PDA

View Full Version : Braking wear question

supe
10-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Not taking into account safety, road conditions.... if you are certain you are coming to a stop does it wear your brakes more if you stop slow over a long distance or fast and hard over a short distance?

dj_rice
10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Slow over long...:thumbsup:

RZRSHARP_SVX
10-01-2007, 08:13 PM
good question. I beleive its over a large distance that it will cause more wear. but also in the same not it you are always hammering on the brakes to stop in a short distance it could cause the same kind of wear.

but definetly the slow you take to stop will increase the heat of the rotar and pads. causing excessive brake wear.

TegLover
10-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by RZRSHARP_SVX
good question. I beleive its over a large distance that it will cause more wear. but also in the same not it you are always hammering on the brakes to stop in a short distance it could cause the same kind of wear.

but definetly the slow you take to stop will increase the heat of the rotar and pads. causing excessive brake wear.

Sounds like your information is not only creditable but from a reputable source, your asshole. :english:

Don't listen to this fool, long distance will be better for you brakes vs short distance hammering. Short distance hammering causes more wear and tear and heat. I don't have an analogy off the top of my head right now but thats the way it is. Try to think of this as a "daily driven" cars versus a track cars, who has longer brake life? Despite that the daily driven car uses the brakes more often and more km's it will still come out with more pad and rotor thickness.

RZRSHARP_SVX
10-01-2007, 08:29 PM
you dont have to be so rude about it. you could of said I was wrong jeeze.

I agree with your statment about the wearing.

TegLover
10-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by RZRSHARP_SVX
you dont have to be so rude about it. you could of said I was wrong jeeze.

I agree with your statment about the wearing.

Not that i have anything against you or anything but too often i see false information posted on beyond, at least you can admit it and not argue over it, good for you.:thumbsup:

ntv1980
10-03-2007, 05:13 PM
I usually just do long brake, and it's just fine. And usually something else happens (i.e., selling your car, etc...) before you have to replace another one. But brakes are cheap anyway.

RickDaTuner
10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
think of brakes as one of those pink erasers for pencil, if you rub the eraser over the graphite that you want to remove with light pressure and a fast hand gesture, you will remove the pencil and the eraser will barley have any wear on it, But if you try to remove that same pencil with one hard fast sweet, then you will see eraser crumbs everywhere, the mark will be gone in one swipe but at the cost of a worn eraser.

If you look at brake pads closely, they are designed kinda like a sand metal cast moulding, meaning that they are constructed of many small granules. Having that thought in your mind regular break ware consists of those granules wearing down on the brake rotors surface, resulting in friction that allows the vehicle to slow down, sooo.

But when you apply a heavy load on the brake pads through a very short time, instead of those granules wearing down and providing sufficient friction, they are torn out by excessive force caused by the friction between the pads and the rotors, the heat which is a result of hard breaking in turn heats up the rotors and causes the metal surface to become jagged, as the crystals in the steel expand, thus providing more friction, wearing down the pads even more since the rotor has essentially become a file for the pads now thus reducing the life of brake pads dramatically.

If you wish to extend the life of your pads as much as you can then you need to burnish you brake pads and rotors when you first install them. it is recommended that you burnish new rotors with old brake pads and new pads with old discs. burnishing allows the surface of the rotors be basically heat treated so that the pads and rotors can work effectively with the least amount of material loss.

although people who are very light footed with breaking should burnish their brake more often than those with heavy feet, since light braking causes glazing, with reduces the ability to create the normal amount of friction need to stop the vehicle, resulting in a heavy brake feel, putting you right back to square one.

the best kinds of brake rotors that allow maximum life of your pads and the rotor itself are those that are Cryo treated, they basically go through a cold Harding process changes the metal crystal composition allowing for the most amount of friction without the accompanied wear.