PDA

View Full Version : Same road, different speed limit for each direction?

FiveFreshFish
07-05-2003, 01:03 AM
For those of you familiar with the NW, why is Country Hills Blvd 70 km/h westbound and 80 km/h eastbound? :dunno:

This affects the stretch between Shaganappi Tr and 14 St NW.

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2003, 01:05 AM
good question, i drive that road 2-4 times a day and i often wonder the same question.

i always wonder how they can do that,

Team_Mclaren
07-05-2003, 01:36 AM
wow, i drive down there all the time but never realize this!!!

redline_13000
07-05-2003, 01:47 AM
maybe its a tighter(faster) turn?

nismodrifter
07-05-2003, 01:47 AM
I believe its the same thing on James Mckevitt Road in the SW too....drops down to 50kmh on one side while the other side is still at 60

cops always hide out on the side that drops to 50kmh to bust people who think its still 60kmh

on that side, speed goes from 60 to 50 then to 60 again

rice_eater
07-05-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
wow, i drive down there all the time but never realize this!!!

yeah...that's news for me too

FiveFreshFish
07-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by redline_13000
maybe its a tighter(faster) turn?

The curve in the map above is very, very gradual. Not much difference between the lanes two directions.

The eastbound lanes (80 km/h) are slighly downhill. That's about the only diff I can see. :dunno:

Abom
07-05-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
yeah...that's news for me too

:werd:

The_1
07-05-2003, 02:19 AM
i always wanted to know that too

BigMass
07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
because city planners and the idiots at city hall don't have 20 IQ to share amongst themselves?

benyl
07-05-2003, 12:59 PM
could have to do with visibility.

When going west bound, you are going up a hill that crests just before the traffic light. If you are going faster, you need more time to see it and react. You may not see stopped cars until you crest the hill.

The other direction, you can see the traffic light for miles and you can also see the cars waiting for the light.

I do however agree the city planners are smoking some shitty drugs...

I still can get over the Richmond Road - Sarcee Trail interchange at Westhills. WTF were they snorting?!?!??! :dunno:

Dope Dealer
07-05-2003, 01:10 PM
As soon as I saw the thread title, I immediatly thought of Country Hills :)

air_mikey
07-06-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by The_1
i always wanted to know that too :werd:

kaput
07-06-2003, 12:34 PM

benyl
07-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Don't get me started on the F'up that is Brentwood-Dalhousie on Crowchild. Man, you think simple cloverleaf interchanges, that seem to work in every other part of the world, would work there... or simple on off ramps.

They have tunnels, overpasses, places you can and can't exit... it is so dumb! I wonder what engineering school all these guys graduated from. I would tell them to get their money back.

Dope Dealer
07-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Don't get me started on the F'up that is Brentwood-Dalhousie on Crowchild. Man, you think simple cloverleaf interchanges, that seem to work in every other part of the world, would work there... or simple on off ramps.

They have tunnels, overpasses, places you can and can't exit... it is so dumb! I wonder what engineering school all these guys graduated from. I would tell them to get their money back.

:werd:

So true. Hahaah :) That place is a disaster.

szw
07-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Pretty confusing if you dont know for sure where to go. But once you get the hang of it...its not bad, especially since the roads are so nice right now.

I especially love the 'tunnel' from WB crowchild that leads to northland dr....always fun!