PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out upshifts?

lianli
09-27-2007, 05:01 PM
What's the best way to smooth out the upshift? I know you can rev-match rpms when downshifting for smooth downshifts but is there a way to smooth the upshift? The way I see it, upshifts are jerky because you have to let go of the gas before you clutch in, therefore upsetting the accerlation. I've noticed that letting the rpms drop before clutching out gets you a more fluid shift but imo that takes too long!

EK 2.0
09-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Buy an Auto, SMG, DSG??

SOAB
09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
if you can't upshift smoothly, maybe you should take some lessons...

lianli
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Sorry for my asinine comment... I didn't know you could take lessons!

And being a student, I dont have the cash to get an SMG or DSG. I would rather drive a standard than an auto too...

LongCity
09-27-2007, 05:15 PM
What happened to the good old help/advice?!

benyl
09-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Is that because it allows you more control? That you feel one with the car?

Answer to your question: Practice.

lianli
09-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Answer to your question: Practice.

yup that's the plan. but no tips?

l/l/rX
09-27-2007, 05:28 PM
um...dont let the clutch out so fast? let it out smoothly and slowly...

403Gemini
09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Really just practice, its different for every car and every clutch

Trate
09-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Could try Standardshift for driving tips. They have topics like that covered in depth already.

http://www.standardshift.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8248&highlight=upshift+smoothly&sid=cbe18f7813674fa4539747913deae187

SOAB
09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
here's my tips.

be smooth on the throttle and clutch.
no jerky motions.
they are not on/off switches.

403Gemini
09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
here's my tips.

be smooth on the throttle and clutch.
no jerky motions.
they are not on/off switches.

Good advice

also dont drive your car and shift fast and furious style, you can gently put the car into the next gear, no biggy

vietdood
09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
change to a lighter flywheel and you'll see your rpms drop faster during shifts

Slashin_
09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
clutch in first then let go of gas,shift,light tap of gas,let go of clutch smoothly,in one motion of constant

boredengineer
09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by vietdood
change to a lighter flywheel and you'll see your rpms drop faster during shifts

:dunno: If you need a lighter flywheel to smooth out your shifts you need to learn to drive... Clutch in at the same time as you get off the gas, shift to the gear, blip the throttle and feather the clutch out. Voila smooth shift. It takes practise but it comes with time...

SOAB
09-28-2007, 08:25 AM
you actually blip the throttle before you let out the clutch and get on the gas again?

all i do is clutch in as i'm releasing the throttle, shift, then release the clutch as i'm getting on the gas. no blip. no nothing.

Mibz
09-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
you actually blip the throttle before you let out the clutch and get on the gas again?

all i do is clutch in as i'm releasing the throttle, shift, then release the clutch as i'm getting on the gas. no blip. no nothing. Depends how hard I'm going but that's how I do it when driving casually.

E46..sTyLez
09-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Buy an Auto, SMG, DSG??

SMG?? are you kidding? Rage was the first to say it was really jerky at first for him...lol
that wouldn't be a good resolution anyway...oh you can't drive a stick properly?? just buy a $50000 bimmer and everything will be fine. Wish I had that luxury haha

arian_ma
09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
You shouldn't pop the clutch out, you should slowly let it out while slowly applying gas. I am assuming you are referring mostly to 1->2 shifts.

zieg
09-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Just try rolling off the gas as you put the clutch in, and the same for when you lift the clutch back up.

alloroc
09-28-2007, 12:30 PM
double clutching matches the revs and smooths shifts nicely - at least for me

E46..sTyLez
09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Hes inexperienced at driving stick, and can't get a smooth shift as it is...and you think he should try double clutching? probably not a good idea.

I agree with the people that said practice. Each car is different and when I switched from my civic to the tourqy 3.0L it took me some practice to get used to it too.

Ashkente
09-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

:banghead: Double clutching on upshifts is useless. Your engine should rev down enough on it's own between clutching in to getting back on the gas. Take everyone elses advice and just practice being smooth with the pedals, as well as the shifter. You need almost no pressure to get into gears if done right.

alloroc
09-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Your engine should rev down enough on it's own between clutching in to getting back on the gas.

Originally posted by lianli
I've noticed that letting the rpms drop before clutching out gets you a more fluid shift but imo that takes too long! [/B]

Just trust me ... it helps, on upshifts its easy, and on cars with syncro's double clutching is smmmooootthhh like butter.

Jason04S1
09-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by lianli
The way I see it, upshifts are jerky because you have to let go of the gas before you clutch in,

Thats your problem....

Keep the pedal to the floor... kick the clutch peddle, slam the gear into place and your good to go. No loosing boost, great power gain.

However like all of us who still shift like that when off of the track you will go through clutches... :thumbsup:

Ashkente
09-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Jason04S1

Thats your problem....

Keep the pedal to the floor... kick the clutch peddle, slam the gear into place and your good to go. No loosing boost, great power gain.

However like all of us who still shift like that when off of the track you will go through clutches... :thumbsup:

And transmissions/synchros...

ken-gsr
09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
it should be a smooth process. You shouldn't let your foot completely off of the gas before you push in the clutch and vis versa. Make it a smooth transition from one to the other and you will see that your shifts will get smoother with practice.
Good luck.

GTS Jeff
09-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

:dunno: If you need a lighter flywheel to smooth out your shifts you need to learn to drive... Clutch in at the same time as you get off the gas, shift to the gear, blip the throttle and feather the clutch out. Voila smooth shift. It takes practise but it comes with time...

A heavier flywheel is what smooths shifts. More rotational inertia to offset the shock of a shift. In fact, that's the whole purpose of a flywheel haha. You call yourself an engineer?

88CRX
09-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Its cause your granny shifting, not double clutching like you should...

boredengineer
09-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

A heavier flywheel is what smooths shifts. More rotational inertia to offset the shock of a shift. In fact, that's the whole purpose of a flywheel haha. You call yourself an engineer?

Are you retarded? Read my post again please... I argued for the fact he doesn't have to replace his flywheel to get smooth shifts.

v2kai
09-28-2007, 04:48 PM

he didnt say that, he quoted vietdood for saying that....
oops beat me to it ^

speedracer
09-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Is that because it allows you more control? That you feel one with the car?

:rofl: That's just gold!

vietdood
09-28-2007, 05:30 PM
the reason i said a light flywheel because the one right now is heavy causing the rpms to drop slowly. from what i think the OP is saying by the time they shift from first to second the rpms is dropping too slow to match the x amount of rpms @ x amount of speed. for example, 3000rpms shifting into second it should be around 2000rpms, the flywheel is heavy so the rpms drop slowly so by the time you're in second gear the rpm only fell down to 2500rpm which if you engage the clutch incorrectly you'll get a jerky shift. to correctly engage you'd have to feather out the clutch while feathering on the gas as the clutch and the flywheel will end up moving at the same speed resulting in a smooth shift.

bspot
09-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Guy is saying that when he lets off the gas, his car jerks a bit. He's not having a problem letting the clutch back out.

To the OP, let off the gas at the same time you put the clutch in, not before. If you drop off the gas while it's still in gear, it's jerky like you're experiencing.

LongCity
09-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Nice... now everyone is helping!

GTS Jeff
09-29-2007, 12:10 AM

Are you retarded? Read my post again please... I argued for the fact he doesn't have to replace his flywheel to get smooth shifts. Your post implies that you think a lighter flywheel can smooth shifts, and that one doesn't "need" it if they drive well. Don't you see the distinction between saying that and saying that a lighter flywheel does the opposite?

If you need a lighter flywheel to smooth out your shifts...

Dumb people often don't understand smarter people (much like the way engineers don't understand vaginas,) so I can see why you think I'm retarded.

EK 2.0
09-29-2007, 06:59 AM

Dumb people often don't understand smarter people (much like the way engineers don't understand vaginas,) so I can see why you think I'm retarded.

BOO-YA!!!