PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice: Grad school?

Manhattan
09-23-2007, 02:40 AM
So I graduated with an undergrad degree in economics a lil over a year now. Been entry level at a big corp downtown bustin my ass for not a whole lot of $. I am now considering either law school or biz school because of this.

I think biz school typically requires at least 3 years of work experience...and law school u can get into right after u graduate. I think I'm going to get an advanced degree sooner or later, so would now be a good time? Anyone have any experience or advice they can lend? Difficulty of law/biz school compared to undergrad, time and money, and just overall experience of it.

Appreciate it!

davidI
09-23-2007, 08:30 AM
When you say 'biz school' are you talking MBA or a BComm?

I personally think an MBA is a lot more practical for people who have been working for 5-10 years but I also know people who went straight into grad school after their undergrad. I also haven't seen much difference in the starting positions / salaries for people who have their MBA from people who have only a BComm.

If you're going for a law degree, you better know what you're going to do with it. Practicing law isn't all that fun and although certain lawyers do make a lot of coin, the majority work stupid long hours for a decent salary that can be had without that extra 3 years of schooling. I briefly worked for a personal injury firm and currently work as a contracts analyst within a legal department for an oil company, and I must say neither jobs are all that enjoyable. I'm only doing what I'm doing for the overseas experience, travel opportunities and coin. There is no way in hell I'm going to spend my life reading clauses and pushing paper.

I'd say the first choice you need to make is what sort of career you'd like to have, or at least what industry you'd like to work in. From there, you can either seek out an entry-level job and work your way up, or find a school with post-grad studies in your chosen field.

It seems like a lot of people go straight into grad school because they haven't decided what they want to do. What I don't understand is how that will get them anywhere closer to knowing what they enjoy?? I think the 3 years would be better spent working in a few different industries and getting a feel for what options are out there. Once you know what you want to do, it's a lot easier to make a plan to get yourself there.

Just my .02.

pinoyhero
09-23-2007, 09:22 AM
^ Well said, I'd suggest changing compaines or industires before jumping into another degree. In this city after a few years you should be seeing some salary progress or looking elsewhere.