PDA

View Full Version : Get It Right Alberta

8Ball
10-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Petition and lots more infor in the site;

http://www.getitrightalberta.ca/express_your_concerns/

Thaco
10-03-2007, 04:23 PM
The only thing that needs to be reviewed is the 7 figure incomes + monthly bonuses for the 10+ execs at each oil company.

Canmorite
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
The only thing that needs to be reviewed is the 7 figure incomes + monthly bonuses for the 10+ execs at each oil company.

Why?

Antonito
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Why?

Because making money is a crime

Thaco
10-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

Because making money is a crime

Next time you spend $1+ per litre, think about the people in the states paying 1/2-2/3 of that and tell yourself that the inflated gas prices are justified to line the exec's pockets, because "making money isn't a crime"

Antonito
10-03-2007, 04:28 PM

Next time you spend $1+ per litre, think about the people in the states paying 1/2-2/3 of that and tell yourself that the inflated gas prices are justified to line the exec's pockets

Then go live in a communist country

Melinda
10-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Next time you spend $1+ per litre, think about the people in the states paying 1/2-2/3 of that and tell yourself that the inflated gas prices are justified to line the exec's pockets
:rolleyes: way to make a total blanket statement. Yes, execs make a lot of money in the oil industry. But execs in any industry make a lot of money. A lot of what we pay at the pump is taxes, every dollar we spend on gas doesn't "line executive's pockets".

ercchry

Next time you spend $1+ per litre, think about the people in the states paying 1/2-2/3 of that and tell yourself that the inflated gas prices are justified to line the exec's pockets, because "making money isn't a crime"

maybe before you type things you should stop and think a little harder about the steps it takes for the gas to get to that pump

Thaco

I'm not a Commie, but watching the upper class get richer and the lower class get poorer... that just doesn't sit right with me. (and the only people who wouldn't agree with me are those in the upper class)

Thaco
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

maybe before you type things you should stop and think a little harder about the steps it takes for the gas to get to that pump then please, explain to me how in the most oil rich place in NA, we pay considerably more than the US for gas, who doens't have near the deposits we have.

BrknFngrs
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I wonder how much whining there will be if this cripples the ability of uneducated people to make 6 figure incomes working in the field.

Antonito
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM

I'm not a Commie, but watching the upper class get richer and the lower class get poorer... that just doesn't sit right with me. (and the only people who wouldn't agree with me are those in the upper class)

I'm by no means upper class. When rich people actually fuck over little people, like the owner of Walmart paying people $3 an hour with no overtime, fine, then I give a crap.

When the oil execs make millions, but pay the highest wages in the country to their workers, that's just good economics

Antonito
10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
then please, explain to me how in the most oil rich place in NA, we pay considerably more than the US for gas, who doens't have near the deposits we have.

I think the answer you are looking for is higher taxes

Xtrema
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM

You say you are not yet back it up with the most basic communist ideal (elimination of classes). You suck at arguing.

then please, explain to me how in the most oil rich place in NA, we pay considerably more than the US for gas, who doens't have near the deposits we have.

What are you, 12? Didn't you see the gas price drop today? When does currency fluctuation reflect in retail prices immediately? Do you know how supply and demand and refinery capacity works?

icecreamvan
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM

You fail to recognize that very very few people have the intellectual ability and experience to manage billion dollar companies. Don't let envy get to you because someone else decided to forgo partying and enjoyment earlier in their life to work towards their goals.

8Ball
10-03-2007, 04:37 PM

The ALBERTA Rich get richer and the ALBERTA poor get poorer when $$$ is spent elsewhere instead of Alberta.

USED1
10-03-2007, 04:38 PM

I'll put this out there for you to answer.... Where are the majority of refineries?

ercchry
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by USED1

I'll put this out there for you to answer.... Where are the majority of refineries?

no shit, we have contracts with the states that they get a ton of our oil then they refine it and sell it back to us

Gart
10-03-2007, 04:45 PM

damn, you beat me to it.

no shit, we have contracts with the states that they get a ton of our oil then they refine it and sell it back to us

I bet this method saves AB a bunch from evil greenhouse gases/kyoto junk though, I wonder if the extra taxes for producing the resulting emissions here ourselves(if we could..) would be more, or less than the cost of exporting it.

Ice712
10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
It's so sad how people judge oil industry because they pay $1/litre at the pump or because Joe CEO makes millions.

Do you have any idea why you don't pay PST in Alberta? Do you have any idea how many Albertans put food on their plate, paid by the oil under our province.

This proposed royalty scheme is an attempt to get a bigger piece of the pie but if it passes then there will be no pie. This is not rhetoric, this is the fact. This is another example of government greed shooting themselves in the foot.

Do you people actually want the government to have more of a surplus?? They don't even know how to spend the bags of money they already have. You will be lucky to benefit 1 cent out of the dollar the government gets a hold of.

That said Stelmach and his boys are reviewing the proposal and nothing is set in stone. Hopefully this government we elected has some sensible people making decisions and Stelmach is not as big of a yahoo as he seems.

Gart
10-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 8Ball

The ALBERTA Rich get richer and the ALBERTA poor get poorer when $$$ is spent elsewhere instead of Alberta.

I understand the cost of living here is sometimes rediculous (well, housing mainly).., but, in my opinion, the high wages for quite a few of the jobs in this province are quite high.. especially compared to every other province.

(I moved (back) into alberta to take advantage of this).

I don't see why most people can't be "rich" compared to say, their lifestyle a few years back. (Are people with a good work ethic and a steady job finding it that hard to pay bills/improve their lifestyle? -honest question, not sarcasm!)

edit: read some of the previous responses, this has kind of been said already..

Ice712
10-03-2007, 04:59 PM

It's really quite simple...higher taxes...and now they want more.

You think gas is expensive now...if this passes...watch out!

Melinda
10-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Ice712

It's really quite simple...higher taxes...and now they want more.

You think gas is expensive now...if this passes...watch out!
Same with natural gas in your homes...hope you have some good winter sweaters to keep you and your family warm this winter.

Canmorite
10-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Melinda

:rolleyes: way to make a total blanket statement. Yes, execs make a lot of money in the oil industry. But execs in any industry make a lot of money. A lot of what we pay at the pump is taxes, every dollar we spend on gas doesn't "line executive's pockets".

Exactly. If gas is too expensive, then don't buy it or cut back on your consumption :dunno:

I didn't know that the US refined it then sold it back to us. That makes more sense now...

pinoyhero
10-03-2007, 08:51 PM

Or walk, ride a bike, take the bus, decrease demand and send a market signal that the price is too high.

pinoyhero
10-03-2007, 08:52 PM

And what you your prefer, wealth distribution ... we have enough of those BS programs in this country as it is. Why play robin hood in favour of those who chose easier paths in early life or have chosen not to better themselves to gain a higher income?

pinoyhero
10-03-2007, 09:27 PM

TAX

redline
10-03-2007, 09:31 PM

the US produces and has way more oil and gas then canada...:rofl:

ryuen
10-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Right, because everybody knows the oil execs get together and conspire to set oil prices artificially high. :nut:

Tik-Tok
10-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by ryuen

Right, because everybody knows the oil execs get together and conspire to set oil prices artificially high. :nut:

Well yeah, they're the ones that force every soccer mom to buy a 20mpg SUV, and every white collar office worker to drive a 1 ton dodge mega-cab... right?

mark4091
10-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah ablerta get it together you dumbass!

^ but yeah really, if people want to pay less on gas, don't buy the god damn hummer, and you're right it's all the guys sitting in the offices all day pop out into the truck.

Justing
10-03-2007, 10:58 PM

you are so freaking stupid it pisses me off just reading your posts.

if you're REALLY so concerned about people making money, then go do some research and then come back here with some shit.

pinoyhero
10-04-2007, 06:07 AM
^Haha, whoa take it easy ... if he was concernced about making money he's realize that some of that money should be used for financial future planning and investing in which case he'd be one of the bastard owners of these companies ala owning their stock like so many other albertans

khtm
10-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by redline

the US produces and has way more oil and gas then canada...:rofl:
You almost got that right. The US produces more oil than Canada but Canada has way more reserves. In less than 10 years Canada will both "produce" and "have" more oil than the US.

icecreamvan
10-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
^Haha, whoa take it easy ... if he was concernced about making money he's realize that some of that money should be used for financial future planning and investing in which case he'd be one of the bastard owners of these companies ala owning their stock like so many other albertans

:werd: The government should take all the money and start a tourism industry like Dubai. Maybe we'll be Las Vegas North someday if we get the right Premier. :poosie:

Toma
10-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I wonder how much whining there will be if this cripples the ability of uneducated people to make 6 figure incomes working in the field.
I cant wait for that ;)

Toma
10-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ryuen

Hahahahahaha... so oil prices are not regulated,a nd just flaot around at fair market value?

NOW I have heard everything... buahahahahhahahahahahaa :rofl:

Melinda
10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Toma

Hahahahahaha... so oil prices are not regulated,a nd just flaot around at fair market value?

NOW I have heard everything... buahahahahhahahahahahaa :rofl:
No, the prices are regulated, but not by the oil execs.

punj_abi
10-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Oil and Gas is what supplies me with my living, so i'm ok wtih the price.

but what is funny is that...Look at the UAE or any other oil producing arab state: NO TAX, free health care, free homes for people who don't wanna work.

AB: tax up the ass (i'm cool with this), we can't boost our infrastructure ie. subway system. Health care IS NOT FREE. its just funny.

and we have more oil/gas then any of the arab nations.

punj_abi
10-04-2007, 10:20 AM
icecreamfan is feeling my sentiment exactly.

Toma
10-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

No prices are regulated, but not by the oil execs.
I respectfully disagree.

I would wager that the "seven sisters" have as much, if not more influence then OPEC in terms of setting prices.

And lets not forget that these sisters were the ones responsible (through sheer greed and corruption) for the formation of OPEC to begin with.

punj_abi
10-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I have to agree with Toma here.

Oil like Gold is a commodity, therefore it is traded as such, price moves due to supply and demand, not asmuch production costs.

Sure production costs have gone up, but not as much as they'd like for us to think. Obviously the 7 sisters love low production costs, high demand and low supplies, because this rings in a great profit since price goes up, but not the price to produce. henceforth greater profits. So thats why in such a market, with crazy oil "competition" there is no Oil War persay.

Gainsbarre
10-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by punj_abi

:nut: Did you actually mean to say that we pay more for oil and gas?

Antonito
10-04-2007, 10:47 AM

but what is funny is that...Look at the UAE or any other oil producing arab state: NO TAX, free health care, free homes for people who don't wanna work.

AB: tax up the ass (i'm cool with this), we can't boost our infrastructure ie. subway system. Health care IS NOT FREE. its just funny.

Their costs for production are laughable compared to ours. The extraction methods are way more cost efficient, never mind the fact that they are importing cheap labour for their facilities while we are having to pay top dollar. And they don't have other provinces taking a big chunk of their money like we do.

autosm
10-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Well since the review is a result of a campaign promise by Premier Stelmack . I would say it is the will of more than a few Albertians To make sure the fair amount is paid .

If not, next election there may be a change in goverment that is even less friendly to the oil companies like the Liberals .

icecreamvan
10-04-2007, 10:51 AM
The corrupt execs must be very smart setting the current gas prices so high. :sarcasm:

syeve
10-04-2007, 11:52 AM

This is false, the middle class has never been larger. On top of that, income is based on replace ability, these guys are not a dime a dozen.

punj_abi
10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
^ word

T-Dubbs
10-04-2007, 12:41 PM
uhh your a retard
welcome to the world of economics.....
u wanna complain?
go back to school, and get a better job

without O&G, Alberta would be a shit hole

Thaco
10-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs

uhh your a retard
welcome to the world of economics.....
u wanna complain?
go back to school, and get a better job

without O&G, Alberta would be a shit hole

Lol. With spelling and grammar like that, i think you're the one who needs schooling.

I work in the oil and gas industry, i know how things work around here...

bspot
10-04-2007, 01:34 PM
So apparently no one has done any research on this before they go an spit out misinformed opinions.

The problem with the royalty review has nothing to do with gasoline, and everthing to do with gas.

Most will admit there is room for bigger oil royalties, and I believe this is something that should happen. This will make some oilsands projects uneconomical, but no surprise, they are always on the edge of energy economics.

With gas however, the increased structure is completely misguided and hitting at a time when the gas sector is already depressed. $5 gas doesn't leave much profit room to start with. The royalty review suggests increased royalties on deep wells, which is where the majority of exploration now rests. It doesn't suggest higher royalties for conventional gas, which is dying off in Alberta anyways. The prices the review was done for and the exchange rates are all 2005 data, which has significantly changed. Deep wells are very expensive to produce, and even the best only have a 70% hit rate. The profit margins on these wells are really not that big, as they are with conventional gas. Basically, deep gas will become completely economical and largely come to a halt in Alberta. This will kill all of the rural communities who's industry is largely relliant on well service and such. Meanwhile, EnCana will just dump it's money into the States where it's now more economical to drill, and the CEO still makes his millions every year.

I think increased royalties are something that need to be looked at. They could really help calm a potentially dangerous economic trend we are riding right now. They need to be done right though, to curb the boom, not bust it. Oil royalties absolutely need to increase. Gas royalties do too, but the structure must be carefully determined as this is an industry that believe it or not is already in a little bit of trouble currently. Get things to a point where there is not a labour shortage and we have extra money to manage health facilities without multi hour lineups.

The plan as it is achieves none of this.

mark4091
10-04-2007, 05:27 PM

UAE is also spending out it's ass on expensive bullshit, when they take a fall it's going to be hard.

Myers
10-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 8Ball
Petition and lots more infor in the site;

http://www.getitrightalberta.ca/express_your_concerns/

just a heads up.. petitions on the net dont mean anything.. they ahve to be a signed name in order for a petition to even be looked at.

01RedDX
10-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Toma
10-05-2007, 12:00 AM
EDMONTON - Big Oil's Big Threat to slash investment if Alberta hikes its oil and gas royalties has triggered a Big Yawn among many Albertans.

On the heels of an exclusive Edmonton Journal / Calgary Herald poll showing that a whopping 88 per cent of Albertans believe they're not getting their "fair share" from current energy royalties, I conducted my own mini-survey Wednesday.

After polling a dozen execs at a wide range of non-energy firms -- from new vehicle dealers to sofware firms, mining outfits, builders, food processors and corporate recruiters -- the results confirm that Big Oil's furious counter-attack isn't gaining much support.

While most execs I talked to admit they're not intimately familiar with all the recommendations in the royalty review panel's recent 104-page report, or the contents of a subsequent report by Auditor-General Fred Dunn, most believe it's high time to hike royalties.

Several said the province's energy-fuelled economic boom has actually been a negative for many companies outside the oilpatch, since it has driven up the cost of labour and materials, while making it tougher to attract workers.

Moreover, the tough talk from such oilpatch execs as EnCana Corp. CEO Randy Eresman -- who recently threatened to slash his company's 2008 capital spending plans in Alberta by $1 billion if royalties are increased -- seems to be backfiring.

"My back gets up a little bit when EnCana says we'll spend $1 billion less, and there will be fewer hotel rooms booked, and less restaurant spending," said Ed Rodenburg, CEO of Edmonton-based Lilydale Foods.

"As a businessman in this province, that would actually be OK with me. For those of us who aren't in the energy industry, all that's happened in the last two or three years is that our operating costs have gone up significantly. So, quite honestly, a slowdown in development in Alberta would be a positive thing, from our perspective."

David Aplin, CEO of Edmonton-based David Aplin Recruiting, a professional recruitment firm with offices across Canada, is also unsympathetic to the major energy companies.

"Deferring the (oilsands) royalties until companies got a return seemed like a pretty decent business decision when oil prices were in the teens and the twenties. But here we are with $70 or $80 oil, so it's a totally different scenario," he said.

"If you had another 10 panels look at it, they would all conclude that there's been substantive changes that make it mandatory that the government look at this, and that it likely should be charging more going forward."

Ashif Mawji, founder and CEO of Edmonton-based Upside Software, says it's reasonable for energy companies to expect a "transition period" before a new royalty regime is introduced.

"But companies need to be realistic that things will change, and they will have to pay more. They should just work with the government to come up with the right balance," he said.

Like Rodenburg, Mawji said slowing down the torrid pace of oilsands development wouldn't be a bad thing, if it reduces the rate of inflation, makes housing more affordable, and allows governments to catch up on their glaring infrastructure deficits.

Several of Upside's 135 employees have left for Saskatchewan, where living costs are lower. "It really boils down to cost of living. If you look at the growth in salaries it hasn't corresponded to the growth in house prices," he said.

Mawji said his father's hotel business in Whitecourt has also suffered. The hotel was forced to shut its restaurant due to chronic staff shortages, and it also put off expansion plans, due to soaring construction costs.

Gary Nash, CEO of Liberty Mines, an Edmonton-based junior nickel producer with properties in Ontario, gives the six-member royalty review panel two thumbs up for a job well done. He too thinks rates should be raised.

Eleanor
10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
If you don't like oil or gas prices, don't buy it. Plain and simple. Everyone blames oil companies for charging too much but it's not their fault for high gas prices, it's ours. If you keep paying for it, they'll keep charging it. Plain and simple. If everyone decides not to drive to work, gas prices will come down.