PDA

View Full Version : Can a USB stick transfer a virus?

5hift
10-03-2007, 09:06 PM
If I transfered a bunch of songs from my computer onto a usb data stick that belongs to my friend

and he only had two word docs previously on it.

If data was only transfered from my computer to his usb stick, is there any chance I could have gotten a virus from that USB stick?

I have that free AVG running but for some reason I have a feeling his USB stick did something as my computer seems to be running considerably slower and did freeze when I tried to open Itunes after removing the data stick.

Unrelated or did he fuck something up?

Any advice/suggestions from the experts would be appricaited.

GQBalla
10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
yes it can

Tik-Tok
10-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Your computer just used a dirty needle.

GQBalla
10-03-2007, 09:16 PM
lol ^^^

technically it can. but the virus could have come from the mp3s too.

5hift
10-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Fuck, this is the kinda guy that probably would have viruses on his computer and do something like this.

I have AVG free but thats probably useless.

I have so much work on this computer I would be fucked if it crashed. What can I dL or do to repair whatever that USB stick did?

5hift
10-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
lol ^^^

No my computer already had the music, and had no viruses. I've had tons of music on my comp for a long time and never had any problems.

One minute after he takes out his USB stick, my computer crashes when I try to launch Itunes, and now just seems slower doing anything. I ran a lengthy AVG full scan and it found nothing just now.

Intent_Fire
10-03-2007, 09:32 PM
avg is pretty good.. update your definitions and scan your computer.. and if you think somethings up, backup your pc and reformat... problem solved.

GQBalla
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
update your AVG

boot in safe mode

scan

reboot

5hift
10-03-2007, 09:36 PM
by updating definitions, do you just mean, make sure its the most up to date version? My last update is listed as this morning. I could be just paranoid about this usb stick doing something, but I have a ton of work and music that I would be very choked to lose. Backing up would take quite a while with the amount of music I have, would a system restore to yesterday work?

redline
10-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
lol ^^^

well the last time i checked (and i admit it was a while ago, rage2 would have more up to date info).

But the mp3 standard had not been hacked and could not contain a virus.

But a .wsf renamed to a .mp3 would still play in something like media player and the .wsf would play music like an mp3 and could have harmful code payload as well.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Doesn't really sound like a virus if AVG can't find anything... I've had AVG find stuff, norton can't... :dunno:

Maybe it's just placebo effect? Spyware?

YCB
10-03-2007, 11:03 PM
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

GTS Jeff
10-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
by updating definitions, do you just mean, make sure its the most up to date version? My last update is listed as this morning. I could be just paranoid about this usb stick doing something, but I have a ton of work and music that I would be very choked to lose. Backing up would take quite a while with the amount of music I have, would a system restore to yesterday work? A system restore would probably do the trick if it's not a virus. Try it.

And you should back dat shit up if you care about it. Double sided DVDRs can hold a lot.

SigmaRacing
10-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Many viruses these days have detection avoidance built in. They can hide from your AV software and still remain even in safe mode. Polymophism is a good example of how modern viruses are defeating some of the best signature based anti virus apps. Also, there is no reasonable way to ensure that you don't have a virus, only ways to minimize the chance of getting one. Viruses don't have to attach to a file. Its most common that they do, but they could also infect other aspects of the media connected to your computer where a trust domain exists.

I suggest you try multiple virus and malware scanners (since no one product catches everything), and ensure that you have a good backup policy in case you do have to wipe the hard disk.

BTW, research some non-free virus apps and pick a good one for future protection.

Best of luck.

5hift
10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
A system restore would probably do the trick if it's not a virus. Try it.

And you should back dat shit up if you care about it. Double sided DVDRs can hold a lot.

I'm going to start backing things up, if I lost everything I would be fucked or at least really pissed. The work is all word docs and should backup easily, however I have a ton of music in Itunes, and the way I was thinking of doing it would take forever so I'm hoping there is a better way. Is there an easy way to back up all my music and tvshows/movies?

modded46
10-04-2007, 09:05 AM
There are other online scanners that will at least tell you if you have a virus..

BUT... right now back everything you have up to CD or DVD.. that is really the only way to be safe..

5hift
10-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I realize it sounds stupid, but the only time I've burned anything to DVD has been using clone dvd. Burning to cd would take extremely long, and I'm not exactly sure how I would create a dvd burn folder. With how many people telling me to backup to DVD i'm guessing it shouldnt be too hard, but I'm not sure how to do it, so any suggestions would be great.

Also which online scanners would be the best for searching for a virus?

Toms-SC
10-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Yes it can.

I have a U3 hack drive on me at all times. ;)

Doozer
10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I think some of the confusion for the responses is because people thought you copied from or opened something on the USB drive. It's very true that a USB device (being memory storage) can contain a virus. That's common sense. There's a chance that a virus could've been hidden, or existed in the the word docs that you didn't look at. However, just copying your music onto someone else's USB key is a pretty unlikely way to get a virus.

Having said that, if you opened any of the files on the key, you're definitely increasing your odds of getting someone else's infection. But, if all you did was copy onto the usb drive, you're probably safe. However, a proper (paid for) virus scanner, AND a consistent, logical back-up system is a must for every computer owner these days. You don't need a virus to wake up one day and find your hard drive dead.

googe
10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
it is possible but unlikely.

its possible to embed a virus in an mp3, but it only works in really controlled circumstances and targets a particular program. one has been made before, but its whats known as a proof-of-concept, it isnt intended to actually spread (technically it was a trojan, not a virus - http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-011412-3316-99). it didnt target windows software either. you can be sure this isnt the case, because there are no mp3 viruses going around right now, and unless someone made it especially because they hate you, theres no way you got it before the AV companies.

the other way is that usb sticks support autorun. there actually have been a bunch of viruses spreading through that. its like when you put in a cd and the installer automatically comes up. instead you put in the usb stick and the virus automatically runs. then it watches for when you insert usb sticks, and puts itself on there. in practice these dont spread that well because people dont trade usb sticks that fast. so its unlikely that this happened, but possible. once, mcdonalds gave out viruses to customers this way :D
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/weblog/2006/10/do_you_want_a_virus_with_that.html

an updated antivirus program would have caught either of these right when you inserted it. there arent any going around that are that good at spreading undetected. polymorphism has been around for at least 1000 years and there are a couple very old viruses that can do it well enough to bypass AV, and you didnt get either of these.

if you have a decent av program and its updated, most likely, youre just paranoid :D

5hift
10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
^^

thanks for the replies guys

My computer whiz friend helped me via remote assistance. He didnt find anything serious, a few small things he removed but I was told they were probably already there before the USB fiasco.

I did a few online tests and defraged... seems to be running like normal again...most likely all in my head. I probably did over react out of paranoia but I'd rather that than lose everything on my comp.