PDA

View Full Version : Crimestoppers

G-ZUS
09-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I was reading about them today in "Metro". Since it's anonymous and they don't know who you are, how do you get a reward??

The Cosworth
09-19-2007, 01:44 PM
if you want the award i am pretty sure you dont get anonymity

TKRIS
09-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Yes you do.
IMS, it's a numbered account at a bank or something similar.
They give you the number and a password and you go in and collect the reward.

Just what I've heard. Don't have any first hand experience...

If there's one thing De Niro taught me it's to never rat on my friends, and to keep my mouth shut...
j/k

JRSC00LUDE
09-19-2007, 01:50 PM
You do, I'm not sure how it works but I know you do. I have some shady characters in my family and my aunt's boyfriend once ratted out my other aunt's husband for trafficking some prescription drugs and growing some weed anonymously through crime-stoppers because he was pissed off at him for something.

Made like $500 bucks or something plus got the satisfaction of the obvious results with nobody in that circle ever knowing how he got caught! :rofl:

urban.one
09-19-2007, 02:39 PM
When you call to give them a tip, they give you code number.

You then wait. Watch the news if anyone is arrested, etc.

You then call back in a few months, give them the code, and theyll tell you if you are elligible for a reward.

If you are elligible for a reward, they have a few options of where you can pick up the money. A common place is a bank. Youre then given another code and instructions on how to pickup the money from the bank.

gsus
09-19-2007, 04:19 PM
^^^ correct

BARNSEY
09-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Crimestoppers is amazing. My parents are very good friends and related (through marriage) with the fellow who created the whole Crimestoppers idea. I could find out some really good details on the whole thing, just gotta give him a call.

urban.one
09-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by BARNSEY
Crimestoppers is amazing. My parents are very good friends and related (through marriage) with the fellow who created the whole Crimestoppers idea. I could find out some really good details on the whole thing, just gotta give him a call.

Crimestoppers first began in Albuquerque, New Mexico in the USA during July 1976 which saw the fatal shooting of a university co-ed working one night at a local filling station. After two weeks the police had no information when out of desperation a Detective MacAleese approaches the local television station requesting a reconstruction of the crime. The re-enactment offered US$ 1,000.00 for information leading to the arrest of the killers. Within 72 hours, a person called in identifying a car leaving the scene at high speed and he had noted its registration. The person calling said that he did not want to get involved so he had not called earlier. Detective MacAleese then realized that fear and apathy were the primary reasons why the public tended to not get involved. So he helped design a system where the public could anonymously provide details of the events. To overcome these he targeted three areas of need:

1. Stimulating community involvement and participation in Crimestoppers
2. Taking advantage of every possible media opportunity, especially electronic media, to publicise unsolved crimes, and
3. Offering cash rewards for information leading to an arrest and/or conviction.