PDA

View Full Version : project mu rotors - compatible calipers?!

sh0ko
09-26-2007, 10:47 AM
so im gonna purchase a set of front project mus within the next several mths here.. just the scr plus replacement stock rotors that are slotted

i was wondering.. i know the stock caliper works with it.. but is there a replacement stock caliper thats a little higher end (if that makes any sense) that would work with the project mu rotor

i hear great things baout the project mu's and rotoras too and theres DEF a huge price difference..

as for redlyne i know u have project mus from rob cuz i was gonna purchase those but ran outta moeny. however the project mus u have i know are much higher end than the stock project mu replacemtn rotors im looking at... any input on this? worth the price im paying for the project mus?! i hear both yes and no

thinmyster
09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
dude that was painfull to read. Not many people are going to be able to tell you the difference. id try mr2oc

In my opinion you should start by doing

SS Lines
93+ Calipers
A good set of pads
A Good brake fluid changed somewhat frequently

Not necessarily in that order

thinmyster
09-26-2007, 03:09 PM
your going to want to upgrade your brake m/c aswell if you upgrade your calipers

mr2mike
09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
I have never seen these rotors you speak of. As for rotors and my opinion:

Probably not worth the price. Would you buy Greddy rotors if they made them? You're paying for the name or the design. If they're cross drilled, then yes you would want a respectable name as those types of rotors are known to crack and not all cross drilled are the same.

Unless you're doing some hardcore auto-x, I wouldn't get those rotors (if they're costing way more than most). Spend the extra on the MC or calipers or pads. Pads will do more for you than the rotor ever will. Comparing slotted regular $130 rotors to your pricey ones just isn't worth it to me, personally.

If you want the look, I'll paint the rotor that gay teal green for the difference of the two brands. ;)

As for higher end calipers other than stock... you need to get a different size. They don't make higher end stock sized calipers for the MR2. May I suggest polyurethane caliper covers?

Off topic but:

Buying pads for race applications doesn't = better stopping on city streets.

sh0ko
09-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
I have never seen these rotors you speak of. As for rotors and my opinion:

Probably not worth the price. Would you buy Greddy rotors if they made them? You're paying for the name or the design. If they're cross drilled, then yes you would want a respectable name as those types of rotors are known to crack and not all cross drilled are the same.

Unless you're doing some hardcore auto-x, I wouldn't get those rotors (if they're costing way more than most). Spend the extra on the MC or calipers or pads. Pads will do more for you than the rotor ever will. Comparing slotted regular $130 rotors to your pricey ones just isn't worth it to me, personally.

If you want the look, I'll paint the rotor that gay teal green for the difference of the two brands. ;)

As for higher end calipers other than stock... you need to get a different size. They don't make higher end stock sized calipers for the MR2. May I suggest polyurethane caliper covers?

Off topic but:

Buying pads for race applications doesn't = better stopping on city streets.

i forgot to mention.. theyre crossdrilled and slotted

mr2mike
09-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Drilled are nice to look at but I've heard too many times of them cracking due to the holes weakening the rotor.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sizing is sizing and make sure you get the right size for the caliper and your wheel size too if you get bigger calipers.

Like I said above, there is no higher end nicely chromed or coated calipers you can buy unless you go bigger and you would prob. want/require a bigger MC.

Redlyne_mr2
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I have the high end project mu pads and rotors on my car.. the rotors are phenominal however they require the 93+ brakes, they wont fit otherwise. In terms of serious racing youre starting to see less and less drilled rotors out there because of the simple fact that they are weaker than a good vented slotted rotor. For the price of the 93 brakes,SS lines, rotors and pads youd be better off looking at the K sport big brake kit $1450CND and it includes everything.. front only of course but no reason to have big brakes in the rear.

red99600
09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
drilled are just for looks?

Redlyne_mr2
09-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by red99600
drilled are just for looks?
They are great for street driving and if the rotor is thick enough then they can last a long time however the are more prone to cracking for sure under severe heat.

jvillain
09-29-2007, 10:53 AM
sh0ko what are your plans for the car? Are you planning on any racing? If so what type? Are you buying them for show?

sh0ko
09-29-2007, 11:03 AM
^^^ well im not planning on racing but my brakes are well.. f&$#%....but i was thinking running solo 2 next year or something i hae no idea yet..

cuz my last mechanic polished em way too much and now theyre too thin...so my calipers aint grabbing onto em completely! not to mention i really just not used to the braking power on them right now..i was thinking of upgrading to 94+ brakes .. and saying thats that...but im a little iffy buying used brakes and all....

any sugestions jvillain?! i know ur a mr2 guru so any input would b MOSTLY appreciated

Redlyne_mr2
09-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
^^^ well im not planning on racing but my brakes are well.. f&$#%....but i was thinking running solo 2 next year or something i hae no idea yet..

cuz my last mechanic polished em way too much and now theyre too thin...so my calipers aint grabbing onto em completely! not to mention i really just not used to the braking power on them right now..i was thinking of upgrading to 94+ brakes .. and saying thats that...but im a little iffy buying used brakes and all....

any sugestions jvillain?! i know ur a mr2 guru so any input would b MOSTLY appreciated
So what am I? lol... honestly for the type of driving youre doing id recomend a good set of pads, ss lines and fluid, that will make all the difference in the world. The 91 brakes are great brakes the 93+ are just a bit better.. you wouldnt really notice the difference unless you took the car out on the track.

thinmyster
09-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

So what am I? lol... honestly for the type of driving youre doing id recomend a good set of pads, ss lines and fluid, that will make all the difference in the world. The 91 brakes are great brakes the 93+ are just a bit better.. you wouldnt really notice the difference unless you took the car out on the track.

*AHEM*

Originally posted by thinmyster

In my opinion you should start by doing

SS Lines
93+ Calipers
A good set of pads
A Good brake fluid changed somewhat frequently

Not necessarily in that order

jvillain
10-02-2007, 11:49 PM
If the most stress you are going to put on them is autox I would just do like Ryan said. If you are going to be doing lapping with more than say 250hp then you should be looking at upgrading to the 93+ brakes.

Also keep in mind that we don't know what the future holds for Race City so spending big on some thing you will only use there might not be a great investment. At least wait till the end of the month when we should have a better idea of what is going on.