PDA

View Full Version : Facing subs?

G-ZUS
09-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Which the best way to face your subs? Up? to the front? to the back? its in a sedan. I was talking to a friend he said it is beneficial to add cotton to the inside of the box.

btw its 2 12 inch JL's in a sealed box

natejj
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Do whatever sounds best.... mine sound best facing towards the front of the car.

RZRSHARP_SVX
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
it honestly doesnt matter which way they face. its all vibration anyways.

as for cotton that could work. I put a pillow in my box

97'Scort
09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Adding cotton or fibreglass insulation or whatever makes the box sound 'bigger' than it is. So if you want your bass to be a bit deeper, add some stuff if you want. It should always have a little bit in there just to absorb the residual waves

The best way to face them is however sounds good to you. Most people fire them towards the rear. Then slide the box back and forth a few inches and listen (trunk closed, of course). Eventually you'll hit a "sweet spot" where the sound will be louder. This is because you're bouncing the sound off the trunk and creating constructive interference near your listening position. Then anchor the box where this spot is.

Firing backwards also lets you show off your nice system whenever somebody wants to see it ;)

Ry_an_6
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
lol sumthing that was not mentioned here is upwards. i have a hatch (240sx)

upwards sounds great.:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
09-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Instead of fucking around with in and out, just pick the one you like, then adjust the phase to achieve the same effect.