PDA

View Full Version : New SL - The most beautiful car ever made?

E36M3
07-28-2002, 05:27 PM
Everytime I see the new Mercedes SL, I can't help to think that Mercedes has finally created the perfect car.

Although four-door vehicles certainly have their charm, the majority of people rarely even have one passenger, let alone multiple passengers. Also, if you are in the market for an SL, you probably have an SUV and a Sedan already anyway, so it probably wouldn' be a big deal.

The retractable hardtop actually makes this car look *better* with the top up than the CL (amazing accomplishment) and the new body lines are absolutely incredible. Instead of taking an identical design direction to Mercedes current lineup (especially the CL) it is very apparent that the designers drew upon the SL heritage and incorporated it into the soul of the new machine.

The ironic part, of course is that the SL has evolved so far away from its roots. In its defense, it is now a very competent, unbelievable beautiful luxury car. My only complaint, and a very minor one at that, is the lack of a manual transmission. I think that they should mate an F1 style gearshift to the AMG SL55 in the same way that BMW/FerrariAston Martin/Maserati (in order of apperance in their production cars) has had the balls to do. Although it may take some significant tuning to get the 'automatic shifting' mode as smooth as one would expect on a Mercedes, I think that the S55 would be the supercar to beat if it incorporated this minor improvement.

What I'm waiting to drive is the new SL600 with the biturbo V12. I think that it will probably be the smoothest car on the planet.

Anyone agree with me? If not, please let me know what you think is the most beautiful car out there.

Ekliptix
07-28-2002, 05:45 PM
pics?

legendboy
07-28-2002, 05:52 PM
The new SL is a very sexy car!

E36M3
07-28-2002, 05:53 PM
For those who haven't yet seen one, here are some pics (SL500 shown):

E36M3
07-28-2002, 05:54 PM
SL55 AMG

E36M3
07-28-2002, 05:55 PM
Great Exterior shot

RX-7_TWINTURBO
07-28-2002, 05:56 PM
im pretty sure theres one in calgary i saw it downtown a couple months ago i could be wrong though
it always could of been a diffrent model

RX-7_TWINTURBO
07-28-2002, 05:57 PM
are they out yet ?
because that is the car i saw downtown

RX-7_TWINTURBO
07-28-2002, 05:58 PM
the sl55 that is

E36M3
07-28-2002, 05:59 PM
The SL55 might be available in Calgary by now. It is more likely that you saw a CL or an SL500 though.

T5_X
07-28-2002, 06:05 PM
That is one of the nicest looking cars in history. Absolutly beautiful... agressive, yet elegant, and definitly sexy!

I completly agree with you on the tranny. I don't believe this is the type of car that you want a std. in, but the F1 style manual select would suit this car perfectly. Mercedes certainly hasn't been big on the std's for a long time. Is the C class the only car from them you can get in std? Even std 190Es are really hard to find.

E36M3
07-28-2002, 06:09 PM
Well (in North America at least) you can now also get the SLK in a manual transmission. I'm sure that the European cars have many more models available with manual transmissions.

4wheeldrift
07-28-2002, 06:11 PM
There's a few SL's kicking around calgary, I don't think they were AMG models though.

I love the look of that car, its definetly right up there stylistically as a work of art. Most beautiful car ever could be argued, as after all everyone has their own tastes. Definetly in the same class as the 911 Turbo, Vanquish and Bentley GT though.

E36M3
07-28-2002, 06:19 PM
No offense to Bentley or Porsche, but I hardly feel that they have anywhere near the style of the new SL.

A Porsche Turbo looks sort of like a dillapated frog. (Look at the back end of the new turbo or any 911, and then picture the back of a frog, hunched down). BTW- I am not slagging Porsche 911s, I love them. I also love BMW M Coupes. I love both cars, but they are both ugly (at least in my opinion. Porsche has been very stubborn about the 911, ignoring physics and rationality, and despite all of that, consistently produced one of the best cars on the road.

The new Aston Martins are really nothing spectacular in person. They are really just modified XK8s, and look like Jaguars to the casual observer. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on something produced by Ford. Sorry, I just can't stomach it.

Bentleys, although stylish, are more bling bling than style. Although the GT is definately a great car, I just don't think it has the character that SL possesses. I think Mercedes cars are far superior to Bentleys and Rolls Royces, but that may very well change in the next few years with VW & BMWs involvement.

Ekliptix
07-28-2002, 06:21 PM
I saw one 2 days ago. very very nice.

DriveOrBeDriven
07-28-2002, 06:22 PM
:drool::hitit::drool:

4wheeldrift
07-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by E36M3

A Porsche Turbo looks sort of like a dillapated frog. (Look at the back end of the new turbo or any 911, and then picture the back of a frog, hunched down). BTW- I am not slagging Porsche 911s, I love them. I also love BMW M Coupes. I love both cars, but they are both ugly (at least in my opinion. Porsche has been very stubborn about the 911, ignoring physics and rationality, and despite all of that, consistently produced one of the best cars on the road.

I heard an interesting quote about porsches stubborn refusal to change drivelines etc. It basically went "You can't change a pig into a thouroghbred, but you can make a damn fast pig." Despite the early porsches reputations for absolutely evil handling they have stuck with it and made it work, turned the car into one of the most fantastic, driveable machines on the road.

Personally, I think for a road car the SL is quite good looking, possibly one of the best looking road cars ever produced. For most beautiful car ever produced, I start looking to race machinery however.

Hakkola
07-28-2002, 06:57 PM
I see an SL like everyday, there's usually one cruisin around the neighbourhood. I don't think the SL55's are available in Calgary yet, although one of my friends says he saw one, but it could possibly be a fake sl55, I wouldn't doubt someone would have bought an sl500 and put fake badges on until they could get their hands on the real thing.

GP_DrIvEr
07-28-2002, 07:02 PM
i havent seen any of the new sl's in calgary yet... but damn i wish i have the sl55 is :bigpimp: :burnout: :drool: :drool:

Stratus_Power
07-28-2002, 10:01 PM
i saw quite a few already.. all sliver so far.. saw one cruising near hertiage drive, saw one parked on the drive way somewhere down south.... then another 1 or 2 drove past me before

mischief
07-28-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
There's a few SL's kicking around calgary, I don't think they were AMG models though.

I love the look of that car, its definetly right up there stylistically as a work of art. Most beautiful car ever could be argued, as after all everyone has their own tastes. Definetly in the same class as the 911 Turbo, Vanquish and Bentley GT though.

Lone Star's 1st SL 55 AMG is being produced in Sept. It should be here by late Sept. or early Oct.

I also really like the styling of the new SL. However It's too big and heavy to be a true sports car. Its more of a top down grand touring car. I much rather have an SLK 32 AMG.

Superesc
07-28-2002, 10:09 PM
http://www.mbusa.com

under Special Feature on the main page, SL microsite, lots of pics.

jaylo
07-28-2002, 11:42 PM
yeah I've seen the silver ones, looks really slick, I've always liked the sl class benz and also the new cl class amg

Evan
07-28-2002, 11:54 PM
SL500 is so nice. I've seen one driving and I drooled over it at the Car Show this year :)

Stratus_Power
07-28-2002, 11:56 PM
i hated the old Sl500.. so ugly ;( but the new one..:hitit: :hitit: :hitit: :hitit:

max_boost
07-28-2002, 11:58 PM
It is truly a beautiful car. Maybe one day I can own one!

rage2
07-29-2002, 12:27 AM
Recognize the location?

http://www.virgeweb.com/photos/0620-2002-solo2num4/DSCN2321.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/photos/0620-2002-solo2num4/DSCN2323.jpg

rage2
07-29-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by mischief
I also really like the styling of the new SL. However It's too big and heavy to be a true sports car. Its more of a top down grand touring car. I much rather have an SLK 32 AMG.

Hard to say, the SL's full of cool active handling gadgets. The SL55 will murder pretty much any other car on the road (stock anyways).

Ben
07-29-2002, 12:38 AM
DAMNNIT!!!

Always wicked cars at Phills!!!!!!!!!!

E36M3
07-29-2002, 01:19 AM
It is definately true that the SL doesn't live up to its model designation. Being neither a sportscar or light, it none-the-less handles incredible well, is incredible fast, and has excellent brakes.

Personally, I can't imagine choosing an SLK over an SL, unless price was an issue.

I'd much rather get an SL for a daily driver, and have a lightly modified Miata as an autocross car.

Moe
07-29-2002, 01:25 AM
I'm not sure which model it was, but in the past week I saw the same SL cruzin' down 32nd Ave NE three of four times. It looks absolutely amazing. I did drive down to Hyatt one day and take a look at the one they had in the showroom.

Even though I pulled up in the '98 SLK230 they still wouldn't let me take it for a test drive. I guess they thought I was driving my dads car. Man does that piss me off when that happens. :banghead:

E36M3
07-29-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Moe
I'm not sure which model it was, but in the past week I saw the same SL cruzin' down 32nd Ave NE three of four times. It looks absolutely amazing. I did drive down to Hyatt one day and take a look at the one they had in the showroom.

Even though I pulled up in the '98 SLK230 they still wouldn't let me take it for a test drive. I guess they thought I was driving my dads car. Man does that piss me off when that happens. :banghead:

Somehow, I doubt that Mercedes dealers (even in this economy) have to allow test drives to sell the new SL. If you are a tire kicker, you probably aren't going to but one anyway.

At the Mercedes dealers in my neck of the woods, all the SLs are sold before they get to the dealership. I would imagine it is pretty much the same everywhere.

If you really want to test drive one, and you bought your car new, go to the dealership you bought it from. I'm sure they'll let you take it for a spin without raising too much of a stink.

rage2
07-29-2002, 01:31 AM
Personally, I can't imagine choosing an SLK over an SL, unless price was an issue.

I'd much rather get an SL for a daily driver, and have a lightly modified Miata as an autocross car.

I agree 99%, except for the Miata autocross car... I'd AutoX my SL if I could afford one. :D

E36M3
07-29-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I agree 99%, except for the Miata autocross car... I'd AutoX my SL if I could afford one. :D

I'm not much of a racer, but I'm not sure that autocrossing a car that is as heavy as the SL would be much fun. My prediction is that you would melt the brakes after a few good runs.

The only cars I've seen autocrossed with that kind of weight are Supra Turbos and 3000GTs, and they did not come out very well. As I'm sure you know, a really light car like an SLK/Miata/S2000 is pretty much ideal for autocrossing.

80supra
07-29-2002, 02:05 AM
Today I saw a new sl500 AMG... was on 12th Ave NW at this ghetto bar beside the safeway... 19inch rims... was PIIIIIMP...
:bigpimp:

rage2
07-29-2002, 02:10 AM
I'm not much of a racer, but I'm not sure that autocrossing a car that is as heavy as the SL would be much fun. My prediction is that you would melt the brakes after a few good runs.

Have you seen the brakes on an SL? They're massive =). Totally disagree with you on this one, but we'll find out when I buy my SL hehe.

E36M3
07-29-2002, 02:13 AM

Have you seen the brakes on an SL? They're massive =). Totally disagree with you on this one, but we'll find out when I buy my SL hehe.

You might be right, who knows. All I know is that it takes more brake power to stop a big heavy car. I'd love to actually have the problem of deciding wether or not to take my SL to the track.

Saw one tonight walking to the movie theatre. It was insanely beautiful. Made the S500 parked behind it look totally bland.

mischief
07-29-2002, 07:44 AM

Hard to say, the SL's full of cool active handling gadgets. The SL55 will murder pretty much any other car on the road (stock anyways).

Yes, but this all comes with a heavy price tag! Hell you could have two SLK 32 AMG's for that price.!

I think the pricing on the SL 55 AMG is gonna be comparable to the 911 turbo. Won't that car be a better all around sports car? I guess the only setback is that its a coupe not a roadster.

mischief
07-29-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Moe

Susposidly there sold out for the 1st 2 or 3 years. Even the ones on display at the dealerships were sold. They just couldn't deliver them right away. MB wanted it in the showroom for a bit to showcase.

B17a
07-29-2002, 09:07 AM
I've seen one one SL55 AMG in town so far for sure. I saw a preview on Car and Driver or something a while back, there's only 2000 made and they retail for something like $170K CDN, but we don't need to worry as they're all spoken for for a while!!

boi-alien
07-29-2002, 10:11 AM
nice car :hitit: :hitit:

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2002, 10:56 AM
gorgeous car ..so pimp my dads client has one, he kidn of looks funny drivign it though..super small skinny guy in a brand new black sl500..pretty damn funny, all you can see is his head

HRD2PLZ
07-29-2002, 12:22 PM
Sure are gorgeous cars! :drool: My dads due for a sports car...maybe I can get him into one of those :thumbsup:

LowRiderHD2000
07-29-2002, 01:10 PM
A friend in Edmonton gave me the chance to drive the SL55 AMG. Very impressive car.

Also got a chance to go for a ride in an SL500. He's a older member at the Golf course which I joined. Cool car. Turns a lot of heads. :burnout: