PDA

View Full Version : you're going to jail because you're low riding

l/l/rX
09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20817735/?GT1=10357

TRENTON, N.J. - It's a fashion that started in prison, and now the saggy pants craze has come full circle — low-slung street strutting in some cities may soon mean run-ins with the law, including a stint in jail.

Proposals to ban saggy pants are starting to ride up in several places. At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine. A crackdown also is being pushed in Atlanta. And in Trenton, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but a city worker assessing where your life is headed.

"Are they employed? Do they have a high school diploma? It's a wonderful way to redirect at that point," said Trenton Councilwoman Annette Lartigue, who is drafting a law to outlaw saggy pants. "The message is clear: We don't want to see your backside."
Story continues below ↓advertisement

The bare-your-britches fashion is believed to have started in prisons, where inmates aren't given belts with their baggy uniform pants to prevent hangings and beatings. By the late ’80s, the trend had made it to gangster rap videos, then went on to skateboarders in the suburbs and high school hallways.

"For young people, it's a form of rebellion and identity," Adrian "Easy A.D." Harris, 43, a founding member of the Bronx's legendary rap group Cold Crush Brothers. "The young people think it's fashionable. They don't think it's negative."

But for those who want to stop them see it as an indecent, sloppy trend that is a bad influence on children.

"It has the potential to catch on with elementary school kids, and we want to stop it before it gets there," said C.T. Martin, an Atlanta councilman. "Teachers have raised questions about what a distraction it is."

In Atlanta, a law has been introduced to ban sagging and punishment could include small fines or community work — but no jail time, Martin said.

The penalty is stiffer in Delcambre, La., where in June the town council passed an ordinance that carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public. Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.

At Trenton hip-hop clothing store Razor Sharp Clothing Shop 4 Ballers, shopper Mark Wise, 30, said his jeans sag for practical reasons.

"The reason I don't wear tight pants is because it's easier to get money out of my pocket this way," Wise said. "It's just more comfortable."

hahaha honestly i think this is pretty retarded...its a style, its fashion for these guys, its their trend that they started. its like any other style.

fk, you dont like seeing my boxers briefs? suck it up bitch.

"why you in here?"
"i was low riding my jeans" :rolleyes: :cry:

Crymson
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
It's just more institutionalized racism. It's popping up all over the states now.

Antonito
09-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
It's just more institutionalized racism. It's popping up all over the states now.

I hate when people cry "racism" whenever a law comes up that discriminates against the stupid, which happens to include a portion of a minority. Believe me, a lot more wiggers and skaters are going to be affected then black people.

l/l/rX
09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
ya its not just affecting black people, you got skaters, punks/ punkettes, and probably so many other fashion statements.

but the article directly attacks black people.

whiskas
09-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
Razor Sharp Clothing Shop 4 Ballers

Best store name ever.

Xtrema
09-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Plumbers beware! :D

Antonito
09-17-2007, 12:16 PM
ya its not just affecting black people, you got skaters, punks/ punkettes, and probably so many other fashion statements.

but the article directly attacks black people.

What article are you reading?

GQBalla
09-17-2007, 12:52 PM
the article that was posted?

theken
09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
down there everyone belongs in jail anyways so beh, not much news

Crymson
09-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

I hate when people cry "racism" whenever a law comes up that discriminates against the stupid, which happens to include a portion of a minority. Believe me, a lot more wiggers and skaters are going to be affected then black people.

If the law were here, you'd be right. But the article is from the southern united states, it is indeed racist.

l/l/rX
09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

What article are you reading?

yaaaa i know it had some skater stuff in the article, but i just got the vibe it was more related to black people...the picture didnt help. :D

97'Scort
09-17-2007, 01:04 PM
New Jersey isn't in the South ;)

em2ab
09-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Ya it's all over the news here in Atlanta. They don't seem to care about the murders and gangbangs anymore.

l/l/rX
09-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
Ya it's all over the news here in Atlanta. They don't seem to care about the murders and gangbangs anymore.

cuz we all love being informed of large group orgies heh heh heh ;)

afrotl
09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I am waiting for the law against showing too much boobs and ass cheeks to be implemented as well. :drama:

DayGlow
09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Why would the want to get rid of this? It's a hilarious sight to see when some punk in his huge ass jeans hanging around his knees tries to run. You almost can't catch them because you are laughing so hard at them.

Kobe
09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
Why would the want to get rid of this? It's a hilarious sight to see when some punk in his huge ass jeans hanging around his knees tries to run. You almost can't catch them because you are laughing so hard at them.

This is so much funnier coming from a cop :rofl: :rofl:

iceburns288
09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
If the law were here, you'd be right. But the article is from the southern united states, it is indeed racist.
You would know cuz you live her- oh. Hmmm.

Ignorance :thumbsup:

Godfuader
09-17-2007, 07:56 PM

The southern state of New Jersey? got map?:dunno:

Trenton is in South Jersey. It is a bit of a rough place. To get to the regular Toyota dealership, I have to drive thru there and must admit that the locals are intimidating. When their pants are down to their knees...that just means that there are no guns on the person. :rofl:

eljefe
09-17-2007, 08:02 PM

The article is from Trenton, NJ. That is not the southern United States. The article was not, in my opinion racist in the sense of targeting an ethnic minority. It targets a fashion trend that many seem to find offensive. Truthfully I don't want to see your underwear or ass anymore than I want to see my neighbours. I don't care what ethnicity, colour, religion or geographic local you are from.

It is an opinion article, nothing more. It sure as hell is not racist. IMO

Crymson
09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
This article was from NJ, but the trend started in Atlanta. I think it is racist, because it targets a visible minority, even IF that visible minority is young people with baggy pants. Even that, i feel is a major breach of public trust.

To try and mandate a public dresscode is unconscionable, this is not Iran. I feel that reality of the situation is even more grave than that.

I would suspect that it is predominately white legislators who are attacking a predominately black culture trend, which i believe is institutional racism. People are able to get behind it, because there are SOME logical reasons behind it, but really it is their underlying intolerance that is driving their acceptance of such a law. The logical reasons give them a feeling of some kind of moral surefootedness for their racism.

When people start to care about what other people are doing, and it does not affect their own lives in any way, alarm bells start to ring in my head as to why this could be occurring and the only answer i can realize would be racism.

eljefe
09-17-2007, 08:24 PM
I think it is racist, because it targets a visible minority, even IF that visible minority is young people with baggy pants.

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree. You are refering to a visible minority that is "young people with baggy pants" and using the term "racist". Young people with baggy pants are not a race.

Super_Geo
09-17-2007, 08:26 PM
To try and mandate a public dresscode is unconscionable, this is not Iran.

No, you're right... this is the NeoCon's USA.

I support this because it will:
- Protect freedom.
- Stop terrorism.
- Fix the overcrowding issue in jails.
- Reduce abortions.
- Reduce homosexuality (not showing ass = less chance of gay temptations).
- Ensure Israel's freedom.

QED.

ricefarmer
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
it's about fucking time

Crymson
09-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by eljefe

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree. You are refering to a visible minority that is "young people with baggy pants" and using the term "racist". Young people with baggy pants are not a race.

What i'm saying is that it may appear to be targeting youth culture, but its really targeting black culture. What i said was that this is racism, and even if it WASN'T (and was simply targeting kids) that is still wrong.

eljefe
09-17-2007, 08:39 PM

You missing the point is not the same as you arguing successfully. What i'm saying is that it may appear to be targeting youth culture, but its really targeting black culture. What i said was that this is racism, and even if it WASN'T (and was simply targeting kids) that is still wrong.

Nah, I was not missing the point. There is nothing in that article targeting black youth. Infact you are the one who pointed out that the racism was a visible minority that was- and I quote you "Young people with baggy pants"

Infact to take that a step further, you are the one being racist by your own standard. You, by inference are saying that "young people with baggy pants must be black youth"

Don't turn it into something it isn't. The article is about a fashion trend many people find offensive.

Crymson
09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Why don't i post the REST of that article.

Shop owner Mack Murray said Trenton's proposed ordinance unfairly targets blacks.

"Are they going to go after construction workers and plumbers, because their pants sag, too?" Murray asked. "They're stereotyping us."

The American Civil Liberties Union agrees.

"In Atlanta, we see this as racial profiling," said Benetta Standly, statewide organizer for the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia. "It's going to target African-American male youths. There's a fear with people associating the way you dress with crimes being committed.".

eljefe
09-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Uh huh, you posted the link and I read the entire article before posting. Just because a black dude quoted in the article says it is "them stereotyping us" must mean it is so eh?
:dunno:

You have your opinion, I have mine. It won't change the world. I can respect your opinion even if I think it is misguided and wrong.

stevo 27
09-17-2007, 08:55 PM

ever tackle someone and get nothin but an arm full of jean's hahaha?:rofl:

Crymson
09-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Uh huh, you posted the link and I read the entire article before posting. Just because a black dude quoted in the article says it is "them stereotyping us" must mean it is so eh?
:dunno:

You have your opinion, I have mine. It won't change the world. I can respect your opinion even if I think it is misguided and wrong.

Fair enough, for the record, i think your opinion is naive and sheltered.

TomcoPDR
09-17-2007, 09:12 PM
:drama: Aside from the racial implications, I think the question would be "Who's gonna make you.... Jump, Jump?????"

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/200px-Kris_kross.jpg

Kris Kross gonna make you Jump Jump.

Silly kids, let the rabit have his trix. Government and suburban moms just have too much time on their hands, players and thugs will always find something to be cool and phat to roam; but time has proven utlimately it's the doctor, lawyer, hard workin' scholars who'll be blingin' in chrome.

Kris Kross Koncerts represent.

01RedDX
09-18-2007, 12:19 AM

HondaRice
09-18-2007, 12:47 AM
thats a good thing, i mean your wearing pants right down to ur uper knees, its disgusting, its not racism.

Antonito
09-18-2007, 08:04 AM
It can't be racism if it only targets a portion of one ethnicity.......and a portion of other ethnicities.....

And for the love of god, stop listening to the ACLU. They are idiots who do more harm than good

3g4u
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
They should be more focused on fucking emo kids wearing tight girls jeans. Especially the fat ones with their discusting fucking bacon folds hanging all over the sides. Gives me bloody nightmares.

citylimits
09-18-2007, 02:03 PM

LOL That's awesome!

eljefe
09-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by citylimits

LOL That's awesome!

:werd:

06civic
09-18-2007, 04:26 PM
In a sense it does target african american ppl jsut because that is something that is popular in their culture, even tho they used jsut the word youth. I think its implying them.
Its like saying to discourage youth ppl that eat instant noodles withspam we are gonna make it illegal, what "ppl" do youthink of right away?

eljefe
09-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by 06civic
In a sense it does target african american ppl jsut because that is something that is popular in their culture, even tho they used jsut the word youth. I think its implying them.
Its like saying to discourage youth ppl that eat instant noodles withspam we are gonna make it illegal, what "ppl" do youthink of right away?

When people eat noodles with spam, does there underwear and ass generally hang out in public?

l/l/rX
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM

When people eat noodles with spam, does there underwear and ass generally hang out in public?

your comment is totally irrelevant to his post. :rolleyes: such ignorance to what hes trying to say.

eljefe
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM

your comment is totally irrelevant to his post. :rolleyes:

No, the poster I was quoting made an anaolgy that was not relevant, that was the point. :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I skipped most of the comments, but as a 19 year old, I want them to implement this law in calgary. The last thing I want is to see some fucking retards ass cheeks while walking around downtown. The only upside is I laugh that much harder when they wipe out from boarding. I think the worst fucking trend is when they couldn't pull them up anyways because they're wearing girls pants. Yea... TNA girls pants...

iceburns288
09-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 06civic
I think of myself, cuz I am white, and I love noodles and fried egg:drool: . Just cause it mostly affects Asians does not mean it's targeted at them as a race.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense, I'm kinda out of it.:nut:

D911
09-19-2007, 01:36 AM
as much as i hate people who wear their jeans around their ankles...seems ridiculous to try and fine people for dressing differently?

and if you're gonna implement anything...+1 to ridding fat emo kids in girl pants...that shit is disgusting.

ex1z7
09-19-2007, 03:26 AM
if they didn't say it was because it's a bad influence to children..

Don't want our 8 year old 3rd graders looking too baller now..

The thing is, if they said it was because it was indecent exposure, which I agree with, then that's one thing - if it's because it's a trend that started in prison and it's fighting the whole establishment thing.. fuck that.. that in itself is the most retarded reason to ban/fine/jail someone..

Jail the people wearing spiked collars.. their sisters jeans.. vampire dentures.. Whatever people are using to "fight the man" nowadays..

Jailing someone for trying to look hardcore and gangster with lowriding jeans hanging off your balls is retarded.

Funny.

But retarded.

doublepostwhore
09-20-2007, 07:44 PM
They should ban 14 y/o's from looking like 20 y/o's so I dont go to jail for a real reason.

Who cares if joe blow wants to low ride his jeans? I dont knock you for having anime hair which when you stop violently in the hallway often leads to poking me in the chest/throat. well more so on the peepz who spike there hair in all directions.

All Im saying is banning someones personal effects is unconstitutional and retarded. Ban me from driving fast, spiting and sitting with my feet up.
But I'll be damned if I had to throw away a pair of red monkeys (4 bills) cause somebody somewhere was upset that they could see my superman underware. Well I would flip.

Keep in mind I dont actually dress like a "balla" I dress like I have money, but not alot of it haha. I wear a belt. and a shirt/jacket long enough to cover incedentals.

well atleast we are getting what we deserve. Getting fucked for agreeing to a democracy without doing anything to maintain it. Being apathetic is truly the death of our freedom haha.

A quote from Arrested development: "I dont agree with what your doing, but I will defend it with MY LIFE your right to do it." haha Oh buster.

If they want to ban something disgusting, ban socks and sandals you indecent fuckers.