PDA

View Full Version : New Radiohead album... costs.. anything you want!

boi-alien
10-02-2007, 10:39 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2007/10/01/radiohead-album-new.html

very interesting, basically you pay whatever price you want to download their new album.

SunniSunShine
10-02-2007, 11:04 AM
lol thats funny, im gonna give a penny

sputnik
10-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by SunniSunShine

Good for you.

Are you going to take the penny from the "take a penny leave a penny" dish at 7-11 or steal one from a panhandler?

rmk
10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I'd pay a little more because they kick ass and have the balls to do this.

sputnik
10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
The whole point of the "donation basis" is to basically screw over the record lables.

They are releasing the album on their own but they take almost the entire portion of the record sales instead of the label taking a huge cut.

By giving them a fair amount (say $5) you are basically sending a message to the record industry saying that CDs are overpriced and proving that record labels are essentially useless if the artist is talented.

If you cheap out and give a penny you are also telling the world that you are too cheap to buy music and would probably just steal it anyways.

D'z Nutz
10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
The whole point of the "donation basis" is to basically screw over the record lables.

They are releasing the album on their own but they take almost the entire portion of the record sales instead of the label taking a huge cut.

By giving them a fair amount (say $5) you are basically sending a message to the record industry saying that CDs are overpriced and proving that record labels are essentially useless if the artist is talented.

That's correct. For many artists, particularly new ones who are on their first or second album, on an album that costs about $15 in the stores, they only get a couple bucks from it (if even that). The rest goes back into the record label. It's not until after the standard 2 record contract can artists negotiate a larger cut when they've established they aren't one-hit wonders.

All those Benz', bling and blang you see on MTV videos? In most instances, the record company owns all that, not the artist flashing it.

boi-alien
10-02-2007, 11:31 AM
so to thank an artist for having the balls to say fuck you to the record labels and actually putting out music for the love of music you give them a penny. good one. :rolleyes:

treg50
10-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Wow, pretty awesome. Not a huge RH fan, they lost me after The Bends, but this is brilliant of them to do. $5 is what I was thinking, maybe $7.

I don't even mind $12.99 retail (tax is MF'er though) as long as the album is good.

Weapon_R
10-02-2007, 11:36 AM
I think most reasonable people will donate 5-10 dollars for it. Beats paying the $15 in stores and you know it's actually going to the artist.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-02-2007, 12:00 PM
I'll buy one for $5 or so if it's a decent album. I'll pay more or less depending on quality.

QuasarCav
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I'll buy one for $5 or so if it's a decent album. I'll pay more or less depending on quality.

:werd:

You can also send a message to the artist that you will not tolerate a 'filler' album although a band that would do this kind of thing is not likely to produce a crap album for the sake of satisfying a record contract.

SunniSunShine
10-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Good for you.

Are you going to take the penny from the "take a penny leave a penny" dish at 7-11 or steal one from a panhandler?

naw i'll get a refund for yo momma to pay for it.

Originally posted by boi-alien

so to thank an artist for having the balls to say fuck you to the record labels and actually putting out music for the love of music you give them a penny. good one. :rolleyes:

a penny is more than nothing, i have no interest in radiohead

finboy
10-02-2007, 12:08 PM
cool idea, but its too bad if you want an actual physical copy of the cd, you have to pay $90. you get a lot more besides the cd, but god damn

boi-alien
10-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by finboy
cool idea, but its too bad if you want an actual physical copy of the cd, you have to pay $90. you get a lot more besides the cd, but god damn

If you wait till December, you can purchase just the CD at it's regular price. =)

cityhunter2501
10-02-2007, 04:45 PM
like others, I'm willing and will pay up to 5$ for this album simply to send ta message to the record industry regarding the price.
if it sucks I'll give only a 1$

edit:
to get the album, go to http://www.inrainbows.com
gave them £2.45 which is approx $5

Majestic12
10-02-2007, 05:29 PM

a penny is more than nothing, i have no interest in radiohead

Whether or not you have an interest in Radiohead, you probably have an interest in music in general. Why not send a message to the record labels that Radiohead's experiment is a great way to do business?

Sending a penny is insulting and pointless, and is a pretty dumbass thing to do, considering they are sticking their necks out.

EK 2.0
10-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

All those Benz', bling and blang you see on MTV videos? In most instances, the record company owns all that, not the artist flashing it.

WHAT?!?...man oh man you just squashed my hip-hop dreams...haha...

That statement reminds of the Roots video for What They Do...

treg50
10-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by finboy
Holy crap! I just checked out that 'Discbox' option. That is frikking awesome:eek: I said brilliant for the downloading idea before but this is brilliant x 2!

For a serious Radiohead fan, collector, or DJ, the Discbox is super-golden. The 'Discbox' is made to order, it is NOT mass produced. I know how much work and time it can take to make a package like this and $82 (approx.) is definitely worth it. You get all this wicked stuff:

- NORMAL CD ALBUM
- NORMAL ALBUM ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS
- A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK
- ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.
- ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK
- SLIPCASE

If one of my favorite artists did this, I'd go for the Discbox without question.

Not a huge Radiohead fan but I give them tonnes of respect for this idea:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Street_Soldier
10-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Radiohead is one of bands that I would actually pay money for their album. I'll happily donate 20 bucks.

Majestic12
10-04-2007, 04:53 PM
I bought it...gave them £5. That works out to a bit over 10 bucks. I remember reading somewhere that from the sale of a CD, after marketing costs, studio costs, label feeds, etc, the band only ends up getting 1 or 2 dollars out of a sale. So I figure 10 bucks is probably a pretty sweet deal. If it's badass, maybe I'll buy it again.

TheCheff
10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
reviews is it good?

boi-alien
10-05-2007, 09:44 AM
It's not released until oct 10 for download.

picmerollin
10-05-2007, 10:38 AM
i would normally wait till one of my buddies buys this and then just rip it onto my ipod for the snowboarding roadtrips (i supply the ride with stereo, they supply the music) but in this instance i want to send a giant "kiss my ass" to the major labels so i will buy the download, probably $10.

cityhunter2501
10-10-2007, 12:14 AM
just downloaded the album
only 10 songs, 48 MB zip file. 160kbps.

not bad for 5$, ok music too.