PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Rub

sexualbanana
09-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I got a set of 19" Axis Pentas at the beginning of the season, they're wider than my stock wheels at 9.5".

I'm getting wheel rub when I go over bumps. Most notably when I put people in my backseat. The strange part is; It only seems to be rubbing on one side, the rear passenger side. I'm only getting the occasional wheel rub on the rear driver side, even when there's weight on that side.

I've considered rolling the fenders because it appears it's rubbing barely on the outside of the fender (another .5" and it may not rub anymore), but I don't want to risk the paint if I don't have to.

Any suggestions?

teggypimp95
09-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Get smaller wheels? 19's on a civic is Ridiculous

nismodrifter
09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

Incorrect. 19 x 9.5 or 18 x 9.5 = same diameter. Increased wheel size = skinner tire. Smaller wheel = fatter tire. Overall diameter is same.

I'm guessing its for a BMW?

If I was you I'd stretch the rear tires (get narrower rear tires, ie: if normally you run a 235/35/19 then switch to a 225). The whole purpose of stretching tires is to allow you to run wider wheels + lower stance without the issues of rubbing. It will give you that little bit of extra room that you need to avoid major rubbing on the outer edge of the fender. Running 9.5's in the rear is not the most practical setup for day to day use anyways. I bet it will still rub....just not as much.

On my 9.5's I am running 255/35 and it's stretched a little bit. My wheels are wayyy outside of the fender but the actual tread is inside the fender. I can't carry any passengers...and my tires melt like crazy when I carry groceries but that's the price you have to pay to join the wide wheel club. :D

Some more details would help. Tire size + brand that you are running? How much are you dropped?

CivicDXR
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

:rofl: He doesn't have his civic anymore...

You need to update your profile Gav...

And nismo is right, either get a stretch tire, roll the fenders, or different offset. Kinda weird that it only rubs on one side though... :dunno:

arian_ma
09-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Would a bit of neg camber help?

euro_racer
09-26-2007, 06:55 PM
do you have suspension work done? if your using coilovers maybe one side is higher than other by a bit or maybe your springs sagged if you have factory suspension.

like it was mentioned before only thing you can do is roll or stretch, i myself have 9 inch wheels all around with tires being 205, i have alot of stretch and barley any rubbing iussues

tirebob
09-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Rubbing only on one side is not that uncommon. If you have ever tagged a pothole or whatever, the components could have shifted ever so slightly which may be enough to cause this. I even see new cars where one side touchs a bit and the other side not. If only takes a c-hair to make a difference...

rc2002
09-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Exactly. I had rubbing issues on only one side when I went with too wide a wheel/tire too. I used a fender roller and it solved the problem, but some paint did flake off. I would recommend getting new wheels or narrower tires if you don't want to risk the paint.

JRSC00LUDE
09-27-2007, 11:38 AM
^

How do you think 215/45/17 are going to work on my car richard?

(hijack sally, sorry)

rc2002
09-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Should be fine. Depends more on the offset and width of the wheel - try for a 7.5" with +48/50 offset. You can run 225 and lower and still not have any problems.

sexualbanana
09-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

:rofl: He doesn't have his civic anymore...

You need to update your profile Gav...

And nismo is right, either get a stretch tire, roll the fenders, or different offset. Kinda weird that it only rubs on one side though... :dunno:

Haha. Forgot to change that part. :banghead:

Thanks for the tips guys

blinkme_210
09-28-2007, 01:20 AM
I know what the problem is. I don't know which BMW you have exactly, but all newer BMW's are higher on the driver side than the passenger side. Same deal on my E60. BMW raised the driver side by a few mm's to compensate for the weight of the driver when in the vehicle. You may find the passenger side only rubbing sometimes, because the gas tank is located on the right side. Hence, as the gas is used up, there is less compression on the passenger side springs. Conversely, the springs are compressed more with a full tank.