PDA

View Full Version : Holy Downie Hit

phreezee
09-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Hard to watch as he lays there motionless.

322zqTkL0-c

phreezee
09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
TSN link with reactions http://broadband.tsn.ca/tsn/ click video on the right hand side.

ianmcc
09-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry to say, but McCammond got caught with his head down admiring his pass and did not protect himself. Downie did run him and deserves a match penalty and a suspension but players need to protect themselves.

JRSC00LUDE
09-26-2007, 10:49 AM
With blatant cheap shit like that, tell me again why minimum 5 figure fines and double digit suspensions shouldn't happen?

If you did something like that and it immediately cost you 250K and 25 games you wouldn't do it again. Especially if the next infraction was 500K and 40 games.

Originally posted by ianmcc
Sorry to say, but McCammond got caught with his head down admiring his pass and did not protect himself. Downie did run him and deserves a match penalty and a suspension but players need to protect themselves.

When you see a guy with his head down, you don't try and take it off. No problem with laying him out, but do it right. You never leave your feet with the express purpose of knocking a guys head off his shoulders and you should be dealt with accordingly. Especially when you have potential career ending injuries as a direct result of you being a cheap-shot giving pussy.

snowboard
09-26-2007, 10:51 AM
as horrible as it is too see someone hurt like that

why would they penalize Downie? he didnt run him, he was skating in the fucking oposite direction, if mccammond had his head up he coulda slid on the board and taken way less of a hit, or stood up to it... thats the EXACT same as an open ice hit. when i played hockey and lacrosse i always looked for idiots coming around the back of the net with there head down?

Edit: after review of the video i must agree now, that was a bitch move, i didnt notice the pass.

98type_r
09-26-2007, 10:52 AM
don't know if this is true or not, but according to some reports Downie was chuckling when he left the ice.

Yes Mcammond was admiring his pass, but Downie went in there with a full head of steam, left the ice, and looks like he got his elbow up. :thumbsdow

treg50
09-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Downie's a fucking idiot. No doubt he's been reprimanded in the past. No doubt he's fully aware that you don't leave leave your feet. No doubt he knows this crap can end a guy's career or worse yet affect his life.

He brings his dirty cheapshot method from the juniors to the NHL. The NHL will not miss this punk, they should get rid of him. This is the type of crap that the critics feed off of and give hockey a bad rep --- this kid is a nobody and will not be missed. What it will do is send a cold clear message to everyone.

If the NHL doesn't, Ottawa already had some choice words/warnings for Downie after the game.
:clap:

JRSC00LUDE
09-26-2007, 10:53 AM
^

No problem at all with taking a guy out while his head is down, it's fun! Just don't take his head out. If you can't make a clean hit, don't make one at all. Not that hard to figure out.

anarchy
09-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Agreed, that was brutal.
He left the ice and went for his head with his elbows.
It's freakin preseason, not that it matters when you do it.

The $5,000 fines or wahtever bs it is is retarded. Who cares if you get fined $5,000, it shoudl be something significant but the NHLPA would fight that to the death.

Dave P
09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Dean should of kept his head up.

You shouldnt expect other players to protect you

I think a match penalty was way to much. maybe a charging or boarding major, but not a match.

Next phi ott game will be exciting.

Edit: i also dont think he left the ice until the contact was made, and he did lead with his shoulder.

he probally didnt see the pass out front of the net. it was pretty slick.

unfortante to see players go down though

Dave P
09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
and -10 pts for the ott players who decided to cause a scrum and fight over top of a team mate who is motionless on the ice

sexualbanana
09-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Dave P

Edit: i also dont think he left the ice until the contact was made, and he did lead with his shoulder.

Oh, he left the ice before the contact. You don't get that kind of body reaction (Downie's) without getting your whole body in the air before contact.

rmk
09-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Mcammond should know better than to skate with his head down behind the net. No suspension needed.

em2ab
09-26-2007, 12:37 PM
He clearly jumped before hitting the guy.

Dave P
09-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Oh, he left the ice before the contact. You don't get that kind of body reaction (Downie's) without getting your whole body in the air before contact.

i dunno. if you slow it down frame by frame, it doesnt look like he jumped. maybe his skates were like a cm or two off the ground a split sec before contact, but not enough to warrant a match

sexualbanana
09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
For people who think it was uncalled for, try playing the game. The only problem I had with that his is the guy's feet left the ice, this should never happen. If you go into a hit extending your legs to get higher, of course you'll knock the guy down but it's a cheap way of doing it. This was a real minor case of this but he still did it. Otherwise it was a clean hit, I would have stayed on my feet better, and if the guy was shorter than me, I would have ducked down just a bit to match shoulders to ensure it's clean. Knock him down with force, not leverage.

That's the problem most of us have with the hit. The hit went from what would appear to be a hard, legit, shoulder-to-shoulder hit to a hard, unnecessary, shoulder-to-head hit because he jumped.

McAmmond should know better to skate with his head up, but even an injury case like McAmmond should've been able to survive that hit had Downie stayed on his feet.

And in my opinion, that hit came pretty late.

shtock99
09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
that was a bs hit, for people saying he didn't leave his feet must be blind, he wouldve won a damn gold medal in the high jump comp at the olympics. On the other hand its partially McCammond's fault for playing stupid hockey but Downie def tried to take his head off and i think he'll get 10 games IF he even makes the flyers team

treg50
09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
and -10 pts for the ott players who decided to cause a scrum and fight over top of a team mate who is motionless on the ice

LOL no kidding, -20 pts and +common sense evaluation. That was pretty messed up to see people tussling and stumbling ON the guy's unconscious body.

On TV (not YouTube), it appears clearer. Looks a lot like he was in the air on impact. A reckless idiot can't be allowed to messed up guy's employment, life, or family like that.

He left the ice = NOT a clean hit

em2ab
09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

That's the problem most of us have with the hit. The hit went from what would appear to be a hard, legit, shoulder-to-shoulder hit to a hard, unnecessary, shoulder-to-head hit because he jumped.

McAmmond should know better to skate with his head up, but even an injury case like McAmmond should've been able to survive that hit had Downie stayed on his feet.

And in my opinion, that hit came pretty late. 3

Quoted me before the edit! I reviewed it a few more times and saw he did leave his feet, I was looking higher for elbows and things in the original review.

sexualbanana
09-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Quoted me before the edit! I reviewed it a few more times and saw he did leave his feet, I was looking higher for elbows and things in the original review.

You gotta be quick with me, son! lol

Mr_John
09-26-2007, 01:53 PM
The NHL needs a commissioner like the NFL. Huge half million dollar fines and season long suspensions on players that like to act like retards ON and OFF the field.

I agree with Murray in his interview after the game. This hit was EVERYTHING WRONG with what the NHL is trying to get rid of. He left his feet and threw up his elbow while blindsiding him. Cant wait for Downie to protect himself when McGratton comes chasing him. Murray was NOT happy and I'm sure his coaching staff will want their revenge.

anarchy
09-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Interesting blog from Bob MacKenzie, who was at the game:
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/mckenzie/?id=219220

gongSHOW
09-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Mr_John
The NHL needs a commissioner like the NFL. Huge half million dollar fines and season long suspensions on players that like to act like retards ON and OFF the field.

I agree with Murray in his interview after the game. This hit was EVERYTHING WRONG with what the NHL is trying to get rid of. He left his feet and threw up his elbow while blindsiding him. Cant wait for Downie to protect himself when McGratton comes chasing him. Murray was NOT happy and I'm sure his coaching staff will want their revenge.

I didn't see an elbow, it looked like a shoulder but it was definitely to the head. He was gliding before he hit him but he definitely did jump, I would have to agree with the match penalty given during the game as he was trying to injure him. I don't see him getting more than a few games, in my opinion Chris Pronger's hit on McAmmond last year in the playoffs was far more vicious.

oilerfan4lyfe
09-26-2007, 03:08 PM
It looks like an elbow to me, but perhaps that's irrelevant...

He definately did leave his feet and either way Downie's only intent was to try and take McAmmond's fucken head off.

It was a pathetic cheap shot - too bad McGratton didn't get to beat the shit outta Downie after he did it as people were holding him back.

I've got no problems with good, hard clean hits - Torres on Williams was clean. This is a different story all together.

Impreza
09-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I love big hits. Anyone remember that Brian Campbell hit on Umberger? That was a big clean hit! But Downie's hit was simply dirty.

mac_82
09-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Elbow? maybe
High Hit? yes
Charging? debatable
Left his feet? possibly, but with his momentum he was going high anyways
Intent to Inujure? yup
Nov 24? I got 4 tix to the first Ottawa / Phili game! Good game to pick I guess.

;)

Dave P
09-28-2007, 12:21 PM
20 games

thats retarded

88CRX
09-28-2007, 12:26 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219415&hubname=

WOW!! 20 games!

Atleast the NHL finally sent a message that this shit doesn't belong in the league.

Kona9
09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

WOW!! 20 games!

Atleast the NHL finally sent a message that this shit doesn't belong in the league.

AMEN

403Gemini
09-28-2007, 01:05 PM

WOW!! 20 games!

Well said!

Dont get me wrong i like, big, CLEAN hits

calgarys_finest
09-28-2007, 01:12 PM
is hitting to the head a penalty no. once again the nhl give a penalty do to the injury i think if macamond got up there would have been no suspension. the hit was dirty but so are many other plays including the one that started it (downie being hit face first into the boards) but since no injury no call.

88CRX
09-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
is hitting to the head a penalty no.

Irrelivant.... attempt to injure is a penalty and thats exactly what he did.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-28-2007, 01:41 PM

WOW!! 20 games!

Agreed, the NHL has been too lax for too long.

Kirbs17
09-28-2007, 01:46 PM
20 games is a very very fair penatly. Colin Campbell sent out a video showing what would be cracked down in terms of head shots earlier in the year. Going through it, this meets every single ones criteria. We all know Steve Downies aggresive past in the OHL, and he was clearly set off by a hit from Schubert earlier in the play. This was, in my opinion, an unfair attempt-to-injure hit. Im glad the NHL is making a statement with him. These head shots are unacceptable, and continue to give the NHL a bad name.

ianmcc
09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't think Downie will even play 20 games, he's not that good.
I also hear he has some anger issues in junior.
Who do we blame? The referees, for not calling the hit from behind on Downie earlier in the shift which would have ended the play and not had Downie looking for payback.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Who do we blame? The referees, for not calling the hit from behind on Downie earlier in the shift which would have ended the play and not had Downie looking for payback.

You have to be fucking kidding me.

icecreamvan
09-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Who do we blame?

I blame you.

Neil4Speed
09-28-2007, 02:39 PM
What really made me cringe was after McAmmond was down, a player pushed him with his skate, just like a rag doll.

ianmcc
09-28-2007, 04:32 PM
For every action there is a reaction. Downie didn't just decide to lay out McCammond-he was looking for payback and Deano presented an easy target. If the refs don't control the game things quickly get out of hand.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Downie didn't just decide to lay out McCammond

Oh, then who decided? Are you saying that people shouldn't be held accountable for their temper tantrums?

TNation
10-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
20 games is a very very fair penatly. Colin Campbell sent out a video showing what would be cracked down in terms of head shots earlier in the year. Going through it, this meets every single ones criteria. We all know Steve Downies aggresive past in the OHL, and he was clearly set off by a hit from Schubert earlier in the play. This was, in my opinion, an unfair attempt-to-injure hit. Im glad the NHL is making a statement with him. These head shots are unacceptable, and continue to give the NHL a bad name.

AMEN

gmoney82
10-04-2007, 11:32 AM
$5000 is BS.... with the amount of games Mcammond has to miss, it would be a cool idea if the fine should be somewhat proportional to salary/wages that mcammond is gonna lose

88CRX
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by gmoney82
$5000 is BS.... with the amount of games Mcammond has to miss, it would be a cool idea if the fine should be somewhat proportional to salary/wages that mcammond is gonna lose

The current collective bargaining agreement limits the amount of monetary fine the league can hand down.

gmoney82
10-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Yah good on those guys to look out for their own players. I'm not prentending to know about the CBA, but if the Downie hit was on a marquee player like Iginla we'd be looking at a different uproar...although you usually coulndt catch iggy with his head down

Mr_John
10-13-2007, 04:02 AM
The NHL NEEDS heavy fines AND season long suspensions for players who think they can act tough with a hockey stick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=220462&hubname=

I hate Kesler but that doesnt mean he deserves a cross check to the face. Whats with the Flyers players throwing dirty hits at everyone?

At least Campbell is handing out some decently stiff penalties on these idiots.

Supa Dexta
10-13-2007, 08:51 AM
fan 590 had it right last night, do this shit and leave the league... See who fucks around then. make the criteria so that any blatant hits like this and you're gone.. An accidental stick to the head while getting tripped up or something, ok 5 games or whatever.. But you are not going to have a decent player pull a hit like this knowing they will be kicked out of the league, it just won't happen.. And if you still have a hot headed greasy goon of a player try this, well good ridden's, he doesn't belong in the game anyways, guys can still be big and tuff fighters and still contribute to the points, hell even domi was banging a few in there a couple yrs back... Players who just go out and skate around, get no points in a season, unless by accident and are just out there to stir shit up and head hunt decent players, don't belong in the league.. You take the head off a decent player and they don't play again is complete bull shit, you take their lively hood,

try that in the office on monday grab a broom and crack it across someones throat and see how that turns out for you and them..