PDA

View Full Version : Employment/Staffing Agencies

redbeast
10-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Helping a friend out and wants to know if anyone here has had experiences looking for permanent work at employment or staffing agencies in Calgary. For example Bowen, Diversified, Manpower etc...

Any good places to start and how was the success rate?

Thanks

$lick_rYz
10-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Randstad is a good temp agency to go through

Takemetoothemoo
10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Depends what kind of job he is looking for.
i think he would have better luck dropping off resumes door to door.

PeterGTiR
10-03-2007, 10:31 PM
It depends what your friend is looking for: office, clerical, warehouse, construction.

If you're looking for office: Bowen is good if you have limited experience. Some places won't even talk to you unless you have some office experience - that's with education.

Example: Robert Half and Accountemps won't give you the time of day unless you have some experience - they need at least two references from different places and it has to be from someone who you had reported to.

Trini
10-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Spherion and Mark Staffing have helped me out in the past, Ranstad was a dead end for me.
there is also Maxim Group
and
Express Personel

make sure and walk with a good resume and be prepared to do some simple computer skills test dress as if you are going for an interview.

Trini
10-03-2007, 10:42 PM
forgot to add very unlikely your friend will get permanent the first time usually they will take you on as a Temp. and if you do a good job they may consider keeping you on permanent.

blainer
10-03-2007, 11:39 PM
I worked through Diversified (Industrial sector) during the summer for 6 weeks. They sent me out to a warehouse. Im sure the actual quality of the job is hit and miss but it was great for me. I stayed at the same place the whole time and enjoyed my co-workers. Diversified itself is pretty good, they will drive you out to the jobsite if u dont have wheels and your paid weekly. After two weeks they phoned the warehouse to ask me how things were goin with them and if i was wanting to stay there. If it doesn't work out so well it ur assigned company then Dan will set you up with another site the next morning.
-Blaine

Amysicle
10-04-2007, 12:37 AM
I've been with Diversified for a year now. Been offered permanent, full time positions in different offices twice now after long periods of time working in those positions as a temp. My placement consultant is pretty awesome.

I've also signed up with Marks Staffing at one point or another and I found them to be very professional. Their computer skills testing were a little more thorough. I was only with them for a week before Diversified hooked me up with a sweet job.

I've talked to some of the people from Bowen while working, so I'm not surprised to hear they'll gladly take people with limited experience on. Some of the temps from there are just useless. Dumber than a sack of knobs and I'm amazed they made it further than McDonalds. I wouldn't want to be associated with them in anyway, shape or form.

nagooro
10-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by $lick_rYz
Randstad is a good temp agency to go through
:werd: i got a pretty good office job through them

redbeast
10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Would be an office job for sure. Outside sales, junior level management jobs.

ashee
10-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Friday's seems to be pretty good.