PDA

View Full Version : Next Mayor Of Calgary?

Pages : [1] 2

Team_BMW
10-03-2007, 08:42 PM
So I didn't see a thread started about this but, what are your guy's concerns? Opinions? or perhaps most of you might not care, and don't care to vote at all.

Election Date: October 15, 2007. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Candidate List for Mayor:
David Bertram
Dave Bronconnier - Joindave.com
Elizabeth Kaur Fielding - Campaign Website
Allan Foster
Harry Heck - Harryformayor.ca
Alexander "Sandy" Jenkins - Electsandyjenkins.com
Alnoor Kassam - Goalnoor.com
Jonathan Joseph "JJ" Sunstrum -
Jeremy Zhao - jeremyzhao.com

and what do you guys think of Jeremy Zhoa running for mayor even though he's like 19, going to U of C.

More info on the General Election of 2007:

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=295&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=34&mode=2&in_hi_userid=2&cached=true

dj_rice
10-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I like Dave Bronco but yes I dont care to vote at all

toomuchb00st
10-03-2007, 08:46 PM
haha al noor for the win..

just kidding:english:

pinoyhero
10-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Bronco in a run away victory, no one evens know s the contenders other than alnoor, who is bascially wanted in Kenya for extorting $23MM ... yeahhhhno

Team_BMW
10-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Bronco in a run away victory, no one evens know s the contenders other than alnoor, who is bascially wanted in Kenya for extorting $23MM ... yeahhhhno

whoa... my buddies were talking about this! but I didn't think it was true... holy crap. I'm not voting for that guy! I don't think most Calgarians will if he's a wanted man in another country.

Team_BMW
10-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Team_BMW

whoa... my buddies were talking about this! but I didn't think it was true... holy crap. I'm not voting for that guy! I don't think most Calgarians will if he's a wanted man in another country.

EDIT:

Found an article but don't know how creditable this is...

http://www.eastandard.net/archives/cl/hm_news/news.php?articleid=1143960051&date=24/10/2006

mark4091
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
www.Goalnoor.com lol

toyboy88
10-03-2007, 09:36 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/191662/october-15-will-you-vote/

:)

spikerS
10-03-2007, 09:37 PM
really anyone but bronco, got i hate that fucking whiney little school girl bitch. you know the really ugly one, with the high pitched voice, who was either trying to steal you stuff, or always complaining that it was ok for her 17 year old brother to stay up till 10, and she had to goto bed at 8:30. god i want to wrap my hands around his scrawny neck!

Was going to vote for alnoor, as he is the only other person i could have listed for mayor. but heard how he has treated his tenants as a landlord, and with that above article, i gotta find someone else.

bobby_lu
10-03-2007, 09:38 PM
I didnt read most of it but 2 million Kenyan shillings is like $40K CAD

zyketti
10-03-2007, 09:39 PM
are you shitting me?
how is a 19 year old guy going to lead the city?
if elected, is he going to cut back on school? or....??!

rmk
^^^ I like that in a MAYOR. Personal agenda, maybe. But he is someone who sticks up for Calgary and got much needed money. Who cares if he is a whiney, liberal asshole. Out of the pack, he is the only serious guy.

Al-noor is a joke.

ercchry
i saw one of alnoor's signs with the face cut out and another one that had no or something written on it haha i had a good chuckle

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
I like Bronconnier... hate Al Noor because of the MASS of signs... and phone calls... But I think I'll vote for Jeremy... Just because

TVG
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
LOL wtf that jeremy zhao guy is from my high school

turbotrip
10-03-2007, 10:19 PM
haha i was in a class with that jeremy guy this summer and at the end of the semester he got up and said "hi im running for mayor please vote for me" and everyone just started laughing lol

culebra
10-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Anyone but Bronco +1
I didn't mind the heavy traffic, road jam and all those issues came from city infra improvement plan.

my only favor is "do more spending on snow removal"

frozenrice
10-03-2007, 11:42 PM
There was a bunch of Alnoor signs knocked over along 69th St today. In some ways I feel sorry for him because he's probably spending crapload of money on his campaign, yet he doesn't really have any real chance of winning. Calgary is still a bit too redneck for someone like him.

harv91
10-04-2007, 12:16 AM
wow if u drive down 32nd between 52nd and 36th, there are about 50-60 of Al Noor's little signs and every single sign, someone cut off his head.
I would say its vandalism if they did it to 1 or 2 or even 5-10 signs, but they did it to every sign on both sides of the road. Someone really doesn't want him to win lol

toomuchb00st
10-04-2007, 12:24 AM
haha i just drove down 32nd and was hysterical about the al noor signs without the heads. funny stuff.

Xtrema
10-04-2007, 12:33 AM
al noor is openly shady. I can't believe anyone even put him on the short list

msommers
10-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Bronc whines and bitches a lot, but we've also gotten things out of it. If he sat back and was a push-over, imagine the things we wouldn't have. I personally think he bitches the same amount as other citizens: where are our tax dollars going, why don't we have upgraded/more schools, our infrastructure is busting where is our money etc etc. Only thing that makes him sound whiny and bitchy is the fact that he says what we are all thinking to the media.

My .02

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-04-2007, 08:07 AM
True enough. Bronc comes off to me as another citizen trying to get shit done around here. Maybe he doesn't do it the way others would, but he gets results.

LLLimit
10-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
There was a bunch of Alnoor signs knocked over along 69th St today. In some ways I feel sorry for him because he's probably spending crapload of money on his campaign.

the news said yesterday the money you raise for your mayoral campaign doesnt need to be announced, and you can keep all you want

urban.one
10-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Many of the posts in this thread call him "Al Noor."

I also thought the guys name was "Al Noor" with Al being short for an foreign sounding name and not Allan or Albert.

Turns out the guys name is "Alnoor Kassam". Im guessing he was trying to play down the ethnicity of his name but this seems almost a bit shady.

Anyways, I find it interesting that I seem to not be the only with calling him Al Noor and not Alnoor Kassam.

Hash_man
10-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Lots of these people running seem like theyd be pretty useless as mayor. I'm not overly happy with Bronco, but the way the city is going right now with growth, crime, and transit/transportation issues.. I fail to see how throwing someone new in office would help the situation one bit.

Antonito
10-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by spikers
really anyone but bronco, got i hate that fucking whiney little school girl bitch. you know the really ugly one, with the high pitched voice, who was either trying to steal you stuff, or always complaining that it was ok for her 17 year old brother to stay up till 10, and she had to goto bed at 8:30. god i want to wrap my hands around his scrawny neck!

Do you have any legitamite problems with Bronco other than that he "sounds like a little bitch"?

icecreamvan
10-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Yea...he's a suit. I hate suits. :rofl:

euro_racer
10-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Bronc whines and bitches a lot, but we've also gotten things out of it. If he sat back and was a push-over, imagine the things we wouldn't have. I personally think he bitches the same amount as other citizens: where are our tax dollars going, why don't we have upgraded/more schools, our infrastructure is busting where is our money etc etc. Only thing that makes him sound whiny and bitchy is the fact that he says what we are all thinking to the media.

My .02

Originally posted by Hash_man
Lots of these people running seem like theyd be pretty useless as mayor. I'm not overly happy with Bronco, but the way the city is going right now with growth, crime, and transit/transportation issues.. I fail to see how throwing someone new in office would help the situation one bit.

:werd: :werd:
even if i was going to vote i would vote for Bronco simply because i personally see calgary going somewhere under his power with all the new developments and substituting a new mayor would almost be like starting all over

Team_BMW
10-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeh Jeremy FTW!! just cause :D lol

finboy
10-04-2007, 04:32 PM

My .02

:werd:

signature7
10-04-2007, 05:00 PM
i bet quite a few people are going to vote for JZ just cause hah.. so tvg you a knight? what year did you graduate?

cdnsir
10-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Bronco! He fought hard for our money, and he got it! Now, we should give him a chance to see what how he can improve our city with that new budget.

Now to rant... That Jeremy ccksuck!? Go home and play Simcity bitch! If we want some kid to run our town, we might as well go all the way and just elect a puddle of semen as our next mayor(s).

Oh, I also hate those "Go Alnoor" signs. Each and everyone of them just annoy the fck outta me when I drive by them!

kertejud
10-04-2007, 05:24 PM

My .02

Exactly my feelings. The people are bitching all the time, why not the mayor? You show me somebody who can do a better job, I'll consider voting for him, but when the main candidates are a guy with a shady past and a university student with an immature campaign, I'm going to stick with what we've got.

spikerS
10-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

Do you have any legitamite problems with Bronco other than that he "sounds like a little bitch"?

where to start....

biggest thing. when the province reduced propery taxes, what did the mayor do? increased the city taxes to gobble that money up, instead of letting the average joe enjoy the extra $60 on average. It is only $60 you might say, but $60 can buy a weeks worth of groceries. take your kids to a night out. might even make the differance to let you kid play hockey this year. with soo many people in calgary that are below or near the poverty line, it is a big deal.

2, Bronco has initiated so many new taxes. and now wants to impose taxes like an entertainment tax. taxed on going to a movie, or the opera or the wave pool. great! calgary is already one of the most expensive cities to live in, why not make it more so! this is not going to help our labour shortage.

I know you are all going to say, we need the money for infrastructure. and I agree. however he is trying to do it all at once, instead of pacing it out. Oh, you say it is long over due? well, we have survived this long, and we can survive a bit longer.

sooo many more things i could point out, but i gotta log back in at work.

ninjak84
10-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Dave Bronc will win.

I saw Alnoor walking a little while ago.
He was angrily talking on his cell phone, mean-mugging everyone he passed.
:thumbsdow

G-ZUS
10-04-2007, 05:31 PM
al noor is on face book

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2365503604

kertejud
10-04-2007, 05:40 PM

I know you are all going to say, we need the money for infrastructure. and I agree. however he is trying to do it all at once, instead of pacing it out. Oh, you say it is long over due? well, we have survived this long, and we can survive a bit longer.

The problem Calgary has had is that we've been pacing things out for too long. The city has always been reactive. With the massive boom, it will only get worse the longer we put things off.

What the city is doing now should have been done 5 years ago, even 10 years ago. We are still playing catch-up with our infrastructure.

spikerS
10-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by kertejud

The problem Calgary has had is that we've been pacing things out for too long. The city has always been reactive. With the massive boom, it will only get worse the longer we put things off.

What the city is doing now should have been done 5 years ago, even 10 years ago. We are still playing catch-up with our infrastructure.

true enough, but when this "boom" is done, are they going to return our property taxes back to what they were? NO, they will keep it, and brush it under the rug.

Bronco is stealing everyone's money, so that he can keep building without a second's thought to who it might be hurting.

Team_BMW
10-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Hehehe.... Facebook FTW!

euro_racer
10-05-2007, 12:01 AM
lol looking at the alnoor facebook group i noticed 2 things...

someone threw a question at alnoor with the reguards to his past (being a fugitive and all)

and 2nd after seeing one of the pictures i could not help but think of the movie "sin city" :rofl:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/karnaibsg/alnoor2.jpg

kaput
10-05-2007, 08:19 AM

4doorj
10-05-2007, 08:27 AM
i like Dave Bronconnier, he gets things done :thumbsup:
well that i know of... i dont really keep track :rofl:

Crymson
10-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I beleive the answer on alnoors facebook group was that the allegegations were throughly dismissed in his immigration process.

Antonito
10-05-2007, 09:17 AM

true enough, but when this "boom" is done, are they going to return our property taxes back to what they were? NO, they will keep it, and brush it under the rug.

Bronco is stealing everyone's money, so that he can keep building without a second's thought to who it might be hurting.

Unless he is putting the money in his pocket, he isn't "stealing" anything.

I understand that some people can't afford the higher property taxes, but that's the sad reality in a boom town. When the majority of people are making twice as much as they were before, you can't keep the city as a shithole to keep the people who were not able to jump on the money train happy.

alloroc
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure Alnoor would be a good choice.

Shared housing may be good idea for people starting out but it would totally undermine everyone who already owns a home and has purchased one in the last 8 years. A significant drop in housing would cause a lot of current homeowners to go bankrupt when it comes time to refinance. The market is already correcting itself just fine and it doesn't need any help.

Just figured out why Alnoor wants this.

Alnoor probably got a stash of cash set aside to start buying houses once they foreclose so he can gain more rental properties.

Sneaky shady bastage.

tom_seng
10-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Question...what would be wrong with Sandy Jenkins?

To start off....he's proposing to have a subway under 8th ave. that will replace our ridiculous LRT on 7th ave.

That doesn't seem too ludicrous...

can someone prove me wrong?

Antonito
10-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by tom_seng
Question...what would be wrong with Sandy Jenkins?

To start off....he's proposing to have a subway under 8th ave. that will replace our ridiculous LRT on 7th ave.

That doesn't seem too ludicrous...

can someone prove me wrong?

The price would be astronomical for something that would work only marginally better that what is currently there. The C-Train may suck, but it's there, and it works.....most of the time.

There are so many things this city needs more than a subway, and not enough money to do any of it, unless we are going to pay 80% taxes.

Team_BMW
10-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Antonito

The price would be astronomical for something that would work only marginally better that what is currently there. The C-Train may suck, but it's there, and it works.....most of the time.

There are so many things this city needs more than a subway, and not enough money to do any of it, unless we are going to pay 80% taxes.

There's a subway system already built and in place, just needs to be further developed. So it can't cost too much more money could it?

QuasarCav
10-05-2007, 11:48 AM

There's a subway system already built and in place, just needs to be further developed. So it can't cost too much more money could it?

Not at all Steve, just throw some trains down there and away we go.

slick2404
10-05-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5553864988

Antonito
10-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Not at all Steve, just throw some trains down there and away we go.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mountainman_906
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
It seems the facebook group doesn't like negative comments about Alnoor.

I posted this quote:

"But he was engaged in a far more lucrative deal: he was an illegal foreign exchange dealer. The laws governing foreign exchange in Kenya at the time prohibited off-shore bank accounts and required declaration of all foreign currency, no matter how tiny the amounts. "

From the site:
http://www.eastandard.net/archives/cl/hm_news/news.php?articleid=1143960051

I think the article is based on an interview with Alnoor himself.

I also mentioned that an immigration tribunal may not care too much about illegal business practices.

They subsequently deleted my post and kicked me out of the group! (Unless some weird random deletion happened from FB itself :) )

So Dave will get my vote again.

<giani>
10-05-2007, 12:42 PM
it only matters to you who you vote for ... just as long as you vote

vote or DIE:guns:!!!!

Eleanor
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Three cheers for spoiling the ballot! Or maybe i should just vote for JZ

tom_seng
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Jeeremy Zhao FTW!

bituerbo
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Alnoor is a shady guy with a shady past. He left Kenya amid a scandal and he was never cleared of this - he just moved before he could be prosecuted. Canada never dismissed him of these charges - they don't have the authority to dismiss a charge issued by the governing body of another nation. So if by 'dismissed' you mean 'overlooked', then yes, it was dismissed.

Also, Alnoor has been labelled by his former tennants as a slumlord. If my current landlord was running for mayor, I'd be supporting them, as they are good people and have proven they can manage a building properly, taking care of our concerns properly (my old landlord... not so much). These are people with first hand experience with Alnoor in a position where leadership is a critical requirement - and they are saying don't vote for him.

Lastly, the infrastructure for a subway under 8th ave is already in place (tunnel etc - I've been down to check it before, and you can see it branch off when you are heading northbound when you leave victoria park stampede station coming out of the existing tunnel beofre you get downtown).

I'll be voting Bronco - as he hasn't let us down yet.

odin7
10-07-2007, 03:54 AM
god.. alnoor is soo fucking gay.. I didn't even know about his extortions.. I would never vote for someone from that part of the world. ever.

EK 2.0
10-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by kaput

I don't understand why there hasn't been a big media scandal over Alnoors past, does that mean it isn't true?

He is one of "my people". And by that I mean my ethnicity. I had asked my mama if it was true and she said yes. I mean it happened many years before my family and I had left Tanzania Africa, BUT...it did happen. My mom was foggy on the details of the amount of money, but when it did happen so many years ago it was a HUGE HUGE scandal. She also somewhat thinks he may have been exonerated, BUT cannot 100% confirm that, she is trying to find out for me...but meh don't matter to me hes not getting my vote.

You vote ONE brown guy in, and soon enough hes got his friends working for him, and the city turns into one big 7-11...(Kwik-e-Mart)...get it get it?? haha...

I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him haha...

I miss Al Duerr screw Alnoor.

D'z Nutz
10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
You vote ONE brown guy in, and soon enough hes got his friends working for him, and the city turns into one big 7-11...(Kwik-e-Mart)...get it get it?? haha...

Hahaha :rofl:

ZEDGE
10-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I had no idea about Alnoor.. glad I read this thread. :thumbsup:

403Gemini
10-07-2007, 06:36 PM
so if no to alnoor, and definatly no to bronco, who is the next least evil person ? ;)

Dehvee
10-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Vote Jeremy Zhao!

Team_BMW
10-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Dehvee
Vote Jeremy Zhao!

YEH! Jeremy FTW!!! lol

Gainsbarre
10-08-2007, 08:33 AM

YEH! Jeremy FTW!!! lol

Yes, me too....my rule is that if I don't know who to vote for, I'll vote for the Chinese candidate (as I did in the 2004 and 2006 federal elections).

Eleanor
10-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by odin7
god.. alnoor is soo fucking gay.. I didn't even know about his extortions.. I would never vote for someone from that part of the world. ever.

WTF racist much? Not everyone from there is an extortionist. :whipped:

BigBadBear
10-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Screw Bronco!!
When the lying pile o'poo was running for mayor, he was the guy that "broke" the whole Lynnwood Ridge story.

6 years and millions of your dollars later, the whole area and it's 300 affordable housing units are completely flattened and fenced. Yeah way to solve that problem, eh?

What next? Solve the homeless problem with gas chambers?

And whats up with wanting the west LRT before fixing the downtown bottleneck? Oh that's right, Dave lives out there.

Tax and spend, tax and spend. How fuckin original.

Toma
10-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately, Bronco is the only guy that knows how to run a city out of the bunch.

Love him or hate him, you gotta face the fact that he was stuck running Calgary amidst our biggest boom in history, a bigger boom then ANYONE even imagined prior to..... and you know.... overall.... things are pretty good.

He is a business man, and that is what we need now.

Also, Property Taxes have not gone up much at all. Fuck, nowhere near what I had expected as housing tripled. Housing triples in Broncos Term, taxes went up MAYBE 20%.

What's the fuss?

As for Alnoor and his "suite" solution.... Secondary suites are already legal if they are to code, and even the non conforming/illegal ones the city is temporarily turning a blind eye during this "housing crisis" (whatever the fuck that is).

By making shady suites legal, slum lords will profit, and people with legit second suites will have their property values fall.

There is no housing crisis. There are lotsa houses. There is a "not enough money to buy a house" crisis. Some wages in Alberta have skyrocketed, others have stagnated, has nothing to do with a housing "shortage".

Could be MUCH worse. You could be an idiot in Saskatoon paying Calgary housing prices :eek:

Here's my sweet solution..... can't afford a house in Calgary? Don't move here. If you live here and cant pay the rent... move to Winnipeg or Cape Berton :drool:

Mckenzie
10-08-2007, 10:48 AM
I dont really like any of the candidates except for Bronco- although he needs a fresh perspective on a couple of issues maybe.

Alnoor is a shady cat though....I read an article in the herald yesterday about him and would never vote for him. Between his little scam at Trade Bank and his double-talking rhetoric about the housing crisis, I would never want this guy in charge of Calgary (he is a slumlord himself and was one of the people featured on the news about increasing the rent of his tenants from $650 to $2500 a month so he could kick them out and build luxury condos....)

As for the comment above about not being able to afford to live here, that is pretty narrow minded in my opinion. Fair enough if you cannot afford to buy, but the people who can barely afford to rent are the ones pumping your gas, serving your tables, making your subway sandwich and cleaning your luxury hotel room. There should be more affordable rental properties in the city- not everyone works in the oil and gas sector where money grows on trees and everything under the sun is affordable. They are the nuts and bolts of an incredibly fragile service industry that is near full employment- without them, everyone suffers. I'd love to watch what happens to this city when these people leave- all the rich people who own property would lose their shirts because there would be no one to rent their outrageous properties to....only then would the city's cost of living come back to normal.

frozenrice
10-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by euro_racer
lol looking at the alnoor facebook group i noticed 2 things...

someone threw a question at alnoor with the reguards to his past (being a fugitive and all)

and 2nd after seeing one of the pictures i could not help but think of the movie &quot;sin city&quot; :rofl:

Dukes of Hazzard FTW!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/frozenrice/portal1_02.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/frozenrice/cletus_x.gif

Toma
10-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but while housing tripled, rents in most cases certainly have not even double.

8 years ago, my $130k forest lawn house rented for $860 up, $600 down. Now its worth $360k and rents for $1100 up, and $950 down. I could PROBABLY squeeze it up to $1200 and $1000....

That is FAR from a crisis. House prices have FAR outpaced rents. Like you mention, the stupid rent increases you were seeing were intended to get tenants out for redevelopment.

And puhlease.... if you cant afford rent... I have some suggestions.... do less drugs, party less, drink less, spend less on clothes, take the bus.... oh, and what I had to do when I was at University 15 years ago... get 2 room-mates.

kertejud
10-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBear
Screw Bronco!!
When the lying pile o'poo was running for mayor, he was the guy that "broke" the whole Lynnwood Ridge story.

6 years and millions of your dollars later, the whole area and it's 300 affordable housing units are completely flattened and fenced. Yeah way to solve that problem, eh?

I think too ate too much sand in Lynnview Ridge as a kid.

What next? Solve the homeless problem with gas chambers?

Perhaps we should make them all live in an area contaminated with industrial waste.

And whats up with wanting the west LRT before fixing the downtown bottleneck? Oh that's right, Dave lives out there.

How would you propose fixing the downtown bottleneck?

Tax and spend, tax and spend. How fuckin original.

You really are an idiot.

Big Dangerous
10-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Go Bronco. Anyone but that fucking Alnoor slimeball fucker.

coolme
10-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Alnoor taught at MRC (not sure if he's still there) so it's not surprising he's on facebook. Go Bronco!

Big Dangerous
10-09-2007, 12:40 AM
I love how Alnoor advertised here that's laughable.

mountainman_906
10-09-2007, 07:43 AM
The media finally wrote on Alnoor Kassam's shadiness:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/features/election/story.html?id=3e475b2b-d19a-49c2-b97e-db6e9836d9ab&k=13903

I love how he flaunts his illegal activities in Kenya.

Antonito
10-09-2007, 07:55 AM
I bet you at least a few people go to the polls looking for Al Noor, and get a big shock when it's actually Alnoor Kassam, and change their vote on the spot

BigBadBear
10-09-2007, 08:28 AM

I think too ate too much sand in Lynnview Ridge as a kid.

Perhaps we should make them all live in an area contaminated with industrial waste.

How would you propose fixing the downtown bottleneck?

You really are an idiot.

Nope.
Like Erinwoods, Forest Lawn, Saddleridge, Inglewood and Douglasdale? To name a few.
Put the LRT underground using the tunnels that are already built.
If you ever move out of your moms basement and start paying taxes, maybe one day you will understand.
But I highly doubt it. :rolleyes:

Antonito
10-09-2007, 08:48 AM

Nope.
Like Erinwoods, Forest Lawn, Saddleridge, Inglewood and Douglasdale? To name a few.
If you ever move out of your moms basement and start paying taxes, maybe one day you will understand.

Yes, because once someone begins paying taxes, they sure want to have to pay more. :rolleyes:

Those tunnels are there, but they are incomplete, and still need lots of work, which would cost lots of money.

kertejud
10-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Nope.

Signal Hill, Rosscarrock, Glamorgan, Strathcona. I can play this game too.

The one tunnel that is underground and incomplete you mean? We will also have to build stations underneath downtown, doesn't come cheap. How are we going to pay for all this?

Perhaps if you understood municipal economics and the cost of major transportation projects you would understand why taxes have gone up.

Big Dangerous
10-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Bronconnier has been in business in Calgary for a long time. He's done well for us regardless of traffic. It's getting better. He hasn't really shit the bed at all. I back Bronconnier.

Besides, I can see Alnoor tanking property values so he can capitalize on the resulting bankruptcies and forclosures.

Ice712
10-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I can say one thing about Alnoor...he certainly doesn't mind spending money on his campain...his mug is everywhere.

I'm normally apathetic regarding civic election, probably due to the fact that the incumbent is usually doing a decent job. This year I'm going make sure I vote to do my part to ensure that shady Kassam is not the mayor of my city.

01RedDX
10-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Graham_A_M
10-09-2007, 06:20 PM
(taken from another forum)

http://www.eastandard.net/archives/cl/hm_news/news.php?articleid=1143960051&date=24/10/2006

...discuss:)

kertejud
10-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Ward 11 or not, my mind's made up, I'm going for Evonne Whelan, certifiable MILF.

Yeah, she's defintely a looker.

That being said, if Rockwell can represent a Ward half as good as he can make a burger, he's got my vote!

euro_racer
10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
sweeettt my picture is being used for this :rofl:

BlkMaxima
10-09-2007, 06:28 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

ekguy
10-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i saw one of alnoor's signs with the face cut out and another one that had no or something written on it haha i had a good chuckle

would the cut face one be in chaparal by any change?? cuz i seen that today hehe

Team_BMW
10-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Sorry guys... I'm the guy spray painting Alnoor with devil horns and stuff...

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/6613/noalnoorbv6.jpg

Caption: I'm so happy I'm a shady guy! They'll never know!

Graham_A_M
10-09-2007, 06:56 PM
HAHAHA!!! Serious? Fucking great!

Driving home, there is a sign that says "Vote Alnoor"
so somebody spray painted "WHY?" on it... :rofl:

Team_BMW
10-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Yeah, she's defintely a looker.

That being said, if Rockwell can represent a Ward half as good as he can make a burger, he's got my vote!

PIC???

ahh found the site for her..

http://members.shaw.ca/pixeldust/ewhalenward11/home.htm

Not many pics though :(

rmk
10-09-2007, 09:46 PM

PIC???

ahh found the site for her..

http://members.shaw.ca/pixeldust/ewhalenward11/home.htm

Not many pics though :(

I saw her signs along Elbow Dr. over the weekend. :hitit: Ald. Druh Farrell is sexy herself.

al-ti2d
10-09-2007, 10:13 PM
one of my close friends is jeremy's neighbour haha.. my buddy tells me that jeremy told him that he's running for mayor just for the experience. jeremy knows he's not going to be able to win an election for mayor at the age of 19... i think he's pretty smart about getting the experience for the future tho

Paulhammer
10-09-2007, 10:22 PM
My 2 cents:

I'm voting for anyone but Bronco, since it appears he can't get things done in this town.

Transport wise, our resources are spread so thin, nothing gets done, and nearly every major roadway is in a state of constant construction. This doesn't work.

The EMS issue. The 'unbiased' mediator sided 100% with the city, giving the EMS, the people who save your life if you're dying, NOTHING. Isn't that just magical. Unacceptable. Being an EMT or Paramedic is a highly trained position, and they have knowledge rivaling that of other health care professionals. Seriously, calgary transit workers make more than EMTs.

Personally i think Bronco, if he wins, needs to get his head out of his ass on lots of issues.

And for the record, i think Bronco is just as shady, if not more so than Alnoor.

dimi
10-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I have read most of the candidates' platforms and I still don't see anyone more suited for the position than Bronco.

I have also watched the Alnoor facebook group very closely. As soon as someone mentions anything about his past, the post is deleted and he is kicked out of the group.

Team_BMW
10-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by dimi
I have read most of the candidates' platforms and I still don't see anyone more suited for the position than Bronco.

I have also watched the Alnoor facebook group very closely. As soon as someone mentions anything about his past, the post is deleted and he is kicked out of the group.

Yup happened to me! lol I flamed that homo and they kicked me outta the group. LOL!!

Umm Bronco is really the best we have until someone young steps up and is willing to address all the issues we have in Calgary. You can't just satisfy all, you have to satisfy majority. Jeremy is making a big step in running for Mayor but again you need $$$ to jump start your campaign, and try your best to get support. Not a lot of people is willing to support a 19 year old since he's so young.

403Gemini
10-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
(taken from another forum)

http://www.eastandard.net/archives/cl/hm_news/news.php?articleid=1143960051&amp;date=24/10/2006

...discuss:)

Which forum was that? Page 2 of this thread? http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192707&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=2

:poosie: ;) haha

Euro838
10-10-2007, 10:40 AM
What I don't understand is that why are there so many inexperienced candidates from what I have seen? I mean there are no alderman(persons) or other recognizable people ie. department heads, city officials, association leaders, etc. I'd love to see someone else take over the reigns on this city but the last thing I would want to see is some spinless schmuck get bowled over more because they've never dealt with politics before.

Most of the candidates seem to have only popped out of the woodwork in the past 2-3 months. They have no achievements to show that I have seen (and no, I have not dug into their background or history but I shouldn't have to). The only person that I recognize is Al Koenig, the police association leader. Even he is not vying for the top job. If you think about the city as a business, the CEO is usually promoted from within. For all I know about these people, they could have moved to Calgary in the past 2 years.

I've been watching Global news and when they go and interview the candidates, most can hardly put two sentences together on why they should be voted in. Maybe I'm just naive and the reality is that nobody wants to run the city so the election is really just a meaningless political circus. In the end, all of us will just continue to pay whatever taxes are implemented and not care about whatever money is wasted by our municipal government.

sputnik
10-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
What I don't understand is that why are there so many inexperienced candidates from what I have seen? I mean there are no alderman(persons) or other recognizable people ie. department heads, city officials, association leaders, etc. I'd love to see someone else take over the reigns on this city but the last thing I would want to see is some spinless schmuck get bowled over more because they've never dealt with politics before.

Most of the candidates seem to have only popped out of the woodwork in the past 2-3 months. They have no achievements to show that I have seen (and no, I have not dug into their background or history but I shouldn't have to). The only person that I recognize is Al Koenig, the police association leader. Even he is not vying for the top job. If you think about the city as a business, the CEO is usually promoted from within. For all I know about these people, they could have moved to Calgary in the past 2 years.

I've been watching Global news and when they go and interview the candidates, most can hardly put two sentences together on why they should be voted in. Maybe I'm just naive and the reality is that nobody wants to run the city so the election is really just a meaningless political circus. In the end, all of us will just continue to pay whatever taxes are implemented and not care about whatever money is wasted by our municipal government.

Most of the candidates are on a shoestring budget or are funding their campaign on their own (Alnoor).

Bronco has tons of money for his campaign and the other aldermen really have no way of raising that kind of money while they are in city hall.

Antonito
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Euro838

Good points. There is no replacement for political experience. You can be the smartest man in the world, but if you don't know how to work the system, you aren't going to do anything but get made to look a fool.

Also, it doesn't surprise me no one intelligent, or without alterior motives, wants to run, who would want to be mayor right now? No matter what you do, people will want you to do more, but with less money. Everyone wants an Autobahn and personal limo service from the city, but god forbid they raise taxes. Because don't forget, O&G causes magic money to float down from the sky.