View Full Version : Mini Cooper

szw
07-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Opinions on the mini?

Not the S

ecstasy_civic
07-03-2003, 10:25 PM
i drove the S, its really nice but way over priced,

i drove the non-S still overpriced and not near as much fun to drive.

szw
07-03-2003, 10:27 PM
going tomorrow to drive one.

How much is a non-S? I can't find a canadian website.

ecstasy_civic
07-03-2003, 10:30 PM
i believe its around 26,000

FiveFreshFish
07-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by szw
going tomorrow to drive one.

How much is a non-S? I can't find a canadian website.

Right here, bottom of the table...
http://www.canadianautoreview.com/bmw.htm

T5Bird
07-04-2003, 07:03 AM
http://www.mini.ca/

I personally have driven and love both cars, however the S is worth the extra cash.:thumbsup: But yes I agree they are a little overpriced, but I think they're worth it.:dunno:

hjr
07-04-2003, 09:06 PM
really cool cars me thinks, but overpriced. they kinda lost something that was a mainstay from the original mini though - cheap price.

Abom
07-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Yeah, and a brand new Honda Civic also cost $25k+. New cars aren't cheap.

dj_honda
07-04-2003, 09:42 PM
from what i hear, the s is a great car, especially handling wise, but like everyone mentioned, way overpriced......
i think its just a "trendy" car right now, so they can make more off of it buy asking so much.
i honestly would never buy one, s or not.

Abom
07-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Ok, I'd like to know from everyone who says it's too expensive, WHY is it too expensive ?

Honda Civic SiR - A/C, fog lights, standard options that most people would choose - $29,672.24

Mini S (Supercharged) - A/C, heated front seats, panoramic sunroof, automatic climate control, on-board computer, cruise control - $33,210.00

So a difference of roughly $3000. And with the Mini, you get side and head airbags as well, and safety is much better since BMW designed the safety system.

So how is it "too expensive"?? :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
07-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Abom
Mini S (Supercharged) - A/C, heated front seats, panoramic sunroof, automatic climate control, on-board computer, cruise control - $33,210.00

Don't forget the HID xenon headlights that are a standard feature of both the Cooper and Cooper S.

Xenons are something I will always have on any new car I buy from now on.

Abom
07-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Don't forget the HID xenon headlights that are a standard feature of both the Cooper and Cooper S.

Xenons are something I will always have on any new car I buy from now on.

:werd: So why are people saying that it's overpriced? In my opinion, the SiR is overpriced. Look how much more stuff you get for $3000 :thumbsup:

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 12:22 AM
have you ever driven a mini?? there isnt alot of room for anything besides head room.

seriously, for what you get, its not worth it.

and why have you been replying to every single post in every single thread.

IVE FOUND A NEW POST WHORE--------->ABOM:)

Abom
07-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
have you ever driven a mini?? there isnt alot of room for anything besides head room.

seriously, for what you get, its not worth it.

and why have you been replying to every single post in every single thread.

IVE FOUND A NEW POST WHORE--------->ABOM:)

Hahaha, I only reply to posts where I have something to say, and at the moment, that's like every post :rofl:

I've sat in one, yeah, they're not the MOST roomy cars, but mind you, neither in the Civic SiR. I dunno, for all the features, it's not such a bad price as people think. the SiR is only $3000 less. I'm sure a Camry will cost a lot more than the Mini as well. It's basically you either really love the Mini, or you don't. You don't just buy a Mini cause "the price is good" ;)

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 12:37 AM
no you buy a mini cause its a blast to drive and its the best bang for your buck. to bad its not.

so what a civic is only 3000 less?? ive driven the SiR too, i prefered it over the mini for roominess. the mini has great power and great handling. but it just doesnt justify the other few thousand.

me and memystealthandi test drove one for quite a while, and he considered buying one, but..... for $36,500 it doesnt seem that its worth it.
thats my reasoning behind the over priced comment.

CLiVE
07-05-2003, 01:14 AM
I'm still considering one...but I can't justify paying $36,000 for it..
Nice, fun car though.

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 01:18 AM
for that price you could start modding a 99' S4 lol

CLiVE
07-05-2003, 01:23 AM
for that price you could start modding a 99' S4 lol

exactly...that's a hell of alot more car for the money.

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

exactly...that's a hell of alot more car for the money.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres so much more out there for the money, and thats what ive been trying to say. lol

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:18 AM
Well you can't compare used and new cars here, that's not fair. And $36 000 would be a fully equipped Mini, with the LCD navigation and all ;)

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 02:28 AM
Well you can't compare used and new cars here, that's not fair. And $36 000 would be a fully equipped Mini, with the LCD navigation and all ;)

actually bud, you dont get the navi for $36gino's:thumbsup:

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:48 AM
actually bud, you dont get the navi for $36gino's:thumbsup:

Isn't it like a $2800 add-on ? At least I thought it was when I priced out that Mini S :confused:

FiveFreshFish
07-05-2003, 02:54 AM
The Nav system is a $3100 option, according to
http://www.mini.ca/english/price_list.asp

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 02:55 AM
there ya go, $3100 :thumbsup:

Abom
07-05-2003, 03:00 AM
there ya go, $3100 :thumbsup:

$33 210 for Mini S with the heated seats, cruise, panoramic sunroof, etc that I chose, plus $3100 for the nav system, = $36 310. Add another $1000 for leather interior (basically the only bigger option I didn't choose), and it's $37 210 for a fully loaded Mini. I dunno, still a good deal for all the stuff you get. Yeah, it's small and compact, but like I said, ya either love it or ya don't :thumbsup:

szw
07-05-2003, 03:29 AM
didn't get to drive it today, made an appt for later on.

I am suprised by the room though. Its plenty enough room for small asian people!

And I don't think its that overpriced. A lot of hte options like navigation I think is pointless. The only real option I like is the sunroof, and I usually don't like sunroofs but on this car it goes well.

I read on the US website that the xenon lights were optional, perhaps they are standard in Canada, haven't gone through the pamphlets.

Abom
07-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by szw
didn't get to drive it today, made an appt for later on.

I am suprised by the room though. Its plenty enough room for small asian people!

And I don't think its that overpriced. A lot of hte options like navigation I think is pointless. The only real option I like is the sunroof, and I usually don't like sunroofs but on this car it goes well.

I read on the US website that the xenon lights were optional, perhaps they are standard in Canada, haven't gone through the pamphlets.

:werd: on navigation being pretty much useless / pointless

James
07-05-2003, 03:54 AM
I had heard that they were kinda overpriced, but a good comparison there abom!

$33 210 for Mini S with the heated seats, cruise, panoramic sunroof, etc that I chose, plus $3100 for the nav system, = $36 310. Add another $1000 for leather interior (basically the only bigger option I didn't choose), and it's $37 210 for a fully loaded Mini. I dunno, still a good deal for all the stuff you get. Yeah, it's small and compact, but like I said, ya either love it or ya don't :thumbsup:

Is there still Tax, Frieght etc. on TOP of that $37,200? :dunno:......its the little extra costs that seem to drive up the prices at the last minute.

FiveFreshFish
07-05-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by szw

The brochure I have shows the xenon headlights as standard and it's also confirmed on the website. http://www.mini.ca/english/config_compare.asp

szw
07-05-2003, 04:03 AM
Nice, i'm pretty sure it was optional on the US website. Canada rocks!

FiveFreshFish
07-05-2003, 04:04 AM
For once the US gets the de-contented models.

BigMass
07-05-2003, 08:37 AM
That car looks like something that should sell for $5000 new so everyone could own a car. For 30-40 grand i'll stick to the 350Z, not that..... that thing.

Abom
07-05-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
That car looks like something that should sell for $5000 new so everyone could own a car. For 30-40 grand i'll stick to the 350Z, not that..... that thing.

For $5000, you wouldn't get front / side / head airbags, or self-adjusting Xenon HID headlights with powerwash, or heated front seats. The Mini is not so much a performance machine, but a combination of performance and luxury, hence it's cost. If you're a real performance nut, and only care about the speed of a car, then yeah, a 350Z or something else is for you.

That.Guy.S30
07-05-2003, 11:29 AM
i test drove the mini.. its as rough on my ass as the jeep.. ahahah otherwise.. i like that car.. wouldve got it but i got a subie instead

T5_X
07-05-2003, 11:45 AM
WTF? 37 grand for a compact? I could buy a damn brand new base model S60 for that!

There are way better choices than the damn mini. SVT focus, VW GTi, SRT-4. Shit, if your getting to over 35 grand you open up your choices to way more than just pocket rockets.

Can anyone honestly tell me they'd rather have a cooper s than a WRX??

That.Guy.S30
07-05-2003, 11:59 AM
haha yea man i second that shit. i would give up the mini anyday over my subie

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by James
I had heard that they were kinda overpriced, but a good comparison there abom!

Is there still Tax, Frieght etc. on TOP of that $37,200? :dunno:......its the little extra costs that seem to drive up the prices at the last minute.

ya theres tax on top of that, and ya i would drop the mini for a wrx.

szw
07-05-2003, 09:20 PM
I dunno where the 37grand comes in, its 30grand +options for the S.

Even with all the options I don't think it hits 37 grand? maybe fully loaded with lots of junk!

Abom
07-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by szw
I dunno where the 37grand comes in, its 30grand +options for the S.

Even with all the options I don't think it hits 37 grand? maybe fully loaded with lots of junk!

Yeah, $3100 for the navigation system.

And as for everyone else, SVT Focus? Sorry, don't like Ford, and I'd rather have the Mini than a Focus personally. And I don't like Subies, I'd rather have a European car.

Sure you have plenty of options at $30k+, but all I'm saying is the Mini isn't overpriced by any huge margin. It's still a unique car that's pretty fast (S trim) :thumbsup:

BTW, for $30k+, I'd probably go for a Golf GTi 337 ;)

C4S
07-06-2003, 01:25 AM
Drive those cars .. and you will kno what is the QULITY different .. being the car of the year, and enginee of the year .. and say $ 35,000 for a mini ? any other car can give you the same qulity ? try to open and close the door of a mini and a civic .. or a WRX .. for people looking for cheap horsepower .. can buy a mustang ! also a lots less then a Wrx .... etc ....

And let's face it .. wrx is a good car for performance .. but .. we all know that is a ulgy car, and civic ? well . forget it ... 350 Z ? I like it too ... it is all personal taste ..... but again .. there is no other car can give you more fun then a mini ...
and that is why it is the second best car in the world now ! ( even rated higher then the Ferrari Enzo ! )

do do do ..
P.S. Porsche 911 Turbo is rated the best car in the world .. ( which I guess no one will agrue ? right ? )

SI-vic
07-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by C4S

And let's face it .. wrx is a good car for performance .. but .. we all know that is a ulgy car

I didnt know the WRX was ugly, I've always thought they were nice looking and I'm sure a lot of other beyond members agree.
So you'll have to bring up something more then that to compare it to the Mini. And like you said, its a good performance car.
Someone said it before in an earlier post and I'll say it again,
The Mini is just a FAD.

E36M3
07-07-2003, 04:09 PM
I'd much rather have a Cooper Mini S than a WRX. The Mini feels like it was hand crafted, and has godly handling. The WRX feels like it was thrown together as an afterthought, and has an extremely cheap feeling interior. I really don't like the looks of the WRX either, makes me feel like I am driving a spaceship out of teh 1970s.

Somehow I doubt it is a fair comparison.. the Cooper S is 22k USD (fully equipped) vs. $30,995 for the WRX.. so I would much rather have $9k + a Cooper S.

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
WTF? 37 grand for a compact? I could buy a damn brand new base model S60 for that!

There are way better choices than the damn mini. SVT focus, VW GTi, SRT-4. Shit, if your getting to over 35 grand you open up your choices to way more than just pocket rockets.

Can anyone honestly tell me they'd rather have a cooper s than a WRX??

E36M3
07-07-2003, 04:14 PM
I think they are fantastic cars. Much like a 3/4 scale 325, with a gem of an engine, a great gearbox, and fantastic suspension. If the size is right for you, then I would highly recommend it, and I think it is a tremendous value.

The best part about this car is that you don't need to go insanely fast to have fun. Since it is lightweight and very tossable, it feels like it is much more powerful than it is, which I think is great in a car.

Originally posted by szw
Opinions on the mini?

Not the S

C4S
07-08-2003, 11:18 AM
I totally agree on E36M3,I would love to hv a mini S, waiting for some slightly used one ! they are not cheap, however, take one to drive, a good long drive, and take a WRX or civic ... etc for a long drive,they r different qulity, different league.(again, I am not against asian cars, I used to hv civic Si, GSR, type S .. etc .... they are great car for the bulk !)

For the mini (non S) they r super fun handling car ! under $ 30,000, you can get one loaded, and with Xenon, well.. it is not fast.. however cooper S is not a fast car too, unless you add on the "works" performance kits, which is another $ 8,000 ! pricy pricy ! but I will say for $ 30,000 range,there is no car in the market for more fun then a Mini Cooper, (or buy a E 36 M3, right ? ) Pierod. Not belive ? buy one ! then you will agree. ^_^

Mini Girl
07-08-2003, 11:23 AM
GET A CLASSIC!!

The BINI (BMW Mini) isn't a mini..its a BMW

you want a mini..get a classic
You couldn't pay me to own a BINI. All I see is stuck up yuppies driving them around.

I think they are a waste of money. Nothing compares to my classic mini....its got class, style, personality AND attitude.
The BINI is just like the new beetle...a rip off.

GO CLASSIC!!
www.superminis.ca

(anti bini)

method
07-08-2003, 01:19 PM
too bad the old minis are so expensive too...