PDA

View Full Version : Eczema and winter

st184
09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey guys
Just wondering if anyone suffers from Eczema on beyond. I have had my skin condition since I was a kid but now only surfaces from time to time. It has slowly been getting better and I no longer have problems with it in the warmer months. Now that winter is around the corner it has started to break out again around my eyes, and behind my elbows on my arms. My parents heard about eating Apricot halves helping skin when I was younger and that is what initially cleared most of the condition. Just wondering if anyone has any tricks or tips regarding diet etc that might help Eczema or skin in general. I am sick of looking tired all the time and being so ichy :banghead:.
Thx guys.

Wraith
09-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I had this junk when i was younger, go to a doctor and get them to prescribe you a cream. I specifically got this stuff called Hydroval and it worked for me ;)

BokCh0y
09-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't know if there's anything you can eat for diet to prevent Eczema's, but what I usually do for the colder dryer months is make sure I use tons of lotion. Use your regular cortico-steroid cream like betaderm, celestoderm, prevex b or whatever per the recommendations from your doctor, but also carry a small container of lotion to keep moisturized. A good moisturizer that isn't greasy or oily is Cetaphil. That stuff works amazing. Lube up after your shower, before bed and whenever you can - the parts that are experiencing the outbreak and also use your medicated cream.

Also maybe try an allergy med like reactine.

st184
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Ill try reactine, and all the other steps mentioned thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming :D

BokCh0y
09-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah the reactine should counter the allergens that sometimes cause eczema. But the best thing to do is lube up!!!!!!

st184
09-26-2007, 04:35 PM
you're a pharmacist arn't you?

D. Dub
09-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I have a son that suffers from it and I have it a wee bit.

Taking EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids) can help - Cold water fish oils, flax seed oil, etc, etc,

Georges Special Dry Skin Cream (made by a local pharmacist) works as can simple Glaxxal base.

r0g3r
09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
oh i have it, the places i have it are back of the elbows, sometimes neck and little on the tips of my fingers. I've had it all my life basically. Doctor told me it would go away when i hit puberty, but i still have it -__________-

I just try to eat healthy with foods that provide anti-inflammatory effects. I hear the blueberries are good of that sort.

Cowtown_Raider
09-26-2007, 06:24 PM
A friend of mine had an eczema like condition for a long time and figured out it was because he didn't drink enough water. In fact, he never drank water...ever.

Do you keep yourself adequately hydrated? Not sure if it's the same thing, but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Good luck

Impreza
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Goto Rocky Mountain soap company and get their eczema soap and their eczema moisturizer. It really works and it is awesome. I have bad eczema and nothing has worked better than that stuff! It isn't expensive either.

st184
09-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, in my personal experience I have found that drinking large amounts of water has helped, hemp oil and oddly enough eating ALOT of apricots. When I was little Apricots put it into remission for almost 3 years, but now has come back.

Mixalot27
09-28-2007, 05:36 PM
I had this really bad on my hands for 8 or 9 years when I was younger. I had to put a steroid type cream on everyday to keep it bearable. Sometimes it was so bad I even had to wear mittens to bed at night to keep me from scratching my hands raw. Then I spent 1 week in Cuba and it went away completely. This was around 4 years ago and its just now starting to come back. I guess I will have to take another tropical vacation this winter to get rid of it again.

Impreza
09-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Humid locations like Cuba really help. Have you tried a humidifier?

Impreza
09-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Oh, and use moisturel cream. It works wonders!

G3500
09-29-2007, 05:50 PM
I use cortico steroid cream, cetaphil and what I found really helps is a humidifier, turn it on when you sleep and when you wake up your skin feels alot better.

MrSector9
09-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I was prescribed Dermovate and it works pretty good... i keep it pretty good now with using softsoaps and i use a handcream from bodyshop with almond butter in it.. works well for me so far.

it was that bad last winter (before i started treating it more) that my fingers would crack when i bent them... man it is the most annoying thing ever :/

Also thanks for the tip on rocky mountain soap I am going to go pick some up and send some home to other family emmebers that have it bad...

Also i should add that certain detergents for your clothes can make it break out really bad, sometimes even shirts that have synthetic materials in them.

my uncle can only wear (and for sheets) 100% cotton..

FiveFreshFish
09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Get your parents to install a water softener. Makes a world of difference.

bigbadboss101
09-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Winter is worst. In the summer mine was under control and sometimes not easy to notice. Now it's back.

alias
10-19-2007, 12:40 PM
this is one of the most annoying things that you can ever get. there are steroid creams that you can get that will help with the itch but if your are inconsistent with them then the problem will resurface.

BokCh0y
10-19-2007, 01:18 PM
^^^^ not to mention the corti-costeroid cream with long term use....will thin out the skin where it is applied making you more susceptible to an outbreak in the same place.

Amysicle
10-19-2007, 06:03 PM
I have that corti-costeroid ointment or whatever you call it. It isn't the cream form, it's in an oily thick form and it didn't do too much for me even though I was using it sparingly and consistently for 3 months straight and applying that Glaxalbase stuff and using the Georges Skin cream constantly.

And then I grabbed the Rocky Mountain pumpkin soap and plain body butter from there and it's given me great results in a week. :thumbsup: The pumpkin stuff doesn't do so much for me but the moisturizer is just awesome. Thanks for the suggestion!

st184
10-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Ah good to see some feedback :) ill make sure I check that Rocky Mountain soap out too. Since I made this post my eczema has gotten allot better just with taking six tablespoons of help oil when I wake up and before I go to bed.