PDA

View Full Version : Homes by AVI

dmtx
09-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Has anyone built a house with AVI? Especially the one from Panorama. Just wondering if they are a good builder.... just trying to get some feedback.... some builders out there are just terrible and just wondering if AVI is any good....

Trate
09-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Two-three years back my parents built with them in Tuscany. Can't say they enjoyed the experience. The original Rep/Salesman was a sleezeball who promised everything and then came back a few days later (after we contacted him, not the other way around) and said it couldn't be done. Examples would be the lots on which the house could be built as well as various options. Brought the wrong Architect/Engineer approved blueprints to a meeting; promised completion dates that were never met. Granted this was during the housing boom and talented tradespeople were in short supply.

In the end, the house had a few problems

1) Leaking Garage, and again at the back (front was covered under new home warranty, back wasn't because it was discovered later after some improvements were being put in, which then voided any claim since clearly the two weren't related and we caused it...)
2) Rooms weren't built to blueprint specs. Two rooms were supposed to be identical, yet one turned out two feet longer, and the other two feet shorter
3) Sill like ledge was built in one room, but not others
4) Electrical circuit board is done to spec - however no slack was put into the system. Ie. They could have added a few more breakers, but chose not to.
5) The basement tub was chipped, and the drain not put in right

Greatest complaints came with the interior design and the headaches associated there. The people working in the selection centre were crap.

All in all, AVI isn't terrible (the sleezeball was shipped off to Rocky Ridge and a decent guy came in), they have some good employees (especially the area foreman's assistant - man's efforts were nothing short of spectacular), but they have their share of bad ones.

If you want a basic house without anything fancy, you'll do fine by AVI. If you want anything customized or a change to blueprints, make sure you stay on top of them. Having someone with knowledge of the trades is a bonus (to check on the building as it is being done). I'd like to reiterate that the foreman's assistant was the major factor in making the process okay. Without him, I would likely be raving about how shitty AVI is.

dropdat
09-24-2007, 12:34 AM
I've contracted through almost all the home builders over the years, avi isn't the best but isnt the worst either. Jayman is the worst by far and has the worst quality homes. If you're looking for a good home builder look at who won awards this year/last year. Morrison is probably calgary's best big builder.

4wslude
09-24-2007, 12:42 AM
I built with cardel pretty good experience good sales rep good construction supervisor and good warranty technician.

common problems that youll find with most builders are delays in possesion of your home and a few mistakes/little damages in your home(but they take care of all these, eventually)

turbotrip
09-24-2007, 01:38 AM
are u looking at building on Panora Close? i think my brother has a house there but the road is impossible to find, so im not exactly sure yet.

pinoyhero
09-24-2007, 06:05 AM
I built with Avi in the west end 2 years back. I found that given the circumstances with this market and construction in general that they were pretty good. Quality was good, service was top notch IMO, I was never ignored. I would build with them again, but to reitterate a post above I would give morison a good look as well.

Mitsu3000gt
09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
One of our rental properties is an AVI house in Lake Chapparral. Absolutely no problems and they were a pleasure do deal with. I would recommend them for sure.

dmtx
09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by dropdat
I've contracted through almost all the home builders over the years, avi isn't the best but isnt the worst either. Jayman is the worst by far and has the worst quality homes. If you're looking for a good home builder look at who won awards this year/last year. Morrison is probably calgary's best big builder.

You're one of the few who said Jayman is not good.... Their prices are on the high side so I though their quality is good....

Anyone here from Ranchlands/Ranch Ridge? I like that neighborhood better than Panorama but they have no lots plus to build the same house would probably cost extra 100K....

rc2002
09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by dmtx

You're one of the few who said Jayman is not good.... Their prices are on the high side so I though their quality is good....

Actually that's a pretty popular opinion. I've heard a lot of stories about Jayman (a lot of them from people who work for Jayman) - enough that I won't consider building with them.

Plus if you ever check out their show homes, dollar for dollar they give you far less than all the other builders.

dmtx
09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
^^ I only heard a few comments about Jayman.... and non of the feedbacks were really an exciting one... probably the best one I heard was "they were just okay"....

JordanLotoski
09-24-2007, 10:15 AM
I have built with morrison homes in the past they are a great builder even though they dont push the envelope to what can be done on a home.

Iam currently building with Vintage homes (Baywest) this is my second home with them and let me tell you they are great. i get exactly what i want the house is super high end.

Good luck