PDA

View Full Version : Koryo

anarchy
10-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I love it there! Their garlic potatoes are awesome. My gf likes it too because the meat is grilled and therefore healthy.

I wish it was closer to my building! I have to hike to 5th Ave Place during lunch but it's worth it.

Has anybody tried their udon there? I've heard pretty good things about that as well.

bulaian
10-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah Koryo is one of my favorite places for lunch... Beef and Chicken combo mmmm

Haven't tried their udon either though

Weapon_R
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
One of my favorite fast food places! They have the best potatoes :drool:

Euro838
10-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Don't go to the one on 5th ave place, they are super cheap, totally shrunk their containers to half the size. Not sure about their GCS location but they are still using the original containers at the food court by the bantrel building. Agreed about the garlic potatoes!

Mr_John
10-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Koryo Potatoes :drool:

Their Udon is pretty good as well.

anarchy
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
bantrel? where is that one? it may be closer to me! i heard that there is one at north hill too.

dennisaur
10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
i go to the one on 5th avenue place and i always get double garlic potatoes as the sides for the beef and chicken combo:drool:

HybridTheory
10-03-2007, 03:26 PM
There's one in Bankers Hall as well

Euro838
10-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
There's one in Bankers Hall as well

You're probably thinking Gulf Canada Square.

There's a food court on the +15 around the 5 ave and 6th st. area.

Trini
10-03-2007, 03:32 PM
:thumbsup: great tasting food

clem24
10-03-2007, 03:39 PM
There used to be a grand daddy one where China Rose is in the NE. It was by far the best one. Then it inexplicably shut down. It was such a deal. Youl could get a "family meal" that was enough food for 6 twenty somethings... For only $30.

The Northill one is only so-so. I believe lately (maybe last year) it was bought out and under new ownership, and just plain sucked from then on.

I think mall food wise, my fave is Bourbon St. Grill.

SilverGS
10-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Now I want to go get lunch from there. May have to wait until Friday to hoof it over to GCS

Ripper
10-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I also got recently addicted to this stuff. Steak special FTW. (standard life plaza > gulf square)

anarchy
10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
I find the serving sizes really filling. My gf and I can share one of those huge combo platters and a side order of dumplings and be STUFFED.

My co-worker just told me that they opened one up in WEM too. They should have one at Market. I'm there almost every weekend.

I heard about the one near China Rose before. They had some sort of Toonie Tuesday special! Wish they still did!

HybridTheory
10-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Euro838

You're probably thinking Gulf Canada Square.

There's a food court on the +15 around the 5 ave and 6th st. area.

Ya you're right that's the one I was thinking of. My bad.

USHER
10-03-2007, 05:48 PM
yea the northhill one sucks now since it has new owners. the potatoes are always soggy and have sesame seeds on them now :barf:. :thumbsdow

98type_r
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Don't go to the one on 5th ave place, they are super cheap, totally shrunk their containers to half the size. Not sure about their GCS location but they are still using the original containers at the food court by the bantrel building. Agreed about the garlic potatoes!

i was at the 5th ave place one last week, not going back there again... Gulf Canada Square gives me double the amount of beef than those guys do.

GTS Jeff
10-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Ha guys I think that place is bullshit. The food is ok, but nowhere near as good as real Korean. The kim chi is not spicy and it's overly sour. They serve UDON, which last I checked was Japanese, and last I checked, the Japanese are the people that rape the Koreans every chance they get. Literally.

And the biggest turn off? It's run by fuckin Hongers. What a disappointment to hear cantonese when I walk towards a new fast food place promising Korean BBQ.

wakeup
10-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Ha guys I think that place is bullshit. The food is ok, but nowhere near as good as real Korean. The kim chi is not spicy and it's overly sour. They serve UDON, which last I checked was Japanese, and last I checked, the Japanese are the people that rape the Koreans every chance they get. Literally.

And the biggest turn off? It's run by fuckin Hongers. What a disappointment to hear cantonese when I walk towards a new fast food place promising Korean BBQ.

There're so many bullshit in your post, I'm not even gonna bother correcting you. Then again, you couldn't have been serious when you farted this out of your ass.

GTS Jeff
10-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by wakeup

There're so many bullshit That made even less sense than "ha guys."

jsn
10-04-2007, 12:16 AM
^:rofl:

but yea I like this place. Love the potatoes :drool:

echo_04
11-22-2007, 02:01 AM
sundrigde mall is opening soon..potatoes are great.... NORTH HILL has the best potatoes than any koryo and their generous with the servings.

omagedon
11-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by echo_04
sundrigde mall is opening soon..potatoes are great.... NORTH HILL has the best potatoes than any koryo and their generous with the servings.

I would agree with that but ever since they got new owners the food taste like crap...

I used to goto that Koryo (Special Trip) but now I don't anymore..

Xtrema
11-28-2007, 04:29 PM

Honger runs Thai Express too. Malaysian and Flipino run lots of Edo's. You can't always control who your franchisee would be. It would look really fucked up if a white guy is running any of these Asian joints.

Originally posted by clem24
There used to be a grand daddy one where China Rose is in the NE. It was by far the best one. Then it inexplicably shut down. It was such a deal. Youl could get a "family meal" that was enough food for 6 twenty somethings... For only $30.

The Northill one is only so-so. I believe lately (maybe last year) it was bought out and under new ownership, and just plain sucked from then on.

I think mall food wise, my fave is Bourbon St. Grill.

That one went out of business. The made a mistake of having a toonie tuesday. In stead of increasing business, people only goes on Tuesday and other days.

I think they then switch to a franchise model and worked out better for them.

Bourbon St. Grill is Chinese food pretending to be Cajun.

joyridder
11-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Is this Koryo place that has dishes where you can cook yourself?

Recca168
11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
:drool: those potatos were so good. I don't work downtown anymore so no more koryo's :banghead:

Weapon_R
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by joyridder
Is this Koryo place that has dishes where you can cook yourself?

No, it's a fast food Korean BBQ place. The place you're thinking of is called Gobi Grill I think

nj2Type-S
11-30-2007, 04:38 PM

i don't really care what ethnicity or race the person serving me the food so long as it tastes awesome!

koryo's garlic potatoes = :drool:

dragonone
12-07-2007, 02:40 AM

And the biggest turn off? It's run by fuckin Hongers. What a disappointment to hear cantonese when I walk towards a new fast food place promising Korean BBQ. :werd:

pinoyhero
12-09-2007, 06:02 PM
I love koryo in 5th, i dont think its all that healthy (I get those damn potatoes) but its damn good. Combo number 5 lou bega style FTW!

AyuRo
12-11-2007, 03:07 AM

Obviously fast food is more westernised and is going to be lower quality than your regular restaurant. But people go to fast food places to get their meals fast cause they are on time constraints, etc.

So what if UDON is originally japanese? Its pretty much as much as part of korean culture as it is japanese. EG: Goo man doo, gyoza, and dumplings are all the same. When you go to a japanese restaurant or korean one do you get all pissed that they serve dumplings which are originally from china?

The ethnicity of owners is not always going to match up with the type of food.... It would be quite ignorant to expect such a thing.

brownskind
01-16-2008, 04:45 PM
theres a korean place on 17th and 33rd sw - can't remember the name - they're awesome!

their sauce looks different but tastes similar - its a restaurant so the food if not better, is definately not a food court cliche..i had their bbq beef ribs and it came with kimchi, rice, eggs and something else i couldnt identify but ate anyway -

anyone know how healthy the garlic potatoes are... how are they cooked?

and whats that stuff they put on their beans and brocolli -

n1zm0
01-16-2008, 05:39 PM
good food for 'on-the-go', i'll pass on the steamed egg next time tho, gave me issues.. plus i expected it to be warm hence the 'steamed' part:barf:

but if i had an option it would be hot steaming rice and kim chee for 3$, now thats a meal

in*10*se
01-16-2008, 07:08 PM
short ribs/udon
shortribs/beans/glassnoodles/garlic potatoes

FTW

mdeluxe
01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
lunch special is where its at! :thumbsup:

Splooge
01-17-2008, 10:15 AM

:whocares: Chinese people run so many businesses these days. If you've ever been to the MRC Wykham food court you'll see it clearly.

As long as the food tastes good that's all that matters.

malcolmk14
01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by brownskind
theres a korean place on 17th and 33rd sw - can't remember the name - they're awesome!

Bow Bul Go Gi House

Amazing Korean BBQ.

gatorade
01-29-2008, 12:10 AM
was there today that place is great

badatusrnames
01-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Honger runs Thai Express too. Malaysian and Flipino run lots of Edo's. You can't always control who your franchisee would be. It would look really fucked up if a white guy is running any of these Asian joints.

The Edo in Chinook is (or at least was) owned by a Polish family...

Quinsonaaa
01-29-2008, 12:36 AM
always eat here, and im glad they opened one up at sunridge mall near my house!!! the garlic potatoes are sweet:drool:

Speed_69
01-29-2008, 12:54 AM
ate at the new location at sunridge mall a few times now..love their food!!
the jumbo combo is awesome...so much food for only $9.