PDA

View Full Version : international oppurtunities w/ banks

l/l/rX
09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
heres a few things about me before we get started:
graduating from financial services this year from sait
i will leave by the end of this school year with my CSC and i will also be a certified financial planner.

my goal: to work for the investing side of the banking industry ie) waterhouse, wood gundy (although not prefferred)
and to also work internationally as a private banker, financial planner, investment advisor etc etc. i plan to get to these positions with time.

i also want to give my self 6-7 years of experience before moving internationally. I just need ideas as im a very planned out type of guy. im not the type of person to play things by year.

i currently work for TD Canada Trust.

my questions:

what would be the best way to work internationally? apply at the local banks in that country?

should i leave td and work for banks that are settled in other countries? ie) HSBC which have offices in the americas, europe, and asia

anything else i need to be aware of? suggestions? comments?

since i graduate from sait with finanicial SERVICES diploma i most likely will stay in the retail banking, i wont go corporate or commercial.

BananaFob
09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
If you went to UofC, I would be able to help you out no problem :(

Look at HSBC, they have a great fast track program that can get you into the CIBM department where you would be able to work anywhere they have an office.

l/l/rX
09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
If you went to UofC, I would be able to help you out no problem :(

Look at HSBC, they have a great fast track program that can get you into the CIBM department where you would be able to work anywhere they have an office.

oh and whys that? what would you have to offer if i went to UofC?

BananaFob
09-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

oh and whys that? what would you have to offer if i went to UofC?

A student organization that could get you an internship with UBS, ABN Amro anywhere in the world.

Godfuader
09-27-2007, 08:57 PM
HSBC would be the safest route to go. I did about a year with HSBC Canada because my plans were to eventually move to HSBC USA or Asia. They do have the fast track program...but you have to be very specific and upfront about your career objectives right in the interview.

l/l/rX
09-28-2007, 10:59 AM
o and this fast track program...can i read more about it on their website? where did you go? what kind of job did you get? how long is the program?

success?

Euro///Tuned
09-28-2007, 11:35 AM
To work on the investment side you will need to be working towards or have your CFA certification. You need a bachelors degree and primarily a BCom with Finance as your major to enter the program, along with relevant work experience. They say any bachelors degree is ok but you will have a hell of a time if you don't have any background in Finance.

BrknFngrs
09-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Euro///Tuned
To work on the investment side you will need to be working towards or have your CFA certification. You need a bachelors degree and primarily a BCom with Finance as your major to enter the program, along with relevant work experience. They say any bachelors degree is ok but you will have a hell of a time if you don't have any background in Finance.

Agreed, I would suggest that you stay with TD since you've already got "a foot in the door" there and see if you can slowly move into waterhouse through your contacts.

civic_ek4
09-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I would have to say that a CFA or a MBA would set you in those places much easier. I would try any trainee position that comes your way. BUT just from what you said you have narrowed yourself to sales/retail.

If you want to go private banking you need to have some high net worth clients and build some good solid relationships. But thats only if you stay on the sales side.

If you move to backend operations, you could be a fund manager, analyst shit there are so many options.

I think you need to be more specific what you want to do man, the financial industry is huge and very specific.

l/l/rX
09-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Euro///Tuned

ya i really have to ask this one guy again what kind of certifications he has. because he dropped out of 3rd year uni, and made it into waterhouse in 4 years (hes 29 going on 30 right now)

hes making pretty good cash right now also, i need to ask him what his position is though to.

heres what im trying to say:

i want to work internationally, at an equivalent td waterhouse/ wood gundy side of banking.

i just pretty much need direction as to how to get there.

what should my goals here in canada be?

does 7 years seem like a pretty realistic time frame to make it to where i want to be?

im still doing my research as to what position i want to work at. so bare with me a little here, as someone said there are TONS of positions i could go into.

2002civic
09-28-2007, 03:42 PM
leave TD and go to a real bank...:thumbsup: JK but seriously consider where internationally you want to be, RBC would be great for the US through RBC Centura or you go go to our Caribbean Banking, but with just a diploma your career goals seem a little far fetched...

l/l/rX
09-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
leave TD and go to a real bank...:thumbsup: JK but seriously consider where internationally you want to be, RBC would be great for the US through RBC Centura or you go go to our Caribbean Banking, but with just a diploma your career goals seem a little far fetched...

hong kong is my destination. i believe i can go to where i want to get with just my diploma. im sure there will be some future schooling.

like i said 7 years...it would give me time between now and then to achieve more certifications.

Godfuader
09-28-2007, 05:18 PM
o and this fast track program...can i read more about it on their website? where did you go? what kind of job did you get? how long is the program?

success?
The fast track program is really good. Essentially they get you to become a full service account manager within 12 mths. I was not on the formal program...but followed them to a certain degree. The only drawback is that they can put you in any branch, in any city, after the year. This training is more leading to the retail side of banking. If you wanted the investment aspect, you need HSBC Securities...look on the website for them. Like someone mentioned, you need to have some real high networth clients to even be considered. One of the advisors I was in contact with was constantly travelling between Vancouver and HK and mentioned that it is a Very stressful and demanding job....but the payoff is huge.

The best part of the trainee program is that all training and workshops are in Vancouver or T.O. They fly you out about 5 times for 3-4 days at a time, put you up in top notch hotels (Hilton, Four Seasons, Marriott, etc.), full catered lunches and if you play your cards right, limo transfers.

hong kong is my destination. i believe i can go to where i want to get with just my diploma. im sure there will be some future schooling.

like i said 7 years...it would give me time between now and then to achieve more certifications.
If HK is the ultimate destination....then HSBC would be the obvious choice.

I dont work for HSBC anymore...but would still recommend them as a very driven and growing company in Canada. They have big plans for Calgary, as you probably know, they are on-ice sponsors for the Flames too.

whodiman
09-28-2007, 10:40 PM
As someone here has already mentioned, to go international you pretty much have to leave the investment side. I personally know of three people who have done international banking all with 3 different backgrounds.

1) One friend started at CIBC in the telephone banking and worked on his CFA. Once he got his CFA he got the f$%k out and worked for an investment firm (I think it was Mackenzie) in fund accounting. Now he is some bigshot risk manager in HK. The key was you have to get into the back office for this type of role.

2) Another friend got his CA then lucked out and got into investment banking in Bermuda. The one he worked for hires either CAs or MBA grads from Ivey league schools only. This is by far the highest paying out of the three people but there are some major contraints in the obtaining this type of education as well as cost of education. It may also not be as glorifying of a job as most people would imagine.

3) Third guy I met in China. He was an American who already had several years commerical banking experience in the USA with an MBA. He wandered China for about 3 years and finally landed a big wig job with HSBC in Shanghai. The key here was this guy had already 10 years managerial experience to go along with his MBA. Plus he made several contacts in China while he was there before he finally got his chance.

Three different paths which resulted in slightly different results but all ended up with very high paying international jobs.