PDA

View Full Version : Accounting Job Needed ASAP

SuPhistiKatEd
09-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey Guys,

Just trying whatever I can at this point, but I find it so frustrating to find a job. I've been sending out Resumes like nothing....and have heard nothing back from companies that I have applied at. I do have previous experience....about 1 years worth...1 year away from getting my Degree.....starting Co-op term in Jan 08. Should I just be patient? Should I start calling companies and following up? I've debated whether or not I should go to some placement agencies...such as Randstad or Robert Half....would that be a good start? Any help would be much appreciated.

IntegraG2
09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
try going to the some info sessions at the U of C i know there will big large CA firms recruiting this season. The firms will be having info sessions until sept 26th. Also Mount Royal is also have a large career fair with only accounting firms. So showing up to these events might help you get a job.

black_2.5RS
09-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Yah. I know EY is having their recruiting session very soon at UofC (next week I believe) - which means all of the other firms should be in at around the same time. Go to them, be social, ask smart questions and talk to as many people as you can. You do get interviews from them as I have represented the firm in recruiting sessions in the past.

blinkme_210
09-18-2007, 12:22 AM
First off... how is your GPA? You can have all the co-op experience in the world, but at the end of the day, the Big Four will favour academic performance above all. Of course all 4 will always say they are looking for well-rounded people, when they are really looking for top performers who know their stuff, so that they hopefully won't mess up a big client's portfolio if anything was to go wrong.

Go to the meet & greets, and talk to all the big wigs you can. Most importantly, make an impression on them, because every single one of them has/will have a say in recruitment. The recruitment manager has the most pull, but they will ask others who were there if they remember 'X', 'Y', 'Z'. Yes, that even includes the partners.

Palmiros
09-18-2007, 12:35 AM
The company I work for is currently looking for an assistant manager/accounting person. Send me your resume, and i'll pass it on.

[email protected]

whodiman
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
With the exception of accounting firms, most places like to hire when they need somebody. I wouldn't worry too much since you still have about a year left.

We usually hire somebody to start within 3 weeks. If they can't start for 2months we move on to the next applicant. Your exception would be if it was an agreement reached during their coop term.

celly
09-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Robert Half isn't a bad thing at all. I'm a CA and did the "Accountemps" thing after I left the country for a few years. (they're a division of Robert Half). At my first placement I got offered a permanent position and it got me back on my feet in the Calgary marketplace.

While I'm not currently looking, I did hire for an accounting position back in January of this year and it was tricky to find good help. I completely lucked out by getting a GREAT accountant with a solid background and she's completely worked out. A got a lot of crappy resumes in the process though.

celly
09-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
First off... how is your GPA? You can have all the co-op experience in the world, but at the end of the day, the Big Four will favour academic performance above all.

So true. My GPA sucked and I kind of snuck in the back door with what was then a "Big 6" firm. Then I passed all exams on first attempt and qualified for a reduction in articling period so I was a CA in 2 years. Was a grind. I was so lucky. Most firms wouldn't touch me with my 3.3 GPA. The guy who hired me asked me point blank if I could pass the exams. I told him a story of why my GPA was lower than most (worked part time through school, partied too much etc).

He took a chance and I was one of 4 or 5 people who nailed all their exams the first try. We hired close to 30 that year. And fewer got through in 2 years. (standard was three years).

My point being, if you don't have a good GPA, be prepared to work that much harder to get a job. I got involved in recruiting a bit at our firm and I learned first hand that marks are everything. It was always the way they evaluate their short list of candidates to interview and ultimately leads to offers even if the person is a complete dweeb. It's so costly for a firm to put people through the CA process and they want people who are going to pass, first and foremost.