PDA

View Full Version : Talking down dealers

CRX crazy
07-04-2003, 04:18 PM
hey guys and gals, as some of you know I'm on the prowl for a new car and I've been looking at a couple at dealerships. I need to know the best way to talk a dealer down. Beeing a girl kinda sucks when it comes to these things but you got to do it. I bought my last car from a dealership and talked the sticker price down 2 grand. But that was a long time ago, and it also helped that I had one of my guys with me. Any tips you guys throw out would be great thanks.

kaput
07-04-2003, 04:22 PM

CRX crazy
07-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Damn thats gotta be one of the only disadvantages of being a girl :banghead:

ecstasy_civic
07-04-2003, 04:24 PM
most dealerships have a no haggle price which means, no haggling lol.

so the best you might get is a couple hundred off and maybe a 3M clear plastic front.

my parents get new cars every 8 months so i pretty much know the routine lol.

its to bad that you cant dicker as much as you used too.

Abom
07-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
most dealerships have a no haggle price which means, no haggling lol.

so the best you might get is a couple hundred off and maybe a 3M clear plastic front.

my parents get new cars every 8 months so i pretty much know the routine lol.

its to bad that you cant dicker as much as you used too.

I actually think bargaining sucks. Dealers should have a set price for a brand new car, and maybe they can throw in a couple extras (I dunno, free 3M clear taped front like you said, or they cover the GST or something), but major bargaining is bullshit. In the end, different people get very different prices because of their age, sex, whatever, which is lame.

Altezza
07-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Wear something low cut with a short skirt...

szw
07-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

I tried that, doesn"t work!!!:nut:

ecstasy_civic
07-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Abom

I actually think bargaining sucks. Dealers should have a set price for a brand new car, and maybe they can throw in a couple extras (I dunno, free 3M clear taped front like you said, or they cover the GST or something), but major bargaining is bullshit. In the end, different people get very different prices because of their age, sex, whatever, which is lame.

your exactly right, thats why they have no haggle prices, so they can give everyone the same price despite race, sex or age.

three.eighteen.
07-04-2003, 07:26 PM
just lie about other cars of relative value you found at other dealerships..."but so and so down the street has a similar car for 2k less...and 40k less on the odometer...now what are you gonna do mr. salesman?"

Abom
07-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
just lie about other cars of relative value you found at other dealerships..."but so and so down the street has a similar car for 2k less...and 40k less on the odometer...now what are you gonna do mr. salesman?"

First of all, new cars have less than 1000km on the odometer. So this 40k less must apply to used cars. On used cars you have some room to bargain, and rightfully so, because every single used car has it's own unique set of little problems, so you and the used car dealer work out a price that you're both happy with.

On a new car, they're all the same, and there shouldn't be any bargaining involved. That's just fucking lame :thumbsdow

Oh, and lying about other cars you've seen is fucking lame as well. How would you like it if you were trying to sell your own car privately and someone came to look at it and started talking about how Mr. Joe Blow down the street is selling a better one for less money? That's not only gay, but it's not right either. Don't lie about shit like that :thumbsdow

CRX crazy
07-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

You know that did cross my mind, but have you ever tried test driving a standard in a skirt :nut: :nut: jj I wouldn't use my body to try to buy a car . . . . but maybe for. . . :angel: jj again

Ichigo
07-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Hey guy's wut up.. This may be a bad way to introduce myself but.. I signed up just to reply to this post.... and maybe more in the futre..

Sleeping with the dealer can get you COST.. :clap:

Abom
07-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
Hey guy's wut up.. This may be a bad way to introduce myself but.. I signed up just to reply to this post.... and maybe more in the futre..

Sleeping with the dealer can get you COST.. :clap:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Welcome to beyond!!

max_boost
07-04-2003, 10:14 PM
On a new car, they're all the same, and there shouldn't be any bargaining involved. That's just fucking lame :thumbsdow

Dude, that is lame. Who pays MSRP? Are you saying there should be no bargaining on new cars? Unless its an AMG, STi or something else high in demand, I am expecting something off. Take advantage of it now before all the dealerships move towards the one price policy.

Anyway, first thing I do is look at the interest rate. I hate paying interest haha

Show the salesguy you are serious about purchasing a car, once he believes you, he will do anything to make the sale.:thumbsup:

This what I would do, pick your vehicle, have a price in mind. Show up on a rainy, slow day, shortly before closing, they will be desperate to close the deal :rofl:

Abom
07-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Dude, that is lame. Who pays MSRP? Are you saying there should be no bargaining on new cars? Unless its an AMG, STi or something else high in demand, I am expecting something off. Take advantage of it now before all the dealerships move towards the one price policy.

Anyway, first thing I do is look at the interest rate. I hate paying interest haha

I'm assuming that you want to pay in straight cash, when financing comes into play and such, things are different in every single case, and as such can't be compared.

Personally, I will never buy a car by financing or any other way like loans and such. If I don't have the money to buy it, I won't. Loaning / financing your car is shitty. You pay interest (read: waste money) and if anything were to happen (you lose your job, you get a pay cut, etc) and you can't pay anymore, they take your car and ruin your credit :thumbsdow

Anyways, yes, I am saying there should be NO bargaining with the price on brand new cars. It leads to nothing but bullshit, like influences based on age, gender, etc, like we're seeing in above posts. That, in my opinion, is lame and shouldn't happen. A new car cost a certain amount of money, and that's that. If people don't like the price tag, they shouldn't buy it :thumbsdow

max_boost
07-04-2003, 10:31 PM

I'm assuming that you want to pay in straight cash, when financing comes into play and such, things are different in every single case, and as such can't be compared.

Personally, I will never buy a car by financing or any other way like loans and such. If I don't have the money to buy it, I won't. Loaning / financing your car is shitty. You pay interest (read: waste money) and if anything were to happen (you lose your job, you get a pay cut, etc) and you can't pay anymore, they take your car and ruin your credit :thumbsdow

Anyways, yes, I am saying there should be NO bargaining with the price on brand new cars. It leads to nothing but bullshit, like influences based on age, gender, etc, like we're seeing in above posts. That, in my opinion, is lame and shouldn't happen. A new car cost a certain amount of money, and that's that. If people don't like the price tag, they shouldn't buy it :thumbsdow :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Abom
07-04-2003, 10:35 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What's so funny? You think financing your way into debt is cool? Or unfair bargaining is cool? :dunno:

max_boost
07-04-2003, 11:43 PM

What's so funny? You think financing your way into debt is cool? Or unfair bargaining is cool? :dunno: Those who finance their way into debt are inept in dealing with financial matters.

Nothing wrong with bargaining on a new car either, everyone loves to save a buck or two.

With your one sided way of thinking, it is really pointless trying to get anything across to you.

Abom
07-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Those who finance their way into debt are inept in dealing with financial matters.

Nothing wrong with bargaining on a new car either, everyone loves to save a buck or two.

With your one sided way of thinking, it is really pointless trying to get anything across to you.

Just because people go into debt doesn't mean they can't handle their finances. Say you're paying off a new car, as well a mortgage on a house. Say you lose your job suddenly one day, you're laid off or something. How is that a person's fault? Does it mean they can't handle their finances?

And no, like I said, dealers can through in little stuff like taking care of the GST and such. But with larger differences in price, it just becomes unfair for certain people, which is wrong.

RC-Cola
07-05-2003, 12:43 AM
To get back on track. It kind of depends on the type of car you want. Domestics have great deals on them and Salesguys are hungary because they have a Ford or GM Dealer every couple of blocks.

If you're looking to purchase a car and want to deal try and find one that isn't in as high of demand and they have in stock. Prehaps try the "Gees, I really like this Civic but I really had my heart set on a black one instead of this Silver one". That quite often will get you a little better deal.

As far as being a girl, if the salesguy give you flak, ask to have another salesperson to help you. YOU SHOULDN'T TAKE ANY SHIT FROM THEM. It's your money and a major investment, be comfortable with your purchase. Nothing is worse than Buyer's Remorse. Also, ALWAYS be ready to walk away if they start to give you a little flak. Remember, you are doing them a favour by buying a car from them, they are not doing you a favour by selling you a car. They are always other dealer s that are in town that you can deal with...

a_peep
07-05-2003, 12:48 AM
I got $2000 of my RSX-S...

I learnt to not be in a rush ever, even walk out on them a couple times if needed.

Personally I'd never buy another brand new car, I'm not going to be in a rush when I'm looking but I'm going to always have an eye for 1 or 2 yr old car. That way it won't depreciate so quickly... once you drive off the lot it goes down so much. Of course it will be from an older adult that would've never wanted to pin the throttle.

Khyron
07-05-2003, 12:51 AM
It's called competition. If dealers were forced to stick to a fixed price, then there's no way for the smaller dealer to draw buyers from the bigger dealer. Same way gas wars work.

You are not "screwing" the dealer. If they want to sell the car, to keep you as a buyer and take a loss, then that's their business. If you are lowballing and they don't want to sell, they wont.

Ford explorer, we tagged teamed the dealer and got 14K off sticker. Jetta, was about 5 off sticker and it was ordered not a lot car.

Advice:

Keep the big 3 separate. Tradein, purchase price and finance rate are 3 separate things - deal with them as such. Otherwise the dealer can say, give you 3K off the sticker, but underbuy your trade for 3K.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK. You are spending 20+ thousand dollars, spend the hours! I don't know about you, but I make less than 500 bucks an hour. Pick some cars, research them on the web. Once you have 3-5 you are interested in, goto a site that sells dealer invoice prices. Buy the ones you want. Look for hidden dealer incentives, etc. Now aim for INVOICE (not sticker) cost, + say 2-4% profit for the dealer, assuming there's no kickbacks for dealer.

WALK AWAY. Unless he gives you what you want, leave. Again, this is 20+ grand - you can afford to make 2 trips. This is where girls get caught - seriously. Go in without your checkbook and swear you will not sign anything today, even if the car is ideal. Unless it's something limited, it will be around tomorrow.

Dat's good for now, someone else add-on. :D

Oh - and don't forget the dealer gets his money back with service appts. :guns:

Khyron

googe
07-05-2003, 01:03 AM
A few tips.

First, season can help. I once got a killer deal on a sports car I was purchasing in February. Dealers typically make more money in the summer, and in the winter they are hungry. Also, the end of the month is best. If at all possible, go for the end of a winter month ;) The dealer, and the manager, will very much want to be able to include the sale in this months numbers in most cases. I found that one out accidentally, there were 2 days left in the month and the dealer kept calling ME back with a lower price, and throwing in perks.

Second, there is no such thing as no haggle prices. If he says he cant go down on the sticker, he is full of shit. They can ALWAYS go down. They can, and will.

Also, contrary to what many people think is effective, do not point out flaws in the car or try to downplay its value. This makes the seller defensive about their property, even if its a dealer selling a car that isnt really their own. Once they are defending it, they decide you are being unreasonable and dont listen as much. If it seems as though you both think the car is a good value, he feels that you understand whats up, and is more likely to sway.

Once you have talked him down as low as you can, tell him you will take a day to think about it. The more you draw out the process, the more the dealer will just want the damn thing to be over with. Next time you talk to him, say you decided you will be able to take it but for [insert lower price here]. He will probably be like ok sure whatever, just come get it.

If he says no, dont cave. Within a few days he will either give it to you for that price, or at least come back with a price lower than the original. If he comes back with a higher price, take a minute to think about it and say "Ok, but as long as I can have an extended warranty". Dealers are allowed to give those out.

And never let the dealer know what your finances are like. He has to think youre making sacrifices to afford this car. If he knows youre going to pay cash for it without a problem, hes not going to take your haggling seriously :)

Thats about all that comes to mind. Good luck.

Abom
07-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by googe
Also, contrary to what many people think is effective, do not point out flaws in the car or try to downplay its value. This makes the seller defensive about their property, even if its a dealer selling a car that isnt really their own. Once they are defending it, they decide you are being unreasonable and dont listen as much. If it seems as though you both think the car is a good value, he feels that you understand whats up, and is more likely to sway.

Once you have talked him down as low as you can, tell him you will take a day to think about it. The more you draw out the process, the more the dealer will just want the damn thing to be over with. Next time you talk to him, say you decided you will be able to take it but for [insert lower price here]. He will probably be like ok sure whatever, just come get it.

If he says no, dont cave. Within a few days he will either give it to you for that price, or at least come back with a price lower than the original. If he comes back with a higher price, take a minute to think about it and say "Ok, but as long as I can have an extended warranty". Dealers are allowed to give those out.

Pointing out flaws only applies in used cars, not new ones, in case you thought I meant new cars. And most used car dealers don't even know about a lot about the used cars they're selling (their cars come and go all the time), so they mostly don't even mind if you point things out, even if you don't buy it, then they will be able to fix the minor stuff for the next potential buyer.

The more you draw out the process the more the dealer will want the car gone? I don't know about you guys, but new car dealers won't move THAT much on the price like you're suggesting. And they also don't give a rats ass if you come to buy the car or not the next day. I mean of course they want to sell it, but someone else will if you don't, guarenteed. They will phone you back and try to concede? What? There's a certain limit the dealers go down with, and they aren't going to go back and forth bartering around.

What she needs to do is shop around, go to different dealers, look at different cars, and talk about the price. Depending how she's paying for the car, she can haggle the price a bit. But these cat-and-mouse games are such :bullshit:

googe
07-05-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Ford explorer, we tagged teamed the dealer and got 14K off sticker. Jetta, was about 5 off sticker and it was ordered not a lot car.

Nice work :thumbsup: How did you tag team exactly? The best I did was getting a car with a sticker of 82K down to 65K, with a free extended 5 year warranty, and a free cruise. Brand new car, current model, early in the season. I had no idea they could go that low, but now that I do I have kept that in mind :) I wasnt even trying for that, the circumstances just ended up with the dealer on his knees throwing in whatever he could to close the deal.

googe
07-05-2003, 01:20 AM

The more you draw out the process the more the dealer will want the car gone? I don't know about you guys, but new car dealers won't move THAT much on the price like you're suggesting. And they also don't give a rats ass if you come to buy the car or not the next day. I mean of course they want to sell it, but someone else will if you don't, guarenteed. They will phone you back and try to concede? What? There's a certain limit the dealers go down with, and they aren't going to go back and forth bartering around.

No way man. I have had multiple dealers phoning me back. Sure someone else might buy the same car if you dont, but its all about the most numbers in the shortest time frame. The idea is to sell as much as you can as fast as you can, within reason. And yes, they can move ALOT.

max_boost
07-05-2003, 01:33 AM

Just because people go into debt doesn't mean they can't handle their finances. Say you're paying off a new car, as well a mortgage on a house. Say you lose your job suddenly one day, you're laid off or something. How is that a person's fault? Does it mean they can't handle their finances?

And no, like I said, dealers can through in little stuff like taking care of the GST and such. But with larger differences in price, it just becomes unfair for certain people, which is wrong.

You get laid off, how about finding a new job? How about selling your assets? To you it is debt, to me it is an expense incurred to enjoy life.

Can't handle their finances? ARe you living pay cheque to pay cheque? It is good to have 3 months living expense saved up.

What is the difference from bargaining off MSRP and having the dealer paying GST and such? Is that not the same thing? Getting $$$ off?

Anyway, I don't see this unfair, wrong part of your argument. BUt that is your opinion and I will leave it as that.

Khyron
07-05-2003, 02:12 AM

Yah they do - that's what we're telling you. Of course it's not a walk in the park, because dealers are not stupid and don't cave as soon as you make an offer.

VW is notorious for not haggling more than 1K, it took a lot of work to get the price down (they still made money tho). Domestics move far more than imports.

The Ford thing was actually funny as hell - one guy at one dealer, another at another dealer on cellphones, bartering back and forth. In the end, there was actually only 1 Explorer so the winning dealer transfered it from the losing dealer. Do your homework so you know how much they will move. They WANT to move cars on the lots, and they make money on orders.

And yah, both purchases were at the end of Nov/Dec - great time to buy. :D

EDIT: And as long as I'm working for my bargains - be it a house, cars, bank rates, electronics, computers - anything - if the next guy is a lazy fool dropping 20+ K on impulse, then he can pay sticker and pay for my savings.

Khyron

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:12 AM
You get laid off, how about finding a new job? How about selling your assets? To you it is debt, to me it is an expense incurred to enjoy life.

Can't handle their finances? ARe you living pay cheque to pay cheque? It is good to have 3 months living expense saved up.

What is the difference from bargaining off MSRP and having the dealer paying GST and such? Is that not the same thing? Getting $$$ off?

Anyway, I don't see this unfair, wrong part of your argument. BUt that is your opinion and I will leave it as that.

Agreed on finding another job, but sometimes it's no so easy for people, life isn't that simple. And finances, I'm not living pay cheque to pay cheque, lol, and people who get in trouble with their finances most aren't either. Again, life is not so straight forward.

And bargaining a little off MSRP or having GST paid for you I suppose is fine. But we're talking taking $10 000 of the sticker price, and that will only apply to a certain gender and age, I mean, come on. THAT is not fair. For example, what if you get a racist sales guy? Say you're black, and he doesn't like black people, but he likes white people, so they white people get a discount and the black guy doesn't. That's not cool :thumbsdow

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 02:17 AM
$10,000!!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHA ive never ever heard of a drop that much on a brand new car. the whole time we've been saying like a couple hundred bucks, and thats being realistic.

voodoo
07-05-2003, 02:18 AM
With your one sided way of thinking, it is really pointless trying to get anything across to you. [/B]

y do u think people on JCA dont like him

Khyron
07-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Better to look at it as the dealer is out to gouge as much as the market will handle, your job as a savy buyer is to save as much as possible. EVOs had a nice 10+K "dealer addon" when they first came out (there's a pic of one sticker with a 20K dealer markup) - if people were willing to pay so be it.

If salesman is a racist then he'll lose money from all the smart black people that go to the other salesman. Which would make him poor.

Khyron

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:19 AM
$10,000!!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHA ive never ever heard of a drop that much on a brand new car. the whole time we've been saying like a couple hundred bucks, and thats being realistic.

Yeah, no kidding, $14 000 he said on the Explorer :bullshit:

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by voodoo
y do u think people on JCA dont like him

Why do you think many people hate Team Fagpulse? Why don't you go back to your precious JCA? I left because half the people there are ricers :thumbsdow

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:23 AM

And on that note, anyone who got $10 000 off their new car was being ripped off to begin with. Dealer prices the car at $10 000 over what it's worth, then lowers the price by $10 000 "just for you" and you get "the deal of a lifetime". hahahahaha, sounds like someone got caught by a good saleman ;)

Redlyne_mr2
07-05-2003, 02:25 AM
Theres no point in talking about racism a sale is a sale, if the customer buys the car then they obviously feel like they are getting a good deal and thats all that matters. The best way to save money when buying a car is too watch what has been sitting on the lot for a while. The longer the car has been sitting the more it costs the dealer in finance charges, storing, cleaning etc. look for the lot sitters and I guarantee you will save yourself a ton of money..hehe btw 10k off? Most dealers dont even make that when selling a car

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Theres no point in talking about racism a sale is a sale, if the customer buys the car then they obviously feel like they are getting a good deal and thats all that matters. The best way to save money when buying a car is too watch what has been sitting on the lot for a while. The longer the car has been sitting the more it costs the dealer in finance charges, storing, cleaning etc. look for the lot sitters and I guarantee you will save yourself a ton of money..hehe btw 10k off? Most dealers dont even make that when selling a car

I agree, the customer should simply feel happy. I just don't agree with bargaining over a large discount, which is bullshit. But yeah, if you get some extras, they cover GST, stuff like that, then that's cool. And about the $10k off, that's such :bullshit:

googe
07-05-2003, 02:29 AM

Yeah, no kidding, $14 000 he said on the Explorer :bullshit:

Dude, dont be so stubborn :) We arent lying about our discounts to look cool. If youre going to be hard-headed about it, I guess I'll leave you alone.

Just trying to give the girl some tips. She cant lose anything by trying, right?

A side note, I overheard 2 salesmen talking about how selling cars isnt that hard, because its "the business where you screw people", followed by a chuckle. Dont feel bad to squeeze as much as you can :)

Khyron
07-05-2003, 02:31 AM
You really don't get it? Early SUVs were EXTREMELY profitable - far more than your average Saturn/Civic/etc. Ford was offering 5000 dollar DEALER incentives (ie, hidden factory bonuses to the dealerships) among tons of other extras/paddings.

You walk into a Hyundai dealer to barter on a 10K Accent. A 2K discount would be cool right? Well, on a 100K car, a 20K discount is the same bloody thing. It just sounds like a lot more. (Hence 10K on a 50K SUV).

But whatever - you keep paying sticker or enjoying your 500 dollar deal thinking you're the pimp, I'll just keep making up stories. :thumbsup:

Khyron

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by googe
Dude, dont be so stubborn :) We arent lying about our discounts to look cool. If youre going to be hard-headed about it, I guess I'll leave you alone.

Just trying to give the girl some tips. She cant lose anything by trying, right?

A side note, I overheard 2 salesmen talking about how selling cars isnt that hard, because its "the business where you screw people", followed by a chuckle. Dont feel bad to squeeze as much as you can :)

K, if she goes there thinking she's going to be able to squeeze $10 000 off a new price, then she's going to do absolutely nothing except make herself look like a complete dumbass / bitch, which I'm sure she doesn't want to do, and I'm sure she doesn't want to do it based on advice she finds here.

My advice: Go to the dealership, find a car you like, try to get a bit of a deal, get them to pay GST or give some stuff for free, maybe move on the price a little, and if you're happy with the deal you can get, then take it. If you're not happy with it, then don't. But please, don't go in there trying to get $10k off the tag price.

googe
07-05-2003, 02:36 AM
The cost to the dealer compared to the selling price is not the only factor, btw. Many many things are subsidized and sold at a loss, specifically those with recurring fees.

Cellular phones are all sold at a loss. The goal is to make up for this from the money spent on the service. Video games consoles are also sold at a loss. They make up for this in game sales. With cars, they get you on extended warranties, things like paint and leather protection, and servicing.

Financing as well. They make a ton on that.

Redlyne_mr2
07-05-2003, 02:36 AM
You really don't get it? Early SUVs were EXTREMELY profitable - far more than your average Saturn/Civic/etc. Ford was offering 5000 dollar DEALER incentives (ie, hidden factory bonuses to the dealerships) among tons of other extras/paddings.

You walk into a Hyundai dealer to barter on a 10K Accent. A 2K discount would be cool right? Well, on a 100K car, a 20K discount is the same bloody thing. It just sounds like a lot more. (Hence 10K on a 50K SUV).

But whatever - you keep paying sticker or enjoying your 500 dollar deal thinking you're the pimp, I'll just keep making up stories. :thumbsup:

Khyron
Ford was offering the incentives not the dealer, the money doesnt come out of the dealers pockets. I have never heard of a 20K discount on a 100K car no one can afford to do that. Like most things in this world there may be the extremely odd exception out there but it is getting harder and harder to bargain these days on new cars, Im with Max_boost id sooner bargain gst, and interest rates because those ways can end up saving you the most in the long run

googe
07-05-2003, 02:39 AM

K, if she goes there thinking she's going to be able to squeeze $10 000 off a new price, then she's going to do absolutely nothing except make herself look like a complete dumbass / bitch, which I'm sure she doesn't want to do, and I'm sure she doesn't want to do it based on advice she finds here.

It is relative to the price of the vehicle of course. You arent getting a $25,000 car for $15,000. But if you are lucky, you can get a $65,000 car for $55,000.

There is no sense arguing about this anymore, she has enough information from either side to make her own judgement.

ecstasy_civic
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Ford was offering the incentives not the dealer, the money doesnt come out of the dealers pockets. I have never heard of a 20K discount on a 100K car no one can afford to do that. Like most things in this world there may be the extremely odd exception out there but it is getting harder and harder to bargain these days on new cars, Im with Max_boost id sooner bargain gst, and interest rates because those ways can end up saving you the most in the long run

gst is the best way to save money, either way there making money of interest so they can swallow the gst and still come out ahead and still make you think your getting a better deal.

Khyron

My advice: Go to the dealership, find a car you like, try to get a bit of a deal, get them to pay GST or give some stuff for free, maybe move on the price a little, and if you're happy with the deal you can get, then take it. If you're not happy with it, then don't. But please, don't go in there trying to get $10k off the tag price.

Wtf - I didn't say you can get ANY car for 10K off (selective reading or what?). Go read my first post - find out the INVOICE cost and use that as your goal. If the invoice cost is only 3K less than MSRP (such as a Hyundai Elantra GT) then of course you don't try for 10. But if you're buying an loaded Expedition, you may just find that Invoice really is 10+K cheaper than MSRP. And yes, in RARE situations you can get it for below Invoice.

Khyron

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:43 AM
But if you're buying an loaded Expedition, you may just find that Invoice really is 10+K cheaper than MSRP. And yes, in RARE situations you can get it for below Invoice.

Yeah I'm still calling :bullshit: on getting THAT much off a car. You think if you buy a brand new Ferrari for $450 000, they're going to knock off $50 000? Like I said, someone fooled you good by jacking up the sticker price first, then giving you "a kick ass deal". But hey, if you're happy with it, then be happy with it ;)

Khyron
07-05-2003, 02:44 AM

Dealer incentives mean Ford cuts the dealership a cheque for selling a specific model. You deserve a big piece of that, and it's extra cash on top of all other normal savings.

You do the interest rates FIRST before you even walk in a showroom. Get rates from 2-3 banks. Then you have power over the dealer. (I had rates, but the dealer beat em all - even after my crazy discount). GST, Cash savings, it's the same thing. Cash coming out of dealers pocket. Give you 3K off, but you pay GST, or give you 1K off, but dealer pays GST - it's all the same Shell game.

Khyron

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:46 AM
Give you 3K off, but you pay GST, or give you 1K off, but dealer pays GST - it's all the same Shell game.

This is true, yep.

Khyron
07-05-2003, 02:48 AM
Like I said, someone fooled you good by jacking up the sticker price first, then giving you "a kick ass deal". But hey, if you're happy with it, then be happy with it

K, now you're just being stupid. MSRP is the MANUFACTURERS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE. It's set by the MANUFACTURER. You can look it up on their website, and it's the same throughout all the dealers. Any additions/markups are called "DEALER MARKUPS" and must be clearly defined (see previous post about EVO dealer markups etc).

EDIT: Ferraris are different because they are a) in demand - the Modena Spyder has something like a 3 year waiting list. b) Much of the alure is the elite cost of them. They don't "go on sale". BMWs don't move much either unless you find one that they want to get rid of.

Remember, demand overrules everything. If you are looking at an STI, you are going to get 0$ off, same as the VW Beetle when it first came out, or the Mini, etc etc etc.

Khyron

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:51 AM
K, now you're just being stupid. MSRP is the MANUFACTURERS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE. It's set by the MANUFACTURER. You can look it up on their website, and it's the same throughout all the dealers. Any additions/markups are called "DEALER MARKUPS" and must be clearly defined (see previous post about EVO dealer markups etc).

*yawn* I'm out of this thread, there's no point in arguing with you, you think you got a wicked deal, and that's EXACTLY what the dealer wants you to think ;) So you keep thinking that, no point in continuing to argue about it.

Khyron
07-05-2003, 02:55 AM
Yep you're right - same with the Jetta too. All an elaborate dealer illusion. :rofl:

Ooh and Googe must have been caught in the illusion too:

The best I did was getting a car with a sticker of 82K down to 65K, with a free extended 5 year warranty, and a free cruise. Brand new car, current model, early in the season.

Thats 17K discount + a cruise + warranty (that almost looks like a 20K discount!) - must be the Matrix.

Anyways hopefully the original poster will at least have some ideas on how to not get screwed which was the point - feel free to IM me details if you want some online help.

And I know you'll post again because you can't not have the last word.

Khyron

googe
07-05-2003, 02:57 AM

*yawn* I'm out of this thread, there's no point in arguing with you, you think you got a wicked deal, and that's EXACTLY what the dealer wants you to think ;) So you keep thinking that, no point in continuing to argue about it.

Sigh. Your argument has shifted.

No one here is talking about getting a good deal. We are talking about going as far below the asking price as possible. Rather than paying the inflated MSRP, we would like to pay less. Of course they are still making money off us, or they wouldnt be able to give it to us.

Is this so hard to understand?

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 02:57 AM
Yep you're right - same with the Jetta too. All an elaborate dealer illusion. :rofl:

Anyways hopefully the original poster will at least have some ideas on how to not get screwed which was the point - feel free to IM me details if you want some online help.

Khyron

the last sentance is so true:rofl:

Khyron
07-05-2003, 03:05 AM
Btw, the site I use for invoice info is carquotes.ca. Costs someting like 30 bucks for 3 quotes. There's other sites around the same price.

Here's a sample:

http://www.carquotes.ca/sample.html

Note the dealer markup before options is over 4K on a 25K vehicle.

And it tells you about the rebate: There is currently a $1,450 factory-to-dealer cash rebate. That's yours (or at least split it with the dealer).

Khyron

Mr. Papageorgio
07-05-2003, 03:06 AM

the last sentance is so true:rofl:
Yah it is whenever I log on all I see is Abom, that kid is the biggest post whore Ive ever seen on Beyond and all his posts are pointless:nut:

Abom
07-05-2003, 03:07 AM
Khyron, lol, there's no need to try and convince me ;) It really doesn't matter to me whether you got $2 or $20 000 off, just leave it at that and move on.

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Papageorgio

Yah it is whenever I log on all I see is Abom, that kid is the biggest post whore Ive ever seen on Beyond and all his posts are pointless:nut:

well put. he knows everything dont ya know

Abom
07-05-2003, 03:08 AM

And who might you be? :dunno:

Mr. Papageorgio
07-05-2003, 03:11 AM

well put. he knows everything dont ya know
Jack of all trades, master of none....shit ive posted too much Im outta here the last thing Beyond needs is another post whore

Khyron
07-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Khyron, lol, there's no need to try and convince me ;) It really doesn't matter to me whether you got $2 or $20 000 off, just leave it at that and move on.

I'm aware you can't convince concrete. (Didn't you say you were done? :rofl: )

The links and such were presented for the original poster and anyone else with an open mind. There's hundreds of lurkers to amuse. :thumbsup:

Edit: And I'm really done - for now. Enjoy the free post. :clap:

Khyron

Abom
07-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Jack of all trades, master of none....shit ive posted too much Im outta here the last thing Beyond needs is another post whore

Still don't know who you are? :dunno: And whoever said I knew the most about everything? I surely didn't!

googe
07-05-2003, 03:15 AM

Khyron

cough

And who might you be? :dunno:

:thumbsup:

Abom
07-05-2003, 03:17 AM
lol, I didn't post to argue with Khyron nor try to change his mind, just to tell him, well, I don't care about his $14 000 savings :thumbsup:

T5Bird
07-05-2003, 11:03 AM
We are dealing on a 2002 Taurus right now, it's the last '02 Taurus on the lot and they are hungry to get rid of it. The sticker price is $31,780, right now we are sitting at 22,400. Not saying this is the norm, ie: salesman is a friend of the family, the color isn't a big seller for them, and it is a sport which also isn't a big seller, but the deals are out there if you can find them. But yes I agree lot's of room to deal on domestics right now, but there's never much room on an Import. The GM Cavaliers, Sufires, Grand Ams, etc have tons of room to move on them right now, FYI.

Khyron
07-05-2003, 02:35 PM
That's over 9000 dollars on a 30K car - it must be another one of those illusions. :angel:

Khyron

max_boost
07-07-2003, 12:48 AM
I'm going down to Acura tomorrow to possibly pick up a new car :D I'm going for the no tax deal right away haha

Khyron
07-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Get the invoice cost, and work those mofos! You won't get 10K off, but you might get 3 or 5!

Khyron

lammer
07-07-2003, 01:40 AM
I'm going down to Acura tomorrow to possibly pick up a new car :D I'm going for the no tax deal right away haha

can i have your s2000? :)

max_boost
07-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by lammer

can i have your s2000? :)

No I am not trading it in. And if things go well, expect a thread called "ATTENTION BENCH CAR BUYERS" but it no longer concerns you because you are off the list!!!:thumbsup: :rofl:

lammer
07-07-2003, 01:54 AM

No I am not trading it in. And if things go well, expect a thread called "ATTENTION BENCH CAR BUYERS" but it no longer concerns you because you are off the list!!!:thumbsup: :rofl:

woohoo.
haha
what you getting?

szw
07-07-2003, 01:54 AM
i smell rsx-s

benyl
07-07-2003, 02:00 AM
Some of you need to go down to Stampede Pontiac on 9th ave. and read the price on the windows of the Buick Rendevous.

"Was 38K now 34K." That is 4K off without even haggling.

The domestic carmakers are hurting. SUVs are way overpriced and are dropping quickly.

Go buy a pickup or SUV, and I bet that you can get 4-8 K off the sticker price.

People on pay sticker if there is a shortage, like the when the first Matrix came out, or if the car is rare like an Sti. Otherwise, if you pay sticker, you may as well bend over.

EnRich
07-07-2003, 02:41 PM
The funny thing is she stopped payin attn to you guys long ago in the thread.... haha...

GTS Jeff
07-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Abom: why are u so anti-bargaining? why do u accuse it of being unfair and wrong? is it simply cuz u SUCK at it?

maybe instead of trying to put down bargaining with righteous words like discrimination, u could just learn to not suck at bargaining. instead of being a bitch (and bitching) about the shit u hate, u can learn to deal with it (like a man).

littledan
07-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Abom: why are u so anti-bargaining? why do u accuse it of being unfair and wrong? is it simply cuz u SUCK at it?

maybe instead of trying to put down bargaining with righteous words like discrimination, u could just learn to not suck at bargaining. instead of being a bitch (and bitching) about the shit u hate, u can learn to deal with it (like a man).

ouch!

legendboy
07-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Whoever said keep the prices of the car, payment and trade seperate was bang on. If your leasing or financing the salesman will (should) always try to close you on payment. Is it easier to get $30 more a month or $2000 more on the price of the car? This goes for the trade in as well. If you come in expecting lots of money for your 89 ford tarus the salesmanager will usually add on $25 bux or more to soften the blow. Make sure that you sit with the salesman or salesmanager/business manager and have them work the numbers out right infront of you. It doesn't hurt to know how to work lease and finance payments on your own scientific/financing calculator. That way you can tell when they have added in a grand or two. As a rule import vehicles have alot less markup to dealer line (not invoice, nobody buys at invoice) than the domestics do. Dealers always have a cash back on the vehicle which, if you pay cash the dealer gets back as a cheque. Its usually better to take the financing than the cash back with intrest rates as low as they are & many dealers will over-finance you at low rates and you can pay off creditcards, lines of credit....etc............and I sold cars for years, this is first hand experience.

bighead411
07-08-2003, 02:22 AM
what car a u looking at actually? may be someone can hook u up here for a better deal. jsut a try never bad