PDA

View Full Version : Car broken into

anarchy
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
So my gf and I parked her Rav4 at Market Mall last night around 7, went in and came back out at 8:30 and found our driver's side window smashed. We have an alarm so I don't know how any one could not see or hear it go off, or even the window smash.

They managed to grab a lot of stuff - i had my three week old laptop, new laptop bag, new logitech cordless mouse, gf's ipod, fm transmitter, sunglasses, electric toothbrush, clothes etc.

So if anyone hears about any of this stuff on the black market, please let me know. This is my laptop:
Laptop (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10090033&catid=)

These guys were pretty ballsy, cuz another guy's car was broken into as well but it was on the other side of the mall.

On a related note, does anyone know how insurance works?
It is insured under gf's dad and our deductible is $500 but will his premiums go up?

adidas
09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear that but i must say its ur mistake. If you leave ur stuff in the car and its visable ur just asking for trouble.

Hopefully you get all ur stuff back.

topmade
09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
SONOFABITCH!! Report it if you haven't already, we recently got a item back from the police that was stolen. Not sure about insurance, but I don't believe they go up for this type of claim.

anarchy
09-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Well we had it all covered in the back seat (no trunk in RAV4), but after work I threw my work bag in the back seat uncovered. It had nothing valuable in it but it was stupid not to cover it.

They must have seen my work bag and went for it, there was nothing in it but they hit the jackpot whent hey found all my new shit.

We reported it as there is a volunteer police station at Market Mall. I don't think your premiums go up either, just pay the deductible but i just wanted to be sure. It's my gf's dad's insurance so I would hate for it to go up on him.

What kind of item was it topmade? I hope the guy tries to sell it at the pawnshop or something. I don't have a serial number though. Unless its on my receipt? :dunno:

03ozwhip
09-18-2007, 10:19 AM
it wont go up for a theft claim. but 500 deductable is definitely worth getting all of that back, its just too bad you have to pay 500 for stuff you already had. good luck.

s_havinga
09-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Just an idea but if you bought that stuff with a credit card you could have theft replacment protection through your credit card. My friends car was broken into and they stole her motorcycle helmet and mastercard replaced it for her. Just something to look into

nadroj23
09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Anything not attached to your car (ie clothes and laptop) will be covered under your home insurance. Anything attached to your car like the ipod and fm transmitter will be covered under car insurance

anarchy
09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Awesome, good to know.

So should I claim all my stuff through house insurance, and not have her dad claim anything other htan to fix the window?

Or should we jsut claim everything through his car insurance since he has to replace the window anyways?

teggypimp95
09-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Your premiums will not go up. Visa might cover some stuff if its under 6 months of perchancing them. But your house or auto insurance will cover it after your 500 deductable. You will also need to find the recepits for everything stolen.

anarchy
09-18-2007, 10:33 AM
I have receipts for my laptop, mouse, laptop bag etc. that becuase we just purchased them within the last 3 weeks.

But my electric toothbrush (which is about $150-200), ipod, fm transmitter, we don't have any reciepts for that.

teggypimp95
09-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Well you will need to talk to them, they might be more easy on the smaller stuff like that.

03ozwhip
09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
dont claim the window, thats way less than 500 for a window, if youre going that route just get house insurance to pay for the stuff and pay for your window seperately.

anarchy
09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
dont claim the window, thats way less than 500 for a window, if youre going that route just get house insurance to pay for the stuff and pay for your window seperately.
Is there a deductile through house insurance too?

Because if there is, then wouldn't it make sense to do it all through your car insurance since you are paying the deductible anyways and at least that way your car window is paid for?

03ozwhip
09-18-2007, 10:58 AM
ya theres almost always a deductable. thing is you cant claim your loose goods (home type stuff) under auto, only house. so ya its probably like 500 for that. thats why im saying dont go through insurance for the window because that would be another 500, instead of the 100 the window will cost.

anarchy
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
So we went to claim this under my gf's dad's house insurance.

His deductable is $1000 and they need receipts, which we only have for the recent stuff and doesnt add up to be much more than $1000.

It's fuckin retarded but it's not even worth it to make a claim, insurance is a waste of money.

diggity
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Am I the only one who finds it funny they actually took your toothbrush?

But sorry to hear you got your shit jacked. Hope it all turns out good in the end. Also, always get the 500 DD, your premiums may be a little higher but in times like these it sure helps. (I know it wasn't your insurance.)