PDA

View Full Version : Shaw HD vs Bell HD

codetrap
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I've been doing some reading, and I'm getting a pretty good selection of channels now from ExpressVu, but I see that Shaw is a little cheaper with their HD package, and the bundling discount.

So, anyone got any experiences with both? I'm pretty happy with Bell, just don't like paying $70/month for TV... but then again, it's nice to watch all my fav shows and discovery etc in HD...

I also see that I would have to purchase outright the Shaw Box, which is a little well, insane to me, since I'm renting the Bell one for free (bundle discount)..

Thoughts on Shaw vs Bell?

SNAATCH
09-19-2007, 01:12 PM
If you like TV stick to Bell. Offers way more HD channels, and even the regular digital channels come through way more clear than Shaw. I've set up both systems and Bell all the way.

5hift
09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
if your getting a decent HD package for 70/month, I wouldnt expect anything less from Shaw. Just worse service, less selection, and having to buy the box

anarchy
09-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Bell has more selection in terms of HD but not by as much as you think, since a lot of their channels are time-shift ones which means you are getting the same channels but just in different time zones.

And there are numerous packages available at Shaw that would likely suit your needs. If you are getting an HD box as a free rental through Bell that is pretty good.

Shaw boxes are purchase only (for HD anyways) but you don't have to pay it all up front, you can do easypay and do monthly payments.

Also, there is a new promotion where if you own your satellite receiver, you can swap it for an Shaw HDPVR, which includes a free install and first month free of digital channels.

I guess in the end, it's up to you what route you take but there certainly perks to either service. I don't think there's a clear cut winner.

Xtrema
09-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Bell dedicates more bandwidth/HD Channel, hence better pictures. If you have it already, I don't see why you would want to switch to Shaw. Not for a few bucks.

Other than that, they are pretty much the same.

kenny
09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Bell has superior hardware. If you're already on Bell I would stick with them. The channel line-up is also pretty much the same on both.

Shaw not only has a buggy HD-PVR, its also very expensive and has a small HD (only 160GB). Notice all shaw reps always quote how much you can record in terms of SD content?

HyperZell
09-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Another vote for Bell. The HD on there is great, and I'm not sure about now but you always seemed to get more channels than Shaw.

codetrap
09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all the opinions guys. Much appreciated.

jjjheimer
09-19-2007, 06:14 PM
I just switched from Bell HD to Shaw HD recently and they both have their pros and cons. Shaw's HD lineup is essentially the same as ExpressVu for the stuff I watch. So Bell's marketing about it being the superior HD provider based on number of channels are overblown.

The HD PVR hardware from both providers is sub par. Both have their issues. The 9200s I have really sucked when playing back HD content. If I was to speculate on a reason for this I would guess that MPEG stream errors were responsible. For example last season's Survivor episodes would reliably screw up. I'm not a big Survivor fan but you wouldn't believe the grief I got from the wife over the problems with playback. So far the 6412 I replaced it with is running well with respect to PVR playback. However there are no zoom/aspect ratio options with the Shaw box when connected via HDMI.

I prefer EV's guide to Shaw's hands down. The search is better, there are sorting options and the ability create your own filtered lists.

The biggest difference I perceive between the two is the HD picture itself. Shaw's colours are deeper and brighter and generally the video appears to have more resolution, less motion blur and fewer artifacts. HD football is much better on Shaw but we'll have to wait for the real acid test: HD hockey from Anaheim. The origination equipment in Anaheim provides some of the best live HD picture quality I've seen. ExpressVu signal is limited by transponder space and its very expense to add more. Shaw has its own challenges with respect to signal bandwidth but its easier for them to manage in comparison . At the end of the day the difference is subtle and unless you've got a big HD TV you probably won't notice. I'll add the Standard Def on Shaw is, most of the time, noticeably worse than EV.

I thought I would miss the time-shifted channels but Shaw has enough eastern feeds that it isn't an issue. So far its been a good move.

tictactoe2004
09-19-2007, 07:50 PM
If you havent had Shaw cable in the past 90 days, you can trade in *ANY* used satellite receiver for a free Shaw HD-PVR. From what I understand it's a refurb but still has a 3 year warranty. This is not a rental, you will own the HD-PVR and there is no contract. I haven't done this yet myself as i'm trying to figure out a way to get it even though I already have shaw cable.. but if anyone does it, please confirm.

nj2Type-S
09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
sorry to go a bit off topic here but how much does each provider compare as far as monthly rate goes??? thanks!

anarchy
09-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
If you havent had Shaw cable in the past 90 days, you can trade in *ANY* used satellite receiver for a free Shaw HD-PVR. From what I understand it's a refurb but still has a 3 year warranty. This is not a rental, you will own the HD-PVR and there is no contract. I haven't done this yet myself as i'm trying to figure out a way to get it even though I already have shaw cable.. but if anyone does it, please confirm.
The best way to do this is to start a new account under a different name. For example, if your current account is under your name right now, call into cancel it (ie. Oct.1) and say your roommate/relative is moving in and will be taking over the services.

Then have a friend/relative call in and activate the services, they will close your account, activate a new account, and you should qualify for the satellite swap promotion. The bill will come under the new name of course, and if the new account holder wants the same services as the current one, then they won't disconnect your services, all the adjustments will be done on the account-end and with billing only.

anarchy
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
sorry to go a bit off topic here but how much does each provider compare as far as monthly rate goes??? thanks!
I don't know about Bell but for Shaw:

HD Basic: $54.95
Includes HDTV basic TV at no extra cost
Includes Full Cable TV
Includes Digital basic channels
This is basically just full cable, and when you have an HD box you get some of the HD channels at no extra cost.

HD Plus: $63.95
Includes HDTV basic + HDTV plus channels
Includes Full Cable TV
Includes Digital Basic channels
For an extra 9 bucks, you get full cable plus ALL the Shaw HD channels.

cdnsir
09-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I worked at one of the TV providers before, and I'm just saying this based on content quality and not price of subscription/hardware...

Bell does have more HD content, but they actually compress it a bit so the image is not as great

Shaw and Star Choice has less HD content, but the picture quality is noticeably better

heavyD
09-20-2007, 03:19 PM
I have Shaw HD and my brother has Bell HD and IMO Bell looks better on his TV and I have a superior HDTV to boot. I prefer Shaw's menu system but their customer service is brutal. I'll ask them to add a package, they in turn subract a package. I order NFL Sunday Ticket and get billed for NHL Center Ice. Seems like any changes/additions I make I have to call twice because they mess it up the first time.