PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Oilers 07-08 MEGA thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

gonefishing
09-26-2007, 10:47 AM
I figured its time to start a new thread for the 07-08 Oilers season. Please argue discuss topics related to the Oilers.

I am pretty happy overall with all of the off season tractions that KLowe has made but still feel we need a top 6 scoring threat. I cannot wait to see how our young guys do this year. It can't get any worse than last year right ????

oilerfan4lyfe
09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Nope, it can't get any worse than last year despite what people seem to be predicting.

We'll be right in the thick of things again this year - no, we won't win the conference or for that matter the division, but I also don't think we're going to finish 12th or 13th like some other people.

The biggest thing people are forgetting is that this was a competitive team last year before the injury situation - yeah it sounds like an excuse, but when you're so hurt defensively that you run out of people to call up from the minors and you have to move Toby Petersen on D you might as well just throw in the towel.

The offense looks weak again, but if Hemsky plays like he can and Torres recovers with a good season we should be okay up front. The additions of Souray and Pitkanen are huge because they'll provide a lot more scoring from the back end especially on the powerplay.

Oh and speaking of the powerplay, the moment Craig Simpson left it instantly became 100% better.

In the end I'd expect Edmonton to finish somewhere around 8th...if they get some hot goaltending or make a move at the deadline for a quality forward we might be able to jump up into 6th or 7th. Conversely, if Hemsky or Stoll get hurt, we're fucked.

bamboo403
09-26-2007, 03:22 PM
:whocares: :closed:

:goflames:

RC-Cola
09-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I was at the Calgary - Edmonton game on Saturday night and the D looked a little suspect. They had Sourey playing with Mat Greene on the top line which I don't think he is ready for...

On the good front Stoll look fantastic, he was flying all over the ice all night. Everytime he was on the ice he was dangerous. Good to see him back in game shape, hopefully he keeps his head up and doesn't get his melon scrambled again! :nut:

Comments like the one above are not nessecary, if you not a fan of the Oilers or hockey keep to the Flames forum and leave your opinons there...

urbannomad
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
the thread starters name is gonefishing...

oh the ability foreshadow.... :rofl: :goflames:

oilerfan4lyfe
09-26-2007, 04:42 PM
RC, Matt Greene was just there because it was preseason - I think that Staios, Souray, Pitkanen and Smid will be the top 4 to start the season and deservedly so. Greene and Tarnstrom should get the 5/6 spots leaving Grebeshkov as the 7th guy.

Yeah Stoll's terrific - he was having an awesome season last year too until Pahlsson hit him from behind.

And Flames fans...you have a thread for yourself and as far as I know there's nothing forcing you to come into this thread. If you want to come in here and offer an insightful opinion you're more an entitled to - and in fact a lot of the Flames fans I know are smart hockey people and offer good opinions on subjects dealing with other teams. If you can't do that though, just don't click the title for the thread - it's as simple as that.

Doozer
09-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Schremp got sent down to the minors today (along with 8 others, including Syvret).

I think that's it for him ... this is his 3rd try I think, and he still can't crack the lineup? Yikes. Too bad for the guy, but you can't say he hasn't had his chances. A spot was there for him to take. I'd be much happier with Gagner or Brodziuk starting out the regular season this year.

HyperZell
09-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I just don't understand what the Oilers are doing on defense. They get Souray, Pitkanen and Tarnstrom, all offensive defensemen, while having a terrible forward section. It's like they are expecting their D-men to provide to scoring and the O-men to defend, or something.

While the breakout passes and blueline shooting might be a threat, I'm predicting that Edmonton is going to give up too many goals and not score enough to be a real threat. Last in the NW for sure.

SneakyNeek
09-26-2007, 07:27 PM
The D is gunna be finneeee.

GO HEMSKY!

Hamilton515
09-26-2007, 07:37 PM

HuMz
09-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
I just don't understand what the Oilers are doing on defense. They get Souray, Pitkanen and Tarnstrom, all offensive defensemen, while having a terrible forward section. It's like they are expecting their D-men to provide to scoring and the O-men to defend, or something.

While the breakout passes and blueline shooting might be a threat, I'm predicting that Edmonton is going to give up too many goals and not score enough to be a real threat. Last in the NW for sure.

Don't underestimate how big of a deal the transition game is....I made that mistake last year.

Not having puck-moving defenseman was our biggest downfall in terms of scoring last season.

Nissanaddict
09-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Doozer
Schremp got sent down to the minors today (along with 8 others, including Syvret).

I think that's it for him ... this is his 3rd try I think, and he still can't crack the lineup? Yikes. Too bad for the guy, but you can't say he hasn't had his chances. A spot was there for him to take. I'd be much happier with Gagner or Brodziuk starting out the regular season this year.

One of the smarter Oiler fan things I've heard lately. A ton of them still think Schremp is supreme ownage omglol! I know the Oilers management has been suspect, but you don't bench a player in the AHL because he's good (can't blame the Oilers either...that was the Penguins idea). Unfortunately, I still don't think the Oilers will make a major splash this year. The Oilers had one of the best puck movers in the league in 06, and a few forwards over-achieved. The Oilers did under-achieve last year, but not horrendously. The NW division will, as usual, be a tough one. Also, unless Garon really steps up, the Oilers aren't too great in net, as Roloson is over-rated, and will be backing up by December. Horcoff being a whiner doesn't help (see sportsnet.ca Hockey hearsay)

95EagleAWD
09-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I agree with Schremp being sent back down to Springfield.

What interests me is how Cogliano and Nillson and Gagner are doing; young talent that looks like they'll make the team this year.

I don't think last in the NW is going to be their fate. We were first in the NW last year until December, and I think we have a competetive team.

When Roli is good, he's damn good. When he's off, he's pretty bad. Garon should make a fine 2nd starter.

Nissanaddict
09-26-2007, 10:57 PM
I think Garon will supplant Roloson quickly. I think he was playing way over his head. He is easily annoyed, and imagine having Holmstrom in front of him for 4 games a year, and Smyth in his face another 8. That'll shatter him completely. I think Cogliano and Gagner are good players with a ton of potential. I haven't seen much of Nilsson so I have no clue there, but I've heard he isn't ranked as high in prospect tables as high as most first rounders from this year. I just don't think a -28 defenseman, a young blueliner with suspect work ethic, and Tarnstrom (who Oilers fans loved when he was there, hated when he left, and now love again.....who knows.....) will help them a whole lot. For the Oilers to succeed, I feel that Sam Gagner has to really excel, to first line status, and finish real well (don't rely on Hemsky to do much of that) Penner has to play better defensively (see his +/- last year compared to his usual linemates in Anaheim) and he also has to do a great Smyth impression on the PP. Hemsky has to play tougher, and shoot more, because EVERY goalie cheats towards a pass when Hemsky has the puck (they did on Huselius, so he started shooting to keep them honest). Stoll has to stay healthy, but that's it (I'm a fan of his play). Torres has to find half his 05-06 scoring, Souray has to be better defensively....I can go on. Then again, most NW teams have big ifs. Colorado has a HUGE "if" in net, Calgary has one behind the bench, another making 4 million on the blueline, (and another making 1.5 million ie. Anders Eriksson, if he isn't a COMPLETE piece of shit, they might do well) Minnesota, if Backstrom isn't a flash in the pan, Vancouver, If they find offense (while they're good defensively, the shelf life of a defensive strategy in the new NHL hasn't really exceeded one year on any team). I don't think the Oilers are done already...they just have more "ifs" than the rest of the teams in their division.

gonefishing
09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by HuMz

Don't underestimate how big of a deal the transition game is....I made that mistake last year.

Not having puck-moving defenseman was our biggest downfall in terms of scoring last season.

thats how i feel about the Oilers this year too. and damn did you guys see that blast from Souray last night BOOM!

oilerfan4lyfe
09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Shremp I think was slated to start in the AHL right off the start of training camp and I'm fine with that.

He's coming off of an injury and all through the pre-season he was playing with 4th line garbage, while Gagner and Cogliano found themselves getting much better chances.

That doesn't mean Shremp's done though - this is his year to prove he still has it - it's our farm team now so there isn't going to be stupid Pittsburgh mis-management screwing him over. I'd expect him to be the 1st or 2nd line centre and get a ton of PP time in the AHL to prove his worth.

Nissan, lots of people are writing us off...there's no surprise there. It's to be expected after the shit season we had last year - but like 95 mentioned, we were 1st in the NW to start December last year and that's without Moreau.

While you're right in worrying about the defensive game of our defence I think too many people are seeing bad +/- numbers and making assumptions about the defensive play of some guys...particularly Pitkanen and Souray. Yeah both had horrid +/-'s last year, but look at their teams...Montreal was the worst 5 on 5 team in the NHL and Philly just flat out sucked. Souray was a career +1 before last year, yet people seem to completely disregard that fact which he earned over 7 seasons and just choose to look at least year. Pitkanen is still a career +12 even after last year.

These guys are a lot better defensively than people give them credit for...add in Staios who's a rock and Smid who's got #1 potential and it's not all doom and gloom for Oilers fans.

We'll see how it works out though...

HyperZell
09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Ugh - I don't want to hear anything else about last year. The team has been totally mixed up from last year, so you can't use that as a base for a prediction. The top scorer is gone and you now have 2 new and expensive D-men.

And speaking of those D-men - like I said before, the top three (Souray, Pitkanen, Tarnstrom) are offensive defensemen. That's just how they play. But that's not going to be enough - they need forwards that can play with them (receiving passes, covering the rush, etc). The problem is that Edmonton doesn't have quality or quantity in their offense, and that their defensive play is going to get compromised.

I like that comment from Nissanaddict about Smyth in front of Roloson though...haha I never thought of it that way. The Oilers are going to get a taste of their own medicine.

SneakyNeek
09-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Ugh - I don't want to hear anything else about last year. The team has been totally mixed up from last year, so you can't use that as a base for a prediction. The top scorer is gone and you now have 2 new and expensive D-men.

And speaking of those D-men - like I said before, the top three (Souray, Pitkanen, Tarnstrom) are offensive defensemen. That's just how they play. But that's not going to be enough - they need forwards that can play with them (receiving passes, covering the rush, etc). The problem is that Edmonton doesn't have quality or quantity in their offense, and that their defensive play is going to get compromised.

I like that comment from Nissanaddict about Smyth in front of Roloson though...haha I never thought of it that way. The Oilers are going to get a taste of their own medicine.

There bloody defencemen for a reason. who gives a shit if they are "offensive defencemen". The defence aspect has greatly improved from last year weather you think it or not.
Get over youself

HyperZell
09-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by SneakyNeek

There bloody defencemen for a reason. who gives a shit if they are "offensive defencemen". The defence aspect has greatly improved from last year weather you think it or not.
Get over youself

LOL wtf?

First of all, I think the "weather" is partly cloudy a high of plus 15. Secondly, you have shown remarkable insight by just saying "it's greatly improved". Maybe you should get a job tossing around general statements with a complete disregard for backing them up - maybe you could be Commissioner.

You have no idea of the depths of hockey if you don't think being an offensive or defensive defenseman matters. That would make Robyn Regehr and Brian McCabe the same type of generic defenseman. Why don't we just say that it doesn't matter if a forward is a playmaker or a grinder? Idiot.

Nissanaddict
09-27-2007, 08:07 PM
I know you can't say "last year can't be used as a basis for how a player will play", but in some cases it can. Souray either had a bad year, or has shat the bed, and is done. While he was a -28, Andrei Markov, a guy he definitely got minutes with, was a +2. Komisarek was a +7. If Souray was at least decent, he would be maybe a -10 on a bad even strength team. I'll admit, maybe he had an off year. All I've been saying, is that Souray is an "if". If you play the odds, the most iffy team, will probably do the worst.

SneakyNeek
09-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Haha trust me i know hockey. I just really think you only deserve a general statement. You are a flames fan you know

HyperZell
09-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
I know you can't say "last year can't be used as a basis for how a player will play", but in some cases it can. Souray either had a bad year, or has shat the bed, and is done. While he was a -28, Andrei Markov, a guy he definitely got minutes with, was a +2. Komisarek was a +7. If Souray was at least decent, he would be maybe a -10 on a bad even strength team. I'll admit, maybe he had an off year. All I've been saying, is that Souray is an "if". If you play the odds, the most iffy team, will probably do the worst.

I'm not sure if this is in response to me saying that I don't want to hear about last year being used as a basis for this year's predictions, but I'll assume it is.

I think you misunderstood me, Nissanaddict. I absolutely agree with you in terms of a player - of course last season is a good indicator of how he'll do. I was referring to the 06-07 Oilers specifically, because a lot has changed on their team.

HyperZell
09-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by SneakyNeek
Haha trust me i know hockey. I just really think you only deserve a general statement. You are a flames fan you know

And you're on a Calgary-centric forum. You'd think you would keep things intelligent and focused, like most of the other Oiler fans in this thread, because the stupidest thing to do would be to start a generic "Oilers Rule, Flames Suck" argument. But then again, I've got the feeling that you're either 14 or retarded, so I guess higher-level (read: common sense) thinking eludes you.

Oilers fans with a modicum of knowledge - what do you think about your D-line, really?

SneakyNeek
09-27-2007, 08:49 PM
do you just sit on your computer in the oilers thread wating for someone to reply?

and yes i am 14.

oilerfan4lyfe
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM

Oilers fans with a modicum of knowledge - what do you think about your D-line, really?

Well if I qualify then I'd say there are a lot of "ifs" as Nissan states above. I'm not going to try to convince anyone that Souray is just as good as Lidstrom or Pronger in his own zone because I'd just be lying to myself. He's simply not that good defensively - my point is that he's not as bad as some people seem to think. By some people I'm referring specifically to those who make their assumptions based on what other people say or based on them seeing Spezza own Souray one on one in a highlight package.

Fact of the matter is that if he was really as bad in his own zone as people claim, he would have been turned into a forward that played the point on the PP.

The best part about our backend is that we actually have someone to make a pass...our forwards aren't that good but at least now we can get them the puck. I'm hoping with our forwards being in the other team's zone more often guys like Torres and Horcoff (and Pisani if he plays at all) find some scoring touch and produce like they can.

The defensive situation as a whole still isn't as bad to me as it is to others, perhaps even to many Oilers fans - the only real defensive cog we lost was Jason Smith. Tjarnqvist and Bergeron were horrible in their own end and there's no way that Souray and Pitkanen will be any worse than those two. Staios will be his usual self and Greene along with Smid will only get better.

My biggest concern is probably in the nets...I actually think Roloson is a good goalie, but he's getting up there in age and last year he went through stretches of terrible inconsistency. We're going to need better goaltending, no question.

Nissan, I think we could go on all day with +/- stats...Koivu was a -21 and he's one of the better 2-way Centres in the NHL. Langkow and Lombardi both had better +/-'s than Yelle, but Yelle's better defensively than either of them by far. I think we're just going to have to wait and see how this one plays out. But thanks for at least providing logical arguments and supporting your opinions instead of the usual, "Oilers fucking suck" comments. It's a nice change.

HyperZell
09-27-2007, 10:02 PM
^Thank you for putting some thought into your response.

You're right when you say that Souray isn't as bad in his own end as a lot of people think. The point that I'm trying to make, however, is the fact that Edmonton seemed to ignore a glaring need of defense and went out to get offensive defensemen. Tarnstrom? Nice. Pitkanen? Whoa. Souray? Overkill. Keep 2 and trade one for some reliability.

oilerfan4lyfe
09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
^^ I would have liked to see Souray and Pitkanen...I don't think there's really a need for Tarnstrom, especially at 2 million. But the Oilers were pretty much committed to signing Tarnstrom even before July 1st hit...I guess KL didn't expect to pick up two more offensive defencemen later on in the offseason.

I agree it is kind of overkill...especially since we have youngsters ready to take on a larger role. Then again last year also taught us that there's no such thing as too much defensive depth.

I'm also pretty sure that KL had no intention of actually signing Souray off the bat, but when Souray couldn't find what he was looking for in California and Montreal wouldn't give him 5 years he decided to pursue other options and ended up in Edmonton. Then there was the whole Nylander situation which would have probably meant no money for Souray even if he did want to come here. Nylander ('s wife) turns down the money so the Oilers say why not spend it on Souray?

HuMz
09-28-2007, 03:49 PM

And you're on a Calgary-centric forum. You'd think you would keep things intelligent and focused, like most of the other Oiler fans in this thread, because the stupidest thing to do would be to start a generic "Oilers Rule, Flames Suck" argument. But then again, I've got the feeling that you're either 14 or retarded, so I guess higher-level (read: common sense) thinking eludes you.

Well without question it is a night and day difference in comparison to last year. We aquired 3 puck moving defenseman which was our biggest weakness which seems like alot, but we also have 3 guys who are more defensive and will match up with them in Staois, Smid, and Greene.

People are putting way too much basis on Souray & Pitkanans +/-.
Souray was a defensive defenseman and a plus player his whole career until last season on a horrible EV Montreal team (The worst in the league I might add).

As for Pitkanen he was playing on the worst team last year playing top minutes as a 23 year old. A season before he scored near a PPG and was regarded in the same breathe as the Phaneufs, J-BO's, and Webers. The kid didn't all of a sudden lose all of his game, he just had a bad sophmore year on the worst team.

My only complaint would be the Tarnstrom signing. I don't think Lowe was planning on landing Souray otherwise he wouldn't have signed him....but I just don't see the need for him. Esspecially when Tom Gilbert is more then ready to step into the 5-6 role with limited PP time.

HyperZell
10-01-2007, 07:59 AM
For the Oiler fans who don't believe me and think their defence is rock-solid:

Defence: Major overall here and mostly for the good. Souray's big shot should create offence for the power play and Tarnstrom can be a decent stay-at-home player. Pitkanen has talent but it's uneven talent and he's especially weak in his own zone. Souray is no stay at home either, so expect the unit to be fairly porous.

Burning Question: Can anyone in an Oilers sweater play defence?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2007/09/26/nhl_northwest_preview/index.php

gonefishing
10-01-2007, 12:36 PM
on a side note Gator was just named the new captain of the Flyers. Good for him and it shows how highly respected he his is not just in Oil country but around the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219645&hubname=nhl

punj_abi
10-01-2007, 12:54 PM
i got a feeling edmontons gonna go a long way, they got nobodies, and something to prove.

fyi i'm not a oilers fan by no means.

oilerfan4lyfe
10-01-2007, 03:30 PM
For the Oiler fans who don't believe me and think their defence is rock-solid:

Defence: Major overall here and mostly for the good. Souray's big shot should create offence for the power play and Tarnstrom can be a decent stay-at-home player. Pitkanen has talent but it's uneven talent and he's especially weak in his own zone. Souray is no stay at home either, so expect the unit to be fairly porous.

Burning Question: Can anyone in an Oilers sweater play defence?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2007/09/26/nhl_northwest_preview/index.php

Sorry Hyper, but quoting Jim Kelley takes away from your argument, it doesn't help it. He's known by most hockey fans to be an absolute idiot when it comes to hockey, muchlike many of the other so called hockey "analysts" sportsnet supposedly has.

HyperZell
10-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe

Sorry Hyper, but quoting Jim Kelley takes away from your argument, it doesn't help it. He's known by most hockey fans to be an absolute idiot when it comes to hockey, muchlike many of the other so called hockey "analysts" sportsnet supposedly has.

Tarnstrom - Defensively, he’s never been much more than adequate, either in Europe or North America.

Souray - Souray is not the most mobile of defensemen and can get caught out of position.

Etc. etc.

It's just common consensus - Edmonton's defence is offensively minded. This means that their defensive play will suffer, unless you think the Oil have a perfect D that can play both offense and defense 100% all of the time.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=337677

oilerfan4lyfe
10-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Tarnstrom - Defensively, he’s never been much more than adequate, either in Europe or North America.

Souray - Souray is not the most mobile of defensemen and can get caught out of position.

Etc. etc.

It's just common consensus - Edmonton's defence is offensively minded. This means that their defensive play will suffer, unless you think the Oil have a perfect D that can play both offense and defense 100% all of the time.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=337677

No one's saying they're perfect Zell, but they're not THAT bad. Staios is good defensively and Matt Greene is quite solid in his own end. Tom Gilbert is a good two-way defenceman and he's still got lots of potential too. Maybe I'm nuts but I truely think that Souray will be okay in his own end - I'm not expecting him to be -30 or whatever like everyone else.

gonefishing
10-04-2007, 02:11 PM
woohoo its finally game day :clap: :clap: :clap: . seems like i have been waiting for this day forever.

JRSC00LUDE
10-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Victory! :clap:

95EagleAWD
10-04-2007, 10:11 PM
:thumbsup:

Haha, right on!!!!

Doozer
10-04-2007, 11:17 PM
I saw tonight a young, fast, team that just looked hungrier than San Jose. It's a good sign if this continues for the season. The whole team looks like they've got their energy back, which already puts them light years ahead where they ended last season.

And perhaps most importantly, I saw solid defense (that final 6-on-4 notwithstanding), with good puck movement out of the defensive zone, and strong backchecking by almost all of the forwards.

Ry_an_6
10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
oilers are absolutely horrible. there team = Ryan smith.

they traded him away and miraculously didnt post a win after it haha.

Mods please close this god damn thread haha:whocares:

:goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

RC-Cola
10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Good win by the Oil tonight, they should have had it in regulation except for the BS holding call on Souray with 1:30 left in the third.

Again for the clown above, go home and find another thread to bitch about. You don't like the team fine, make intelligent comments or don't waste everyone's time.

BTW too bad the Flames didn't show up in their home opener and lost in regulation to the worst team in the league last year. Especially on that coughed up goal by the D with 1:20 left... nice defence... :rofl:

C4S
10-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah .. good start !!

Lots of young gun .. lots of energy !!

And yes .. this is the Oilers thread .. for those oil haters from Calgary .. they can go to their own thread .. I won't ruin the flames' thread at all!! Show Respect! :)

( but I do miss Ryan Smyth .. :( )

95EagleAWD
10-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Ry_an_6

Hey, Clown, I happen to remember being at the Saddledome for your 06-07 season finale and watching the Oilers beat the Flames.

GTFO.

And yes, I miss Ryan Smyth too.... :(

calgarygts
10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Was anyone else really dissapointed with Pitkanen? He had some really horrible giveaways on the PP and just plain bad passing. I was getting flashbacks of Bergeron.
Everyone else looked pretty good, I love watching Hemsky when he makes up his mind to go through everyone.

gonefishing
10-05-2007, 11:55 AM
was kinda dissapointed in Penner's play last night. just seemed like he wasn't trying vey hard to me but i guess he's not use to so many minutes and is pacing himself.

oilerfan4lyfe
10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't know what to do know...

Listening to hockey "analysts" I thought we were going to go 0-82. I'm shocked!

;)

Nissanaddict
10-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Ry_an_6

If you're going to bash the Oilers, be a little more creative. If you don't feel like being creative, at least take a quick course in spelling. I have no idea how you manage to spell 'miraculous' if you don't even know which 'there' to use. To add something about Pitkanen, from all accounts, I've heard he's a smart defenseman, who skates like Al Iafrate, but has the work ethic of Alexei Yashin. If he ever fixes that, he's gonna be a stud.

HyperZell
10-05-2007, 04:55 PM

If you're going to bash the Oilers, be a little more creative. If you don't feel like being creative, at least take a quick course in spelling. I have no idea how you manage to spell 'miraculous' if you don't even know which 'there' to use. To add something about Pitkanen, from all accounts, I've heard he's a smart defenseman, who skates like Al Iafrate, but has the work ethic of Alexei Yashin. If he ever fixes that, he's gonna be a stud.

Nissanaddict likes spelling more than he hates the Oilers. I'm not so sure I agree, but I don't usually make base errors anyways. Now, intelligently bashing the Oilers - there's something I can go along with.

Pitkanen - I like him. He was good in Philly and he'll only get better. He needs a veteran defenseman with him, someone who is responsible and won't hamper him. He'll learn, but I would love to have him on the Flames any day.

SneakyNeek
10-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I think Edm is going to be the Pittsburgh of last year haha:D

cant wait to watch the game tonight

Chrome Dragon
10-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm a fan of the Oilers, but realistically I'll be surprised if they manage to scrape into the playoffs. There is definitely promise in the team, but they are not going to go very far this year.

Nissanaddict
10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
What's wrong with the Oilers? (And no, I'm not here to bash) but this thread hasn't moved in nearly a week. Coincidentally after a few losses. I heard the powerplay's bad, but is anything else wrong? How are the new guys looking?

HyperZell
10-14-2007, 08:23 PM
They're getting lit up, like I thought they would. They need to buckle down on defense!

kertejud
10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
I heard the powerplay's bad, but is anything else wrong? How are the new guys looking?

Upon a glance the players they needed to lead the team are playing like shit (Hemsky, Stoll and Torres), they don't have a shut-down d-man, half their team can't drink in the States and their coach is an idiot.

To cap it all off, Anaheim gets their first three picks. :rofl:

Doozer
10-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by kertejud

half their team can't drink in the States
I'm an Oilers fan, and I started laughing out loud when I read that part. It almost makes the losing bearable when you realize it's just a bunch of young kids.

HuMz
10-14-2007, 08:54 PM
What's wrong with the Oilers? (And no, I'm not here to bash) but this thread hasn't moved in nearly a week. Coincidentally after a few losses. I heard the powerplay's bad, but is anything else wrong? How are the new guys looking?

New guys have been alright, young guys have been amazing. Biggest problem has been the core guys are all off to a bad start. I missed the game last night but they played really well against Vancouver on friday and the only real difference was Goaltending...Garon let in 3 goals on 11 shots I think it was.

Its way too early to act like the sky is falling, they have 4 days off so that should hopefuly get them to come together a bit more and create some chemistry.

Nissanaddict
10-14-2007, 11:15 PM
That anaheim picks thing is rather funny....don't they have Anaheim's pick from the Pronger trade too? So basically, if the Ducks place top 10, the Oilers get worse than a 20th round pick, yet as long as the Oilers tank, the Ducks can win another cup and get a top 5....that's beautiful.

gonefishing
10-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Just heard on the team1260 that Souray is out for 3-4 weeks with a seperated shoulder. Apparently he got it from the fight with Ritchie. FAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oilerfan4lyfe
10-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah - fucking Canucks argh...I can't believe Souray blew his shoulder pounding on a useless piece of shit like Ritchie...he should have at least made it count by beating up one of the sisters or something...sorry I'm just very angry right now.

As for what's wrong, our PP has been horrendous, our proven players have proven nothing and our coach is making very stupid decisions - like pulling Brodziak out of the lineup, never keeping a line together for more than one game, putting Sam Gagner on a checking line, etc.

I really hope we turn this around tomorrow in Phoenix - we could really use the momentum to carry into the BoA Saturday.

DelSoln
10-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Not surprising. The guy has had a history of shoulder problems.

Nissanaddict
10-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Good ol' Byron....kinda miss the shit-disturbing factor on the Flames....don't miss the easily frustrated factor though.

Euro838
10-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by gonefishing
was kinda dissapointed in Penner's play last night. just seemed like he wasn't trying vey hard to me but i guess he's not use to so many minutes and is pacing himself.

Well, what can you really expect from a $1 Million player? I thought Kevin Lowe was smart by going after Vanek as he's got a lot more potential but Penner does not fit in with the Oiler's style of play.

bamboo403
10-22-2007, 12:21 PM
wow tough break on saturday...

:goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

gonefishing
10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
return of #94 tonight. i may have to shed some tears NOT!

oilerfan4lyfe
10-23-2007, 04:48 PM
I think there's going to be a lot more boos than people are expecting...

Nissanaddict
10-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Man, if the team I was a fan of, played a tribute to a player, who left on those terms, and signed with a different team in the division, and ALMOST signed with THE enemy team....I'd be pissed. Wait till he retires Edmonton. That's embarrassing, and makes the battle of Alberta look more like David vs. Goliath....except without that bullshit ending of the bible version.

rmk
10-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Always the classy city Edmonton is, they are fucking booing Ryan Smyth :thumbsdow Honestly, those people should be touched that someone who left that shithole is shedding tears because he misses the place.

SneakyNeek
10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Always the classy city Edmonton is, they are fucking booing Ryan Smyth :thumbsdow Honestly, those people should be touched that someone who left that shithole is shedding tears because he misses the place.

wtf do you expect. he doesent play for them anemore, telling me there posed to cheer for the other team.

fuck even gretsky got booed after a 4 min standing ovation.

95EagleAWD
10-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by rmk

Fuck off.

We know what you think about Edmonton, let it die. Nobody that lives here gives a shit.

HuMz
10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Fuck off.

We know what you think about Edmonton, let it die. Nobody that lives here gives a shit.

:werd: he clearly has no idea how it went down otherwise he'd understand the boos.

oilerfan4lyfe
10-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by rmk

You're a fucking idiot...they didn't boo him, instead they gave him one of the best ovations you'll ever see.

And yeah they're so classy that they pay tribute to their former players by giving them video tributes despite the players still playing in the NHL against them.

Learn what the fuck you're talking about before you make yourself look like a giant douche...oh wait, too late.

Anyways getting back to the thread - Pitkanen and Souray both out for extended periods of time and at the same time...I swear we have the worst luck.

HyperZell
10-24-2007, 07:11 PM

You're a fucking idiot...they didn't boo him, instead they gave him one of the best ovations you'll ever see.

And yeah they're so classy that they pay tribute to their former players by giving them video tributes despite the players still playing in the NHL against them.

Learn what the fuck you're talking about before you make yourself look like a giant douche...oh wait, too late.

Anyways getting back to the thread - Pitkanen and Souray both out for extended periods of time and at the same time...I swear we have the worst luck.

Lol, are you sure? Pitkanen has 2 points and is a -4...it doesn't sound like the biggest loss to me.

Come on guys, you gotta admit it now - the Oilers D is like Swiss cheese.

SneakyNeek
10-24-2007, 07:34 PM
at least he could get the puck out are zone and make a pass for a rush.

we look like a bunch of irish drunken dancers out there without Pita and Sour

rmk
10-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Hit a nerve, eh?

:rofl:

SneakyNeek
10-26-2007, 12:11 PM
yay HEMSKY!:D

oilerfan4lyfe
10-26-2007, 06:54 PM
WOW Hemmer was awesome yesterday...and yet he got the least amount of points on his line hehe

rmk
10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
WOW Hemmer was awesome yesterday...and yet he got the least amount of points on his line hehe

Hey, that player Kevin Lowe was too cheap to keep on roster ($200,000 IIRC) just won the game for Colorado against Calgary.

GO EDMONTON LOL

SneakyNeek
10-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by rmk

Hey, that player Kevin Lowe was too cheap to keep on roster ($200,000 IIRC) just won the game for Colorado against Calgary.

GO EDMONTON LOL

haha good.

GO CALGARY! lolololololololol:thumbsdow

oilerfan4lyfe
10-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by rmk

GO EDMONTON LOL

I think you probably could have scored that goal after the unbelievable pass from Sakic...

Lets see in 2 years if he's worth his contract ;)

hjr
10-27-2007, 06:26 PM

I think you probably could have scored that goal after the unbelievable pass from Sakic...

Lets see in 2 years if he's worth his contract ;) he is, you are a douche

95EagleAWD
10-27-2007, 07:17 PM

Lets see in 2 years if he's worth his contract ;)

If you're talking about Smyth.... Lowe was an idiot to trade him.

We're paying Dustin Fucking Penner what we could be paying Smytty, and that's the stupidest thing I'ver ever seen. Penner will probably notch maybe 30 points this year. Smyth? 50+ easy.

We should have paid Smyth whatever he wanted. He's 10 times the player Penner is.

bluetek
10-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh man Oilers are getting rocked. Maybe they'll make a comeback. :dunno:

Nissanaddict
10-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Smyth is not worth the money he's making, but he'd definitely still fit into Edmonton and not look bad at a 5.75 millionish contract (when you factor in free agents available, and which ones would actually wanna go there....definitely the most willing candidate). Dustin Penner? 1000% raise? Yipes.

oilerfan4lyfe
10-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

If you're talking about Smyth.... Lowe was an idiot to trade him.

We're paying Dustin Fucking Penner what we could be paying Smytty, and that's the stupidest thing I'ver ever seen. Penner will probably notch maybe 30 points this year. Smyth? 50+ easy.

We should have paid Smyth whatever he wanted. He's 10 times the player Penner is.

I agree that we gave Dustin Penner too much of Smyth's money...I'd much rather have Smyth at 5.5 or even 5.75 Mill this year than have Penner at 4.25.

Smyth won't be worth his contract in a couple of years though - I just hope Penner will be. And for those of you that will argue that he only makes 4.5 Mill in his last year...well yeah but he's also making 7.5 this year - more than Thornton or Iginla.

I really wish Buffalo hadn't matched the Vanek offer - that would have been perfect for us.

95EagleAWD
10-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Holy fucking Gagner.... what a goal in the shootout!

Nissanaddict
10-28-2007, 11:31 PM
I saw that Gagner goal a few minutes ago on the highlights. DAMN nice! Sure he can't pull fancy LaCrosse goals like Schremp, but he can play actual hockey.
:thumbsup:

SneakyNeek
10-28-2007, 11:39 PM
that was an awsome game.

sick goal by gagner

yay Hemsky again:D

gonefishing
11-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Fucking Grebs is bad d-man. Guys reminds me of MAB. killed any hope we had of tieing the game last night with that bonehead give away. But with all of our injuries i guess were stuck with him for awhile.

Doozer
11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Yup, Grebs has made some BAD plays. That wasn't the first game he's made those kind of bad plays. Remember back a couple games where he had his BACK facing the other team's net at THEIR blueline, tried to backhand it into the zone and got stripped? Ridiculous. I guess that's what happens when our 4th-liners are having to play 1st line minutes.

SneakyNeek
11-11-2007, 05:11 PM
good win :clap:

gonefishing
11-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Big win for the boys. looks like the PP is turning around can't wait for #44 to get back in the line up.

oilerfan4lyfe
11-12-2007, 12:44 PM
^^^ Yep, I agree - if we can stay close to a playoff spot till some of our big boys get back in the lineup we might have a legit chance to make it.

This team really needs Moreau back though - for someone who doesn't contribute very much offensively he's quite a big part of our team.

Looks like Souray should be back in a week or so which outta help bigtime.

Horcoff and Hemsky have pretty much taken over - gotta be impressed with Horc - the guy takes a ton of crap from Oilers fans and the media tellin him he's not a #1 centre but he goes out there and works his ass off every night even if he doesn't have the skill to be one.

SneakyNeek
11-14-2007, 09:47 PM
screw roloson

trade him away this garon character is gunna take numba 1

SneakyNeek
11-14-2007, 11:39 PM
gotta love hemmer

Nissanaddict
11-15-2007, 12:36 AM
I think Garon will supplant Roloson quickly. I think he was playing way over his head. He is easily annoyed, and imagine having Holmstrom in front of him for 4 games a year, and Smyth in his face another 8. That'll shatter him completely.

That is all on 5-Holoson. As far as Horcoff, he has re-vitalized himself for sure. Looks a ton better than he did last year.

C4S
11-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Happy that they play well, not play their best yet ..

Expecting return of Souray, Pitkanen and Pisani!!! :D

oilerfan4lyfe
11-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Souray should be back if not tonight then tomorrow against Calgary :)

Roli better have a good game tonight or he's gunna be sitting on the bench a lot more than he's been used to.

Okay...so nevermind because apparently Souray is "out indefinately"

Wow this is brutal...

Kimchee
11-21-2007, 08:51 AM
another nice shoot one win by the oilers...even though we were up 2-0 and 3-1!!!!....gagner made a nice move in he shootout, and hemmers goal was awesome...i can't believe sanderson was in the shootout though.......:eek:

hopefully we can have another strong game this thursday

SneakyNeek
11-21-2007, 06:36 PM
gotta love hemmer

SneakyNeek
11-25-2007, 02:54 AM
wow wut a shoot out goal by Sam GGGG

Doozer
11-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Wow, shootout domination again.

I'm happy that the Oilers seem to finally have found at least one strength, but holy Jebus, I'd feel a lot better about the team if they could win a fucking game in regulation!

oilerfan4lyfe
11-25-2007, 02:35 PM
^^ x2 Doozer...

Holy shit Gagner in the shootout...it's like a goalie knows exactly what he's going to do but they still get mesmerized by his lightning fast hands.