PDA

View Full Version : So, I hit a taxi today.

punky
09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Today at around 8:50AM, I was driving East bound bowtrail, i was on the turning lane turning on to sacree trail heading towards C.O.P. Just then some taxi cut right into my lane. He passed his chance to turn in long before that. I tried to pull away but i couldnt intime. So i hit the side of his rear bumper and the side fender on my car is totally fucked. I'm totally unsure how they'll decide whose fault it is. I filed a police report already, but the problem is i couldn't grab any witness. If you or someone you know might have witnessed it today PLEASE PLEASE let me know. Or if you have any suggestion that'll be great.

[] ' []
[] ' []
[M ]*[TAXI ]
' '
' '

jdm_eg6
09-26-2007, 06:43 PM
if ur side is struck, its most likely his fault. It may also be judged a 50/50.. I would fight the case for a 100% his fault verdict though. Good luck!

punky
09-26-2007, 06:57 PM
thanks for the advice, i surely need them.

G-ZUS
09-26-2007, 07:00 PM
God damn taxis :thumbsdow

USHER
09-26-2007, 07:08 PM
cab drivers here are such bad drivers

JustinGTP
09-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, your thread title "So, I hit a taxi today," doesn't help you with your case. Is that just to attract attention? It places blame on yourself though. Anyways, good luck! We all know that most taxi driver's can't drive!

punky
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
well they're damn reckless thats the thing.
Anyone familiar with the procedure? Now that i filed the report, should i call the insurance company? or wait for police to get back to me first?

Weapon_R
09-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Call your insurance company! Don't worry about the police.

ScottysZ
09-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Sounds like the same thing that happened to my younger brother last year, cabbie sideswiped him. Somehow it came to a 50/50 though. Shitty payin for your own car when someone else screws you over. Good luck though man, so many cabbies drive like idiots.

theken
09-26-2007, 08:17 PM
i fucking hate cabs more then anything in the entire world, i would rather walk home then be in a fucking cab

punky
09-26-2007, 08:26 PM
its not the first time i've been side swiped by a cab, but its the first time i can't stop intime. It was because it's down hill, and maxima's brakes + weight = disaster.
Thanks for the tips guys, i'll call insurance tomorow, and will update you guys.

2EFNFAST
09-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by theken
i fucking hate cabs more then anything in the entire world, i would rather walk home then be in a fucking cab

Sure you would :rolleyes:

Donmega
09-27-2007, 01:29 AM

stupidest thing ever

R!zz0
09-27-2007, 01:57 AM

I sure like to see you walk home in -40 below, while i'll be in a warm cab waving goodbye to you. :rolleyes:

Zero102
09-27-2007, 03:41 AM
Besides, with the cab drivers that are out there, you aren't even safe on the sidewalk. Might as well be in the big metal box instead of under it.

Originally posted by R!zz0

I sure like to see you walk home in -40 below, while i'll be in a warm cab waving goodbye to you. :rolleyes:

For the OP, good luck, it will almost definitely end 50/50, and you will then forever feel bitter about cab drivers and their driving habits. No witnesses + side swipe = 50/50 unless the cabbie fesses up, which since his insurance will go up if he does, he likely will not do.

punky
09-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Would my insurance goes up if its a 50/50?
Anyone whose family live in the sw. and travel on bowtrail, if you saw the accident please let me know. thank you.

ScottysZ
09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
If you claim it im pretty sure it will since you would technically be at least partially at fault. Probably better to just pay it out of the pocket.

dharminder
09-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Sorry to hear about what happened. Your insurance may or may not go up just depends on your insurance provider and what they offer. i.e ING lets you slide if you get a ticket I think could be wrong one a year or one every other year. Best bet is to talk to your insurance provider.

Jayson
09-27-2007, 09:07 AM
i had the same type of accident happen to me a couple years ago...

I was headed east bound on Crowchild trail headed to Mount Royal, coming through Kensington. I was in the Far right lane (the one that goes to Memorial) . So the light turns green and there are like 5 cars in front of me, right at kensington road and crowchild trail intersection. So as i proceed through the intersection, this CRV coming from kensington road from the west side decides to ignore the yeild and jump right in front of me as i'm passing through the intersection. She was trying to get southbound on crowchild. I don't know what she was thinking maybe she thought she could squeeze inbetween me and the car in front of me... but there was maybe a car and a half in front of me...

Anyways so needless to say i hit her rear bumper, my passenger side front hit her driver's side rear bumper and part of her wheel well... now normally they say that all rear end accidents are the fault of the person in the rear, but because i hit her bumper on the right side and part of her rear wheel well they deemed it her fault. But this was after some arguing... She had admitted fault at the scene, but after consulting her insurance company they told her that it was my fault. So what i did was called her adjuster directly and explained the circumstances and at first he was a dick and wouldn't talk to me, telling me that he had to talk to my adjuster.. but my adjuster wasn't really being proactive.. so i drove down to her insurance company and demanded to talk to the adjuster haha... anyways, after showing him the damage and showing him that there was no way i was gonna be able to stop and because of the nature of the damage, he gave her liability right away...

So if they don't accept liability, then take a proactive role and talk to their adjuster and talk to yours... good luck man and hopefully you can get it fixed...

mark4091
09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Cab drivers are absolute morons. I was driving in the far left lane downtown and this idiot try's to take a turn from the middle lane when I'm going through the light.

I even think he tried turning onto a one way now that I think about it.

403Gemini
09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I was following a cab on elbow drive and he STOPPED in the MIDDLE of an intersection with a green light on the far right lane and put on his signal to turn left onto another road. I couldnt fucking believe it.

punky
09-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys, i've called the insurance company and they said it'll take at least a week for the adjuster to even have a look at my car.
Thanks jayson, your input wll be very helpful for me during the next week. I think i'll take my adjuster to the incident and have him look at it, its only 2 minutes from my house. I really hope i win, aside from the money, it'll set an example that they don't always win, then hopefully less people will get in the same situation as i do.

ZyaL8R
09-27-2007, 02:55 PM
You'd think driving for 8-10 hrs a day would make you a good driver.

Worthless cabbies.

punky
09-27-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm sure there are good cab drivers out there, but in my experience they've been more than reckless, unfortunately i ended up colliding with one. crappy day for sure.

Jayson
09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by punky
Thanks guys, i've called the insurance company and they said it'll take at least a week for the adjuster to even have a look at my car.
Thanks jayson, your input wll be very helpful for me during the next week. I think i'll take my adjuster to the incident and have him look at it, its only 2 minutes from my house. I really hope i win, aside from the money, it'll set an example that they don't always win, then hopefully less people will get in the same situation as i do.

no problem man... good luck with that, and hopefully they'll fix your car... if they decide to dispute it, you might be in for a long drawn out process...

svtlight
09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
The worst part is you know this guy has no idea he did anything wrong and will most likely claim he never entered your lane. Arguiing with a cab driver or even trying to express your opinion on anything is like talking to a broken record player.

punky
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
if i have too i'll bring this guy to hell with me. I aint letting this go easily. Still looking for witness, so please keep your eyes open for me for anyone might've witness it. you guys have been great support.

theken
10-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0

i wouldn't walk anywhere in the first place at -40 so i wouldn't need a cab, and i have enough cars to get me where i am going. i have almost been hit by a cab probably in the 50-75 times area, they are a disgrace to drivers everywhere, i would still rather walk then get into a cab

punky
10-06-2007, 06:20 PM
So i went to talk to my adjuster, and told her my story, and she said that i have a good chance of winning. Since i only have collisions so my insurance company does not do any of the work so i have to deal with the other company by myself.
She said that they will almost always dispute our claim and they will try to say that it's my fault. She said to prepare as well as i could and be firm against them.
So today, i went to the accident site and took a few picture, and put together a video of the exact event that happened today. Here's a copy of the video, excuse my weak photoshop skills. Any comment and suggestion is welcomed.
Video (http://members.shaw.ca/brianhuynh01/Accident.divx)

BoS_DC2
10-06-2007, 08:05 PM
about cab drivers, i wouldn't mind being driven in a taxi but i wouldn't like to drive somewhere fast with them around..

calgarys_finest
10-06-2007, 08:31 PM
i had a asshole cabbie in front of my house honking for my neighbor to come outside. it was 2:30 in the morning i went outside in my underware and told him to stop honking and knock on the door. they usually dont care about anyone else just the fair.

punky
10-06-2007, 08:39 PM
any thoughts on the video? would it increase/decrease my chance of winning?

GTS Jeff
10-06-2007, 09:16 PM
I hate cabbies, they are coloured people.

punky
10-06-2007, 10:15 PM
lol, the guy who hit me did not even speak any english, but it made perfect sense when he said, "are you going to pay for that in cash? I'll pretend like nothing happened". He must've said that many times.

eina15
10-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Ugh, sorry to hear. I take that corner all the time, and its absolutely ridiculous (ppl always stopping halfway through the turn, switching lanes in the middle of the intersection etc.)

punky
11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
well i call them today, and apparently i'm at fault because, apparently even if you hit the side of the bumper its still your fault.
If i take this out to court, what would the procedure be? does anyone have a clue? or where i should seek advice? It's beacuse i dont have full coverage thats why i'm doing all this myself.

Neons4life
11-28-2007, 01:10 PM
I feel your pain.

I was hit along driver side by a guy from Quebec who happened to be going the wrong way down Country Hills BLVD (I mean how do you go the wrong way down that road).

And of all the nerve he has said to his insurance I was at fault and now there is a disupute because we had no witness.

please people from now on have a camera with you in the car and wait for the police no matter if it's even small accident...I learned my lesson (call police and take pictures) then there's no way they can dispute the accident.

rated_R
11-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Cab and Bus Drivers FTL

gmoney82
11-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Neons4life
please people from now on have a camera with you in the car and wait for the police no matter if it's even small accident...I learned my lesson (call police and take pictures) then there's no way they can dispute the accident. [/B]

You always have your camera phone or at the very least buy a shitty $10 disposable camera and put it in your glovebox.

sputnik
11-28-2007, 02:55 PM
There was a cab on Deerfoot this morning in the fast land doing 70km/h.

punky
11-29-2007, 12:24 AM
yeah this is frustrating, and its really effecting me psychologically.
Keep thinking i have to pay for something i didn't do, and its going to stay on my record for 6 years.

drtoohotty1
11-29-2007, 12:54 AM
The best thing i ever saw was a few months ago on 6th ave 5th st a cab actually got pulled over by the cops i had to slow down just to smile at the cabbie because i was in shock that he actually got pulled over, so for those keeping track at home 1 cabbie caught 1500 got away

BlackArcher101
11-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Neons4life

please people from now on have a camera with you in the car and wait for the police no matter if it's even small accident...I learned my lesson (call police and take pictures) then there's no way they can dispute the accident.

And for the love of God get the F'n vehicles off the road after taking pictures. (If they are moveable). Don't wait in the middle of the road to exchange info and wait for cops after a minor fender bender.