PDA

View Full Version : Benz boys

3G
07-06-2003, 02:23 PM
hi, im looking into getting a 300E..like an 87 model..how much do these things go for??are they reliable and are they good for a daily driver?

i saw one go for 4 grand at an auction lasttime..it had around 215 km..im thinking something was wrong with it??

thanks

nismodrifter
07-06-2003, 02:28 PM
I don't know about you but I have rarely seen a pre-90 in decent condition

I am looking to get either a 92 or 93 and prices can range from 10-17k depending on mileage and the overall condition the car is in

but then...I am also double minded since I love 126's so much....I think I might just have to go with a 91 s-class for that price:D

Redlyne_mr2
07-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
hi, im looking into getting a 300E..like an 87 model..how much do these things go for??are they reliable and are they good for a daily driver?

i saw one go for 4 grand at an auction lasttime..it had around 215 km..im thinking something was wrong with it??

thanks
I was looking at getting one before I bought my other car. Illl give my bit of info before ZorroAMG (the 300E expert comes on). The headgaskets are notorious for leakign on these cars which may have been why that 300E was so cheap, other than that they are extremely reliable cars with engines that will last hundreds of thousands of KM's I may still buy one myself. They tend to go for anywhere between 8-16K in the Alberta market depending on condition. Parts arent super cheap for these cars and I believe they also require premium so you need to have some decent cahs coming in to keep the car well maintained and on the road

nismodrifter
07-06-2003, 08:55 PM
on the topic of 300E's....saw a custom blue one today. Re-painted with a custom bright blue color, dumped, wheels, exhaust and unfortunately had clear lights

didn't see it up close but maybe like 100m away

anyone got more info on this car?

ZorroAMG
07-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Redlyne, you have the most common prob of the M103 Engine nailed! ;) Head Gasket and valve seals are the most common, then there is Radiator neck(plastic on older models) that cracks...new units are metal...check ac blower motor, steering box for leaks, belt, belt tensioner...I know many of the quirks of these cars having owned a 1989 and my current 1990...if you require additional info, I can help. The engine on the 300E is bullet proof once the gasket is done (a $1200 job). Check that all the power accessories work. You will get what you pay for with regards to the W124. I paid top dollar for mine because it had 120K and the exterior is near flawless. I am looking at a 1992 500E (w124) and will pay $45K for it....but that's another story :D

E36M3
07-07-2003, 02:32 PM
You're going to pay 45k for a car from 1992? You are plum loco. You could get a million others cars with zero down on a lease that would be much better than an old 500E (not that they aren't awesome).

Just my two cents.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Redlyne, you have the most common prob of the M103 Engine nailed! ;) Head Gasket and valve seals are the most common, then there is Radiator neck(plastic on older models) that cracks...new units are metal...check ac blower motor, steering box for leaks, belt, belt tensioner...I know many of the quirks of these cars having owned a 1989 and my current 1990...if you require additional info, I can help. The engine on the 300E is bullet proof once the gasket is done (a $1200 job). Check that all the power accessories work. You will get what you pay for with regards to the W124. I paid top dollar for mine because it had 120K and the exterior is near flawless. I am looking at a 1992 500E (w124) and will pay $45K for it....but that's another story :D

rage2
07-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
You're going to pay 45k for a car from 1992? You are plum loco. You could get a million others cars with zero down on a lease that would be much better than an old 500E (not that they aren't awesome).

Just my two cents.
:rofl:

500E's are cool... back in 1992. Just like how 944's were cool... back in 1986 :).

nismodrifter
07-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Zorro: William Shatner has his 500E up for sale on Ebay...comes with an autograph anywhere in the car :D

you could probably buy it and make some money by then selling it to some star trek freak :rofl:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421828764&category=6332

ZorroAMG
07-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Hey Nis, that bright blue Benzo you saw was most likely the royal blue metallic 190E with an EVOII body kit and the clear tails. Good looking exterior, too bad the car is a POS mechanically and the interior is shite!! The speedo says 180Km/hr so I am guessing it is one of the earlier 190E's 1985 maybe....uggh! Pimp bodywork though:D

Rage, 944's are still cool ;) much like their siblings the 500E....

Alpine Autowerks
07-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Great car, simple reliable. 1/2 the parts a cheap. other 1/2 are well...Benz priced. 94 - 95 e320 has got to be the best sedan ever built on this planet.

saw that blue 190E the other night, thougt it was a diesel but when I got closer I think it was the belt trnsioner knocking.

nismodrifter
07-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
94 - 95 e320 has got to be the best sedan ever built on this planet.

I'd have to disagree with that....are you basing this on anything specific or do you just REALLY like them ?? :D :D

ZorroAMG
07-19-2003, 01:40 AM
The M104 engine, although more powerful, is nowhere near as reliable as the M103, the 1986-1992 300E is the most bulletproof, but I do agree, the W124 is the best overall sedan, way over-engineered much like the last supra.

E36M3
07-19-2003, 03:27 AM
You're getting scammed if you pay 45k. I've been watching classifieds here for 500Es, and you can get them with relatively low mileage (30k miles) for about 15k USD in California. With the current conversion rate, that is well under 20k CDN for a really clean, low mileage example.

I still think you are crazy for even considering paying 45k for one though. You might be able to get a 2003 BMW 325ci for that, and it would run circles around it (overall, not meant to be flamebait).

ZorroAMG
07-19-2003, 10:39 AM
E36, thanks for the imput man, I know 500E's run for 15-20 US but actually getting one from US to here would wind up costing me 30,000 Canadian. The thought of me paying 45K for an 11 year old car is ridiculous, the only reason why I would consider it is because it has about 25K in Renntech and other mods. While realizing you cannot expect to get the cost of mods when selling your car, for me to take one in the same running condition from the states, turn it into the one I am looking at, I would EASILY have to spend 30K in mods...I kid you not....this car is TITS!!!

With regard to the 325ci, I realize I could get a new one that would be quicker and more agile, but nothing BMW (or MB) could put out today can match the power, build quality, exclusiveness (1500 sold to NA in 2.5 yrs) and muscle for 45K Canadian that a W124 500E could! That being said, I'll offer him 35 and see where it goes..but you should see the mod list, impressive!

Ben
07-19-2003, 10:42 AM
E36, thanks for the imput man, I know 500E's run for 15-20 US but actually getting one from US to here would wind up costing me 30,000 Canadian. The thought of me paying 45K for an 11 year old car is ridiculous, the only reason why I would consider it is because it has about 25K in Renntech and other mods. While realizing you cannot expect to get the cost of mods when selling your car, for me to take one in the same running condition from the states, turn it into the one I am looking at, I would EASILY have to spend 30K in mods...I kid you not....this car is TITS!!!

With regard to the 325ci, I realize I could get a new one that would be quicker and more agile, but nothing BMW (or MB) could put out today can match the power, build quality, exclusiveness (1500 sold to NA in 2.5 yrs) and muscle for 45K Canadian that a W124 500E could! That being said, I'll offer him 35 and see where it goes..but you should see the mod list, impressive!

AH!!!

I absolutly love that car man!

I have always loved the Presige of it whenever I see one in movies or on the road.

You gotta take me for a rip if you buy that beast.:) :thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
07-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Anytime my friend, as long as you get some good shots of it!!

Ben
07-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Anytime my friend, as long as you get some good shots of it!!

Deal, Moving ones, those cars look sooo god damn good when in motion!:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

E36M3
07-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Trust me, I understand about shelling out for unique vehicles.. I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing :)

I've seen a couple 500Es in the last week or so parked on the street, and I gotta admit that they are the ultimate sleeper. Much more so than M5s or E55s. I saw a relatively modified (but subtle looking) one with Lorinser rims and exhaust, as well as some interior and very subtle exterior mods, and it looked fantastic.

Good luck on it.

Hakkola
07-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by E36M3
I saw a relatively modified (but subtle looking) one with Lorinser rims and exhaust, as well as some interior and very subtle exterior mods, and it looked fantastic.

This gorgeous brown girl drives that I think, lives by me, I'm blessed with being able to see that car drive by me every couple days. So hot. I want a 500E so bad.

Ohh, Zorro, for new headlight lense for my E320, $440, but if I get two Euro's it's $670, I thought Euro's would be more expensive, not cheaper??? Are the Euro's the same as the 500e's headlights?? Seemed like the guys at Mercedes shop didn't even know that both cars had different lights.

Yes, w124's are the best.

E36M3
07-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Actually, they were in San Francisco :) Seems like they are all out for the summer or something.. I think I heard that they brought in like 600 of them to the U.S., so it is quite fun to see them.

Originally posted by Hakkola

This gorgeous brown girl drives that I think, lives by me, I'm blessed with being able to see that car drive by me every couple days. So hot. I want a 500E so bad.

Ohh, Zorro, for new headlight lense for my E320, $440, but if I get two Euro's it's $670, I thought Euro's would be more expensive, not cheaper??? Are the Euro's the same as the 500e's headlights?? Seemed like the guys at Mercedes shop didn't even know that both cars had different lights.

nismodrifter
07-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

meh.....w126 ownz jooo

:D :D

I am trying my best to get my own 126 by next year.....it will be a rare one though so finding one in good condition from the USA is going to be HARD....but in the end it will be well worth it:thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
07-19-2003, 01:31 PM
LOL W126 OWNZ the garage J/K they are solid too :D

Hakk, get the headlights for the 1994 EURO E500, they are different form yours, different from mine and different from 500E500 US spec...the EURO E500 are the best headlights...if you need new ones...get those ONLY!! Trust me.

E36M3, yeah you bastards have all the pimp rides down there ;) I have made quite a few acquaintances over the net with 500E500 owners and other benzo enthusiasts down in cali...I think a cruise there is in order when I get my 500...we should meet up and hit the Benzo GTG's...

Hakkola
07-19-2003, 01:38 PM
you put your rims on yet?

E36M3
07-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Sounds good. We had the G500, a CL600, SL55, ML500, S500 all at a party a couple weeks back. Quite a benz gathering. It is much easier to find nice BMWs in Cali though.

LOL W126 OWNZ the garage J/K they are solid too :D

Hakk, get the headlights for the 1994 EURO E500, they are different form yours, different from mine and different from 500E500 US spec...the EURO E500 are the best headlights...if you need new ones...get those ONLY!! Trust me.

E36M3, yeah you bastards have all the pimp rides down there ;) I have made quite a few acquaintances over the net with 500E500 owners and other benzo enthusiasts down in cali...I think a cruise there is in order when I get my 500...we should meet up and hit the Benzo GTG's...