PDA

View Full Version : Butter Chicken!

Manhattan
09-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Been having this huge craving for butter chicken lately. But so hard to find a decent Indian place around town. Recommend a good and inexpensive place to pick up some good ol' BUTTER CHICKEN!

Completely off topic but whatever happened to the Viet Sub place they said they were gonna open at Crowfoot?!?

R!zz0
09-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Tandoori hut for butter chicken. Tiffins doesn't make it like they use to :(

Manhattan
09-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Please include location and prices if possible. Thanks!:clap:

Kritafo
09-29-2007, 04:11 PM
funny last time we were at tiffin which was about 2 weeks ago, nothing from the buffet style tasted the same....the ribs were just as good as ever though

I loved their curry spinach, but it wasn't the same either.

Yeah...they use to have good butter chicken there.

Kona9
09-29-2007, 04:38 PM
If you just want to pick it up and take it home. SUnterra does Butter Chicken on thursdays I believe. It's not bad for the 13 bucks you pay for it and have about 3-4 meals out of it.

EK 2.0
09-29-2007, 05:10 PM
President's Choice makes a microwavable butter chicken TV dinner...its soooo good...

When I cant have mommy's I have that...haha...

weedman
09-29-2007, 05:22 PM
tiffin all the way get it every day decent butter chicken

dj_rice
09-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
President's Choice makes a microwavable butter chicken TV dinner...its soooo good...

When I cant have mommy's I have that...haha...

:werd: :werd:

But what I usually do is buy the PC Butter Chicken sauce in a jar and make it at home :thumbsup:

Kritafo
09-29-2007, 07:03 PM
hah! That is just what I did, I bought some Naan, some butter chicken sauce and the Madras sauce. I had some leftover samosas...it was a decent meal.

But I do love the roti from Tiffin...mmmm and the mango drink....anyone know where I can buy that Mango drink I think the brand is Ocho Rios?

jdmakkord
09-29-2007, 08:30 PM
I haven't found a place in town that can touch my mom's butter chicken:drool:

G3500
09-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Mysore Palace 7th Street 6 Ave
Chutney Near chinatown by bp building
Radjoot - cant remember address somewhere south of 17th ave

bspot
09-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Glory of India has a decent buffet butter chicken, but Masala Express (sp?) in Ranchlands is the best I've ever had.

jdmakkord
09-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by G3500
Mysore Palace 7th Street 6 Ave
Chutney Near chinatown by bp building
Radjoot - cant remember address somewhere south of 17th ave

Mysore is a Sri Lankan restaraunt, they don't know butter chicken. But their Masala Dhosa's rock!

turbotrip
09-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Glory of India has a decent buffet butter chicken, but Masala Express (sp?) in Ranchlands is the best I've ever had.

where in ranchlands is that? by the 7/11?

EK 2.0
09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

But I do love the roti from Tiffin...mmmm and the mango drink....anyone know where I can buy that Mango drink I think the brand is Ocho Rios?

I don't know if you know this...but you CAN purchase the roti's on their own...either frozen, or ready made and take them home...it's what i do...cause it's such a hassle to get to my mom's for some Indian haha...

Originally posted by jdmakkord

I think the same goes for any brown person and their mothers Nav...haha...

jdmakkord
09-29-2007, 10:00 PM

I think the same goes for any brown person and their mothers Nav...haha...

There are plenty of brethren that'll vouch Arif!

bspot
09-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

where in ranchlands is that? by the 7/11?

It's by a shitty gas station and some martial arts or dance studio or something. I can't remember a sev there.

19 - 735 Ranchlands Blvd NW

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&q=19+-+735+Ranchlands+Blvd+NW&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&ll=51.117829,-114.180565&spn=0.011934,0.029097&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=1

forkdork
09-29-2007, 11:30 PM

Wtf is with most places just putting their tandoori chicken in with butter chicken sauce and selling it as "Butter Chicken". IMO this is the reason why the butter chicken at most restaurants blows.

They have to start making proper murga to go with the makhane;)

Manhattan
09-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by bspot

It's by a shitty gas station and some martial arts or dance studio or something. I can't remember a sev there.

19 - 735 Ranchlands Blvd NW

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&q=19+-+735+Ranchlands+Blvd+NW&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&ll=51.117829,-114.180565&spn=0.011934,0.029097&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=1

SWEEEEEEEEEEET! This is really close to where I live. I've been lookin for a butter chicken spot in the NW for the longest time. How much for an order of butter chicken there btw?

Now all we need is a viet sub place close by.

Godfuader
09-30-2007, 12:38 AM

Mysore is a Sri Lankan restaraunt, they don't know butter chicken. But their Masala Dhosa's rock!
:werd:

pinoyhero
09-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Best I've had and always go back from is at Muarya. IMO best indian in calgary, I've tried tons of places and find that joint the best.

Kirbs17
09-30-2007, 12:54 PM
For quick, easy and amazing Butter Chicken, try M&M Meat shops. It comes in individual and family size portions. I love it. :thumbsup: Had it for dinner last night

:drool:

KoukiS14
09-30-2007, 01:24 PM

I concur, she makes mean butter chicken. Best ive had.

EK 2.0
09-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by KoukiS14

I concur, she makes mean butter chicken. Best ive had.

Hmmmm...we might have to let our mummy-jhi's have a Butter Chicken Off hahaha....I might have to give it a whirl.

bspot
09-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan

SWEEEEEEEEEEET! This is really close to where I live. I've been lookin for a butter chicken spot in the NW for the longest time. How much for an order of butter chicken there btw?

Now all we need is a viet sub place close by.

I haven't been in a while, I honestly can't remember at all. It's not super cheap though.

Gondi Stylez
09-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by forkdork

Wtf is with most places just putting their tandoori chicken in with butter chicken sauce and selling it as "Butter Chicken". IMO this is the reason why the butter chicken at most restaurants blows.

They have to start making proper murga to go with the makhane;)

Ingredient wise it's pretty much the same shit?!?!

Maybe those restaurants just suck!

But either way if your part of the brown town crew homemade is the shizzle for sheez!

PS - the roti at Tiffin is the worst :barf: Maybe I'm just a picky bastard :D

HybridTheory
09-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Nothing beats the homemade stuff but the :werd: on the PC ones. Although I wish they came with naan instead of rice.

Kritafo
09-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Since I am just an admirer of the food and not an expert, where do I go for Roti or Naan?

JRSC00LUDE
09-30-2007, 11:20 PM

I touched your moms butter chicken! :drool:

(sorry, couldn't resist) :D

EK 2.0
10-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Since I am just an admirer of the food and not an expert, where do I go for Roti or Naan?

There is a Tandoori place up in Falconridge or Castleridge. I ALWAYS forget which side...but they have pretty decent Naan...I mean for an E.I. "Fast Food" joint haha...

R-Audi
10-01-2007, 08:22 AM
My Favorite is from Nawab on 4th Ave and 3rd st (I think)

SunniSunShine
10-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
For quick, easy and amazing Butter Chicken, try M&M Meat shops. It comes in individual and family size portions. I love it. :thumbsup: Had it for dinner last night

when i tired their butterchicken i thought it tasted absolutely terrible, my woman makes a mean butter chicken - or like mentioned previously presidents choice does offer a nice lunch for a nice price

Kritafo
10-01-2007, 09:03 AM
there is a butter chicken at costco that isn't bad either, it's not the one they package but the one over by the special cheeses and pasta sauces it's rice and butter chicken.

USHER
10-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
My Favorite is from Nawab on 4th Ave and 3rd st (I think)

E46..sTyLez
10-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Didn't read every reply so I don't know if someone said this yet but there is a place on 130ave SE called KARMA...right by the keg.

mekeni
10-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Taj Mahal on Mcleod

doublepostwhore
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
raja foods. down the street from hopnbrew and the ethiopian gangbanger hangout.

clem24
10-02-2007, 12:13 PM
there is a butter chicken at costco that isn't bad either, it's not the one they package but the one over by the special cheeses and pasta sauces it's rice and butter chicken.

I believe that's tika misala, not butter chicken. For good tika, check out Spice Hut in Hunterhorn Plaza. I found I really like the butter chicken at Moti Mahal on 17th Ave and 14th St SW. But then again, I am no expert and Indian isn't really high on my list though I do crave it every so often.

Kritafo
10-02-2007, 12:47 PM
They have both butter chicken and tika misala, I just picked them up last night, they are in a cardboard box, which of course I have already thrown away..

szw
10-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by clem24

I believe that's tika misala, not butter chicken. For good tika, check out Spice Hut in Hunterhorn Plaza. I found I really like the butter chicken at Moti Mahal on 17th Ave and 14th St SW. But then again, I am no expert and Indian isn't really high on my list though I do crave it every so often.

No I've seen butter chicken packages at Costco. I think a couple different versions too, one refrigerated and one frozen. Not sure about that though, never tried either of them.

str8jkt
10-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Clay Oven by far! They have amazing butter chicken there (can request it mild, medium or hot). Some of the best Naan bread I have had as well..

They are in the NE right beside where T&T Honda / Contemporary MotorSports used to be (its a little mom and pop type shop so not very much seating..) We usually just get take out. Soo goood...

avishal26
10-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by mekeni
Taj Mahal on Mcleod

:werd: So far, of all the restaurants I've tried, Taj Mahal has the best food, especially their butter chicken. But I haven't tried clay oven....It's on my to do List when I get back for the winter break.

cdnsir
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I usually go to Tiffin cuz it tastes pretty good to me!

But here's a question, Does anybody know if butter chicken an authentic Indian recipe or is it "fake" like Ginger Beef? Cuz it seems to taste so mild compared to all the different curries that you can choose from.

punj_abi
10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
apna desi meat masala in falcon ridge, hands down the best quality food and prices.

i am not affliated with them, but gawd damn is their food good.

jdmakkord
10-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir
I usually go to Tiffin cuz it tastes pretty good to me!

But here's a question, Does anybody know if butter chicken an authentic Indian recipe or is it "fake" like Ginger Beef? Cuz it seems to taste so mild compared to all the different curries that you can choose from.

It was created along with chicken tikka for the british in India because it was milder on their palates.

punj_abi
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM
^ I'm not entirely sure about that.

nismodrifter
10-10-2007, 04:46 PM
jithe ve eh jaan punjabi murga nal makhan milonde neh :D

jdmakkord, my moms butter chicken>your moms butter chicken. :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :D

JTF
10-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Been having this huge craving for butter chicken lately. But so hard to find a decent Indian place around town. Recommend a good and inexpensive place to pick up some good ol' BUTTER CHICKEN!

Completely off topic but whatever happened to the Viet Sub place they said they were gonna open at Crowfoot?!?

hey dude. try Maurya on kensington. i don't know the exatc address, but if you can't find it just look in the phone book. they have a really good buffet around lunchtime. place an order, and you can pick it up in like 20 mins.

good luck!

jdmakkord
10-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

jdmakkord, my moms butter chicken>your moms butter chicken. :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :D

Nukkah them would be fightin words!:guns:

turbotrip
10-10-2007, 06:07 PM

LOL

EK 2.0
10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
:english:

dj_rice
10-10-2007, 06:31 PM
:english:

nismodrifter
10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Bhenchod kuthay, ek gal punjabi'ch kar ke menu "speak english" smiley mar de ah? Smiley sign bund vich pawa?

You guys always talk Viet/philipino (aka flipmode)/wtf/aZN/chinese in random threads, diz a thread bout MY FOOD bitchez, I speak MY language up in dis thread.

I don't think any restaurant in Calgary sells actual butter chicken that is properly marinated etc. Like my bro said on the first page, it's usually tandoori chicken dipped in with the butter chicken "sauce".

EK 2.0
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Bhenchod kuthay, ek gal punjabi'ch kar ke menu "speak english" smiley mar de ah? Smiley sign bund vich pawa?

Hahahaha I just had lassi come out of my nose hahahahaha...

nj2Type-S
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17

it's also an amazing laxative! lol, i crap soooo much right after eating the butter chicken from M&M meat shop...but so good, hahah..

sjaswal
10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
so if it's tandoori chicken in butter chicken sauce, most likely you will be eating MSG. A lot of restaurants in Calgary use tadoori seasoning with MSG as one of it's main indegredients.
I ate tandoori chicken at glory of india on tuesday, it tasted like they rolled every piece of chicken in MSG.

That place is a waste of money.

GTS Jeff
10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Is it true that butter chicken isn't real Indian food? My brown friend says it was invented not too long ago for the whitey.

nismodrifter
10-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Copied from some cooking website:

"The tandoor, which boosted tikka sales, had not even arrived in Britain at that time, having only been introduced to the first Indian restaurant, Moti Mahal in New Delhi in 1948. In fact this can be seen as the birth of CTM in its original form of Butter Chicken. Lala Kundan Lal Gujral first set up in Peshawar in 1920 but came to Delhi in 1947 to set up Moti Mahal. He worked with a local man to produce the first restaurant version of the tandoor and invented tandoori spice mix for tandoori chicken -ground coriander seeds, black pepper and mild red pepper. Called Murg Makhani in Hindi, Butter Chicken originated in the 1950s at the Moti Mahal restaurant in Old Delhi. Famed for its Tandoori Chicken, the cooks there used to recycle the leftover chicken juices in the marinade trays by adding butter and tomato. This sauce was then tossed around with the tandoor-cooked chicken pieces and presto - Butter Chicken was ready! The leftover dish appealed to Delhites and was quickly lapped up by the rest of the world.

So impressed was India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru by Kundal Lal's dishes that Moti Mahal became a permanent fixture in all his state banquets. Legend has it that when former Soviet premier Nikita Kruschev was asked what he liked about India, he replied, ''Taj Mahal and Moti Mahal''. When the Shah of Iran came on a state visit to India, the Indian Education Minister Maulana Azad told him that coming to Delhi without eating at Moti Mahal was like going to Agra and not seeing the Taj Mahal."

clem24
10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Is it true that butter chicken isn't real Indian food? My brown friend says it was invented not too long ago for the whitey.

LOL I always thought so too, kinda like chicken balls and cream of sum yung gai.

Kritafo
10-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I just made the Costco butter chicken for my son to take to school this morning.

The Brand I like is Chef Bombay..one tray is chicken the other is rice. My son was a happy camper today.

Sorath
10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
i like the butter chicken beside autodream?

i think their name is bombay cafe

nj2Type-S
10-11-2007, 12:29 PM
what do you guys think of 'bombay sweet house' by mcknight and 52nd?

forkdork
10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
what do you guys think of 'bombay sweet house' by mcknight and 52nd?

Ghettooooo ahhahahahhaahha

Theres another one over there, I think it is called Apna Punjab Sweets or something? Right near Fruiticana. They have good food (proper burfi, excellent samosa's, and the milk cake is pretty good too).

Kritafo
10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Apna Punjab Sweets, we went up there in the summer but I think they were having an off day...it wasn't that great, but we were going to go up and try that other place the bombay sweet house

Kor
10-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Restaurant with best butter chicken IMO is Surya near MEC

07E92
10-16-2007, 11:09 AM
My favorite in the city is Calgary Sweet House, 52nd st and 8th ave NE I think. Ask for it spicy though !