PDA

View Full Version : Where to get an emissions test done

big_k
09-23-2007, 02:19 PM
does anyone know if there is anywhere in calgary here to get an emissions test done on their car??

ercchry
09-23-2007, 02:29 PM
whats the point? we dont have emissions here

big_k
09-23-2007, 03:04 PM
thanks tips

my buddy is from ontario and wants to keep his insurance there since it is cheaper, and he needs a test done if possible, so if anyone with any actual imput knows, that would be great,

thanks

TomcoPDR
09-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Don't think there're any places in Alberta that does that.

ercchry
09-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by big_k
thanks tips

my buddy is from ontario and wants to keep his insurance there since it is cheaper, and he needs a test done if possible, so if anyone with any actual imput knows, that would be great,

thanks

well bud the point i was making was we dont have emissions so why the hell would we have a place to get an ontario emissions test done?

plus i hope his cheap ass gets in an accident when he is out here and they dont cover him because he have been out of province for too long :rolleyes:

Supa Dexta
09-23-2007, 03:20 PM
it's not legal to keep his insurance there, 30 days to transfer it after moving.. If there is a collision and they can prove you've been living here, they can deny coverage.. either way you'll have a hard time finding anyone, since it's not needed I doubt theres a market for such a thing...

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Why would a province that doesn't need emissions testing, test for emissions? Maybe he shouldn't be a cheap bastard and switch his insurance. Either that or drive back to Ontario. Last thing I want is him to hit me, and have his insurance company deny him coverage, so I have to take him to small claims. Be responsible and don't circumvent the rules.

the_game22
09-23-2007, 04:37 PM
He has 90 days to switch to alberta plates, unless he is a full time student. Then it is legal for him to keep his Ont plates. But sorry I don't know of anywhere to get emissions test done.

Supa Dexta
09-23-2007, 04:57 PM
where is the 90 day from? The gov't? Cause I know it was 30 days set from my insurance before it was void..

TE4MFaint
09-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Then how the hell do I see so many damn saskatchewan plates here running around in Medicine Hat?

I'm pretty sure as long as you have a valid home address in the province you have your plate on, you can keep the plate on?

My co-worker has been in Medicine Hat for over a year. Still has sask plate.
My ex boss from my previous place of employment, had sask plates on. Has been living in Alberta for more than 5 years.

:dunno:

Tik-Tok
09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint

I'm pretty sure as long as you have a valid home address in the province you have your plate on, you can keep the plate on?

It's illegal, plain and simple. (edit: unless you're a accepted student at an Alberta post secondary)

To the O.P., your friend can't do that (thank god), as all emmisions tests are done at specific qualifed Ontario Goverment approved facilities, and I'm pretty sure they haven't approved anyone in Alberta, :rofl:

tentacles
09-23-2007, 05:29 PM
His insurance in Ontario is cheaper? :nut:

A790
09-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
His insurance in Ontario is cheaper? :nut:

No kidding. Everyones rambling on about the legalities of insurance, and I'm wondering how in the hell that came to pass.

I'm a full time university student in ON, and all my stuff is AB.

the_game22
09-24-2007, 03:20 AM
If you end up in an accident, and SGI Thinks that you are living in alberta, the first thing they will do is run your social insurance number to see where you are working. They may or may not deny your claim.
I ran on my Sask plates for over a year when I moved to the Hat. My brother works for SGI and he is the one who told me this. But get your buddy to price out Alberta insurance, I actually ended up with cheaper insurance in alberta than I had with SGI. I would think Ontario would be more expensive.

And yes I believe that 90 days comes from Gov't not insurance.

ekguy
09-24-2007, 10:56 AM
i was told 90 days as well...but insurance here seems to be cheaper than back east i have a horrible record from when i was 18 and my insurance still dropped over 2000$ a year by moving out here. and since more people live out here they seem to be more understanding. out in NB they look at my record from 6 years ago and then charge me like 3500$ a year for a car worth a bit more than that. here 1500$ is the most i've paid. you might want to tell your friend to look into it. and the only way he can stay insured in ontario is by being a student any other way will be either illegal or in such a grey area that his insurance may or may not honor a claim.

big_k
09-24-2007, 11:37 AM
he knows that technically his insurance has to be in alberta, but it is cheaper for him in ontario, he priced it out here, and he can save around 400 a year in ontario, we both assumed there would be no where to get an emissions test done here, but at the same time, it does not hurt to ask, so i don't care whether its legal or not, was just finding out for sure if there is anywhere here that does the test

diggity
09-24-2007, 11:09 PM
He could potentially get into a collision and have his claim refused which will lead to major problems to save a whopping $30 a month?

Good thinking.

Annoyingrob
09-25-2007, 02:38 PM
he knows that technically his insurance has to be in alberta, but it is cheaper for him in ontario, he priced it out here, and he can save around 400 a year in ontario, we both assumed there would be no where to get an emissions test done here, but at the same time, it does not hurt to ask, so i don't care whether its legal or not, was just finding out for sure if there is anywhere here that does the test
You two are fucking idiots if you think $400 a year is worth that.

T-Dubbs
09-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

You two are fucking idiots if you think $400 a year is worth that.
ditto

big_k
09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
did i ask for anyones fuckin opion about whether it is worth it or anything else for that matter, no, simple question, is there a place here that may have the ability to do one by chance, simple yes or no answer.

close this thread please

T-Dubbs
09-25-2007, 07:54 PM
did i ask for anyones fuckin opion about whether it is worth it or anything else for that matter, no, simple question, is there a place here that may have the ability to do one by chance, simple yes or no answer.

close this thread please
well since we dont have that law. we would have no use for a shop that does it........