PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of HTIB

R!zz0
09-27-2007, 01:47 AM
I am thinking of going with home theater, but i don't know anything about it. i saw some that had wireless home theater and some wired. what's the difference in clarity? I heard the wireless will interfere if you you're talking on your cell or cordless phone. Someone told me that it will interfere if you're using the microwave :eek:

I live in a small 1000 square feet condo and i don't want anything huge. I have a 50" plasma and looking for some advice before i purchase one.

Hash_man
09-27-2007, 02:30 AM
A lot of the wireless ones I have seen like to cut out past a certain volume.

I bought a HTIB a little while ago, because it was relatively cheap, and sounded pretty good. I found the biggest difference I made though was using a decent guage speaker wire instead of the garbage they give in the box.

I'd say my top reccomendation when looking at some of these HTIB is to make sure it has a powered sub and I personally won't touch the ones with a build in dvd player... I prefer the ones with a decent amp (video switching is a nice feature on some too).

hedge
09-27-2007, 08:22 AM
junk, you'll end up throwing it away when you replace it with a real system.

R!zz0
09-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I have an old Kenwood stereo that still kicks ass when it comes to sound and clarity. The speakers on those are massive but awesome in both clarity and bass. Can i hook up my old stereo system for my home theater?

Originally posted by hedge
junk, you'll end up throwing it away when you replace it with a real system.

What's a real system?

Impreza
09-27-2007, 01:17 PM
^ An A/V receiver with proper speakers and sub that you purchase separately in most cases.

Depending on your needs, a HTIB is a great solution for those that don't care too much about sound quality, etc.

spikerS
09-27-2007, 02:42 PM
HTIB is ok, and a good place to start with upgrading later in mind.

I started with one, and then piece by piece bought my complete component stero system for hy home theater. now really all you need is a receiver, and speakers/sub as most dvd players will work just fine as a CD MP3 player so costs are reduced signifigantly.

R!zz0
09-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Perfect...Now what would be a good home theater in a box?
LG any good?

jdmakkord
09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Perfect...Now what would be a good home theater in a box?
LG any good?

Do yourself a favor and forget htib's. Buy a decent reciever and pair of front speakers first. Add a center/rears/sub later as you can afford them. You will be way happier and save yourself the trouble of having to sell a pos later down the road.

4wslude
09-27-2007, 04:34 PM
BOSE

This is a good pdeal

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10020382&catid=14700&logon=&langid=EN

The Cosworth
09-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Do yourself a favor and forget htib's. Buy a decent reciever and pair of front speakers first. Add a center/rears/sub later as you can afford them. You will be way happier and save yourself the trouble of having to sell a pos later down the road.

This is what I would do. When I was in college I bought HTIB because i could afford it.

Honestly the thing doesn't always run DVD's and the image quality is poor (and I have a 32" 720i tv) imagine what yours would look like

clem24
09-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 4wslude
BOSE

This is a good pdeal

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10020382&catid=14700&logon=&langid=EN

I don't detect any sarcasm in this post.. You must be serious... :nut:

Please stay away from Bose. Here's a good read:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Listen to any HTIB. If you're happy with it, then I'd say why not. What you don't know can't really hurt you. But you want something that'll at least last for a while, consider at least a cheap receiver with 5 speakers in real wood/MDF cabinet.

If you only have $300 to spend, then get HTIB. Point is moot. But if you have $1,000, go look into the $699 5.1 Klipsch package that London Drugs is offering, and get the best receiver you can buy for $300. You'll be happy with it.