PDA

View Full Version : Is my DVD burner broken?

Impreza
10-04-2007, 01:01 AM
I can't burn anything onto dvd's anymore. I used to be able to but not anymore. I use Nero express and when I get to the last step, the "burn" button is "greyed" out. I can't press the button. The weird thing is that I can burn CD's no problem. I tried other software like ImgBurn and it doesnt even have a device tab for me to choose. It is almost as if it can't detect my DVD drive. When I click on device manager, my dvd drive shows up. I have reinstalled the software and firmware and drivers for the DVD drive. I thought it was my computer, so I even went as far as to reformat and it still won't work.

Did my DVD burner just die on me? or is there something I can do?

My dvd burner is an LG GSA-H10N

Pee_Sack
10-04-2007, 01:04 AM
If you put a blank cd in the drive does it prompt you with an auto-run?

If you put a dvd move/game in the drive will it read it?

GQBalla
10-04-2007, 01:04 AM
i it died it most likely wouldn't even be able to burn cd's (im assuming your using the dvd burner to burn cd's)

does the dvd burner still read dvd's and cds?

possibly something else is wrong dunno if its hardware or software yet though

Impreza
10-04-2007, 01:09 AM
When I pop in a blank DVD, nothing happens. It doesn't prompt me, no auto-run, it won't even recognize a blank disc in windows explorer.
When I pop in a DVD movie, however, it recognizes it and it auto runs immediately.

So I am sooo stumped.

Pee_Sack
10-04-2007, 01:14 AM
I would suggest you replace the optical drive. They are so cheap now anyways.

Impreza
10-04-2007, 01:15 AM
So you think it is hardware related problem rather than software related?

GQBalla
10-04-2007, 01:27 AM
most likely ^

thats just a little weird.

Impreza
10-04-2007, 12:14 PM
What would cause that tho? I just find it soo weird since it can still play DVD games, etc...

GQBalla
10-04-2007, 12:59 PM
probably can no longer burn, maybe the writer is burned out? only acting as a dvd rom.

possibly.

Impreza
10-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Weird, cause I can burn CD's. Is this pretty common?

What is a good brand of DVD burner to buy?

dj_rice
10-04-2007, 06:58 PM
I had a similiar problem to this, I could burn music onto CD's but when it came to burning files/movies onto DVD's, it would try to burn and then just sit there spinning, doing nothing, so I exchanged the burner under warranty, got a new one, same thing...whats weird is, if I try to burn stuff off my internal HD, wont work, just spins/freezes, if I do it off my external HD I can burn DVDs..and nobody knows why

And I like Lite-On burners :thumbsup: but currently using Pioneer Visit MemX

arian_ma
10-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Weird, cause I can burn CD's. Is this pretty common?

What is a good brand of DVD burner to buy?

I had this exact same problem, and I thought it wasn't worth my time to try and fix it. So I went to Memex and bought the second most expensive drive they had. Cost me $39.95. IIRC, the most expensive was $44.95.

Honestly man, not worth it at all.

Edit: I bought Pioneer.

mucat
10-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I heard some protection software from PC game could cause this. Maybe try to put that DVD drive into a different machine to see if it works.

Impreza
10-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Looks like I will just buy a new drive. and yes, not worth it at all

dragonone
10-05-2007, 12:09 AM
pioneers are the best!

i have read countless magazines and reviews, the pioneers give the most stable writes
2nd place would be LG

i bought 2 212's myself

ricosuave
10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
before you give up on it, try flashing the drive with an earlier or the latest version of its firmware