PDA

View Full Version : New MP3 Formats?? Can't get these things to work

EK 2.0
10-03-2007, 01:58 PM
In my attempt to get away from pr0n. I have been d/l-ing a few new and old tracks from Limewire, and a blog website that has new music on it. The issue then ends up as follows;

When downloading from the blog site, music is sent to my "received files" folder on my "C" drive. Limewire is set up to place the new files into a folder called "New Downloads" on my "D" drive. Playing the music files directly from these folders does not pose ANY issue. They cue up in both winamp, AND WMP and play just fine. BUT, what does get me, is when I try to move or copy these files onto an SD card for use on my phone, OR even trying to move the files from the folder they are in to another one anywhere else.

I get an error message stating that "Cannot copy (whatever file):The directory or file cannot be created.

What am i doing wrong??...I mean nothing has changed in how I have been doing this...it just kinda started...is there some new security POS thing that windows implemented on my last windows update or something??

Please help an e-mack who wants new tunes with his phone haha...

Machi
10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
have you tried closing the application program before trying to move it? i know, sounds kinda obvious but you never know..

benyl
10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
You need to make the ISO hotter!

EK 2.0
10-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by benyl
You need to make the ISO hotter!

I am relieved to read your ISO comment...cause I was worried you were gonna quote some Tom Cruise flick man haha...

Yeah at first I had the issue with not closing winamp first...and it told me that...BUT...I have since closed whatever was playing and then tried moving the file in question to no avail. Even tried a different file...and nothing seems to work.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-03-2007, 11:04 PM
If you copying, I can't see the program being open, being an issue. If it was only an issue with the SD card, I would ask if it were "locked" (the tab in the side), but since you having an issue copying it anywhere, maybe try command line?

1-Bar
10-04-2007, 07:53 AM
"Iceman. It's the way he flies, ice cold, no mistakes. He wears you down, you get bored...frustrated...do something stupid and he's got ya." :thumbsup:

:devil:

Alterac
10-04-2007, 10:04 AM
could it be because windows explorer is previewing the file, therefore the file is in use?

Try this out:

http://www.tweakxp.com/article36849.aspx

Can you copy them to any other location on your desktop? or a new folder?

De Dutch
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Do you need any help?

em2ab
10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
They're doing that now. There's companies out there that actually rent songs that will play fine for a specified period of time and then expire so you can decide if you want to buy them. Or they'll work fine until you move them to another destination on your computer. I had the same problem with the new Linkin Park album. Just hack Google to get your songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAyFtXlb_eo

Someone edit this to do the YOUTUBE link if you can. I can never figure it out.

odin7
10-04-2007, 01:11 PM
You might have downloaded a file with some kind of DRM in it -- very common on p2p networks.

googe
10-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
They're doing that now. There's companies out there that actually rent songs that will play fine for a specified period of time and then expire so you can decide if you want to buy them. Or they'll work fine until you move them to another destination on your computer. I had the same problem with the new Linkin Park album. Just hack Google to get your songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAyFtXlb_eo

Someone edit this to do the YOUTUBE link if you can. I can never figure it out.

Originally posted by odin7
You might have downloaded a file with some kind of DRM in it -- very common on p2p networks.

this cant be done with mp3 files, but it can be done with other types of music files. but, that isnt what is happening here, because even DRM-protected files can still be moved, copied, deleted, or modified...they just wont play back later.

EK 2.0
10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
So I should just re d/l the track again then??...try a different file??

googe
10-04-2007, 05:58 PM
https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1760&p_sid=nz4q57yi&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=

jibber
10-04-2007, 06:19 PM
If you end up d/l the songs again, have the CD card ready and set Limewire to download straight to the SD card.

However, since I am behind the times a bit, and there is copy protection on these files, this might not solve anything as you can't copy them off the SD card onto another storage device, so you have to play them directly from the SD card. Which wouldn't work with the phone...

Hmmm..... anyone else besides me think that my idea won't work?:dunno: