in a row (morning, afternoon, morning, afternoon).

It was brutal.

r0g3r
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
so the deadline is 4:30 today? its kind of scary checking peoplesoft hahah

jwslam
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Inzane
I did my Engineering degree at U of A, and graduated back in '96. Back in my day it was very common to have four exams stacked inside two days. So bascially 4 in a row (morning, afternoon, morning, afternoon).

It was brutal.

i thought there were rules where if you have 3exams/more in 2 days you could defer?

Eleanor
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM

i thought there were rules where if you have 3exams/more in 2 days you could defer?

there is at u of c, i think it's 3 exams in 24 hours. don't know about u of a, well, cause, they suck :D

ZigZagZ
05-08-2008, 11:55 AM

So all marks should be up by 4:30 today??
Damn man... I think it's more stressful checking ur mark
than writting the exam rofl.
Peoplesoft is intimidating.

r0g3r
05-08-2008, 12:01 PM

So all marks should be up by 4:30 today??
Damn man... I think it's more stressful checking ur mark
than writting the exam rofl.
Peoplesoft is intimidating.

LoL yea i totally agree, especially when all the marks pop up all at once, your eyes just scramble to see if you got any F's HAHA.

badatusrnames
05-08-2008, 12:01 PM

UofA doesn't have that rule.

badatusrnames
05-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Man my profs are really leaving it to the end... oh the stress...

r0g3r
05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
hey eleanor all your marks are out already? im just wondering, if you get accepted on internship, and then you find out later you failed a course does that mean you cannot go on internship anymore?

Disoblige
05-08-2008, 01:51 PM

Man my profs are really leaving it to the end... oh the stress...

Is it 4:30 today? One prof told me they'd have to finish marking by the 2nd week of May. Another one told me they should be done marking on May 10th, and he doesn't know when the marks will be up. I'm confused.

Edit: Never mind. I just got 3 marks in a 20 minute span.

badatusrnames
05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Well... I scraped by, didn't fail anything, won't have to repeat anything, but definitely my worst semester out the ten I've had at UofC. Completely my own fault too... I used to be such a good student... I used to care :cry:

r0g3r
05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
lol im just waiting for my 341 now, i think i can pass that lol!!! i just scaped by 317 too...

r0g3r
05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Well... I scraped by, didn't fail anything, won't have to repeat anything, but definitely my worst semester out the ten I've had at UofC. Completely my own fault too... I used to be such a good student... I used to care :cry:

nice, you already finished a degree?which one?

badatusrnames
05-08-2008, 03:46 PM

nice, you already finished a degree?which one?

Haha not nice... five years, no degree.

I did two years of biology, did well in it, hated it. I didn't find, for example, the needless memorization of metabolic pathways including the structures of all the intermediates, etc to be very challenging.

People in biology like to strut around, declare themselves as pre-med (which means absolutely nothing) as though they are already doctors, talk about how they are going to be a pediatrician and try to convince everyone around them how much more intelligent they are than you. People who get into med school aren't necessarily "smart" they are just good at memorizing huge volumes of information by rote and are willing to dedicate 16 hrs a day to do so (there are exceptions of course). I didn't really see very many good problem solvers or critical, logical thinkers in biology, just people who can mindlessly memorize. You see smarter people in ENGG if you ask me, or at least better thinkers.

After getting out of that I did a year of some ENGG courses and GPA boosters while waiting to transfer into ENGG as I had missed the deadline the year before while making up my mind.

Then two years of ENGG gives me five years total.

There's my life story.

Sort of a waste of time, but I'm happy where I am now and wouldn't consider my three years in bio a complete waste.

Someone put it this way to me - would you let a 17 or 18 year old high school kid choose your career and life path for you? Of course not. But that's what happens every year as thousands of kids make decisions on what post-secondary program to enroll in.

When I made my choice, it was either ENGG or Bio and I had no idea what being an engineer was actually about and thought I knew what biology was about - and I was wrong.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Fuck yeah, passed 317! :clap: Not a great semester, but far from my worst.