PDA

View Full Version : Racing Chip question

BlaCkPlaGUE
07-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Why do manufacturers limit your top speed and hp on newer cars? Is this so that the engine lasts longer or something?

I personally hate the idea of knowing that my cars potential is limited by a stupid little IC. I mean exhaust and air limitations are a given with cars today, but having it limited by a micro chip is so fucken dumb. Must be a good reason? or is there?

Khyron
07-03-2003, 11:36 PM
To keep casual fools from overdriving their factory tires and being a general menace on the road. Sure you can bypass the governor but that takes effort that most people don't bother doing. 180 is pretty quick.

Khyron

googe
07-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
To keep casual fools from overdriving their factory tires and being a general menace on the road. Sure you can bypass the governor but that takes effort that most people don't bother doing. 180 is pretty quick.

Khyron

I would disagree with that. The limits are far beyond any speed limit, and give ample room for being a menace. BMW for example, electronically limits their vehicles to 250km/h. If this was to prevent people from abusing their car, wouldn't it be alot lower? There has to be a reason besides that. Although, I could be wrong.

5.9 R/T
07-04-2003, 12:18 AM
I think the number one reason is tire ratings. Secondly would be the speed that the car becomes unstable and thirdly the speed at which loads on mechanical parts would be too great.

)v(ortal
07-04-2003, 12:19 AM
its prolly cuz the companys dont wannt u to break ur engine so they dont have to replace this.... that would be the most reasonable answer?? think of it... a person buys a BMW and blows the engine up the first day cuz he redlined it for 10 mins or sumthin stupid, BMW dosent want to pay for UR mistakes... i could be wrong as well

-danny

rage2
07-04-2003, 12:25 AM
My car's pretty damn stable at 250. When it hits the limiter, it's like slamming on the brakes, making it more unstable.

Abom
07-04-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I think the number one reason is tire ratings. Secondly would be the speed that the car becomes unstable and thirdly the speed at which loads on mechanical parts would be too great.

I agree with you on the tires and the unstableness. With North American roads being in the condition they're in, you can't drive any faster than 180 km/h anyways. In Europe, you can drive 300 km/h safely, because their roads are built and maintained better than ours.

Fluidic
07-04-2003, 12:45 AM
My car gets going 227KM/H on the dot. Then the computer reduces boost and essentially... that’s it… that's my limiter.

I'm currently in the process of having a custom chip designed for my car and my modifications. Yes the speed limiter will be removed and then it will only go as fast and the motor allows it too.

Peter

rage2
07-04-2003, 09:08 AM
In Europe, all MB/AMG cars are limited to 250km/h, just like here. You can, however, visit the AMG factory and pay $1000 to get the car delimited.

5.9 R/T
07-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by rage2
My car's pretty damn stable at 250. When it hits the limiter, it's like slamming on the brakes, making it more unstable.

What speed are/were your stock tires rated for?

Lump
07-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Pardon my ignorance, but please tell me why you need to go that fast (or faster) on public roads? Doesn't make much sense to me, unless you are on a racetrack - and I doubt the straightaways are long enough for you to get even close to 250... :dunno:

SwitchBlade
07-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Ive heard it might have to do something with pollution control ive also heard its so your engine doesnt overheat. Might as well take it out tho or reprogram it so it will work better in conjunction with your mods.