PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to court for a $25 parking ticket

GTS Jeff
09-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I got a ticket for parking at an expired meter. The problem is, I put a couple loonies in it and nothing happened, so I said fuckit, and went to do my shit, which took all of 10 minutes. When I came out, I found a $25 ticket.

I already disputed this ticket with the parking administration, but they claimed to have checked into it and the meter was fine, so now it's going to court. I'm going to see the crown prosecutor before the trial. Tips anyone?

Jason Lange
09-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Tips anyone?

Why would I tip you, I didn't get anything out of this?

maplelodge
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I am surprise they didn't throw the case out... seriously for a $25 ticket... I believe the CP and the Judge and other court personnel's time is worth 10x the value of that ticket.

Iqoair
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Yep. Suck it up and pay the $25.

KRyn
09-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I would just pay it as my time is worth more than a few dollars.
Let us know how it goes if you decide to take this to court.

GTS Jeff
09-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by maplelodge
I am surprise they didn't throw the case out... seriously for a $25 ticket... I believe the CP and the Judge and other court personnel's time is worth 10x the value of that ticket.

That's what I'm counting on to get off this ticket.

Originally posted by Iqoair
Yep. Suck it up and pay the $25.

What exactly am I sucking up here? The fact that I'm being penalized for the city's faulty parking meters? Why should I be willing to part with my money because the city is bullying me with tickets and court dates? You're a chump with no principles if you do that.

GTS Jeff
09-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
I would just pay it as my time is worth more than a few dollars.
I wish I could say the same...

Still waiting for a real response though...

MintRacer
09-20-2007, 07:19 PM
If you call the number on the meter and report a fucked up meter u can park there without worry of a ticket as they log all complaints. Just find a meter and jam gum in the hole and call the number.

G-ZUS
09-20-2007, 07:21 PM
u da man

JordanAndrew
09-20-2007, 07:22 PM
I had a parking ticket from a 2 hour parking zone down on 17th ave and 8 st SW and I wasn't even parked there for 40 minutes. The ticket time said it was 9:30am and the 2 hour parking hours started at 9:00am. Some of the city's parking ticket officers need to do their job right, they try and rip you off with a stupid ticket that you shouldn't even get.

I know how it feels to get ripped off GTS jeff, I say if you have the time, go to coart and get it thrown out. Sad to say I don't have time to waste to fight a $40 parking ticket(thats how much mine was) so I just paid it at the bank. :guns: :guns:

JordanAndrew
09-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by MintRacer
If you call the number on the meter and report a fucked up meter u can park there without worry of a ticket as they log all complaints. Just find a meter and jam gum in the hole and call the number.

thanks for the tip!

Iqoair
09-20-2007, 07:25 PM

That's what I'm counting on to get off this ticket.

What exactly am I sucking up here? The fact that I'm being penalized for the city's faulty parking meters? Why should I be willing to part with my money because the city is bullying me with tickets and court dates? You're a chump with no principles if you do that.

Nothing can be proven in this case. I'd be choked too, no doubt about it. You won't see me spending my time and money going to court over $25 bucks.

Kudos to you for fighting it, hope you win. You asked for an opinion, you got it.

Jason04S1
09-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I got a ticket a few days ago at the franklin train station.

I parked in the 4 hour zone, to do so you need to print out a FREE ticket from this little machine. Which i parked RIGHT BESIDE.....

Anyway, the ticket was purchased at 12:33 and expired at 16:33. Well when i get to my vehicle after i had a ticket on my windshield.
The ticket time was 14:22 so right in the time frame i was allowed to park there at. The ticket was issued because when i threw that FREE(can't emphasize this enough) ticket on my dash it fell upside down.

I would understand issueing a ticket to me if i needed to pay for this ticket and if it was downtown. But when the god dam thing is free and the bloody ticket is $30! thats b.s.
So the very next morning i called the number on the back of my ticket they said not a problem just fax in a copy of your ticket with the receipt showing you were parked there legally when the ticket was written up then they will waive it all.

topmade
09-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Jason04S1
I got a ticket a few days ago at the franklin train station.

I parked in the 4 hour zone, to do so you need to print out a FREE ticket from this little machine. Which i parked RIGHT BESIDE.....

Anyway, the ticket was purchased at 12:33 and expired at 16:33. Well when i get to my vehicle after i had a ticket on my windshield.
The ticket time was 14:22 so right in the time frame i was allowed to park there at. The ticket was issued because when i threw that FREE(can't emphasize this enough) ticket on my dash it fell upside down.

I would understand issueing a ticket to me if i needed to pay for this ticket and if it was downtown. But when the god dam thing is free and the bloody ticket is $30! thats b.s.
So the very next morning i called the number on the back of my ticket they said not a problem just fax in a copy of your ticket with the receipt showing you were parked there legally when the ticket was written up then they will waive it all.
He didn't park in a lot, it was at a meter.

The problem with your argument eventhough it is true, is that it's probably used by many people who try to fight these types of tickets. The only thing I can really think of is to try to find some documented information on the type of meter. Perhaps it's a common issue. Or maybe go to the meter and get a camera and record the money going in and nothing showing on the meter?

This happened to me once and I just paid the ticket, but I know how you feel cause I was pretty pissed at it. After that whenever I've parked at a meter that did that or displays out of order, I just move to another meter because I didn't want to risk another ticket eventhough the meter ate my money.

TomcoPDR
09-20-2007, 07:30 PM

+1 I've done that before too.

GTS Jeff
09-20-2007, 07:36 PM

I did that. I got like 5 friends to call and report that meter as busted. Didn't work, as I am now finding out.

Hakkola
09-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Jeff, you need representation. I'll do it for $25. ;)

85regal
09-20-2007, 08:38 PM
umm..some people get paid more then 25 an hour...big waste of time...is it really worth it?? maybe time for a better paying job?

Hakkola
09-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by 85regal
umm..some people get paid more then 25 an hour...big waste of time...is it really worth it?? maybe time for a better paying job?

He has money, that's not the problem.

GTS Jeff
09-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by 85regal
umm..some people get paid more then 25 an hour...big waste of time...is it really worth it?? maybe time for a better paying job? I am unemployed. I probably lose about $25/hour right now, with tuition, living expenses, and loans considered. I can take a break from that to keep another $25 from disappearing. :)

GTS Jeff
09-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Jeff, you need representation. I'll do it for $25. ;) Will you take $20?

alloroc
09-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I have been thinking about this.

You need a team.

Yes a team, a large team of representation.

The more time you burn in the courts the more they will see their folly.

Of course the real trial will go like this...

Judge: How do you plea.
Hakkola: My client pleads not guilty your Honor
Judge: let me see the ticket.
Judge: Bang! guilty, don't let me see you in my court again.

30 seconds (More if Hakkola shows up with crutches to slow his trip to the Judge with the ticket)

arian_ma
09-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Ah dude that is BS, I hope they drop the case, it sucks a lot having to put in so much time and effort only to get a "Oh sorry, can't do anything..."
:thumbsdow

broken_legs
09-20-2007, 10:00 PM

I was putting money into a meter the other week and the loonie got stuck in the slot

I tried shaking the meter, then I tried kicking it a few times

The loonie never budged, but kicking it made the Meter flash that message saying it out of order pretty fast.

GTS Jeff
09-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

I was putting money into a meter the other week and the loonie got stuck in the slot

I tried shaking the meter, then I tried kicking it a few times

The loonie never budged, but kicking it made the Meter flash that message saying it out of order pretty fast. I am doing this next time this happens.

Actually, maybe I'll pay the ticket, then break a few meters to park for free to make up for the $25. It'll cost the city much more to repair the broken meters, but that's what they get for being douchebags and ticketing me. I can mete out karma!!

HuMz
09-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Good luck and I agree its the principle not the money. I had my car towed (100$ impound fee) and a $50 parking ticket to go along with it after a officer told me to park in a specific spot re-assuring me it was legal and safe to park there.

Its too bad more people aren't willing or don't have the time to fight alot of these bullshit tickets.

01RedDX
09-20-2007, 11:21 PM

googe
09-21-2007, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Iqoair

Kudos to you for fighting it, hope you win. You asked for an opinion, you got it.

no he didnt, shut up

Toms-SC
09-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Just do like the bums and rip the top of the metes off and steal all the coins. You can pretend your a pirate opening a treasure chest! 'yarrr here lies the booty of the city of edmonton yaar'

85regal
09-21-2007, 12:36 PM
this is not a bullshit ticket...parking bitch was just doing his job, expired meter=ticket..i'm sure he didn't know it rejected your money...but you might as well try and fight it if you got the time..what the hell is with people bitching about bullshit tickets..99% of the time they are not bullshit..people with tinted windows, loud exhaust, speeding, illegal turns blah blah blah...they are legit tickets...

GREENBOY
09-22-2007, 10:32 AM
All you do when the meter isn't working is park there anyway, ring the number on it and report it. They ask you for the meter number and they make sure you won't get a ticket for parking there - they also give you the maximum stay allowed there for free. That's what I always do and it only ever takes a couple of minutes.

boi-alien
09-22-2007, 10:40 AM
shitty deal jeff, go fight it, it's the principle of the thing. the meter is probably repaired by now so I doubt going back to check would work. since the monetary value of the ticket is so low, it might just get thrown out by the time you get it to court.

max_boost
09-22-2007, 10:49 AM
If I had more time I would raise hell too. I got a parking ticket for $40 for parking outside of my own fucking house because I forgot to put up the parking pass. WTF! I called and told them I had proof of registration to this house etc. and all they said was tough luck. LOL Bastards!!!:guns:

Dayclone
09-22-2007, 12:13 PM
I got a ticket for parking at an expired meter. The problem is, I put a couple loonies in it and nothing happened, so I said fuckit, and went to do my shit, which took all of 10 minutes. When I came out, I found a $25 ticket.

I already disputed this ticket with the parking administration, but they claimed to have checked into it and the meter was fine, so now it's going to court. I'm going to see the crown prosecutor before the trial. Tips anyone?

If your going to court, either way you'll be dismissed without having to pay... or maybe end up paying the $25...

Don't worry I have a parking ticket for $40... in an unauthorized private property... AND WHICH I HAD A PARKING PASS!!! like wtF??

Maybe the stupid wanna-be cop only saw my Stampede parking pass too and thought I was going to Keith Urban haha.... yeh simple I have 2 parking passes... which are both displayed properly.