PDA

View Full Version : Work computer security access... installing programs etc etc

88CRX
09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Is it common for companies to not allow employees to install ANYTHING on there work computers. All installs have to go through the computer administrator; only programs allowed are bare basic windows computer programs.

No flash player (most webistes don't work), no itunes, no active x, no nothing haha... anyone else?

anarchy
09-25-2007, 04:32 PM
That's how it is and has been for the companies that I've worked for.

ga16i
09-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Yup, and that's how it should be. Everything you need to do work is already on the machine. All other stuff at best only helps you to be distracted from doing work.

Unless of course you've been granted administrator access, then you can damn well do whatever you please hehehe :D

drew_goring
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Most companies are like this. If you can run CMD, then there is a way to get the admin password, but I would not recommend it.

Antonito
09-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by ga16i

Unless of course you've been granted administrator access, then you can damn well do whatever you please hehehe :D

All we ever hear from tech support is how we are spending too much time on the internet, and that;s why 90% of the internet is blocked, including Youtube, and yet when I go to see them because they've installed a program that super-crashes the program i use for actual work, they're watching Youtube.

benyl
09-25-2007, 07:50 PM
haha, I always ask and get admin. Just have to know the right peeps at the support desk.

BlackArcher101
09-26-2007, 01:39 AM
It all depends on the company. If it's a small upstart company then odds are there are no restrictions. My company only has restrictions on laptops but desktop pc's are basically a home pc on a network domain with no restrictions. However, the downside is I usually have to answer the calls that go something like "The popups are getting insane.... my computer is crawling.... my computer is giving errors.... my computer gives a blue screen.... ". Sometimes I wish some users have restrictions. For myself though I'm always downloading plugins for drafting/design software, as well as trial programs as I give recommendations for puchasing (for ISO implementation).

eblend
09-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Work for the government. Installation of software is mostly restricted but internet is wide open :D I don't care about restrictions on software install, don't effect me, i am admin :D

thrasher22
09-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Its not uncommon because a large percentage of the world don't know how to use computers properly and click pop up ads that say "Click here to download internet accelerator and surf 10% faster!!!" and bring down the whole internal network lol.

Just ask them for more permissions or at least to install the basics like flash player, if you're not an idiot and have a half assed reason, they'll probably do it/let you.

GQBalla
09-26-2007, 08:56 PM
lol at work they block everything all internet access but their select sites. and every computer is monitored everytime a call is coming in. so pretty much 24/7

only way to get around it is to either be administrator, or have IT change the OU to your username.

xkon
09-26-2007, 09:13 PM
as the guy at IT watching youtube, I love no admin rights - saves a lot of "my itunes wont work" BS questions... most places are like that.

that being said, my itunes works just fine lol

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Most of the companies I worked for I WAS IT... So I had admin rights. There are ways around the websites, but not really software unless you get h-core

98type_r
09-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
lol at work they block everything all internet access but their select sites. and every computer is monitored everytime a call is coming in. so pretty much 24/7

you wouldn't happen to work for rogers in their call centre would you?