PDA

View Full Version : Workout Routine Question

Speedy
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey,

I am trying to help a friend of mine who also happens to be a hot girl.

She is looking for a workout routine to help tone up and lose 10 pounds. She is already in great shape and has a good cardio routine down.

I really want to help her out, but I am don't go to the gym enough as I am a self proclaimed NERD.

I have been searching the net but haven't really found anything helpful! Does anyone here know of any sites or has some ready made plans that would help her?

BrknFngrs
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
I would really suggest looking at routines from Chad Waterbury. He puts a lot of focus on muscle building routines but I know he has some for toning/losing too. I've used his routines and they are top notch.

pyro
09-26-2007, 03:34 PM
tell her to call me ill get her into great shape :rofl:

but serioulsy id tell her to do low weight and higher reps
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
good site shows alot of diffrent workouts

Speedy
09-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks! I am assuming I can find them online easily??

mago0
09-26-2007, 03:46 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=643686
chad waterburys workouts

1-Bar
09-26-2007, 10:52 PM
a better diet/new program will probably be a faster way to shed 10 then weight training alone.

writhen
09-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Ok, listen carefully and she'll lose 10 pounds in about a month.

Firstly, diet. Eat only things that are from the soil, ie fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, etc. Nothing that has been processed such as any fast food, etc. Use your head with this one, I'm not saying go on an insane diet, but eat clean.

The better fruits and veggies are carrots, celery, radish, lettuce, spinach, been sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, green beens, onions, grapefruit, apples, any berries, and bananas just to name a few.

Stick to white meats, red meats aren't horrible but white meats are better. So chicken, turkey, any form of fish. Again, the more natural the better. Therefore a grilled fillet of fish is better than a can of tuna. As stated above, use your common sense.

Next, have a large breakfast, a substantial lunch, and a large supper. By large I don't mean overeating, or fatty foods, just a meal that will fill between 3/4 and all of your stomach. In between these three major meals have small snacks. Good examples of these are a granola bar with an apple, or a bag of carrots, or celery sticks and fat free dip. Be sure to be eating every 2 hours or so, remember to not overeat, but don't under-eat either. Eat till you're full but eat frequently to keep your metabolism up.

Secondly, exercise. No matter what anyone tells you if you want to lose fat, drop the weights and hit the track. Cardio is the only way to shed those extra pounds. High rep/light weight workouts do help with fat loss, but they don't hold a candle to cardio. Now don't just do long, mediocre paced cardio either, Google up HIIT cardio and learn how to do it. Incorporate it into your routine. This method (High Intensity Interval Training) has helped me shed about 20 pounds in about 2.5 months and is acclaimed buy a ton of experts.

The basic point of HIIT is to keep your heart rate fluctuating which is pivotal to burning fat as opposed to a combination of fat and muscle (which is what regular, medium intensity, long duration cardio does). So jump on a treadmill and warm up for 3-5 min. Then, start jogging at 70% of your maximum capacity. After 60 seconds, increase your speed or the incline of the treadmill to the point where it feels like you cant go any harder (so 100% of your capacity). Keep running at 100% for 30 seconds, then switch back to 70% for 60 seconds, and repeat the process. You have just performed once cycle of HIIT. For the first couple of days only do 3-4 cycles, after that start bumping it up by 1 cycle every day or two.

Also remember that if you find cardio boring like me, you can switch the method of cardio around. For example, do 10 min on the bikes, 10 min on the rowing machine, 10 min on the eliptical, and 5 min of skipping rope. Fell free to experiment. Try to do your cardio for as long as you can until you feel somewhat drained. After the first week you'll start to notice that you can go on for longer and longer.

When I started I could only do 5 min of HIIT. Now I can do about an hour comfortabley. I hope this helped, don't take my word for this stuff, look it up if you doubt my credibility. Hopefully your friend can stick to this and achieve her 10 pound goal! :thumbsup:

PS: Don't get me wrong, doing weights while losing weight only helps but cardio is king. And Chad's workouts are awesome, although it might be a little much for someone who's just looking to shed a couple pounds.

fastball
10-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Tell her to try Pilates... my friend does it and she looks great.. have her check out http://www.findyourdetour.com for some great tips

Speedy
10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks! The site looks very informative.

citylimits
10-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I mix up my cardio so I am working different muscles each time. The rowing machine has been really good for toning my butt/thighs/back. I will do about 20-30 mins of cardio and then 20-30 mins of weights.

Since girls tend to have the most problem around the hips and waist, work in a lot of different kids of crunches and weight lifting that will target those side muscles, not just abs. Also, cutting out soda (even diet) and drinks like Vitamin Water that are loaded with sugar will help A LOT. Those make your stomach bloat a bit...which is probably something that she is trying to fix.

Speedy
10-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks! This is all great advice!