PDA

View Full Version : First New Car

Mercer_101
10-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey guys I am new to this forums and am already learning lots of stuff by just reading the old/active posts. I just turned 19 and am starting to save up some money for my first NEW car. Right now I own my dads old '92 Buick Skylark GS, but, as its been through 3 (mine, brother, sisters) G1/G2 licences its in some bad shape.

I am looking to buy a new car hopefully by next May/June 2008. I only want a 2 door and will not settle for a 4, I have never liked them. I am looking for a car with low repair costs but also a sporty look. It also must have a good hopefully lengthy list of mods around for it, mostly cosmetic (ie, body kits, exhaust, ect.).

The thing that is really swaying what I like and dont like is the sporty look and gas milege... I dont want a car you see everywhere. So no Honda Civic. ;)

Cars I have been looking at already (in order of most fav.)

1. Chevy Cobalt SS
2. Hyundai Tiburon (newer look versions, love the 2008 look)
3. Mitsubishi Eclipse or Spyder
4. Mazda Mx-5 Miata
5. Nissan Altima Coupe

I either going to buy new near the end of 2008 with 0% financing or slightly used, as in 2003+.

Please tell me what you think, or even more cars that maybe I have overlooked.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot. I know you cant tell me what car is "best" but you can give opinions.

Thanks in advance,
Mercer.

mark4091
10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
I really like the Cobalts.

zyketti
10-02-2007, 08:47 PM
the new versions of tiburons look dead sexy! but performance wise . . . . . . ......:zzz:

doublepostwhore
10-02-2007, 08:52 PM
at 19 purchasing a depreciating asset would be a BAD idea man. Thats why so many young guys are rolling around in used cars.

It would be a good idea for you to take a good look at your finacial situation before commiting to a new car.

A car will affect your ability to get a mortgage, and a Student loan.

But if you set on it, then altima coupe... I have a buddy that works at stadium nissan... let me know if you want an option/price list.

Xamim
10-02-2007, 09:34 PM
How about the SRT-4. Im not much of a dodge guy (or domestics for that matter) but people say its a fun fast little car, and lots of mods aswell:burnout:

treg50
10-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
at 19 purchasing a depreciating asset would be a BAD idea man. Thats why so many young guys are rolling around in used cars.

It would be a good idea for you to take a good look at your finacial situation before commiting to a new car.

A car will affect your ability to get a mortgage, and a Student loan.

:werd: This is good advice.

Look for your first NEW car after college/university. Not only will the cars be better in the future but you will also see how much money you 'really' have after you factor in your college/uni. student loan debt.

As it's been said, go for a used car. It's the best for your situation OR go new but cheap (may not get the car you want but it'll be new, with warranty, you can baby it, etc.)

If you really want a new car, wait for the Saturn Astra.

Tik-Tok
10-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Mercer_101

1. Chevy Cobalt SS
4. Mazda Mx-5 Miata
5. Nissan Altima Coupe

I either going to buy new near the end of 2008 with 0% financing or slightly used, as in 2003+.

P

You aren't going to find 0% financing on 2.3.4.or 5.

If those are the ones your seriously looking at, at your age I'd lease the Cobalt SS.

If you're insistent on purchasing, and have the money, go for the Altima Coupe, just keep in mind those aren't going to be small payments.

Hakkola
10-02-2007, 10:11 PM
:werd: Get a used car unless you're a pro hockey player or your parents are paying for it.

:closed:

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Go for a honda fit? May be slow... but cheap, and Honda's tend to keep they're value a little better (no car really holds much value brand new). Also I think they look pretty good for a little econo-car.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy new at all. I would go used, or keep the car you have and finish school.

yellowsnow
10-03-2007, 12:14 AM
test drive every one of those cars, but i'd add the civic SI to your list, it's pretty fun to drive.

but buying a brand new car is gonna tie you down for 3-4 years with car payments.

what's your budget anyway?

Ashers
10-03-2007, 01:07 AM
First thing to do... get a insurance quote on the car. With a new car you're going to need full coverage. In my case, a 2006 VW Golf was going to run me 7 grand a year for insurance... I just stuck with my tracker. I'm planning on right now getting a newer used vehicle, IE, a 2002 Tracker.

Ashey

GTS Jeff
10-03-2007, 01:37 AM
I just turned 19 and am starting to save up some money for my first NEW car. I hope you're also saving money for monthly payments, skyhigh insurance premiums, rising gas prices, depreciation of a new car, maintenance (a new car shouldn't be too bad, but there's still stuff to do,) the cost of modding since you're talking about ricer mods already, accidents (might not be likely, but it's wise to budget for them,) and other miscellaneous shit like winter tires.

Cars are expensive dude. They usually cost double what people think they do, and if you're into cars, they'll cost like 5x more...

TNation
10-03-2007, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I hope you're also saving money for monthly payments, skyhigh insurance premiums, rising gas prices, depreciation of a new car, maintenance (a new car shouldn't be too bad, but there's still stuff to do,) the cost of modding since you're talking about ricer mods already, accidents (might not be likely, but it's wise to budget for them,) and other miscellaneous shit like winter tires.

Cars are expensive dude. They usually cost double what people think they do, and if you're into cars, they'll cost like 5x more...

very very true.

maZda3
10-03-2007, 08:18 AM
I'd have to agree with the other guy, DONT BUY A NEW CAR unless you have the money for it.
How long u been driving? if its been less then a yr i'd say stick to a used car...u dont have enuff experience, and ur premium...i dont even wanna think about how much its gonna be...mine is 5500 /yr on 08 Mazda 3 and thats ALOT!!! but i have no choice i work everyday so i need a good reliable car to take me to work and back.....
IF and ONLY IF you really have that much money to spend on a car, dont get some hyundai or sumthin, get HONDA or MAZDA or NISSAN, something that you know the falue of the car will still be pretty high, and get a small engine like 2.0 or even small , considering the gas prices....
As for the MODS, done invest TOO much money into the car, your warranty will be gone even if u have an intercooler in there and they see it and 2nd of all...you never know what you might run into, accidents....or w/e and u'll need money to fix it and now adays to fix a new car...its pretty pricy

k i'll shup up now :)

teggypimp95
10-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeah agreed. Get something maybe just even a year or 2 old in good shape and you will be amazing how much money you can save. I was going to buy a nice car but instead i spent a little on a nice 1.8T Jetta, and now im buying a house. Then down the road once i get the house under control, then maybe time for a new car. But as said above, not wise to get a new car at a young age, but u can still get some damn nice used ones.

If not

let us know how much you want to spend and maybe we can give u some better susgestions that whats on your list.

maZda3
10-03-2007, 08:29 AM
also....i just noticed ur lookin at a cobal...honesly by reading your comment/question i can see your looking for speed....they're not that fast to tell u the truth...they may be supercharged but I just smoked one last night with my stock Mazda 3 and I dont even wanna think wat i'd do to a tiburan lol :)

just stating facts

maZda3
10-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
Yeah agreed. Get something maybe just even a year or 2 old in good shape and you will be amazing how much money you can save. I was going to buy a nice car but instead i spent a little on a nice 1.8T Jetta, and now im buying a house. Then down the road once i get the house under control, then maybe time for a new car. But as said above, not wise to get a new car at a young age, but u can still get some damn nice used ones.

If not

let us know how much you want to spend and maybe we can give u some better susgestions that whats on your list.

I LIKE!!!!!!!!!! 1.8T, fuk i was supposed to get that used but dealership was asking like 20 grand, and it was an 03 with 60 kms, body looked like pure shitttt for its kms, otherwise i woulda gotten that baby :)
but respect for VW, fuk half my friends have VW and they absolutely love itttttt

The Cosworth
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
IMO dont buy your first three

1. Chevy Cobalt SS

I drove a cobalt, the car is fun for 20 minutes, but I think I would get tired of the boy racerness of it real quick

and the second two the quality is shit, (including my Lancer) you get what you pay for. they are nice cars, quick, and well built. But I drove a Civic Si last night and am saddened about the quality difference. You just know that Honda put more thought into the car then Mitsu or Hyundai did.

If I had to do it again, I would only go with a toyota or honda just for quality for my dollar.

Also I agree with the buying used statement. Get one on leaseback two years old and your money goes much further although it may not seem like it at the time. I have lost 5 grand on my car in 6 months just due to it being a Brand New Car

teggypimp95
10-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by maZda3

I LIKE!!!!!!!!!! 1.8T, fuk i was supposed to get that used but dealership was asking like 20 grand, and it was an 03 with 60 kms, body looked like pure shitttt for its kms, otherwise i woulda gotten that baby :)
but respect for VW, fuk half my friends have VW and they absolutely love itttttt

Thanks, yeah i use to be a real honda man, and then i owned a 1.8t gti and now my jetta 1.8T and i love it also.

maZda3
10-03-2007, 08:45 AM

Thanks, yeah i use to be a real honda man, and then i owned a 1.8t gti and now my jetta 1.8T and i love it also.

no prob man, i love those cars
by the way wats ur opinion on the mazda 3s? new ones

The Cosworth
10-03-2007, 08:47 AM

I used to like them until I drove it, I think that ford has killed Volvo/Jag/Mazda

Also I think that Nissan is a step lower in quality than Honda/Toyota just from what I have seen. Sun Visors falling off, failing dash pieces, etc. Stupid shit that you would expect of your STi

:puts flame suit on:

khtm
10-03-2007, 08:51 AM
also....i just noticed ur lookin at a cobal...honesly by reading your comment/question i can see your looking for speed....they're not that fast to tell u the truth...they may be supercharged but I just smoked one last night with my stock Mazda 3 and I dont even wanna think wat i'd do to a tiburan lol :)

just stating facts
I hope you're joking. The Cobalt SS is much faster/quicker than a stock Mazda 3 in EVERY performance category, and I'm a Mazda fan.

Just stating facts. :rolleyes:

The Cosworth
10-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by khtm

I hope you're joking. The Cobalt SS is much faster/quicker than a stock Mazda 3 in EVERY performance category, and I'm a Mazda fan.

Just stating facts. :rolleyes:

SS NONsupercharged isnt

khtm
10-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't see a Cobalt NONsupercharged in the OPs list, do you? And "Mazda3" was bragging about *smoking* a turbocharged one.

Mazda 3: 0-60 8 sec, 1/4 mile 16.3 sec
Cobalt SS: 0-60 6.1 sec, 1/4 mile 14.4 sec

That's a HUGE difference. You can't even take driver skill into consideration in that matchup. A trained monkey in a SS would destroy a pro in a Mazda 3.

teggypimp95
10-03-2007, 09:01 AM

I dont mind the looks but i drove one out of the dealer and i dident like them. I bagged the shit out of it and it dident do to well. A few things i dident like were, the very cheap plastic feeling interior, I found it was so as hell after mid range rpms, pedals were way to close together, and the breaks were that responsive. But the thing i hate most about mazdas (why i woundent own one) is they use the worst paint and the thinest clear coats. You walk through and used mazda lot and you will see they all have more rock chips than paint on the front end.

teggypimp95
10-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't see a Cobalt NONsupercharged in the OPs list, do you? And "Mazda3" was bragging about *smoking* a turbocharged one.

HA 14.4 is so far off. I have yet to see a stock one do better than 15.5.

When i was racing my gti at race city one night there were a few there and i was running 15.1. And racing them they were running anywhere between 15.5-16

DGill
10-03-2007, 09:06 AM
altima coupe ftw

Destinova403
10-03-2007, 09:10 AM

When i was racing my gti at race city one night there were a few there and i was running 15.1. And racing them they were running anywhere between 15.5-16

couldnt that have somthing to do with:
A) driver skill
B) Altitude

i mean... those tests are done by professional drivers at sea level... just saying... the car might be capable of that.

teggypimp95
10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Humm long shot but maybe. I still dont like how poorly made those things are. Iv seen to many snap an axel at the line lol.

khtm
10-03-2007, 09:15 AM

It's been done before. And don't forget altitude.
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60_Quarter_Mile_Times/C_0-60times.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0505_compact_sport_coupe_comparison/specs_price.html

teggypimp95
10-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Maybe it has to be the drivers then, i thought the alititude dident effect turbo/sc cars that much?

maZda3
10-03-2007, 09:25 AM
keep in mind,
mazda 3 (4 doors)
cobalt (2 doors)
those numbers are off by 2 seconds, ALOT yes!
but in 1st and 2nd gear, cobalts fuked
and mine's not made in US
its been imported from Japan, because that's why i requested

khtm
10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe it has to be the drivers then, i thought the alititude dident effect turbo/sc cars that much?
Yep you're right, forgot about that. :)

Mazda3, what the hell are you babbling about? :english:

maZda3
10-03-2007, 09:31 AM

Yep you're right, forgot about that. :)

Mazda3, what the hell are you babbling about? :english:

dont try to be a smart ass by looking at #s
watcha mazda 3 race a cobalt
then talk to me

and my shits made and brought in from Japan, thats what im babbling about, its not made in US! they're 2 diff cars

Destinova403
10-03-2007, 09:33 AM

then talk to me

and my shits made and brought in from Japan, thats what im babbling about, its not made in US! they're 2 diff cars

so wait... i dont get it... since the car is made in japan that automatically makes it faster right?

dope...

so... civic vs gt500 in a 1/4 mile...

khtm
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
then talk to me

Man you're ridiculous. No your Mazda 3 is not special. ALL Mazda 3s are assembled in Japan. And if you actually have a Japan marketed Mazda 3, it would say Axela on it, not Mazda 3. Either way the engine tuning is practically identical to a N.A. marketed car. Fuck at least know your own car.

You did not "ownZ" a Cobalt SS with a stock Mazda 3. Unless you thought you were racing and he didn't. Or are you talking about racing a non-supercharged Cobalt?

Street racing is stupid anyways.

SilverRex
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
how bout the new accord coupe?

after seeing one in person, they arnt that bad. then again the loaded v6 option would be too much money.

maZda3
10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403

so wait... i dont get it... since the car is made in japan that automatically makes it faster right?

dope...

so... civic vs gt500 in a 1/4 mile...

didnt say its faster, it just made diff, so it runs differently
and last night i proved it that a cobalt is nothin compared to mazda 3 in the 1st and 2nd gear...then it caught up
y are we even arguing about this???? every's got diff opinions
and every1 can copy and past # of google.....

Aleks
10-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Mazda 3: 0-60 8 sec, 1/4 mile 16.3 sec

That's a HUGE difference. You can't even take driver skill into consideration in that matchup. A trained monkey in a SS would destroy a pro in a Mazda 3.

Cobalt SS comes with a Supercharged and an NA engine.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-03-2007, 09:48 AM
It's not really made all that diff man. Your spouting a lot of BS. The mazda 3 would not "own" a Cobalt SS. Maybe an LT/LS but not an SS. Nice try.

You seem to be just tooting your own horn here. I wouldn't have even read your posts due to the horrible grammar if they weren't quoted from so many rebuttals. You've been here a few days and post whoring like shit. Learn some grammar and when to shut the hell up.

To the OP:

Buy used. Get a nice 2002~ car. Have you looked into a 2002ish RSX-S?

EDIT to Aleks: I've talked to a few SS owners, and apparently the non-supercharged version is almost as fast as the supercharged... I'm not sure, but that's what I heard... Is it not a v6?

EDIT EDIT: It's an I4... But it's only a 30hp diff

khtm
10-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Cobalt SS comes with a Supercharged and an NA engine.
Oops, sorry did not know that.

maZda3
10-03-2007, 09:51 AM
okay buddy why da fuk u comparing the Supercharge type to my mazda 3?
I said, I raced one and NOT TO GET A COBALT EVEN IF ITS SUPERCHARGED....K????

and what do u drive anywayz???

khtm
10-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm not an English god or anything, I just grew up reading and speaking the language, but...

they may be supercharged but I just smoked one last night with my stock Mazda 3
That sure in the hell sounds like you were bragging about "smoking" a supercharged car.

You should stay in school if you can't put a coherent sentence together. Thanks.

We're not discussing what I drive, but since you seem to be so knowledgeable on Mazdas (sarcasm), I am a previous RX-8 owner and currently drive a motorbike that's slow for a bike but can still do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

Destinova403
10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
^^

i think he just wants attention... i mean... poor grammar and childish arguments... just ignore him and he will go away.

maZda3
10-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm not an English god or anything, I just grew up reading and speaking the language, but...

Okay "Mr. I was born here and fuck all the others who don't speak my english" maybe I haven't been speaking english for as long as you have, yes. . . but being cocky and knoledgeble on beyond forumz is 2 diff thinks
I dont know what your trying to prove, but CORRECTION yes it was a stock! sorry for the missunderstanding
all im saying is that mazda3 is a 4 door and stock is pretty fast for a base car compared to a base cobalt which is 2 doors.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Most cars these days are decently quick. But your still trying to say an N/A stock sedan car that was made for commuting and families is as quick as a coupe that's supercharged and basically made to be quick? If that were the case, chevy sure did fail with the cobalt. How about you just stop embarrassing yourself and quit?

Destinova403
10-03-2007, 10:08 AM

Okay "Mr. I was born here and fuck all the others who don't speak my english" maybe I haven't been speaking english for as long as you have, yes. . . but being cocky and knoledgeble on beyond forumz is 2 diff thinks
I dont know what your trying to prove, but CORRECTION yes it was a stock! sorry for the missunderstanding
all im saying is that mazda3 is a 4 door and stock is pretty fast for a base car compared to a base cobalt which is 2 doors.

i would argue that number of doors means not a whole ton... for instance... a mitsubishi evo is faster than a lot of supercars... and its 4 doors... the new dodge charger SRT-8s are fast as hell and they are 4 doors...

maZda3
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
k 4 doors are mostly heavier, so thats what im tryin to say

but w/e u guys think you know it all, so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

403Gemini
10-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Hookay im piping in now (ty orbie and Destinova403 for pointing me to this thread lawl)

There are 3 cobalts

2.2L engine - LS/LT Model - 148 @ 5600 RPM HP / 152 @ 4200 RPM TQ
2.4L engine - SS Model - 173 @ 6200 RPM HP / 163 @ 4800 RPM TQ
2.0L engine - SS/SC Model - 205 @ 5600 RPM HP / 200 @ 4400 RPM TQ

Mazda3

2.0L engine - 144 @ 6500 RPM HP / 132 @ 4500 RPM TQ

2.3L engine - 151 @ 6500 RPM HP / 149 @ 4500 RPM TQ

Now, maZda3, we're going to assume you have the 2.3l stock engine... even against a 2.4 L cobalt (since you beat an SS... im going to assume you were just racing the 2.4) you'd get eaten alive. How can you say a car that delivers MORE hp FASTER (albeit barely lol) is slower than your heavier mazda 3?

Im happy you probably did a ricer flyby... or at best, beat a new driver - but hey, lets just stick with the facts ;)

slowep3
10-03-2007, 01:29 PM
cobalts ss and mazdas seem pretty lame to me and soon as u drive them off the lot they lose, lots in resale may as well buy a honda or acura at least if u wanna sell you'll get more back in the end and who cares how fast it really is if its ur first car you can always put mods on later

403Gemini
10-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by slowep3
cobalts ss and mazdas seem pretty lame to me and soon as u drive them off the lot they lose, lots in resale may as well buy a honda or acura at least if u wanna sell you'll get more back in the end and who cares how fast it really is if its ur first car you can always put mods on later

If you lease who cares about resale? :dunno:

Mr_ET
10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Hookay im piping in now (ty orbie and Destinova403 for pointing me to this thread lawl)

There are 3 cobalts

2.2L engine - LS/LT Model - 148 @ 5600 RPM HP / 152 @ 4200 RPM TQ
2.4L engine - SS Model - 173 @ 6200 RPM HP / 163 @ 4800 RPM TQ
2.0L engine - SS/SC Model - 205 @ 5600 RPM HP / 200 @ 4400 RPM TQ

Mazda3

2.0L engine - 144 @ 6500 RPM HP / 132 @ 4500 RPM TQ

2.3L engine - 151 @ 6500 RPM HP / 149 @ 4500 RPM TQ

Now, maZda3, we're going to assume you have the 2.3l stock engine... even against a 2.4 L cobalt (since you beat an SS... im going to assume you were just racing the 2.4) you'd get eaten alive. How can you say a car that delivers MORE hp FASTER (albeit barely lol) is slower than your heavier mazda 3?

Im happy you probably did a ricer flyby... or at best, beat a new driver - but hey, lets just stick with the facts ;)

if his profile info is accurate he drives a GX model which is the base model. Those only come with a 2.0L engine in a sedan.

I used to sell them in 2004 when they rated the same engine at 148 and it was peppy but not quick at all. I would say it is a fair match against a cobalt ls and maybe a bit quicker if the cobalt was auto. Any other cobalt model would have been faster.

I have also driven a mazda 3 gt which has the 2.3L at racecity when mazda used to sponsor them and the best I could do was a high 16 second pass. The SS/SC gets a much faster time at a much higher mph so you can't compare them.

Getting back on topic the only 2 cars in the same class in that list of 5 are the cobalt and tuburon. I would personnaly not recommend the mx 5 as a first and only car as you will not have any room to cary luggage or have more than 1 friend with you.

The eclipse and altima coupe are two big cars that are quite a bit more money than the cobalt or tiburon so from a money standpoint it doesn't make sense to add them to your list as they seem to be out of your price range. This is only an assumption based on what you say in your post.

Out of the cobalt and tiburon, I would choose the cobalt hands down. It is still early to know if reliablity will be an issue just like the old cavaliers but them seem to have put together a nice package. It will also offer much more aftermarket than the tiburon.

403Gemini
10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
I love the styling of the tiburon. Without a doubt for styling i think tiburon wins hands down vs the cobalt, but the power you get out of it is really really weak. Its a weak 2.7 v6 , lays out what, 170ish hp? the 180 tq is nice but... meh.

honestly i would recommend what other people have in this thread, get a used car. get like a 97 prelude and you'll be happy for a few years :thumbsup:

Destinova403
10-03-2007, 02:10 PM
I love the styling of the tiburon. Without a doubt for styling i think tiburon wins hands down vs the cobalt, but the power you get out of it is really really weak. Its a weak 2.7 v6 , lays out what, 170ish hp? the 180 tq is nice but... meh.

honestly i would recommend what other people have in this thread, get a used car. get like a 97 prelude and you'll be happy for a few years :thumbsup:

preludes are dope :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

403Gemini
10-03-2007, 03:31 PM

absolutly! imo one of honda's best cars ever made. Was sad to see them go :(

phreezee
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
I say being 19, get a used car and save the money for more important things such as a down payment for a house down the road. I lost $23k on depreciation in 3 years on my first brand new car. Food for thought.

403Gemini
10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
I say being 19, get a used car and save the money for more important things such as a down payment for a house down the road. I lost $23k on depreciation in 3 years on my first brand new car. Food for thought.

indeed, dont think ill ever buy new again, my next car will be a car thats about 2-3 years old

supe
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM
This thread cracks me up big time, I love how we get off topic...

Back on topic, I dont think we know enough about what you are looking for, your selection of cars is really all over the board. I'm going to assume that since you added the eclipse and altima that your price range is flexible meaning that going used for financial reasons is out the window...

-the cobalt will do.
-the tiberon will probably fail you
-the eclipse has a very bold look to it, so make you sure you like it
-in MY opinion the miata is a girls car, call the fire department

So in my biased opinion get the altima coupe, by next year there will be plenty of mods to chose from, including nismo. In terms of features the altima wins hands down. And last you said low repair costs, although that can never be guaranteed the altima has been out for over a year with no major problems.

R!zz0
10-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I dont want a car you see everywhere. Cars I have been looking at already (in order of most fav.)

1. Chevy Cobalt SS
4. Mazda Mx-5 Miata
5. Nissan Altima Coupe

Car number 1...Dime a dozen
Car number 2...No Balls
Car number 3...Dime a dozen
Car number 4...Chick car
Car number 5... NOW YOU'RE TALKING :D

Seriously man...I would start you off in a used RSX Type S.

Mercer_101
10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Wow thank you all for the quick posts and the funny arguement that took place. I agree with what most of you said and have talked to some friends about it to. I am now leaning more towards a used vehicle. I have been driving for about 3 years and am going for my full G licence this month to let you all know. Someone asked :D

For most of you that where telling me about modding the engine, ect. I am not wishing to do any of that. All the mods I will add to this will be purly bodywork and car electronics. I really dont want a super fast car, but yes, I would like some balls in the stock engine. I am already paying almost $400/month for my isurence on the Buick I have now. That is with JUST liabitity.

I looked at some pictures of the RSX Type S but couldnt get any real details on it as I have very little time to search right now. I really like the look of it. Maybe someone can give me alittle more details. Price new? Price for a good used one, 2003ish? Some basic info on it really.

Originally posted by doublepostwhore
A car will affect your ability to get a mortgage, and a Student loan. I am not going to school, military man. I understand what you are saying about a mortgage though, never thought of that.

let us know how much you want to spend and maybe we can give u some better susgestions that whats on your list. I am anywhere from 5k - 25k. I also have about $800 (Est. 25k/yr) to spend on carpayment + insurence a month as I am still living at home. Planning on living at home til about 24-25 so I am good for awhile.

Thanks again,
Mercer

94SSEi
10-03-2007, 09:39 PM
If you are paying $400 for just PLPD, you will probably end up paying at least $600/mo for insurance alone, since you will be required to get collision insurance to get financing.

That eats up your $800/mo budget really quick...especially if it turns out to be more...

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-03-2007, 09:55 PM
The RSX-S was discontinued in 06. Great used car. FWD, 210HP, 2L engine.

They usually range 17k-24k depending on condition, km's, age (based on a 1 min autotrader search). They also have lots of aftermarket support.

TNation
10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't think you're really budgeting enough money for your car

phreezee
10-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Another thing, the very fact that you have to ask others opinions tells me that you aren't really passionate about any of these cars... in that case won't any car do?

Don't you want your first time... uhh, new car to be special?!?! LOL

Mercer_101
10-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I have checked out a Cobalt (2007 SS, not SC) for insurence and it is 514/month.. then payments with some money down that I have ALREADY saved up will be 306/month.. sooo that fits the budget. Just to let you guys know I have looked into the cars. I am just giving you some info, not all of it. Just what I thought would help form an opinion about my post.

There is no reason for people to start saying I am a ricer, not "really passionate", ect. All I am asking for is your opinion on the car, not my choice.

Thank you all that gave straight up opinions, I really appreciate it. I am going to start researching on the RSX-S right now to get some info/prices.

Mercer

403Gemini
10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Honestly man you're young so all those options are pretty good, best advice anyone can give you is just test drive them and determine what you like the most. I honestly wish i did more test driving when i bought. im not saying i dont like my car, i love my car... but i bought it when i was huge into sport compact cars... i didnt look ahead and now i want a car that i could have "grown" with. Something a bit more professional looking. I've progressed with my career and well... it sorta looks silly me stepping out of my car in a suit :p

phreezee
10-04-2007, 04:39 PM
not saying i dont like my car, i love my car... but i bought it when i was huge into sport compact cars... i didnt look ahead and now i want a car that i could have "grown" with. :p

100% agree with this part!

2EFNFAST
10-04-2007, 05:10 PM
I have checked out a Cobalt (2007 SS, not SC) for insurence and it is 514/month.. then payments with some money down that I have ALREADY saved up will be 306/month.. sooo that fits the budget. Just to let you guys know I have looked into the cars. I am just giving you some info, not all of it. Just what I thought would help form an opinion about my post.

It's your money, but imho, $900/mth (ins+interet) for a cobalt is not a great deal.

I would get something that's cheaper to maintain, save for a few years, then buy a really good car.

nikka
10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
honda s2000 man
nicest looking cars with unlimited mods

mark4091
10-04-2007, 07:20 PM

Double dope, good power, good looks, reliability, resale.