PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold and throttle body question

AJS.Si
09-22-2007, 05:38 PM
This might sound kind of noobish but here goes anyway...I was wondering what kind of benefits i would recieve from installing a skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body on a b18c5? Also I need to know how to get the most power from this motor by staying N/A? Any info would be appreciated. thx

ottamania
09-22-2007, 08:20 PM
i put skunk2 intake manifold on my car. the stock ones they have 90 deg. angle on them but the skunk 2 int. manifold is almost straight. so that helps the air flow better which will give more power. ever since i installed that. engine became more responsive. i didnt go with the throttle body . but my body went with it. check out his thread. i am sure you will find more info there. he bought a racing car(eg6) and build a b18c5 with high comp pistons.
http://www.lowmotion.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=116083

cheers.

jdmXSI
09-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I could be completly wrong with this.I was told this by a very reputable guy, Dosen't Skunk model thier parts off the ITR?:dunno:

teggypimp95
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah the skunk2 parts are exact to the ITR and the CTR parts. So the skunk manifold should be the same one you already got...pretty sure.
For best performance out of your engine, i would say do throttle body, a nice header and full exhaust, intake. Doing a hondata and a tune last will help unleash everything your engine has to offer.

1-Bar
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
^^x2 skunk2 IM = ITR intake mani

ekguy
09-24-2007, 12:55 PM
individual throttle bodies FTMFW

1-Bar
09-24-2007, 12:58 PM
^not in calgary, FTMFL...:rofl:

IntegraG2
09-24-2007, 01:17 PM
well you could go with a jg victor x manifold if you really want more airflow....i think the ITR manifold flows good enough already. Just get a better throttle body and and get a hondata tune....

Victor X manifold link
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/edelbrock/victorxmanifold.html

ekguy
09-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
^not in calgary, FTMFL...:rofl:

care to elaborate??? does it have to do with our altitude?? i'm from sea level so I mean we can do whatever we want out there I guess...

teggypimp95
09-24-2007, 03:15 PM
IM guessing becuase it is so dusty dirty here you would be cleaning those little filter balls every day lol. And the winter may not be the best on them either.

ekguy
09-24-2007, 03:16 PM
oh...well i thought maybe other reasons...how exactly do individual throttle bodies work anyways...do the injectors spray directly into the open ITB's???

gpomp
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
what's your budget? full-race and endyn make some nice intake manifolds.

http://www.theoldone.com/components/Endyn_Fabed_Manifolds/WBSFabLP2.jpg

teggypimp95
09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
I Would not spend alot on an intake manifold if any. The ITR one is already really good for your engine. I put a CTR manifold on my sir and only noticed a small difference. If you do happy to buy a new one or something, replace the factory gasket with a nice thick plastic hondata gasket. It will help reduce the tempreture of the intake manifold.

teggypimp95
09-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
oh...well i thought maybe other reasons...how exactly do individual throttle bodies work anyways...do the injectors spray directly into the open ITB's???

No the injectors still spray in the pistons, but instead of you having 1 intaking supplying air for 4 cyclinders, you now have an intake for each. So they supply alot of air for your engine and sound nice and loud. But i hear they can be finicky as hell.

QuasarCav
09-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

No the injectors still spray in the pistons, but instead of you having 1 intaking supplying air for 4 cyclinders, you now have an intake for each. So they supply alot of air for your engine and sound nice and loud. But i hear they can be finicky as hell.

They spray inside the runners just like a regular setup. The gains are on the concept that air will move faster through 4 smaller airways than one big one. They do sound wicked though and I hear they are tough to tune.

AJS.Si
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
wow thx for all the feedback it is very helpful. Im just not satisfied with my 1/4 mile times and want to improve... i do have a stage 1 clutch already...how about some greddy cams

Originally posted by gpomp
what's your budget? full-race and endyn make some nice intake manifolds.http://www.theoldone.com/components/Endyn_Fabed_Manifolds/WBSFabLP2.jpg No budget really but somewhat reasonable its only a civic,lol, so how much is this and would it fit my stock throttle body or should i leave the manifold and do the t-body?

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-24-2007, 07:09 PM
What are your 1/4 mile times? You can't just expect to hop into a car, and get the numbers everyone else is. It's a lot of factors, including driver skill. I'm sure your a fantastic driver, but whats your R/T like? Shifting? etc...

With the ITR motor, there's not much you can do aside from I/H/E and expect any large gains N/A. If your still not happy, then you probably should look into F/I. Unless you completely build the motor. Just my opinion.

AJS.Si
09-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
What are your 1/4 mile times? You can't just expect to hop into a car, and get the numbers everyone else is. It's a lot of factors, including driver skill. I'm sure your a fantastic driver, but whats your R/T like? Shifting? etc...

With the ITR motor, there's not much you can do aside from I/H/E and expect any large gains N/A. If your still not happy, then you probably should look into F/I. Unless you completely build the motor. Just my opinion. R/T's were .056, .103, and .529 and the times were in the 16's, but that aside and with all the info taken in i think i will cave in and go with a S/C as its daily driven besides in winter, thx

gpomp
09-25-2007, 06:08 PM
r/t has nothing to do with your driving skill. what were your 60's?

AJS.Si
09-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
r/t has nothing to do with your driving skill. what were your 60's? 2.513, 2.715, 2.512

1-Bar
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

care to elaborate??? does it have to do with our altitude?? i'm from sea level so I mean we can do whatever we want out there I guess...

Yes, its the altitude. Not much pressure vs. sea level. Gains are minimal, but an ITB setup sounds so nice! I've seen a K20 with ITBs and one without, they ran pretty close on their dynos considering the $$$ and bling difference. Additionally, as previously mentioned, they are hard to tune....