PDA

View Full Version : Review: Bonterra Trattoria

dino_martini
09-23-2007, 08:11 PM
- Bonterra Trattoria
- 1016 8th Street SW
- Phone 403-262-8480
- http://www.bonterra.ca/
- Food rating 4/5 - Olives, bruschetta, veal, dessert were awsome. Soup could have been warmer.
- Ambience 5/5 - tall ceilings, nice clean washroom, awsome patio (will have to try it out in the spring/summer).
- Service 5/5 - Our waitress really added to the experiance.
- Overall 5/5 - Even though the soup wasnt as warm as it could be, it was a really great experiance.

It was sort of a last minute decision to head out for my fathers birthday. I've heard good things about Bonterra, so we went there. Its almost a loft like building, tall ceilings, wood burning fireplace. You could sit up at the bar if your waiting for others in your party.

The menu is simple, they have a section for olives, antipastie, pasta/risotto, then fish/lamb/beef. The wine/cocktail list is extensive.

The olives and bruschetta we ordered were awsome. When they come out with the olives, they give you a big piece of foccacia hot from the oven with some olive oil to dip. The minestrone soup could have been warmer. The Veal Parmigana was great. For dessert we had strawberrys with mascarpone cheese. Im not sure how it works, but the strawberries had a reduction of balsamic vinegar on them, it just worked though. All the food wasnt salty, it was perfectly seasoned. You can tell the chef's really cared about the food.

We'll be going back, its a really great resturant. Everything worked, the service flowed perfectly. The soup could have been warmer, but other then that it was good. With wine and everything it was around $50 per person + tip. They have an awsome looking patio, sort of like a sanctuary in downtown calgary. I'll have to try it out sometime this spring/summer. :thumbsup:

civic_stylez
09-24-2007, 05:27 PM
I absolutely love bonterra, they have the best rigatoni ever. With a bottle of spakling wine (prosecco/rustico). The inside ambience is really good too. Make reservations for sure though!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kremlin
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Mmmmm I miss Bonterra! I'm gonna be in Calgary this week, I definitely need to stop in.

They're also very good value for the dollar. You can spend a lot more elsewhere for equal food.

Anton
09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Another :thumbsup:

The patio is great there. Food and service are always top knotch.

ercchry
05-09-2012, 02:57 PM
bump, heading here tonight. any regulars have any off the menu items that are a must try to recommend? (just assuming they have off menu items as our normal italian place does)

dennisaur
05-09-2012, 03:16 PM
I love this place, I find that you can't really go wrong with anything there. We always end up eating all the little twig breadsticks on the table and grabbing some more haha:thumbsup:

403ep3
05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Great, I work beside this place and was curious . I will be sure to try it.

Neil4Speed
05-09-2012, 04:34 PM
I loved the service and the ambiance, but my food was not good. I think I must have had a bad experience as everyone I know speaks very highly of this place.