PDA

View Full Version : Rental Agreements

TC2002
09-16-2007, 10:55 PM
I am trying to find sample rental agreements to use, so that I can confirm things with my soon to be tenant. I've never rented out before, so I am looking for specific wordings and such so that I know that the necessary legalities and responsibilities of landlord and tenant will be addressed.

Does anyone know of any links that have sample rental agreements specific to Alberta?

Thanks in advance!

westbeach70
09-16-2007, 11:05 PM
try boardwalk.com possibly... They might have a .pdf file you can download possibly???

TomcoPDR
09-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Calgary apartment association
www.calapt.org

They sell pre-typed format forms, even a starter landlord kit.

el-nino
09-17-2007, 12:29 AM
I have one. Pm me your email I can send it to you

TC2002
09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks el-nino, I have pm'd you.

urbannomad
09-17-2007, 06:12 PM
you can find stuff like at staples i believe...i can recall something along the lines of "self will" self...etc...

basically do it yourself things. worth a look imo.

ricosuave
09-17-2007, 06:18 PM
It basically doesnt have to be, and shouldnt be, full of legalese.

As long as it covers off the basics, and what items you as a landlord want in there, it will suffice.

You can put anything you want in an agreement, if the tenant signs to it, it is legal and valid.

In my old ones, I had the tenants initial off on each individual point as I explained it so that they understood what that point was about, and the final sign at the end was for the whole document.

easy peasy.

TC2002
09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
True. I just want to make sure I cover the "essential" categories, and it's nice to know where to start.

Great idea on having them sign off the individual parts! I think I'll do that as well. :thumbsup:

S4maniac
09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave
It basically doesnt have to be, and shouldnt be, full of legalese.

As long as it covers off the basics, and what items you as a landlord want in there, it will suffice.

You can put anything you want in an agreement, if the tenant signs to it, it is legal and valid.

In my old ones, I had the tenants initial off on each individual point as I explained it so that they understood what that point was about, and the final sign at the end was for the whole document.

easy peasy.

I would be careful about having an agreement that just covers the basics. It always seems to be the pain in the ass tenant that will find the hole in your homemade agreement.

Also, you can't put "anything you want" in an agreement and assume its legal. The Residential Tenancy Act supercedes ANY lease. The ones for sale online comply totally with the Act and I would recommend spending the few bucks to get one of those.

As a forinstance ... if you write in the lease that your month to month tenant must give 60 days notice to vacate, he really only has to give the required 30 days required in the Act. If you fight in court, he'll win.

Maddog55
09-25-2007, 08:12 AM
A few good links for landlords:

http://www.landlordandtenant.org/splash.aspx

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/tipsheets/RTATipsheet.pdf

http://www.landlordsinfo.com/

http://www.lawdepot.com/ <----- This is a good place to order online legal documents

urban.one
09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
This is a good reply.

The law is there to protect both the tenant and landlord.

The landlord could put anything they want in the lease and the tenant can sign it but if its against the Act, then its invalid.

Originally posted by S4maniac

I would be careful about having an agreement that just covers the basics. It always seems to be the pain in the ass tenant that will find the hole in your homemade agreement.

Also, you can't put &quot;anything you want&quot; in an agreement and assume its legal. The Residential Tenancy Act supercedes ANY lease. The ones for sale online comply totally with the Act and I would recommend spending the few bucks to get one of those.

As a forinstance ... if you write in the lease that your month to month tenant must give 60 days notice to vacate, he really only has to give the required 30 days required in the Act. If you fight in court, he'll win.

ricosuave
09-29-2007, 09:35 PM
hey guys, i didnt mean 'anything' i meant in the sense of being based on the act as well.

TC2002
09-30-2007, 08:04 PM
That's logical that all terms should abide by the law. :) Thanks for all of the feedback. I have written out the terms and waiting to get the renter to sign it!