PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP - can barely use computer

mb935
09-25-2007, 06:04 PM
i posted a few months ago about a virus and low memory. I belive the problem was "fixed" when i did a microsoft update. I of course tried again but it said there are no updates. I am now trying to do the microsoft protection - but it says that the page provides unsafe info to an active x control - and my settings dont allow it. What does that mean???

I did do a virus scan (several times) using trend micro housecall - i did erase several spyware issues - but there were 2 that could not be erased. I now have no memory to do ANYTHING. Ive even uninstalled various programs for more space.

If i continue on the internet i know that eventually webpages will stop loading (i had to restart just to post here0

PLEASE let me know what i need to do - i have windows 2000 professional.

THANKS!!

PINOY-X
09-25-2007, 06:10 PM
uhmm get a new computer ? ... add more memory ? ... take it in maybe someone can fix it for you...or try reformating your system and reinstalling everything agian save all the files you in a cd

cityhunter2501
09-25-2007, 06:15 PM
whats the spec of your computer?

wipe the whole HDD and reinstall windows?

mb935
09-25-2007, 06:19 PM
im not sure what you mean by specs...

I do have a backup disk (separate to computer)

Obviously i have no computer knowledge...

How would i erase the drive?

I guess i then have to reinstall all programs with the cds.

How would i then get my pictures, music files etc which (I hope) are saved on this backup disk back onto the computer??

Is this going to be a long and horrible process???

Im just so worried that i wont do something right and Ill lose something important.

mb935
09-25-2007, 06:22 PM
what about saved info for internet - like my favorite list

Doozer
09-25-2007, 06:48 PM
This is normally where I'd post something about how to fix things yourself. But to be honest, and no disrespect meant here, your computer knowledge isn't at a level where I'd feel comfortable making a recommendation and hoping you'll do it properly.

Take it in to Futureshop/Compusmart/some place with a tech shop, and get them to take care of it. It sounds like you've got spyware and/or virus issues. They'll be able to remove spyware, etc, without losing your stuff.

They might still tell you to get a new computer, but at the very least they'll be able to optimize your current machine without losing anything. Then you can decide where to go from there.

There's a million possible options to fix this, but you sure as hell shouldn't be asking for instructions on how to format your hard drive on an internet forum, when you don't even know how to change your security settings on Internet Explorer. That's just asking for trouble. Like asking a mechanic how to swap a transmission, when you can't figure out how to check the oil.

BoS_DC2
09-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by PINOY-X
uhmm get a new computer ? ... add more memory ? ... take it in maybe someone can fix it for you...or try reformating your system and reinstalling everything agian save all the files you in a cd

jesus, don't give advice if you don't know anything yourself.

on topic:

How long have you owned your computer for? What virus security softwares do you have? If you're using "Windows XP"

Click Start --> Control Panel --> System.

Type out what you see under "Computer"

Example:

AMD Althon(tm) 2800+
1.8 GHz, 1 MB of Ram

then we'll be able to determine what's best for you. Your best bet is to probably goto Bestbuys since you're in the states and ask the computer techs what usb drives you can use to back your files up.

If you're using internet explorer 7:

here's how you reset all your settings to default.

Open IE7: Click Tools --> Internet Options --> General's Tab: Under "Browsing History" click delete and then "delete all". Now move onto the Security's tab and at the bottom click "Reset all zones to default level". Click the Privacy's tab afterwards and click "Default". After you're done that, click on the Advanced tab and below, click "restore advanced settings" and then "reset"

Doing this may allow you to Active X Controls but the problem could be a "Pop-up blocker" you're using or have installed. They usually are located in a toolbar that's installed onto IE or a feature that an internet security software may include.

All fails, just listen to the posts above and bring it into a local technician.