PDA

View Full Version : Porsche cuts Canadian pricing

Altezza
09-25-2007, 02:29 PM
TORONTO - Porsche, facing an uprising among its well-heeled and well-informed clientele, said Tuesday it is lowering Canadian prices on 2008 models by an average of about eight per cent.

"We cannot ignore our customers and dealers in Canada who can look to the U.S. and recognize a substantial price difference," stated Peter Schwarzenbauer, president of Porsche Cars North America Inc.

Including improvements in equipment, he said, the typical price decrease amounts to 10 per cent.

"We listened to the market and did what is best for our customers in Canada."

Amid outraged tales of prices being higher in Canada than in the U.S. by 30 per cent or more as the Canadian dollar approached parity with the American currency, Porsche said its suggested base retail price for a new Boxster roadster is $58,100, compared with $63,600 for the 2007 model.

A base Cayenne SUV is $55,200, down from $60,100, while a Cayman coupe drops to $63,500 from $69,600 and a 911 Turbo gets marked down to $158,300 from $170,700

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/headline_news/article.jsp?content=b092567A

treg50
09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
About time with the dollar the way it is. TIME TO BUY A PORSCHE!!:thumbsup:

What does "Including improvements in equipment" mean? Just like options and standard equipment? What are the differences between Canadian and U.S. Porsches?

SilverRex
09-25-2007, 02:47 PM
alright, lets hope that just the start for things to come.

eblend
09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Everyone expects the dollar parity to mean lower prices for canadians RIGHT AWAY, what about when you look at the other side of the coin, do you want the prices to be jacked RIGHT AWAY when the dollar goes down (hope it doesn't but people expect too much, always bitch about not getting enough, but never complain when the shit starts flowing the other way)

benyl
09-25-2007, 02:56 PM
interesting...

kenny
09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Should be very interesting if any other car makers start cutting prices agressively. There will be many many unhappy folks trying to sell their used vehicles who will have to make the appropriate price cuts as well.

benyl
09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Everyone expects the dollar parity to mean lower prices for canadians RIGHT AWAY, what about when you look at the other side of the coin, do you want the prices to be jacked RIGHT AWAY when the dollar goes down (hope it doesn't but people expect too much, always bitch about not getting enough, but never complain when the shit starts flowing the other way)

I would agree with you, but retailers are notorious for jacking prices RIGHT AWAY. They are always slow to lower.

Gas prices being a prime example.

benyl
09-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Should be very interesting if any other car makers start cutting prices agressively. There will be many many unhappy folks trying to sell their used vehicles who will have to make the appropriate price cuts as well.

That is why I am of the opinion that the US retailers should raise their prices to offset the loss in value of the US dollar.

Ultimately, previous buyers are the ones getting screwed by a strong dollar and lower prices.

SilverRex
09-25-2007, 03:05 PM

i thought that was what happen when US was worth more than CAD, price was adjusted right away. so now everyone is demanding the reverse happen.

let it show ball, I dun care if my resell value goes down the toilet, I rather not be ripped off buying new. After all, can you imagine if prices were identical to south of the border? wow look ma I can lease a 335i coupe for 499 a month., sweet lemon:D

bmeier
09-25-2007, 05:35 PM
The article isnt complete, prices have been lowered here in canada but the prices in the US have gone up slightly as well so what they are doing this the correct way.

riceeater
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM

whatever man, most suppliers are GREEDY!!! i've been telling my resin supplier for months that it's cheaper by a lot to buy from the states... they just bullshited me... so i started buying from the US... lets see $516 vs $925.... i'm sorry, but for $400, i'll even drive down to the border to pick the shit up i dont give a shit... that's total bullshit that they rape us so much :whipped:

nich148_9
09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Yay! I can almost afford one! Just $158,299 to go...

...ooh! A penny. $158,298.99 to go...

Xtrema
09-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I think 8% off will stop cross border shopping. But Porsche is doing it because they are the only one doing NA Warranty instead of country specific one. Dealers probably lost too much business to the south and ask for price drop.

denbert
09-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by benyl

That is why I am of the opinion that the US retailers should raise their prices to offset the loss in value of the US dollar.

They can't raise their prices in the middle of a possible recession. As well the backlash they would have to raise prices 20-30% would destroy any customer base the ever had.

benyl
09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
recession? Housing slump, yes. Recession? No.

Prices are going to come up regardless. Any imports coming into the US will have to adjust their prices. Especially on low margin items like consumer electronics.

phreezee
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Good to see some car manufacturers taking notice! WTG Porsche!

mekeni
09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
now, if only bmw would do the same....

ScottysZ
09-26-2007, 01:20 PM
8% is alright for a first step but theyll need to drop it a lot more than that to stop border shopping. A Turbo is still $32,000 cheaper down there. Add on the taxes and getting it all set up here and youd still be ahead somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 grand.

kenny
09-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by ScottysZ
8% is alright for a first step but theyre need to drop it a lot more than that to stop border shopping. A Turbo is still $32,000 cheaper down there. Add on the taxes and getting it all set up here and youd still be ahead somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 grand.

With the price increases that may happen at the US dealers, the gap will narrow even more and most cross border Porsche customers will opt to purchase in Canada for convienence.

ScottysZ
09-26-2007, 04:59 PM
With a market as big as the US i cant see them changing the price even anywhere close to the amount they did up here. Id be very surprised if they did more than about a 3%adjustment. Which would still leave a difference of $15,000+. Most of the kinda people buying 911 turbos would probably have a tough time dropping 15 grand for what could be done in a couple of days. You dont get rich by throwing your money away.