PDA

View Full Version : *WARNING* Fraud? Does this make sense?

inline6turbo
09-20-2007, 10:49 PM
A friend of mine found this today and forwarded it on to me.
There is a company down in the states with MY car listed for sale by them... in illinois!
They apparently saw an ad I had made of my car, copied the pictures and copy and pasted my description of it, and are trying to sell it? What are they doing? Trying to scam people? How does this even work!

Here is their ad of my car
http://www.modifiedcartrader.com/findVehicle/listingDetail.asp?directID=10573&userZip=&numLat=&numLong=&txt=1991_Nissan_Skyline_GT-R_FOR_SALE

Here is mine
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182990

So I called them!

"Hi I'm calling regarding that GTR, the 91? Has what appears to be pink flowers in window... can you tell me more about it?"

Here's the gist of what he said:
- The car is owned by them, the company, and is located in Toronto (when you can see in my ad says Alberta).
- Car is 27k US :eek: ( I wish)
- He would email me a form which I would have to sign and get notarized (not familar with the meaning of this)
- To legalize the car in the states they take the chassis number and add zeros to the end because there aren't enough digits (is this guy for real???)

There's more but I was in such a red furry I couldn't contain myself and didn't retain much but after about 10 minutes of complete BS from this SOB I finally was like... "so... how long approximately would it take for this car to be delivered to me?" he said "oh about blah blah weeks after all the paperwork and money is transfered" and I responeded "now see that's funny, because I could swear that I'm looking at it right now, sitting outside my house... in Calgary, now how is that possible" his genius answer "uhh...uhh...duhh..ehh" and then I blew up with the whole "what in the hell are you trying to pull here asshole that's my car there you have posted". Phone call ended with him saying something about taking off the site tomorrow or some BS...

What do you guys think of this craziness!

Renee

97'Scort
09-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Hahaha what a load of BS. Americans these days. Just a horrible black space void of intelligence sitting on a map.

Good on ya for giving him hell. Must have felt good!

Destinova403
09-20-2007, 10:54 PM
um... call the police... thats what id do if i saw my car there... its a serious crime for this kind of fraud.

inline6turbo
09-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Yea I already called them, talked to a officer for about 25 mins, she had a good laugh, thought it was pretty original, gave me the number for the fraud department, but theyre closed now. I'll call them tomorrow and update.

Destinova403
09-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
Yea I already called them, talked to a officer for about 25 mins, she had a good laugh, thought it was pretty original, gave me the number for the fraud department, but theyre closed now. I'll call them tomorrow and update.

good move... lucky you caught them... you should ask 27k for yours... see if some dumb americans buy it... offer to deliver it to them LOL.

infected
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
That is some wacky ass shit. Good catch though. :eek:

nismodrifter
09-20-2007, 11:35 PM
In the past year I've had one case involving use of my photos, and a second situation exactly like yours.

One incident involved my photos being used to sell someone elses car in the Bargainfinder (online). This was resolved quickly and friendly. No real fraud going on, they just needed a pic of a black Jetta. I think they found a pic of my car using Google and posted it up. They were selling a stock Jetta......while mine was slammed on 19's haha. They explained that mine "looked sporty" lol. I just told them that what they were doing is wrong (blah blah using my picture etc). They changed the picture 2 days later after they borrowed someones digital camera.

The second incident was exactly like what is happening with your car. My car was posted "for sale" on Autotrader.com with photos and everything (all mine of course).

Since I'm overseas and busy as hell I didn't really bother contacting anybody about it. I did exactly what you did. Phoned the person, talked to them for a good half hour about the car, then when the time was right I pwned the shit out of them. I also posted the "sellers" phone number on a bunch of large forums that I frequent...24/7 phone calls = pwnt. The ad was removed within 12 hours. The phone calls however continued on for a good week or so :D.

When I really think about it I consider it a complement to see my car being used for fraud purposes hahha.

xLostx
09-21-2007, 12:01 AM
27K, that's a deal! I'm buying it from them!

Zero102
09-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Wait, nobody asked the important question, do they take nigerian money orders?

4doorj
09-21-2007, 08:25 AM
woah...
thats crazy!!!
good job on making them look stupid!:thumbsup:

Super_Geo
09-21-2007, 08:37 AM
I think they're trying to sell your car legitimately (in their eyes, maybe).

You're trying to sell yours for $15K, right? Well if he finds a buyer for $27K, then he would get the $27K from the other buyer, and then buy yours off of you for $15K and pocket the $12K difference.

It would seem more like a scam if he was trying to sell your car for less than your asking price... but it seems like he's just trying to middle man a sale here.

urban.one
09-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Thats what theyre doing.

The only thing theyd be guilty of is unauthorized use of your photos but even that would be a stretch to prove who owns the photos (did you take them or did trader or someone else and did you have any disclaimers.)

Originally posted by Super_Geo

You're trying to sell yours for $15K, right? Well if he finds a buyer for $27K, then he would get the $27K from the other buyer, and then buy yours off of you for $15K and pocket the $12K difference.

It would seem more like a scam if he was trying to sell your car for less than your asking price... but it seems like he's just trying to middle man a sale here.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-21-2007, 09:11 AM
That's kind of iffy. What if the took the 27k (cause he actually somehow managed to sell it.) and then tried to buy it off her, but she had sold it? He'd have to go to the buyer and say something like "I'm sorry but I can't sell it to you anymore even though I already took your money."? Stupid scammers... Any updates with the fraud dept? Maybe everyone should call the place up expressing "interest"

Toms-SC
09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
http://modifiedcartrader.com/Information/ContactUs.asp

Report Fraud

inline6turbo
09-21-2007, 09:23 AM

This is what the officer and I were discussing trying to figure out. My car isn't legal in the states. So if this was the case he would never be able to deliver the car. So if he just had to return the money "because oopps it can't get in" what's the point.

mark4091
09-21-2007, 09:31 AM

:werd: you never know how many times he could have actually done this too, I mean, there is a ton of kids wanting skyline's ect and if they have a rich daddy they're willing to pay a ridiculous amount.

vud tuner
09-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey my name is Fino.....

I found this ad on modified car trader.com

Inline6turbo is a good friend on mine i had to tell her

inline6turbo
09-21-2007, 02:19 PM
yea thanks babe, pretty crazy stuff you found there.

Shane1
09-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I just sent him a cash offer for $25,000!

"The seller has been sent a message indicating your offer. He/She will be able to respond to your offer at any time.

Please note that offers made via this system are not legally binding. This means that there is no legal obligation on either party to fulfill any promises or abide by any agreement initiated using this system.
Click here for more details."

let's see what the a$$hat comes back with.

I hope you nail this clown!!! That's total BS.

I've been almost duped too by various ebay scams selling peoples cars for dirt cheap. I hope all these F^&kers burn in hell!

Toms-SC
09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
In for results

Canadian 2.5RS
09-21-2007, 03:20 PM
get screen caps of all of this so you can nail his ass to the wall.

HondaRice
09-21-2007, 03:49 PM
cool supra in the background can you tell me about it?

inline6turbo
10-03-2007, 12:34 AM
**UPDATE**

Check out this months Import Tuner magazine, page 91. You'll find my car top right, for sale again. By the same online company.
I am now:
a) going to the police with the website ad as well as my ad and this magazine.
b) calling the magazines editor in chief to let him know about this sites activites
c) liking the fact my car's in a magazine for the first time lol, even if it's just a for sale ad haha.

cityhunter2501
10-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
**UPDATE**

Check out this months Import Tuner magazine, page 91. You'll find my car top right, for sale again. By the same online company.
I am now:
a) going to the police with the website ad as well as my ad and this magazine.
b) calling the magazines editor in chief to let him know about this sites activites
c) liking the fact my car's in a magazine for the first time lol, even if it's just a for sale ad haha.

wow I was hoping it would have resolved nicely by now.

the guy must have submitted the sale to Import Turner sometimes in September, way before you found out.

at least your car is featured in a magazine :rofl:

Sorath
10-03-2007, 01:26 AM
have u ever thought that they might just use the car for pics and they found the pics on the net cause they dont have a camera?

ex1z7
10-03-2007, 01:38 AM
This Skyline GT-R is located in Alberta and is currently registered and ready for it’s new owner. Mods Include: Tein Super Street Coilover Suspension, Greddy Profec-B II Boost Controller, A’PEXi Downpipe, Megan Racing Test Pipe, HKS Front Mount Intercooler, Nismo Front Bumper, Bellof 8000k HIDs and Aftermarket Exhaust. Price includes: The Car, Shipping from Canada to US, Legalization/Federalization Fees, and Shipping to your doorstep or place of business. Serious Inquires Only...

South Holland IL, USA.

So, seller is located in IL, car is located in Alberta as per ad, car is ACTUALLY located in Alberta but not for sale on Modified by the real owner.. Uhhh

Weird.

i've seen those ad's in import tuner etc., the best so far was when they did the feature on that green/silver/multi coloured 240sx drift machine, with the low-rider truck type crazy paint scheme / half camo.. I flipped 6 pages over and saw the same car in the modified autotrader.. Knew that place was a scam at that second.

Hope you get this all resolved.

funkedelic
10-03-2007, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
have u ever thought that they might just use the car for pics and they found the pics on the net cause they dont have a camera?

they have money to put ads in magazines, but no money to buy a camera?

Toms-SC
10-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Sorath

Such a lame excuse

Toms-SC
10-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Renee,

They still have not taken it down off their site. I'd call back pretty quick like and give them a blast.