PDA

View Full Version : AWD Dyno

SpeedyZ
09-25-2007, 07:52 PM
If a shop opened in calgary that had an all wheel drive dyno how many of you guys would go to it to get your car tuned?
Also would it make a difference if the shop had tunning special that went with secret street at race city?
The shop would also be located about ten minutes from race city

This is for a project so opinions would be appreciated

Aleks
09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I thought there already was an AWD dyno in Calgary. When did it close?

SpeedyZ
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I couldnt find any information on a AWD dyno in calgary, the only one I have read/found out about is in Edmonton

RUQUIKR
09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Reigel tuning(sp) in town has a AWD dyno.

962 kid
09-25-2007, 08:25 PM
yeah, but it's a POS dyno. Save your money and drive to edmonton.

RUQUIKR
09-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

What makes you say that?

962 kid
09-25-2007, 08:36 PM
It's a dynapack

xrayvsn
09-26-2007, 11:22 PM
It's a dynapack

So what?

The dyno in Edmonton is a Mustang. Both are useful tuning tools. I would care more about how good the cooling and fans are for either dyno. Hard to get a good tune when your IC is heatsoaked.

To the OP: a dyno facility is only as good as the tuner associated with it. No one is going to come to the dyno for just baseline pulls. The only feasible business plan to recover your initial 6 figure investment in an AWD dyno is to offer power modification, installs, and most importantly, tuning. People do not want to spend thousands of dollars on their cars only to have an amateur tuner grenade their motor.

My $0.02.

Maxt
09-27-2007, 05:21 AM
The dynapack is the most accurate and most repeatable dyno out there for tuning. You can pickup a change you would never see on a roller dyno.. I have used both types, I own a roller type dyno (dynojet), if I could afford a dynapack I would have one in a heartbeat.. Its a harder dyno to use and to setup properly, but especially for boost tuning, they are very good. A poor operator though will make any dyno a POS..
Dyno's are not money makers by themselves, you have to have a full blown shop around them to make them pay, they tend to be a supplement rather than a key attraction..

SpeedyZ
10-02-2007, 03:41 PM
it will be a full shop that does everything as well as sell some parts but the dyno operators would be fully trained and know what there doing and the prices would be competitive

R-Audi
10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
For what cars though?
I think another AWD dyno would be great.... but doesnt do much for you unless you have someone to tune the car..

TNation
10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
For what cars though?
I think another AWD dyno would be great.... but doesnt do much for you unless you have someone to tune the car..

:werd:

soloracer
10-03-2007, 07:31 PM

It's only a $100,00+ dyno that many top Porsche engine builders in the states prefer using. But it must be POS because you say so......... :rolleyes: